ADVERTISEMENT

Prep- CY

I'm surprised CY did as poorly as they did, ditto Central Dauphin the year before and Harrisburg the year before that. As superior as SJP is and I realize they are profoundly talented, CY, CD and Hbg were good football teams, exceptional for public school teams. I think that gets lost with the margin and constancy of SJP wins.

I told new2pa I felt Governor Mifflin-Pine would be close, feeling as efficiently as they run the Mid Line, with the superior athletes they have (both sides), Singleton and Strausser, behind a big, physical, veteran line that they could hang with this Hawk team. Those that watched with a reasonably keen eye saw that Harrisburg had their moments (CY-CD didn't), competitive for a host of reasons but highly proficient (threatening) at Qb, Kane Everson, the way GM would be with Strausser and Singleton, especially Singleton. Just a thought.
I thought Harrisburg was too sloppy and made too many fundamental errors to hang with a top-caliber team such as the Prep. Hsbg looked to have talent and speed but not nearly as physical and not nearly able to execute like the Prep. You can't have silly penalties (off-sides, motions, etc) and expect to hang with talented, disciplined, and smart kids. Coatesville had the best shot at beating the Prep a few years back, they were just loaded with talent and speed and good size and physicality. North Penn on paper the prior year, IMHO, it was never in question (NP, had 2-3 long 4th down conversions to just hang and there were 2 TD's called back for the Prep. The Prep ran at ease and there were a few fantom calls that kept the Knights in it on paper. Just my observations. On the other side, I felt the year the Prep lost to PCC if they would have run the ball more with their stud line and back they most likely take that one too. But you can't argue though with all their success; they no doubt are doing lots of great things.

I thought Harrisburg was too sloppy and made too many fundamental errors to hang with a top-caliber team such as the Prep. Hsbg looked to have talent and speed but not nearly as physical and not nearly able to execute like the Prep. You can't have silly penalties (off-sides, motions, etc) and expect to hang with talented, disciplined, and smart kids. Coatesville had the best shot at beating the Prep a few years back, they were just loaded with talent and speed and good size and physicality. North Penn on paper the prior year, IMHO, it was never in question (NP, had 2-3 long 4th down conversions to just hang and there were 2 TD's called back for the Prep. The Prep ran at ease and there were a few fantom calls that kept the Knights in it on paper. Just my observations. On the other side, I felt the year the Prep lost to PCC if they would have run the ball more with their stud line and back they most likely take that one too. But you can't argue though with all their success; they no doubt are doing lots of great things.
That's Hbg's m.o., undisciplined with talent all over the field. It wasn't that way when George Chaump was there, 03-10, with "title teams" that were upset by city rival McDevitt in 06, then lost in semi to Pitt CC in 07 14-6, with the best D I've seen at Harrisburg, holding CC to 74 or 84 total yards as I recall, before shutting out Parkland in final. A few Cville teams under Ortega reminded me of the better Hbg teams.

To me the biggest factor of The Prep vs Anyone Else is the glaring lack of two way players on a state championship team. I thought the Prep's o-line played ok but #66 for CY was the best lineman on the field yesterday, consistently beating Prep's o-line across their faces... but he had to turn around and play on the o-line also. CY QB flips to play safety, and on and on. Where else can a player of Harrison's caliber, either of the Trotters, any of the other Prep skill players, not have to turn it around and stay on the field? That's an ENORMOUS advantage. It also means that at practice you get to compete vs your #1s on both sides of the ball.

Did some research on this. Prep hasn't had a two way starter at all during this three-peat. They only had 1 in 2016 (Richard Carr at receiver/safety), had four in 2014 (Swift, Reid, Zaccheus in the secondary and Jake Strain at DE/TE), and two in 2013 (Reid and Steve Robinson at OT/DT). The only other teams with only 2 two-way starters on Big School champs are McKeesport in 1994 and Parkland in 2002.

Three is a little more common (PCC '88, CB West '98 and '99, Neshaminy '01) and so is four (CB West '97, PCC '07, PCC '15, Pine-Richland '17). But historically, most teams have had nearly half of their lineup going both ways to win a title at the highest classification.

5 Two Way Starters: Upper St. Clair '89, North Allegheny '90, CB West '91, Downingtown '96, Central Dauphin '11
6 Two Way Starters: St. Joseph's Prep '03, PCC '04, McKeesport '05, Liberty '08, North Allegheny '10
7 Two Way Starters: Cumberland Valley '92, Erie Cathedral Prep '00, North Penn '03, LaSalle '09, North Allegheny '12
8 Two Way Starters: Penn Hills '95, Upper St. Clair '06,
10 Two Way Starters: North Hills '93

What's impressive about Prep is how disciplined they are about not using their stars going both ways. In Harrison, Hagans, Cooper, Trotter, Harris, Nelson, Lombardi, Burrell are all three and four star recruits who would be exceptional on the other side of the ball. Not a lot of teams have done that. Even that McKeesport '94 team that stayed pretty two-platoon - Brandon Short was playing offense and defense. Jon Ritchie was on both sides of the ball for Cumberland Valley '92. CB West had Picciotti going both ways in '98. Downingtown had Arlen Harris and Dan Ellis on offense and defense. Liberty had four guys who signed NFL contracts in '08, all four played both ways. Cathedral Prep '00 had 7 FBS players, all 7 went both ways. The depth that SJP has to not do that is just incredible.

Did some research on this. Prep hasn't had a two way starter at all during this three-peat. They only had 1 in 2016 (Richard Carr at receiver/safety), had four in 2014 (Swift, Reid, Zaccheus in the secondary and Jake Strain at DE/TE), and two in 2013 (Reid and Steve Robinson at OT/DT). The only other teams with only 2 two-way starters on Big School champs are McKeesport in 1994 and Parkland in 2002.

Three is a little more common (PCC '88, CB West '98 and '99, Neshaminy '01) and so is four (CB West '97, PCC '07, PCC '15, Pine-Richland '17). But historically, most teams have had nearly half of their lineup going both ways to win a title at the highest classification.

5 Two Way Starters: Upper St. Clair '89, North Allegheny '90, CB West '91, Downingtown '96, Central Dauphin '11
6 Two Way Starters: St. Joseph's Prep '03, PCC '04, McKeesport '05, Liberty '08, North Allegheny '10
7 Two Way Starters: Cumberland Valley '92, Erie Cathedral Prep '00, North Penn '03, LaSalle '09, North Allegheny '12
8 Two Way Starters: Penn Hills '95, Upper St. Clair '06,
10 Two Way Starters: North Hills '93

What's impressive about Prep is how disciplined they are about not using their stars going both ways. In Harrison, Hagans, Cooper, Trotter, Harris, Nelson, Lombardi, Burrell are all three and four star recruits who would be exceptional on the other side of the ball. Not a lot of teams have done that. Even that McKeesport '94 team that stayed pretty two-platoon - Brandon Short was playing offense and defense. Jon Ritchie was on both sides of the ball for Cumberland Valley '92. CB West had Picciotti going both ways in '98. Downingtown had Arlen Harris and Dan Ellis on offense and defense. Liberty had four guys who signed NFL contracts in '08, all four played both ways. Cathedral Prep '00 had 7 FBS players, all 7 went both ways. The depth that SJP has to not do that is just incredible.
You can create depth

jhoops18, You have posted 19 messages on this board since Aug 2019 and all of them have been negative comments about the PCL with 15 of them against SJP. You truly are a hater.

You nailed it Roxy...He has post 19 times on this board and all 19 have been some type of negative comments about the PCL with 15 of the 19 calling out SJP for one reason or another. He really is a true hater.

Yawn. Someone brings up facts and problems with the prep and roxy and big head have no response to offer except calling a person a hater. Do you guys have any real debates or offer any insights to the prep or answer any of our questions? Just seems you both respond with trying to bully and offer 0 response worth a damn. I guess you are both Tulla’s cronies or hype men bc you both offer nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: Bighead75
Yawn. Someone brings up facts and problems with the prep and roxy and big head have no response to offer except calling a person a hater. Do you guys have any real debates or offer any insights to the prep or answer any of our questions? Just seems you both respond with trying to bully and offer 0 response worth a damn. I guess you are both Tulla’s cronies or hype men bc you both offer nothing.
You must be on a 15 minute break. Get a banana and get back to your iPad. Try to focus on your school work, there is a test on Friday. I know it’s hard, but try to focus on goals and what you want to be when you grow up.

Let's try something here "Myschoolisbetter". Why don't you bring up the issues you have with the Prep other than borders. Because the border issue can only be handled by the PIAA. St. Joe is not breaking any rules that are set up. They have what is becoming a long history of coaching success. A long history of a successful program. If I were a true "talented" player, where else am I going in the Philly area to get noticed other than the Prep. George Washington? Plymouth Whitemarsh? Central? Ryan? Nope, I'm taking my backside right over to 16th and Girard. That's if I can pass the entrance exam!! (I can't believe I just said all that for the Prep. John Baptiste de La Salle, pray for me!)

You bring up facts........other than borders!

So what are the facts? I haven't seen any facts that SJP is cheating yet. Just made up lies. The SJP problem is made up in your head so there is isn't anything to respond to.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT