ADVERTISEMENT

Prep--LaSalle

tulla

Oct 27, 2004
I'm expecting a closer, probably much closer, game than the last time.

Does anyone know of starters for either team, other than Trotter, who won't play because of injury?

The forecast is for cold weather. Let's hope it's dry.

Well I really blew the DTE-Coatesville game so maybe I'll get this wrong. I think the equalizer for LS is the bad PCL. Did it lull prep to sleep? LS missed some plays last game maybe they hit on them and get a couple. Prep's speed is a lot of pressure. LS keeps it to 28 at half they gotta chance to shorten the game and make a run. 35-14 prep in the end. Maybe 28-14 in the 4th, Prep scores late. Never in doubt but LS puts up a good fight.
Now with that being said watch it be a barn burner.

I'd like to think that the way people were touting Roman and the way La Salle took care of them means that La Salle is peaking and ready for the rematch. I'd like to think that!!

I'd like to think that the way people were touting Roman and the way La Salle took care of them means that La Salle is peaking and ready for the rematch. I'd like to think that!!
Paul, both you and 6days put your finger on a problem. The PCL was even more unbalanced than usual this year. SJP mercy-ruled all the other five teams, and I can't recall a year when both Ryan and Judge were so far down. There's some reason to think there will be a bit more balance in the years ahead. Roman looks to be making a turn-around, but next year will tell if it has any momentum. Wood will be more experienced, but they're a long way from the 2010-2017 teams.

You must feel encouraged by LaSalle's prospects. From what I hear, their freshman and sophomore classes may be stronger than SJP's.

I'm thinking that who scores the first TD will matter more this Saturday than it usually does. LaSalle has almost no pressure on them. Lose by two or three TDs and people will say they did much better than last time. That's about the margin of a Prep victory I am expecting.

I think Prep will win this game by 3+ TDs. I don’t think it will be close. I see Prep up 17 by the half. LaSalle just doesn’t have the firepower to keep up with them. If LaSalle had a great dual threat QB, they would have a chance.

Tulla, I'll ask you because you seem to have the pulse. How did the switch from Infante to the new coach go? Is this team still Infante's? As you mentioned earlier about the freshman and sophomore classes, is there a down side coming for Prep? I doubt there is a down side coming but hope springs eternal!!

Tulla, I'll ask you because you seem to have the pulse. How did the switch from Infante to the new coach go? Is this team still Infante's? As you mentioned earlier about the freshman and sophomore classes, is there a down side coming for Prep? I doubt there is a down side coming but hope springs eternal!!
Paul, I'm not close enough to feel the pulse but I hear now and then from people who are close to the program. From what I hear, the switch from Infante to Roken went pretty smoothly, though of course they are very different personalities. Roken, I imagine, isn't as much as a natural for recruiting. Remember that Infante persuaded the Reid and Zaccheus families to send their boys across the bridge from Jersey when the Prep program was at a relative low point in the immediate post-Brooks period. Roken is a hard-worker and nobody questions his dedication.

As for the future, I can't remember a time in the last decade or so when there were so few sophomores and freshmen playing for the Prep in situations where there's not a running clock. Next year they return McCord, Harrison, Trotter, Hagens, Cooper, and about six other starters (esp DBs), but they'll be mainly inexperienced along the lines and won't have much depth. I understand there are a handful of promising freshmen (including a younger Trotter) but nothing to compare with the current senior and junior classes. They have good coaches who can develop what talent they have. Next year's freshman class will likely have lots of opportunities.

One other thought. I noticed that in the DC area there are at least four Catholic high schools (DeMatha, St. John's, Good Counsel, and Gonzaga) that play at the level SJP plays. And we all know about the several high-powered programs in North Jersey. But in the Philly area, the Prep is the only team that runs in those circles. Reasons?

I have horrible news! To the contrary Coach Roken is doing better than Coach Infante with the troops. There have been more athletes visiting than ever. After entrance exam it will be more telling? If you are SJP fan, should be no worries.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
I have horrible news! To the contrary Coach Roken is doing better than Coach Infante with the troops. There have been more athletes visiting than ever. After entrance exam it will be more telling? If you are SJP fan, should be no worries.
btm, I wasn't suggesting a drop-off with Roken but just a difference in personality. i.e. less Latin. Glad to hear about interest going forward, but am I wrong that the current freshman and sophomore classes are thinner, maybe a fair bit thinner, in talent than the current senior and junior classes? I understand that it'll always be a rare year when a McCord, Harrison, Trotter, Hagens, and Cooper are in the same class.

Definitely a difference in personality but his is doing well! Freshman have been elevated to varsity level, not saying others have not done so. Next year SJP will be very good.

SJP is not in for a fall off at all under Roken in my opinion. One thing to keep in mind from all sources I am hearing is Lasalle will have a good 22 and 23’ class, and LC and Roman are doing well. Maybe kids will just have more options.

In regards to the DMV and SJP being the only show in Philadelphia like that, Imhotep played a brutal schedule including Bergen and Dematha, but outside of that everyone has been relatively local.

And lets face it-they are mercy ruling everyone by the 3rd quarter. So even if they have a drop off,do they end up winning by 24 instead of 40? They are that far ahead of the pack.

Do they still have the no transfer policy after 9th grade?

Paul, I'm not close enough to feel the pulse but I hear now and then from people who are close to the program. From what I hear, the switch from Infante to Roken went pretty smoothly, though of course they are very different personalities. Roken, I imagine, isn't as much as a natural for recruiting. Remember that Infante persuaded the Reid and Zaccheus families to send their boys across the bridge from Jersey when the Prep program was at a relative low point in the immediate post-Brooks period. Roken is a hard-worker and nobody questions his dedication.

As for the future, I can't remember a time in the last decade or so when there were so few sophomores and freshmen playing for the Prep in situations where there's not a running clock. Next year they return McCord, Harrison, Trotter, Hagens, Cooper, and about six other starters (esp DBs), but they'll be mainly inexperienced along the lines and won't have much depth. I understand there are a handful of promising freshmen (including a younger Trotter) but nothing to compare with the current senior and junior classes. They have good coaches who can develop what talent they have. Next year's freshman class will likely have lots of opportunities.

One other thought. I noticed that in the DC area there are at least four Catholic high schools (DeMatha, St. John's, Good Counsel, and Gonzaga) that play at the level SJP plays. And we all know about the several high-powered programs in North Jersey. But in the Philly area, the Prep is the only team that runs in those circles. Reasons?
Don't forget those monster schools from Baltimore area St Francis and St Johns among others.

And lets face it-they are mercy ruling everyone by the 3rd quarter. So even if they have a drop off,do they end up winning by 24 instead of 40? They are that far ahead of the pack.

Do they still have the no transfer policy after 9th grade?
I'm not aware of a policy prohibiting accepting transfers other than after 9th grade. They'e had some basketball players (Jacob O'Connell, now at Princeton, and Ed Croswell, now at LaSalle) who entered after 10th greade and I think a lineman from Bonner came to the Prep after 10th grade a few years ago. I'm next to certain they would not take anyone after the start of 11th grade (junior year).

SJP is not in for a fall off at all under Roken in my opinion. One thing to keep in mind from all sources I am hearing is Lasalle will have a good 22 and 23’ class, and LC and Roman are doing well. Maybe kids will just have more options.

In regards to the DMV and SJP being the only show in Philadelphia like that, Imhotep played a brutal schedule including Bergen and Dematha, but outside of that everyone has been relatively local.
As I recall, TEP played them but the games were not close at all. Happy to be corrected.

Anybody know how to get ahold of the streaming info for this one? I thought LaSalle streamed all their games, but I don’t see anything on the school website, at least not yet... Thanks.

Anybody know how to get ahold of the streaming info for this one? I thought LaSalle streamed all their games, but I don’t see anything on the school website, at least not yet... Thanks.
There's no streaming because of PIAA rules/fees. Both LaSalle and SJP will have radio broadcasts and LaSalle will make video of the game available 24 hours after the game.

Reactions: 6-2 Stack Monster
But his Twitter feed says he can't do it live this week.
Thanks Tulla, I appreciate the info. Bummer for some out of town folks who asked me about it, but hoping the live atmosphere is as good as the first game this season.

Good for SJP, but really bad for PA HS football.
Marietta has lost twice to public school teams in Georgia since narrowly beating SJP in late August. St John's DC lost to three big-time teams after narrowly losing to SJP and in games against other Washington teams they've had one blow-out win, two close wins, and tonight they're losing to Gonzaga. What does it all mean? It suggests the overall quality of hs football in PA is relatively weak.

Reactions: Relayer
Not sure how measuring LS or the PCL as an indicator for the state this year is applicable. I'm having trouble finding the basis for this. Beat Tep first game,and Tep offense is way down. Let's see what Bonner does this weekend. Beat NP and everyone knows Beck uses the game to figure out what he has. Beat Malvern with a frosh qb and were down, and Haverford had them down, Brown bailed them out of both games (he's a baller for sure). They don't have Brown they may not beat any of these tema. After that they had Prep and one tough team, Wood and they lost. Prep is going to still have serious games coming at them in playoffs. You think these teams are going to lay down? Cmon.

Not sure how measuring LS or the PCL as an indicator for the state this year is applicable. I'm having trouble finding the basis for this. Beat Tep first game,and Tep offense is way down. Let's see what Bonner does this weekend. Beat NP and everyone knows Beck uses the game to figure out what he has. Beat Malvern with a frosh qb and were down, and Haverford had them down, Brown bailed them out of both games (he's a baller for sure). They don't have Brown they may not beat any of these tema. After that they had Prep and one tough team, Wood and they lost. Prep is going to still have serious games coming at them in playoffs. You think these teams are going to lay down? Cmon.
I don't think anyone's going to lie down and I expect the Prep to have at least one tough game ahead. But I'm thinking that if that LaSalle team beat TEP, NP (handily), Malvern, and Haverford then there's reason to think the quality of hs football in SE PA may be less than it was.

The Prep is really good this year, but I'm not sure they are better than the Prep teams in their state championship years. But in those four years they had at least one tough game against a league opponent--LaSalle or Wood and in one year (13?) they lost to Ryan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT