ADVERTISEMENT

Question......

Feb 26, 2015
Does it bother anyone else that North Penn has the top enrollment in the state and hasnt really done didly? How does dick beck keep his job so nicely if he doesnt bring home any hardware? Lets be honest...west catholic is a talented AA team but in no way shape or form should they give North Penn a game, like they did for most on friday night

Dick Beck can certainly be criticized in some of the North Penn's playoffs losses over the years. However, in his 13 seasons as head coach, North Penn has been to 9 D1 championship games and won 6 of them. You're right, I have no idea how he keeps his job. Not to mention he always plays the toughest non-league schedule in D1.

I understand all of that. And im discrediting what he has accomplished. But, when you have the talent that comes into that school, all of the students it possess, a fresh team, soph team, jv and varsity, how are you not winning title after title? They should be playing one of the toughest schedules. They should be making it to the d1 finals. They should be also taking home se hardware from hershey...no? Shouldnt we expect the most out of a school like that?

you need to look at the North Penn history. before the Pettine/Beck era NP was a.500 team. I believe they won one league title in the 50 years before Beck became head coach. NP has always been a school with a large enrollment and that is their advantage. You can count the division I players that have come from NP since 1955 on two hands and have fingers left over. It,s a myth that NP has loads of talent. When Beck goes, NP football will again be a .500 program.

you are assuming that the huge enrollment automatically translates to a huge advantage in talent. If that were the case, teams like Upper Darby & Reading would win every year. I have seen NPEnn play at lkeast once a year since Beck took over-oftend times against Ridley in District One Playoffs. Keeping in mind that you can only play 11 guys at a time,I never came away from those Ridley match ups thinking NPenn clearly had much better talent than ridley. Some years maybe they had more, some years less, but i didnt see a huge disparity in talent 11 on 11.

North Penn has a ton of kids but O agree with Speed that does not always translate into talent. I bet the top 10 athletes on Clairton or Aliquippa are better than to top 10 at North Penn and those schools are tiny. I assume that North Penn has a ton of OL/LB/FB/TE but not a ton of WR/CB/FS/ATH. So maybe they are winning enough due to their skill set. Unless you are in the halls you do not know what they do or don't have

Doesn't bother me at all moscowtoopatton how well he does not having information on things other than games viewed. The same has been said often about Coach Weachter at McDevitt-Harrisburg.
Plus, I've never coached and have no idea what he or others are up against anymore than he'd know how to judge my skills loading-off loading 727's, 737s or heavies.

Doesn't bother me at all moscowtoopatton how well he does not having information on things other than games viewed. The same has been said often about Coach Weachter at McDevitt-Harrisburg.
Plus, I've never coached and have no idea what he or others are up against anymore than he'd know how to judge my skills loading-off loading 727's, 737s or heavies.
well the one quote from 00 shoe that NP hasn't had a lot of D1 player is full of crap ! Almost every year NP has its share of D1 athletes and probably has had around 25 since the late 90's. This year again, they have two kids that have committed. The rb and the te. Beck get a lot of very good athletes. Much more than any other team in the area and this has to do with the large and diverse enrollment at NP

ramgreen, as usually you don,t know s... name 5 D1 players NP has had since 1990. The 2 players that have committed this year are going 1AA not D1. Learn the difference. dope.

Ram,

What are you talking about? Name all these Division 1 kids. And don't include 1AA.

You also have to consider the fact that for years Beck has scheduled District 12 powerhouses all of whom have open enrollment not to mention trying to get a 2 year deal with Gateway when they were on top. They have barely slid into the District 1 playoffs or not get in due to this. They had the District's toughest out of conference schedule over the last 6 years, bar none.

Moscow
Who TF do you think you are calling for people's jobs???? It's friggin HS football we are talking about here. These coaches are generally teachers, good coaches, very competitive people and usually good dudes you are firing. Dick has done more than a good job, and is good to his kids. Hardware? Does he have one, or two states? Lots of district and league titles, lots of Ws. It's not professional sports (or the PCL). High school sports has gotten perverted with the influx of ESPN, recruiting, Trent Dilfers, marketing, transfers, $$$$, and delusions of DI scholarships. And don't give me that line of crap about public coaches stepping up and coaching as good as, and as hard as, the private schools hard. There is typically no difference other than access to better players. Geniuses like Gabe and Stevie can't put their head on their pillow at night and truly believe it's all them. High school sports used to be your hood against mine. Now it disgusts me, and you do too!

Since Beck took over in 2002...

District Titles:
North Penn - 6
Neshaminy - 2
Pennsbury - 2
Ridley - 2
Coatesville - 1

Eastern Titles:
North Penn - 2
Coatesville - 1
Neshaminy - 1

State Titles:
North Penn - 1

I think he's doing alright.

I have been a lifelong resident of the NP area (NP grad about 30 years ago) and as much as I would like to jump on the bash Beck bandwagon for issues outside of winning football games (and this posting board is the wrong place to do so) I have to agree that the size of the school plays a small part his winning and losing record.

You also need to include the skill of his staff (some excellent coaches have left to take on new challenges). NP can be twice as large as any other school in the area but that does not translate into having kids walking the halls that want to make the sacrifices to play football at a high level as required to play “big time” high school football.

Then add to the mix kids that have become one sport athletes for whatever reason (time, work, requirement by a coach etc.) and the pool of kids shrink’s quickly.

Plus when you take into consideration the last 10-15 years or so there has been a big change in Philly area high school sports dynamics (it could be state wide but I really do not follow many teams outside our area). Recruiting / open enrollments whatever you want to call it, is out of control.

Everyone is looking out for number 1 and trying to grab the brass ring. I’m not agreeing or disagreeing whether it’s the right thing or wrong thing to do. Trust me my one of my kids was offered a heavily discounted tuition to play a sport in a major prep high school I would be driving him to the school every day. For better or worse the landscape of HS sports are changing.

This is why NP can win the suburban 1 but can’t beat LaSalle and LaSalle can’t beat Prep or why Prep can win B2B state titles but can’t beat Bosco and so on.

Since Beck took over in 2002...

District Titles:
North Penn - 6
Neshaminy - 2
Pennsbury - 2
Ridley - 2
Coatesville - 1

Eastern Titles:
North Penn - 2
Coatesville - 1
Neshaminy - 1

State Titles:
North Penn - 1

I think he's doing alright.

...and not afraid to challenge schedule with the PCL elite over the years, despite taking a few lumps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT