ADVERTISEMENT

McDevitt and Wood combined 2021

wilson8500

Apr 5, 2020
I see that McDevitt players are now listed on Wood's roster on HUDL. So I guess McDevitt is definately closing. Besides Bridgeman, who should make an inpact at Wood? How good will Wood be this year? Can they challenge Prep and LaSalle?
Any thoughts???

Wilson, I was able to catch them a few times last year. From what I recall, they graduate almost every starter. That’s good news for them if they are picking up a lot of the McDevitt players.

I know LaSalle returns Brown and Carter but I am not sure what they have outside of them. Ditto for SJP. I’m sure others on the board can shed some light on returners. I will say both teams beat AW handily last year. From what I saw, AW will either need to be much more talented than LaSalle/SJP or they will need a major upgrade in the coaching department.

Reactions: lilromeo
I see that McDevitt players are now listed on Wood's roster on HUDL. So I guess McDevitt is definately closing. Besides Bridgeman, who should make an inpact at Wood? How good will Wood be this year? Can they challenge Prep and LaSalle?
Any thoughts???
I saw McD twice last year and they had quite a few talented underclassman. If all these players attend Wood as mentioned here is what I recall from watching McD. At least 4 players with D-1 offers,2 LBs, I DE, and a receiver/DB. Others that WIll be impact players include 2 Olineman,1 other DB and 2 RBs,one of which was a freshman and 215 lbs. I Wood returns any semblance of a decent team and IF and a big IF there coaching is solid they should have a very good team. Several of these players were sophs last year .

Yes that looks like good analysis to me Romeo. The coaching aspect is the true question mark. It was the staffs first year, but it wasn’t great. They will need a major improvement in that area.

Yes that looks like good analysis to me Romeo. The coaching aspect is the true question mark. It was the staffs first year, but it wasn’t great. They will need a major improvement in that area.
Wood can solidify these players and future players from what was to be MCD players if they are smart and hire Mike Watkins and several of his staff from McD.

Reactions: newman107
odd decision according to some of the people I have talked to. taking the transfers means that Wood will stay in 6A for 2022 and 2023 and have to compete with Prep and LaSalle. Wood doesn't have the resources or the coaching to keep up with those two. Everyone I talked to said they should have done their best to drop down to 3A-4A after this next season. How will losing in first round of PCL playoffs effect their ability to get kids in? They were beginning to struggle to get 8th graders in when they were winning state championships.

odd decision according to some of the people I have talked to. taking the transfers means that Wood will stay in 6A for 2022 and 2023 and have to compete with Prep and LaSalle. Wood doesn't have the resources or the coaching to keep up with those two. Everyone I talked to said they should have done their best to drop down to 3A-4A after this next season. How will losing in first round of PCL playoffs effect their ability to get kids in? They were beginning to struggle to get 8th graders in when they were winning state championships.
I would think that players from MCD that transfer may be able to be granted exceptions since McD is closing. These kids have to transfer somewhere . As a side note ,Woods returning roster looks very vey weak. They will need all the help they can muster. I totally agree that they should be playing in 4 or 5 A and not where they are presently.

I wouldn't expect the PIAA to do Wood any favors. I would imagine if the players went to their respective public schools they would not count as transfers. But catholic to catholic they will. I am not basing this on any kind of logic or inside information. Only on the past history of decreasing the number of transfers from 5 to 3 mid season, and then changing another rule to move Wood up to 6A in an emergency meeting vote either the day of or the day before the PIAA championship game.

I agree their roster is thin this upcoming season, but what I had heard was that a couple of their freshman classes had been pretty good. Had they been able to build on success of 2019 season and gotten another strong freshman class they would have been in a good spot to build for future as long as they were willing to take their lumps for 2021.

Wood can solidify these players and future players from what was to be MCD players if they are smart and hire Mike Watkins and several of his staff from McD.
I heard that McD head coach Coach Mike Watkins will be joining Woods staff in some capacity. Great for both !!!!!

Watkins looks to be a great addition. It seems he was building something formidable at Mcdevitt. Good luck to Coach and staff moving forward.

Head coach possibly?
Watkins is certainly a very solid candidate for head coach ,but I have not been able to confirm if thats what his position will be. Matt Walp Woods current HC has been with their program for awhile. I witnessed Watkins building his program "Brick BY Brick" at McD and he and his staff have attracted and developed some very talented athletes in the last few years. I would expect him to do the same again given the chance.

Reactions: wilson8500
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT