ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA District 1 Playoff Predictions

Must be nice for SJP and the D3 schools to have a bye last weekend. They don't need to worry about losing their best player like CBW did. Cathedral Prep has two byes in the first three weeks. Go back to 4 classes, this curent system ain't working.
Guys can and do get a blown-out knee in practice but point taken. They keep trying to put a square peg (6 classes) in a round hole (4 classes), and this is what you get. A bunch of pieces, i.e., the aforementioned D3 6As, ECP, etc, that just don't fit. 4 classes always worked except in today's wussed out world.

Fletch -

You love that potential for an all CB schools semi-final game and then an all D-Town schools semi-final matchup.

Think there's some talent in those "split" districts or what (what if CBS hadn't been split off CBW??),

Kind of aggressive with the final of the CBW over GV pick - yes/no?

I have to think your picks are pretty good except I'm "worried" about the Bucks missing their stud (GV can play some ball -- and they've been playing some solid ball over the last 15 years or so).

I'd like to see a D-Town school vs. CB school Final so we'll see ...
An All CB and Dtown Semis would be pretty cool, second only to a SkinsFalcons and Dtown Semi.

CBW-GV score is much more about GV than CBW. GV has struggled of late against some competition that most wouldn’t put in the upper tier (SH aside). GV by 7 over OJR tells me they’re down more than people think this year.

DEast seems to be a few steps ahead of the rest of the field. A team must get up a few scores early via turnovers, special teams, etc to avoid being mauled by that running game. In a close game or playing with a lead, the playaction game is just a killer.

Reactions: HSFB99
It seemed to me GV really wanted to force West’s DBs (especially their Corners) to make tackles. Most of their runs found their way around the edge. Both offenses were really clicking. GV defense had no answer for a lot of those unbalanced looks from West. Taylor was just unbelievable running the ball (and he had the game winning blocked PAT). What a great high school football player.

West South will be interesting next week with McFadden out. If I remember correctly, he had a huge night the first time they met. I’ll still take Wests ground game over South’s. I think West finds a way to get it done and advance to the finals again.

You're missing the point. Every team is banged up but not every team loses their best player during the playoffs. Especially on a remarkable season like cb west is having. They will keep on playing but won't be nearly the same team without him.
I didn’t think West used him nearly as much as they should have. They don’t pass often and putting him out as a receiver was not exactly getting the ball in his hands.

Weather looking unseasonably warm on Friday night. With three run heavy teams and one pass happy team, the weather advantage goes to Dtown West. Not sure that will help them enough to challenge Dtown East, but it's better than cold and rainy.

5. CB South by 7 over 1. CB West - Injuries at key spots finally comes back to haunt the Bucks.

2. DEast by 21 over 6. DWest - Power over finesse.

5. CB South by 7 over 1. CB West - Injuries at key spots finally comes back to haunt the Bucks.

2. DEast by 21 over 6. DWest - Power over finesse.
Fletch,where would you find if there is cash at the gate for these games ? Im interested in CB South/D West and St Joe Prep/ nazareth . Thanks

5. CB South by 7 over 1. CB West - Had a feeling injuries were going to catch up to West, but didn't think it would get that far away from them

2. DEast by 21 over 6. DWest - Massive upset in my mind. West's front 7 did a crazy job of withstanding the East OL and the West O did just enough to eek out the win. Shocking win for the Whippets.

6. DWest by 10 over 5. CB South - Both teams avenged a regular season loss with a District 1 Semi win over their arch rivals. I think the top of the Chesmont is just a few steps ahead of the top of the SOL right now.

The winner of this game tomorrow should be playing Nazareth, just like the good ole days. I am fine with the PCL being in the PIAA, but when a program becomes a national power, they need to move elsewhere.

Reactions: Fletchster1
The winner of this game tomorrow should be playing Nazareth, just like the good ole days. I am fine with the PCL being in the PIAA, but when a program becomes a national power, they need to move elsewhere.
It’s two fold: (1) 6A administrations need to stand up for their kids and their football programs. Force PIAA to make a change. (2) SJP administration should pull their football program out of the PIAA playoffs. Go play some all star team from some other state and avoid O’Doyle Rules-type games against PA boundary schools.

Reactions: solfootballfan
Just don’t understand what SJP gets out of beating up boundary schools in the PIAA playoffs. Picking kids from a 45 mile radius in one of the largest cities in the country is just a bit of an advantage.

Can CB South just schedule a consolation game with Nazareth next week?

• Haha
Reactions: Bighead75
Just don’t understand what SJP gets out of beating up boundary schools in the PIAA playoffs. Picking kids from a 45 mile radius in one of the largest cities in the country is just a bit of an advantage.

Can CB South just schedule a consolation game with Nazareth next week?
I hope South can keep it close. BTW players choose to attend the Prep. The Prep just doesnt wave a majic wand and players appear.

Reactions: Bighead75
I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade. South had a magnificent season. They have absolutely zero chance against SJP. I’ll be surprised if they run for 100 yards vs SJP’s starters (who will be out midway through the 3rd Q at the latest).

Most likely Rover. Keep in mind, CBS beat FJ 13-10 in the beginning of the year (South was losing in the 4th Q if I remember correctly). I know comparing scores is not fool proof. CBS has improved from that time. If they played again, I’d bet CBS beats them by a wider margin.

However, I don’t care when SJP would have played FJ. Just based on talent alone (yes SJP has arguably the best staff in the state), this game will not be close.

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade. South had a magnificent season. They have absolutely zero chance against SJP. I’ll be surprised if they run for 100 yards vs SJP’s starters (who will be out midway through the 3rd Q at the latest).
In contrast to Nazareth, South isn't much of a passing threat, and Prep will play man against the wideouts and put the other 9 in the box. 100 yards would be an achievement. And, if the QB is out and can't play, then their running attack becomes totally one dimensional and it's even worse.

Most likely Rover. Keep in mind, CBS beat FJ 13-10 in the beginning of the year (South was losing in the 4th Q if I remember correctly). I know comparing scores is not fool proof. CBS has improved from that time. If they played again, I’d bet CBS beats them by a wider margin.

However, I don’t care when SJP would have played FJ. Just based on talent alone (yes SJP has arguably the best staff in the state), this game will not be close.
South recently has been very bad in week 0 games, so I don't think that game says much, but certainly agree that South is MUCH better that they were early in the year. They also lost to East early on. With that said, I don't see it being anything but ugly.

South recently has been very bad in week 0 games, so I don't think that game says much, but certainly agree that South is MUCH better that they were early in the year. They also lost to East early on. With that said, I don't see it being anything but ugly.
I've been saying sjp will mercy rule everyone through the playoffs. The amount of talent they have on that team is unreal. They were already stacked and had two 4 star junior transfer this year. I think out of the 3 other 6A schools combined harrisburg has one 3 star sophomore tackle where sjp has a whole team of 3 and four stars. Next year will be much of the same. NA has an extremely good team and doesn't stand a chance as well. I would have loved to see Nazareth vs cb south and the winner playing either Harrisburg or NA. All games would be competitive and fare. Instead we get another year of mercy ruled games by the traveling all star team. Even though prep isn't breaking piaa rules they take full advantages of the advantages given to them and it makes for a very uneven playing field and isn't fare. They will never have a down year or have to rebuild. They will continue to bring the talent in. We don't have these issues or teams on the western part of the state. All 6 wpial champs were public schools.

Last edited:
BTW players choose to attend the Prep.
I don't think players can just show up and get into the school and on the roster. Prep chooses the players from a 45 mile radius that includes one of the largest cities in the USA.

Honest question.
Does all boundary schools have equal radius from which they can draw students?
Every area is geographically very different. The CB schools, Council Rock, West Chester & Downingtown are split as evenly as possible, but their geographic areas can be spread out (DT East) or a little ore dense but a small area (DTW)

Honest question.
throughout PA, most boundary schools' distance-covered coincides with "townships" and boroughs, which could have been "drawn" 200 years ago. In the Western Pa, these municipalities might be 2 square miles, they might be 90 square miles. A school "district" is usually composed of anywhere from 1 to 5 combined municipalities

Good point.

Neshaminy is made up of Langhorne (Borough), Langhorne Manor, Penndel, Hulmeville and then Middletown Township and Lower Southampton Township.

I'm thinking there are 75,000 people in those areas and it has been somewhere in that range for a while. The difference for the school is that in 1970 there were 3 grades in the senior high with 3300 kids. Currently in the four year high school I'm betting it's 2500 in all.

I may be off a bit but the population has aged and/or my generation grew up in large families with lots of kids now it's 1 and 2 kid families (it seems). I checked some stats and found that in 1970 the District has 55,000. In 2000 it was 69,000 and in 2010 it hit 70,000. It may be up a bit but the new building in the District is more retirement style communities.

What's it all mean? Hmmm - makes me nervous to think the endless supply of young bodies may be drying up.

Good point.

Neshaminy is made up of Langhorne (Borough), Langhorne Manor, Penndel, Hulmeville and then Middletown Township and Lower Southampton Township.

I'm thinking there are 75,000 people in those areas and it has been somewhere in that range for a while. The difference for the school is that in 1970 there were 3 grades in the senior high with 3300 kids. Currently in the four year high school I'm betting it's 2500 in all.

I may be off a bit but the population has aged and/or my generation grew up in large families with lots of kids now it's 1 and 2 kid families (it seems). I checked some stats and found that in 1970 the District has 55,000. In 2000 it was 69,000 and in 2010 it hit 70,000. It may be up a bit but the new building in the District is more retirement style communities.

What's it all mean? Hmmm - makes me nervous to think the endless supply of young bodies may be drying up.
And the best ones are being plucked away by a handful of private schools. The gap between the haves and have-nots is going to continue to widen. Like you said I hope overall player participation does not continue. Young men need the game more than ever, and all of the life lessons that the game teaches that you will never get from a club sport.

Honest question.
No, that is why male students 9-11 define classifications. Works great with boundaries, not so much when a school can handpick their enrollment.
Every area is geographically very different. The CB schools, Council Rock, West Chester & Downingtown are split as evenly as possible, but their geographic areas can be spread out (DT East) or a little ore dense but a small area (DTW)
DTW is actually more spread-out that DTE. Both schools get a piece of the borough, but DTW extends all the way south to north in the district.

No, that is why male students 9-11 define classifications. Works great with boundaries, not so much when a school can handpick their enrollment.
Understandable but if I had a bigger pool to select from the male students from 9-11 really wouldn’t matter. Meaning if my radius is 10 miles and yours 5 miles. I could pick from 5000 to your 2500. Still only accepting 200, but the opportunity is there.

Understandable but if I had a bigger pool to select from the male students from 9-11 really wouldn’t matter. Meaning if my radius is 10 miles and yours 5 miles. I could pick from 5000 to your 2500. Still only accepting 200, but the opportunity is there.
And that’s why there are size classifications?

Population density is nullified by number of male students in 9-11 for boundary schools. Population density increases the pool for number of male students in 9-11 for non-boundary schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT