ADVERTISEMENT

New transfer rules approved

Interesting.

How about the kid who’s Dad is transferred (no Mom - divorce - and no siblings and no other family as they’re originally from American Samoa). Dad has blue collar job amd when the company said Dad gonna be working in Trenton, NJ plant that’s that.

Ten game regular season and game 5 just played on Friday night. No house to sell so they wrapped up their apartment on Saturday amd drove from Central Dauphin to Fairless Hills on Saturday (Dad likes PA and easy commute to Trenton). Kid is enrolled at Pennsbury Monday and in his first classes that day.

The boy is a stud D lineman but only started playing ball as a junior so hia skill set was still developing but he was getting serious D1 looks from the big schools (and he needs a ride as Dad’s job is good but they ain’t wealthy and divorce ia draining him as he was married for 11 years in PA and Mom was housewife).

Laying out for season will seriously hurt his chances but with 50% of regular season games played he can’t participate. But when Pennsbury makes playoffs then it’s not 50% anymore (even with only one more game). Course he’s rusty now amd doesn’t know Pennsbury’s system.

I’d take that case for free and be filing for a TRO and Preliminary Injunction the same day he enrolled. Get him suited up and out there immediately. Basis would be irreparable harm to him if not playing and what’s the justification - because they eatablished an arbitrary line in the sand of 50%?

I’m for all the transfers anyone wants - public and private.

PS This is an off-the-cuff very quick note and I have not researched this issue or thought too deeply about all the arguments that might be raised. And I don't practice in PA so I am not well versed in some aspects of the law back there but some basics apply in all the states (like TROs and PIs and "Con Law", etc.).

Last edited:
Mole, you make a great argument with your example. I would feel for that kid in that situation. Maybe that arbitrary line is in the wrong place. But do you really mean all transfers all the time? How about this situation - parents divorced, kid lives with mom and goes to Truman, dad lives in Fairless Hills (Pennsbury). Regular season ends, Truman misses playoffs but Pennsbury gets in. Kid moves in with dad on Saturday after Truman's last game and is suited up at Pennsbury playoff practice Monday afternoon. You OK with that? If not, you would have to draw an arbitrary line somewhere, no?

Hood -

I like freedom of choice.

How about this - if you transfer during the regular season it's a two game wait. So in my scenario the kid misses games 6 and 7 but he's out there for game 8 and on out (but he can practice immediately).

Post season it's a 3 game wait. Why? Because I think the playoff teams should dance with who brung 'em. So if you got kids playing their hearts out for ten games in the season "at issue", and then maybe years and years before that, they get to protect their positions PLUS the team doesn't find itself with an extra hand ramping them up over the "team play" (how good are they) that got them there BUT after three games (when the competition gets tougher and maybe injuries are a factor) the kid can play.

That would be my rule.

Mole, I can definitely get behind your regular season rule. Doesn't punish the kid in your scenario nearly as much. But for the post-season, I would require at least eligibility (after sitting out the 2 games) in 1 regular season game. So at a minimum in football, kid would be sitting out 8 and 9, and eligible for 10. I wouldn't allow a kid's first eligible game to be a playoff game.

Mole:

What's the irreparable harm ? He had 5 games his junior year at CD to get on film and establish himself. And he has an entire senior year as well. And the 21 day rule is less stringent than the 30 day rule in Jersey ( possibly an extra 2 games ) and that rule has held up well in court.

Speed -

You can argue there might not be such harm (especially if he gets a ride to USC even if he sits the season out and if so then the "irreparable harm" position would not have any teeth).

But the "irreparable harm" could be proved if he drops off the radar and D1 is no longer an option - and maybe he's left off the D2 schools too. Of course it is subjective in one sense but objective in another (hey - you got three years to make your mark at the schoolboy level and that's pretty much the ball game so if you miss that shot it's over -- and I understand you can still go try JUCO and some other stuff but that's for the defense to argue).

Just thinking out loud and no doubt somebody will argue the other side of the fence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT