ADVERTISEMENT

PCL Two-Decade Teams 2000-19

Great list. I probably would of had Savage at QB for O'Hara and I'm not too sure about Mornhenweg at DB.Did he play defense after his freshman year?

I just completed a little project on Tedsilary.com featuring my two-decade PCL teams. Not sure if anyone was following along or not, but here is the link...

http://tedsilary.com/huckFBalldecade2000-19.htm
Great work, Huck. Thanks.

I thought your choice of Loughery as the best LaSalle QB was right on. He was a classic case of a really good HS quarterback, especially in big games. The fact that he was hardly recruited for the next level made no difference to how good he was, esp. in '09.

Sad to see NC and CD combined and to realize it's been so long since either school--each with some great teams in the past--was open. Did David Williams play only one year at NC? I know he transferred.

I wondered about the absence of Greene or Freeman from the list of SJP receivers. Did you think of listing Quinn on defense rather than on offense? I understand why you wanted to get Kaiser in there somewhere but Chadha's the better kicker.

Great work, Huck. Thanks.

I thought your choice of Loughery as the best LaSalle QB was right on. He was a classic case of a really good HS quarterback, especially in big games. The fact that he was hardly recruited for the next level made no difference to how good he was, esp. in '09.

Sad to see NC and CD combined and to realize it's been so long since either school--each with some great teams in the past--was open. Did David Williams play only one year at NC? I know he transferred.

I wondered about the absence of Greene or Freeman from the list of SJP receivers. Did you think of listing Quinn on defense rather than on offense? I understand why you wanted to get Kaiser in there somewhere but Chadha's the better kicker.

Tulla,

Thanks.

Yes, Dave Williams was at north his freshman year. He transferred when the school closed.

Loughery was like (23-4) as a starter. I considered Shurmur and from a statistical standpoint he may have been a little better, but DL won a state title. I'm not sure Shurmur ever beat SJP.

I did consider Quinn at LB. And if I went that route then Greene or Freeman probably would have been the next guy.

Kaiser was a better football player than he was kicker, but Ted had Kaiser as his All-Decade (2000-10) player at kicker. He did have 134 PATS and 16 FGs in three years as kicker. I would agree that Chadha is probably better as a kicker, but I just had to Kaiser on there in some form.

Great list. I probably would of had Savage at QB for O'Hara and I'm not too sure about Mornhenweg at DB.Did he play defense after his freshman year?

What's going on Kit????

I strongly considered Savage and D. Darden for that matter. I try to limit it to HS play only. Savage had the most tools for sure, but his team success wasn't as strong as Lomas, who made clutch plays and was the QB that beat a very good SJP team in 2001.

Mornhinweg played DB throughout his career from what I remember. He was at least two-time AC at the position. He took that last spot at DB because I thought he had a pretty good career all-around. Also, he carried some of the less formidable SJP teams over the these two decades. Tough kid, who entered SJP with some lofty expectations and sort of had a bullseye on his back. I thought he handled it well.

Tulla,

Thanks.

Yes, Dave Williams was at north his freshman year. He transferred when the school closed.

Loughery was like (23-4) as a starter. I considered Shurmur and from a statistical standpoint he may have been a little better, but DL won a state title. I'm not sure Shurmur ever beat SJP.

I did consider Quinn at LB. And if I went that route then Greene or Freeman probably would have been the next guy.

Kaiser was a better football player than he was kicker, but Ted had Kaiser as his All-Decade (2000-10) player at kicker. He did have 134 PATS and 16 FGs in three years as kicker. I would agree that Chadha is probably better as a kicker, but I just had to Kaiser on there in some form.
Loughery was 3-1 against SJP; Shurmur was 0-4. Loughery, of course, had more support around him (Feleccia, Abdul-Rahman, etc.) but in that '09 came he made so many 3rd and 4th down plays under pressure it was uncanny.

You're right about Mornhinweg playing DB all four years at SJP. He was good as a DB, but if you were picking your SJP team based just on performance in a particular position there are probably at least half a dozen guys you'd pick over Mornhinweg as DB. But I get what you were trying to do. Great to include Whitney on offense, even though you had to do a bit of inventing to get him in.

One question: who was the O'Hara QB on the team that beat SJP in '04. I know it wasn't the offense that won that game. (It was the refs!)

O’Hara QB in ‘04 I think was Anthony Walters.

Didn’t Whitney play defense? Wasn’t he also pretty good at DB? That’s why i went MP with him. I think i he was MP on one of Ted’s All-City teams.

Reactions: Aragorn
O’Hara QB in ‘04 I think was Anthony Walters.

Didn’t Whitney play defense? Wasn’t he also pretty good at DB? That’s why i went MP with him. I think i he was MP on one of Ted’s All-City teams.
Yes, it was Walters.

And, yes, Whitney played defense--a great competitor.

It was actually John Ward ... Anthony played the 1st half during the last game of the year and a few series in the championship game but John ward was the starter for 98% of the season !!

Great list. which all star team is best. Can’t go wrong with SJP. But Ohara has a lot of nfl guys on that list

RC Lagomarcino for Lansdale Catholic should be on ghe list granted you listend LC from 2008+ but still.... kid was a beast

Reactions: Aragorn
Huck,

Was Victor McNair the lineman that had to be carried to the line of scrimmage by teamates after getting hurt in the loss to Wilmington?

Huck,

Was Victor McNair the lineman that had to be carried to the line of scrimmage by teamates after getting hurt in the loss to Wilmington?
Not Huck but was at a few West Catholic games that year and was shocked they lost that one in ot. That team had so much speed .

I think they were up by 3 touchdowns and just had a meltdown in the second half. The running back for Wilmington had a highlight reel 30 yard TD (I think it was 30) near the end of that game.

Reactions: lilromeo
Kit, nah that wasn't McNair. That was Jake Zuzek, who was a junior that year. Went onto have a great career at Navy. Also, they were never up three TDs. They were up 14-0 at halftime. However, ran out of time with the ball inside the five, so they could've went up by three. The highlight run was by Wilmington's QB in the first OT. West had scored and was up 7. Wilmington was facing a 4th-16 after beginning their possession on the 10-yard line. He scrambled to his left, avoid the rush, then cutback across field to score a TD. It was an amazing play. Wilmington got the ball first in the 2nd OT and scored. West scored with their turn, but went for two. Alas, drake was chopped down at the half-yard line. Git-wrenching loss to say the least. West didn't punt that day and accumulated 450 yards of offense. Got stopped inside the five at the end of regulation with the score 21-21, too.

Kit, nah that wasn't McNair. That was Jake Zuzek, who was a junior that year. Went onto have a great career at Navy. Also, they were never up three TDs. They were up 14-0 at halftime. However, ran out of time with the ball inside the five, so they could've went up by three. The highlight run was by Wilmington's QB in the first OT. West had scored and was up 7. Wilmington was facing a 4th-16 after beginning their possession on the 10-yard line. He scrambled to his left, avoid the rush, then cutback across field to score a TD. It was an amazing play. Wilmington got the ball first in the 2nd OT and scored. West scored with their turn, but went for two. Alas, drake was chopped down at the half-yard line. Git-wrenching loss to say the least. West didn't punt that day and accumulated 450 yards of offense. Got stopped inside the five at the end of regulation with the score 21-21, too.

I remember it either being late in regulation or in OT that two West players had to literally carry Zuzek to the line of scrimmage after every long gain. Your right, West was up 14 and should of scored to end the first half. I'm sure Fluck must of played that game in his head a thousand times afterward. Do you think that team was better than the one that won it a few years later?

From the top to bottom I think 2010 might have been better. More rounded offensively. Their defense was probably a little better. However, for explosive as 2010 might have been, they didn't have the dynamic play-making that Drake, R. Hollomon, and Maples provided.

I remember it either being late in regulation or in OT that two West players had to literally carry Zuzek to the line of scrimmage after every long gain. Your right, West was up 14 and should of scored to end the first half. I'm sure Fluck must of played that game in his head a thousand times afterward. Do you think that team was better than the one that won it a few years later?

Based on Fluck's recent legal battles, I'm sure that game is the last thing on his mind. I will say I've never seen a game where a team was so far superior to their opponent and lost. It has to be the biggest upset in PIAA playoff history.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT