ADVERTISEMENT

Pennridge to begin another National HC Search

I understand they underperformed substantially relative to expectations, but I’m very surprised they only gave him one year.

Reactions: bucksftball
I understand they underperformed substantially relative to expectations, but I’m very surprised they only gave him one year.
Agreed, obviously no idea what was going on inside the program, but it’s still unusual to only get one year.

Who do they turn to now? Last go around, it seemed like Rowan was Plan A, and Plan B, C, D seemingly didn’t exist (hence them turning late to a low level assistant that has never had any coordinating experience). I can’t imagine Rowan revisits this opening, right? Were there any other finalists last time?

Using parent surveys to factor in the evaluation process, really? What a joke. Coaching today is a thankless job. I've been coaching middle school sports for almost 20 years. The nonsense I've seen over the past couple years is slowly driving me away.

Who do they turn to now? Last go around, it seemed like Rowan was Plan A, and Plan B, C, D seemingly didn’t exist (hence them turning late to a low level assistant that has never had any coordinating experience). I can’t imagine Rowan revisits this opening, right? Were there any other finalists last time?I
I never heard any names other than Rowan last time, doesn't mean there weren't any, but that was the only one that leaked out. I still think it's a really good job, but I don't know any other details outside of the fact that they seem to have a good supply of talent.

His team was very competitive this year week to week. He was given almost no time to install a program. How can any coach be successful with wins on the field if only given 7 weeks before camp begins. This is a bad move by Pennridge admin

Using parent surveys to factor in the evaluation process, really? What a joke. Coaching today is a thankless job. I've been coaching middle school sports for almost 20 years. The nonsense I've seen over the past couple years is slowly driving me away.
That's what jumped out at me too, 'player/parent surveys'. We sure have come a long way from coaches wielding near absolute power to the wussdom of today's parents and players. Congrats on your patience relayer.

Reactions: Relayer
His team was very competitive this year week to week. He was given almost no time to install a program. How can any coach be successful with wins on the field if only given 7 weeks before camp begins. This is a bad move by Pennridge admin
I don’t necessarily disagree. I believe the idea behind hiring him was the continuity he’d provide (current asst who was keeping the staff in place, the program was on a good track, they had a massive and talented senior class returning, etc). My point being it was far from a rebuild. Their lack of wins was somewhat inexcusable. Again, I don’t believe he should have been fired after a year, but I do understand the frustration on both sides.

I don’t necessarily disagree. I believe the idea behind hiring him was the continuity he’d provide (current asst who was keeping the staff in place, the program was on a good track, they had a massive and talented senior class returning, etc). My point being it was far from a rebuild. Their lack of wins was somewhat inexcusable. Again, I don’t believe he should have been fired after a year, but I do understand the frustration on both sides.
They need a better offensive play caller. Too many drives were stopped inside the 20. If Pennridge gets in on those drives they most likely have a .500 record and make the playoffs.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't one of the reasons admin hired Burgy was by the request of players and parents? Now they want him out? Doesn't sound like the whole story.

Unless the headline was just a tease, who is Pennridge that they can justify a National search?
It was sarcasm as last time the Pennridge AD announced a nationwide search was underway and then the leading candidate emerged from less than 10 miles away and an existing assistant was subsequently hired.

Reactions: Stalker
They need a better offensive play caller. Too many drives were stopped inside the 20. If Pennridge gets in on those drives they most likely have a .500 record and make the playoffs.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't one of the reasons admin hired Burgy was by the request of players and parents? Now they want him out? Doesn't sound like the whole story.
Didn’t they bring in someone specifically to install and run the new offense? I know the players were pushing for Burgy but that’s fairly common that kids will want someone with whom they’re familiar. When Rowan was the candidate it was leaked all over the place, probably by people with agendas both pro and con, which I’m sure was tough to swallow by the existing staff and some of the players. I’m pretty certain that there were parents pushing hard for Rowan also.

It’s hard to say whether it was justified or not, without having more inside info on what went on within the program. You can look back to the beginning of the year when after the loss to DTE, their best player told a reporter that he though they would smoke them… there was a very high level of confidence that this was going to be a very good team, not one that gets to .500 if things go their way. Inability to execute an extra point was obviously a big problem. Quakertown loss to end the year might have been the final nail.

Reactions: newman107
Didn’t they bring in someone specifically to install and run the new offense? I know the players were pushing for Burgy but that’s fairly common that kids will want someone with whom they’re familiar. When Rowan was the candidate it was leaked all over the place, probably by people with agendas both pro and con, which I’m sure was tough to swallow by the existing staff and some of the players. I’m pretty certain that there were parents pushing hard for Rowan also.

It’s hard to say whether it was justified or not, without having more inside info on what went on within the program. You can look back to the beginning of the year when after the loss to DTE, their best player told a reporter that he though they would smoke them… there was a very high level of confidence that this was going to be a very good team, not one that gets to .500 if things go their way. Inability to execute an extra point was obviously a big problem. Quakertown loss to end the year might have been the final nail.
Doesn't anyone think the group that hired him is at fault? They are expected to at least have a clue....right?
If I hired/promoted someone who was a total disaster for Fed-Ex, the military and another concern, I'd be called on the carpet for MY ineptness. It's not the other guy's fault for taking a job.

Of course, you have to be dealing with mature men/women for that scenario to play out. Maybe they should take another survey.

Doesn't anyone think the group that hired him is at fault? They are expected to at least have a clue....right?
If I hired/promoted someone who was a total disaster for Fed-Ex, the military and another concern, I'd be called on the carpet for MY ineptness. It's not the other guy's fault for taking a job.

Of course, you have to be dealing with mature men/women for that scenario to play out. Maybe they should take another survey.
The AD should absolutely be taking the blame... Again, it's hard to know who else was a serious candidate outside of Rowan, as that was the only name that became public knowledge.

Reactions: Stalker
The guy had 25 returning seniors from a playoff team the prior year. He was on that staff. Im sure they wont hire anyone this time that doesnt have HC DC or OC exsperience.

Reactions: bucksftball
The guy had 25 returning seniors from a playoff team the prior year. He was on that staff. Im sure they wont hire anyone this time that doesnt have HC DC or OC exsperience.
25 guys back from a playoff team that you can say under performed that year as well... even without Phil that team should have 100% been in the playoffs again.

Does Hegen, the AD, hire a CB West guy? Or do they really look for a guy to take program to the next level?
Not sure he has a lot of options for West guys... Cuthbert is the AD at OJR, is Felton an option? I think he had his shot at Rowan and couldn't close the deal, so my gut says they look outside the Pennridge / CB West community.

If the AD blows it 2xs in a row he should be fired himself. Too much talent at PR to stink the joint out.

Not sure he has a lot of options for West guys... Cuthbert is the AD at OJR, is Felton an option? I think he had his shot at Rowan and couldn't close the deal, so my gut says they look outside the Pennridge / CB West community.
Is Armstrong an option? or does he stay at Wood?

I heard the big tackle, left or is transferring to PJP. If so that's a big lost and their depth wasn't very deep last year after the starters.

Is Armstrong an option? or does he stay at Wood?

I heard the big tackle, left or is transferring to PJP. If so that's a big lost and their depth wasn't very deep last year after the starters.
Wood is in serious trouble with quality athletes presently. Haywood was a transfer from MCD when it closed and I hear he is moving close to Pottsown. He was a bright spot returning. I would like Armstrong to remain at Wood and attempt to build back the program within the next few years , but I doubt it will happen.

Wilson, has Beller had success? The name sounds familiar, but I don’t recall what he has done. It seems like a good idea to get someone with HC experience after the last go-around. Any other candidates?

I don't know anything about him. Just heard the name as one who applied. Whether thats true I couldnt tell you. Whoever gets the job should be a good pick. They can't afford to blow it again.

Beller took over at Dieruff when they were on a 30 game losing streak. He had them at .500 in his second season, and went 22-37, which on its face is not a great record but at Dieruff is a miracle.

The last two years he’s been the DC at Whitehall with Senneca for two state playoffs in 5A

Hearing it’s Beller, but from someone not affiliated with the school, so…
Have heard that also, but like you, not from anyone close enough to the situation to take it as 100%. Should be a school board meeting next week I believe when they will make any hire official.

Last edited:
Sounds like a disaster up there. Took AD months to hire the last guy (from in-house?), then only gave him 5 months…this new search process is two months old…and the finalist is a guy they interviewed last go round?!? So AD has interviewed this guy like 5 times in 8 months for the same job? If I ran my business like this I’d be out of business. District in the news a lot …not for good stuff. Shame for the kids. Anyone running an off-season for them?

Reactions: lilromeo
Sounds like a disaster up there. Took AD months to hire the last guy (from in-house?), then only gave him 5 months…this new search process is two months old…and the finalist is a guy they interviewed last go round?!? So AD has interviewed this guy like 5 times in 8 months for the same job? If I ran my business like this I’d be out of business. District in the news a lot …not for good stuff. Shame for the kids. Anyone running an off-season for them?
Reminds me of Woods situation last year with their delays. They ended losing 7 starters including their QB .

It gets worse… sounds like Beller fell through and won’t be hired. Supposedly looking at Kevin Zebluim from North Penn. What a mess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT