Power Ratings: 6A-5A, All games

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
As always, feel free to jump in or on.

Power Ratings 6A
District 12 champ vs District 11 champ
St. Joseph’s Prep 10-0 vs Freedom 12-1….7.92 St. Joseph’s Prep

St. Joe’s breezed past Northeast 49-14 to win their 3rd straight District 12 championship, making short work of the PPL champ by racing out to a 28-7 halftime lead. Kyle McCord was awesome, completing 15 of 20 passes for 186 yards and 4 touchdowns. The Hawk defense had another dominant performance, holding their 8th consecutive opponent to two touchdowns or less. None have done more since St. Peter’s Prep and Our Lady of Good Counsel at the top of the season.
The Vikings will play Phila. Central Thanksgivng Day while the Hawks move on to play Freedom who also cruised to an easy win, disposing of a good Emmaus (11-2) team 49-17. Emmaus’s Ethan Parvel inflicted acceptable damage, completing 14 of 27 for 192 yards, with an active Freedom defense intercepting two, holding him to 32 yards rushing and the team to 68. Freedom rushed for 295 yards with Jalen Stewart getting 182 on 18 carries. Scoring 38ppg, Freedom will score points, but will it be enough and can they keep up with a Hawk team averaging 44 a game with a better defense?
District 7 champ vs District 2/4/6/8/10 champ
Pine Richland 10-2 vs State College 12-1….8.14 State College

Like St. Joe’s, Pine Richland has a special sophomore quarterback (again!) in Cole Spencer who completed 11 of 18 throws for two scores and 160 yards while rushing for 95 where he got another two touchdowns as the Rams defeated Seneca Valley (9-4) 34-7. Luke Meckler added 118 yards. The D also stood out, holding Seneca Valley to 48 yards rushing, in large part on the strength of three picks, one a Pick-6, and two fumbles recovered. The win secured their third WPIAL title in five years. They advance to play State College who had no trouble defeating Delaware Valley. The Lions scored almost every way possible when Dresyn Green went 63 yards for a touchdown on their first play, then added 63, 75 and 81 yard kickoff returns (!), a 52 yard Pick Six and a fumble recovered in the end zone as they hammered Delaware Valley 56-19. State has more weapons to throw at Pine and faced a tougher schedule but this still looks like a war. Both are well coached, suggesting it will be decided by aspects of the game that are always decisive; blown coverage, missed tackles, special teams/field position, etc.
District 1 Final
Coatesville 13-0 vs North Penn 13-0….27.52 Coatesville

Coatesville blew out to a 28-0 halftime lead on the strength of a power running game that produced 328 yards with Aaron Young leading the way, getting 228 yards on 20 carries. You know the O-Line is dominating with a stat like that! They threw 5 passes the entire game. Their defense also dominated coming away with a fumble recovery and two interceptions, one a Pick-6 as the big Coatesville offense rolled to a 42-7 win over previously undefeated Garnet Valley. Scary when you make a good team look bad. With no Thanksgiving Day game that ends it for the Jaguars (12-1) as Coatesville moves on to North Penn in the District Final-Quarterfinals. The Knights are in the district final for the third time in four years after beating Downingtown West 35-21 in a hard fought game at Kottmeyer. Weather influenced the game, being switched to Downingtown’s home field instead of a “home” game for North Penn at Wissahickon. Like Coatesville vs G-Val, it was a dominating performance by North Penn’s O-Line that sprung running back Shamar Edwards (5-9, 190, sr) for a record setting 318 yard performance and scoring three touchdowns. Hats off also to Downingtown (11-2) surviving the loss of Qb Will Howard week-6 by plugging in LB/TE Ryan Wetzel whose performance was stellar. The Coatesville-North Penn game is at Pennridge giving the Knights some advantage although Coatesville travels well. The power rating says Coatesville BIG, but stats don’t play football. And this one looks like a special encounter between two fine teams.
District 3 champ Harrisburg 12-1…bye
Harrisburg beat Central Dauphin last week 16-6 in another war the two are famous for (like SC-CV) and get a bye this week. To make it more fair for all and fun for participating schools, they need to expand the 8 team District-3 field to 12, with the top four getting byes. That would have roped in Dallastown, Cumberland Valley, CD East and Carlisle.

Power Ratings 5A
District 1 Final
Upper Dublin 11-1 vs Rustin 10-2….8.65 Upper Dublin

Upper Dublin halted Unionville’s late season surge, scoring on all four of their first half possessions in an easier than expected 40-7 win over the 11th seeded Indians. Following the 0-3 start, no one expected to see U-ville (6-7) here in the district semi. Nice job. Even fewer felt the Cardinals would be here in their second district final in four years. Maybe they snuck up on some of us but here they are with a 62-12 record the last five years! This is their best offense at 31ppg since the 14-1 district champ that scored 41 a game. The defense is solid as most have been over the years at 11ppg. They have not allowed over 18ppg year ending average in the last 6 years. The win advances them to play Rustin who defeated Penn Wood at Rustin’s field 10-8 on the strength of a Tommy Powers 32 yard field goal with 5: 16 left in the game. The game was supposed to be on Penn Wood’s grass field but had to be moved with the field essentially under water. Come on! You have to wonder how that field goal would have gone on a wet, sloppy field? The Patriots end the year at 11-2 with both losses coming against Rustin.
District 3 Final
Manheim Central 12-0 vs Cocalico 10-2….21.29 Manheim Central

Manheim Central defeated Cedar Cliff 42-20 in a battle royale where the Barons got three third quarter scores to pull away from the Colts with the score at 21-20 MC. It was quite a game with Cedar Cliff’s Qb Chris Dare going down in the first half, replaced by Bobby Whalen (128 rush yards). Jaheim Morris had 102 on 22 carries but Central had more. Qb Evan Simon went 7 of 19 for 239 yards throwing three touchdowns to two picks. The Colts 5-3 did a number on MC’s great back Tyler Flick, holding him to 22 yards. With no Thanksgiving Day games in the district, Cedar Cliff calls it quits at 10-3. MC moves on to their 22nd finals appearance (!) for a rematch with fellow LL-2 member Cocalico, who they defeated 41-23 Sept 28th. The Eagles are here after pasting York High 61-35. They held York’s super back Dayjure Stewart to 138 yards, with Stewart becoming the 9th player in Pennsylvania history to go over 3000 yards in a season. Cocalico exploded for 33, 2nd half points, pounding the ball for a season high 474 yards rushing behind their massive line of Colin Hall 6-0 280, Brock Gingrich 6-3 275, Chase Ochs 6-2 240, Jose Hoover 6-0 230, Evan Dunn 6-6 230 and TE Ben Sola 6-1 190. Garrett Longenecker had 234 yards with qb Noah Palm getting 116 and 5 Tds.
District 12 champ vs District 2/6/8/10/11 champ
Archbishop Wood 8-3 vs Hollidaysburg 9-4….21.16 Archbishop Wood

Wood had no trouble with Simon Gratz, erupting for 22 first quarter points with a healthy Jack Colyar back under center in his second game since the injury. He threw for 158 yards and four touchdown. It was a balanced offense, getting 211 yards rushing, bolstered by an overwhelming defense that stymied Gratz, holding them to 18 yards rushing. Heck of a year for Coach Kyle Adkins in his first year and for the team in bouncing back from opening losses to McDonogh (Coylar inj’d) and Bergen Catholic that could have sunk a lesser team and staff. The win was also their third straight district title and tenth in the last eleven years. But the bigger prize is the quest for their third straight state title if they get past Hollidaysburg. The Golden Tigers shutdown Wallenpaupack (9-4) 31-0, frustrating the Buckhorns into 13 penalties for 140 yards, just short of their total yardage of 162 yards. The Tigers crafty quarterback Brady Walters had them guessing, rushing for 148 yards and 2 scores while completing 9 of 12 passes for 102 yards. Nate Fisher had 96 yards. The Tigers have been around. Not like Wood but they’ve played the big boys, losing to State College 49-22, Cedar Cliff 41-31 and Fort Hill-MD (11-0) 19-7. Both are road warriors so the trip to Hershey at Milton Hershey High shouldn’t influence.
District 7-WPIAL Final
Penn Hills 13-0 vs West Allegheny 10-2….9.65 Penn Hills

Terry “Tank” Smith’s touchdown with 3:32 left in the game iced Penn Hills comeback from a 14-0 deficit against Peters Township to pull out a 22-14 win in the WPIAL semifinal. Heck of a year for Peters ending 10-3. Qb Hollis Mathis threw for 138 yards (9/28?), two touchdowns and two picks while Tank Smith had 78 yards rushing. Dante Cephus caught five passes for 86 yards. West Allegheny engineered one of the shockers of the season stunning previously undefeated Gateway 42-28. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Gator Qb Brendan Majocha completed 21 of 31 for 338 yards but that was all they had as West Allegheny’s defense was suffocating, holding them to 46 yards rushing. Wow! West A rushed for 342 yards with Nico Flati getting 132 rushing and four touchdowns as Kam Kruze completed 6 of 10 passes for 144 yards and three scores. Renown coach Bob Palko who will retire at the end of the season gets at least one more game and a shot at another Wpial title. This is a nice comeback for both teams following decent but disappointing seasons. Penn Hills (8-4) lost to Central Catholic in two tight games and to North Allegeny and Pine Richland where they were handled, all on the road. West Allegheny went 7-3 with two 1 point losses and a 7 point loss. If defense wins games, this one goes to Penn Hills.

Last edited:
Stalker, I usually don't disagree with you, but I would question whether State College really played a stronger schedule. I would think that P-R's schedule including:

1. IMG
2. NA
3. PCC
4. Seneca x2

Would match up well with SC who had:

1. Harrisburg
2. St. Augustine
3. Central Dauphin
4. Holidaysburg

Most of the rest were tomato cans, including Lebo for P-R.

Looking forward to this game. Hope the weather holds out.

Great work Stalk. These are always the most informative posts. I appreciate the time and effort you put into them. Happy Thanksgiving!

Stalker, I usually don't disagree with you, but I would question whether State College really played a stronger schedule. I would think that P-R's schedule including:

1. IMG
2. NA
3. PCC
4. Seneca x2

Would match up well with SC who had:

1. Harrisburg
2. St. Augustine
3. Central Dauphin
4. Holidaysburg

Most of the rest were tomato cans, including Lebo for P-R.

Looking forward to this game. Hope the weather holds out.

new2pa,
I could/should just as easily said “arguably” when comparing SC’s schedule difficulty to PR’s. Will say, I eliminate an exaggerated team like IMG when comparing schedules since….no one can compare to them except another exaggeration like St. Francis-Balt, SJBosco, STA, Mater Dei, etc.
For PR, I’d consider counting Lebo as they are a challenge and well coached. I feel they’re a Program, meaning they may not have the tools on a given year but with their tradition/coaching, are always competent in technique, etc, playing 4 quarters.
And where you listed Hollidaysburg, I’d also list Chambersburg. Hollidaysburg for lack of a better phrase is “one of those teams”. Not overly talented but with a few player who can hurt you. They’ll lose to overpowering teams like State High, Cedar Cliff, Fort Hill-Md but compete, then almost always beat everyone else, excepting the slip vs McDowell. Wood should beat them convincingly but they won’t fold. Don’t let them stay in the game.
Thanks PA2CA and HSFballFan19. Being from central PA, I’ve always had an interest in the entire state. Living off and on in Pittsburgh, college in Harrisburg, girlfriends at East Stroudsburg Univ, should say the Tannersville Inn throwing down a few Gennys got me around.

Stalk - makes sense as usual! I had heard good things about Hollidaysburg but did not know about Chambersburg.

You are correct about Lebo programatically. They just can't seem to get over the hump out here. However, they did beat PCC and anytime you can do that, its saying something.

Stalk - makes sense as usual! I had heard good things about Hollidaysburg but did not know about Chambersburg.

You are correct about Lebo programatically. They just can't seem to get over the hump out here. However, they did beat PCC and anytime you can do that, its saying something.
New- Lebo was a power house in 70s and 80s and heron had them strong on and off 90s onto 2000s. The word I have is the current coach is a straight jerk, does not build from ground up with middle schools and youth. Kids that are very good are not playing football and I really think he will be out sooner than later. If this happens you will see a team that will compete with the big boys once again. Their 9th and I think 10th are loaded and they always have size on the lines.

Reactions: new2pa
New- Lebo was a power house in 70s and 80s and heron had them strong on and off 90s onto 2000s. The word I have is the current coach is a straight jerk, does not build from ground up with middle schools and youth. Kids that are very good are not playing football and I really think he will be out sooner than later. If this happens you will see a team that will compete with the big boys once again. Their 9th and I think 10th are loaded and they always have size on the lines.

Soup13
When you hear a coach is a straight jerk, etc, it often means he’s tough, a disciplinarian. Melnyk’s record is 46-30, 2012-2018. He was intense at Manheim Township before coming to ML, really turning things around his final 8-9 years.
Going from 2 conferences to 1 was an adjustment for all the teams, learning new teams, schedules, venues and so on. And remember they graduated a decent Qb Stocker and state record setting receiver Aidan Cain (1700-1800 yds). He may be a jerk but I remember him as super intense. Not crazy like Cantafio (Wyo Val West, Wilson, Cedar Cliff, OC/QB Coatesville) just very intense. Just a thought.

Reactions: Soup13 and new2pa
Soup13
When you hear a coach is a straight jerk, etc, it often means he’s tough, a disciplinarian. Melnyk’s record is 46-30, 2012-2018. He was intense at Manheim Township before coming to ML, really turning things around his final 8-9 years.
Going from 2 conferences to 1 was an adjustment for all the teams, learning new teams, schedules, venues and so on. And remember they graduated a decent Qb Stocker and state record setting receiver Aidan Cain (1700-1800 yds). He may be a jerk but I remember him as super intense. Not crazy like Cantafio (Wyo Val West, Wilson, Cedar Cliff, OC/QB Coatesville) just very intense. Just a thought.
Stalk - Great stuff as usual but had Morgan back who played as much as Stalker and a lot of skill with Ventrone, DeCarlo, Vaughn, Jones,Palmer, Ventrone is a D1 talent but not used much on O? Huge athletic line in Nelson, Taback to name a couple. His teams are very undisciplined and that starts at the top, can’t keep core coaching staff as 2-3 more assistance will be moving on once again. He Beats the weaker teams and a once proud program is a tick above average with a lot of talent year after year. The recent years he was 9-2 and 7-4 talent was really loaded and quick exit from playoffs.

Reactions: new2pa
I’ve heard around at games that after this year lebo’s entire coaching staff will be gone, not sure how much truth that holds but I’d agree with soup. I have no idea what melnyk’s coaching style is like or how he runs stuff internally at Lebo, but imo he’s had a lot of talented players over the past few years. His teams should’ve been way better than they were, this year included. Many talented players over the years but they can’t put it together. Mercy ruled by PR in ‘15 wpial quarterfinals after going 9-2 and almost upsetting Woodland Hills, arguably their most loaded team ‘16 going 7-3 in the regular season then losing to Sv at home in the first round, going 6-5 last year with a record setting receiver and other good stable of skill guys and D1 linemen, and finally this past year the season they had was definitely mediocre with arguably the best QB in the wpial on their team. When I saw them play they were completely one dimensional and no interest in running the ball. QB scrambling on pass plays was only type of run game they really had. Their o line wasnt all that impressive when I saw them so perhaps they couldn’t run consistently but being one dimensional in 6A is never a good recipe.

I know lebo fresh team has a pretty legit QB and their only loss was to PR by a point or something. I read they only graduate 15 from the team and a lot of talent and experience will be back. Nelson, jones, ventrone to name a few. A good coach could turn them around imo.

Last edited:
How cool would it be for Upper Dublin and Wood to meet in the finals? Two schools 9 miles apart meeting for the championship of the entire commonwealth.

How cool would it be for Upper Dublin and Wood to meet in the finals? Two schools 9 miles apart meeting for the championship of the entire commonwealth.

I take it Upper Dublin will be a huge underdog to Manheim Central? The BPI has MC a 39 point favorite.

I take it Upper Dublin will be a huge underdog to Manheim Central? The BPI has MC a 39 point favorite.
Maybe their best team with extreme passing capability and a great back; size, speed, etc. But anything can happen as we know with so many examples of that, eg State College who had one of the best teams losing to Pine Richland. Maybe Pine got it together at the right time. I realize they're an excellent team but so was SC.

Soup13
Stalk- Melnyk is out. Also throw in that he only had something like 6 wins against teams with winning record in 7 years. Your research is much better than mine but it a crazy number. The s earch begins for the next Art Walker Sr...

Stalk- Melnyk is out. Also throw in that he only had something like 6 wins against teams with winning record in 7 years. Your research is much better than mine but it a crazy number. The s earch begins for the next Art Walker Sr...
Thanks. Interesting hearing the things said here. Maybe he peaked at Manheim Township where he was a so-so 75-63 in 13 seasons. Guess beating PCC didn't help, and ending 3-1. 6A-Quad is brutal playing CC, NA, PR, SV with crossover games against Gateway and old rival USC. Brutal! But great tradition at Lebo….a little long in the tooth....but hopefully someone awakens the ghosts as they were really something not all that long ago. Soup, my research is no better than yours. It's just research, with some passion and hard work thrown in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soup13
Thanks. Interesting hearing the things said here. Maybe he peaked at Manheim Township where he was a so-so 75-63 in 13 seasons. Guess beating PCC didn't help, and ending 3-1. 6A-Quad is brutal playing CC, NA, PR, SV with crossover games against Gateway and old rival USC. Brutal! But great tradition at Lebo….a little long in the tooth....but hopefully someone awakens the ghosts as they were really something not all that long ago. Soup, my research is no better than yours. It's just research, with some passion and hard work thrown in.
Stalk - Pgh CC was down and Lebo had the best qb of all teams, matched up with skill and size on all teams you mentioned except pine’s line size. In prior years when he was really loaded they lost in 1st play off games with top player in conference in his arsenal. SV is not a power house, had a very good year and has a very good coach. i talked to a few assistant coaches and parents I know and parents of kids who started, not that got looked over and have an ax to grind...It came down to him not beating teams that were above 500, culture, staff turn over, etc... too much talent to be mediocre. With the right hire you will see them beat pgh cc, pine and na as they did before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT