ADVERTISEMENT

Q&A with Upper St Clair athlete David Pantelis

PAPreps.com

Jul 20, 2017
How did the high school football season go overall?
“Overall, I thought our high school football season ended tremendously. Knowing Jim Render is an honor but being able to play for him is truly something I can’t describe. It was a privilege playing for someone so commendable. Although the outcome of the season did not go as expected, I felt I learned many incredible things along the way. Not only did I learn more about the game of football but more importantly, I learned self-discipline and responsibility. The thing that set our team apart from other teams is our staff of coaches. They knew what it took to win, and every single game was determined on whether or not our team was able to execute the plan that was established by our coaches. Our coaches gave us the best opportunity to go out and do that because every game we knew we were more prepared than the next team on our schedule.”

What are your plans now with sports and workouts?
“For right now, I am continuing to play for a W.P.I.A.L Tidal in basketball, focusing more on my body, and keeping myself healthy throughout the off-season. Also, I will continue to push myself because I know someone else like me is doing the exact same thing.”

What are you trying to improve on the most as a player?
“As a player, I am trying most to improve on my overall ability to read an offense or defense and determine the best play call according to what formation the opponent is in. Also, one goal I have set for next season is becoming more of a leader and becoming more vocal with my coaches and teammates. Fortunately enough, last year our senior class exemplified great leadership and I hope to continue to lead by example throughout my time as an Upper St. Clair football player and student.”

How do you feel your team will do next football season?
“I feel last season will have a major impact in determining our success for next year because there is a great deal, we can learn from it. Although the season did not go as planned, I feel next season will be something special as we have a great new staff of coaches and teammates who are willing to do anything possible to win. Overall, next year I feel we can bring a WPIAL championship and State Championship back to USC.”

Who do you feel will be the toughest competition on your schedule next season?
“I feel Upper St Clair’s toughest challenge next year would be ourselves. Frank Thomas said our greatest competitor is none other than the person we see standing in front of. I feel that if we continue to listen, learn, and have a desire to play football, then the winning will just be a byproduct of all the hard work that we put in.”

Do you want to play sports in college? If so, which one?
“Yes, as a matter of fact, I would want to pursue athletics in college. I am mostly interested in continuing playing football rather than basketball, as I am more interested in the overall topic of football. As a young kid, I always dreamt of playing at a high level in athletes, but if I had to pick whether or not it be in football, basketball or baseball, around ninth grade is when I really decided I wanted to pursue football.”

What colleges have been recruiting you?
“I have been talking to a few colleges that include Michigan, Dartmouth, and Pitt. They are all extraordinary schools. For the most part because I am a sophomore in high school, talking to those schools is very important for me as a player because it familiarizes myself with the early process of recruit and distinguishes myself from other players. It perhaps adds a name for myself to alert other schools that are recruiting young football players.”

Have you made any college trips yet?
“In the near future, I will be attending more colleges, but I have only made one college visit to Johns Hopkins University. My older brother, Christopher, is attending their school and is playing on their football team. Fortunate enough, I was able to go to a basketball camp at their University. I hope to visit back soon as I had a lifetime experience. As the school year comes to an end, I will eventually be attending more colleges that I am most interested in.”

Do you have plans for more trips soon?
“Recently, I have scheduled plans to go visit Michigan, Michigan State, Pitt and Penn. Fortunate enough, I am apart of Ethics 7 on 7 football team coached by Darnell Dinkins, who is a former NFL player and has really impacted my life as he has been helping me through the recruitment process. Its honor to be around Darnell and visit different colleges alongside a former NFL player.”

Did you have a favorite college growing up?
“My favorite collage growing up would be able to play football at the University of Notre Dame. The overall feature that sticks out to me the most about their school is their football program. Gathered by a speculator group of players and coaches, a person can only dream of playing for the Fighting Irish.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News