ADVERTISEMENT

Mars 2023

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Over the 4th and this weekend got some info on Mars. Sounds to me like things are going pretty well over there. There DL/OL should be much bigger and stronger than last year. The weight training had a full year to take affect and some younger kids are stepping up. They have done really good in all their 7v7's. Last year, the DB's getting beat deep was a big problem that I guess has been addressed. The strange thing has been that Coach K's son has not been the QB in any 7v7. Folks are pretty tight-lipped but it seems like some sort of arm injury. I'll try and get more names and details as the summer goes on, but for those that are Coach K fans, it looks like he and his staff continue to turn things around at Mars.

Over the 4th and this weekend got some info on Mars. Sounds to me like things are going pretty well over there. There DL/OL should be much bigger and stronger than last year. The weight training had a full year to take affect and some younger kids are stepping up. They have done really good in all their 7v7's. Last year, the DB's getting beat deep was a big problem that I guess has been addressed. The strange thing has been that Coach K's son has not been the QB in any 7v7. Folks are pretty tight-lipped but it seems like some sort of arm injury. I'll try and get more names and details as the summer goes on, but for those that are Coach K fans, it looks like he and his staff continue to turn things around at Mars.
Thanks for the update New. He'll make it happen at Mars like at PR and won't it be exciting seeing him back on the HS FB scene!

Reactions: new2pa
Kasper's legacy is on the line

he was creating an "all time" status as a coach at PR, but they won without him

people forget they won before him too with Clair Altemus, they took some time to adjust to the highest class but who knows what Clair could've done if he had the talent Kasper was given

maybe he's not the genius he was said to be, and PR is just a blue blood program, time will tell

Kasper's legacy is on the line

he was creating an "all time" status as a coach at PR, but they won without him

people forget they won before him too with Clair Altemus, they took some time to adjust to the highest class but who knows what Clair could've done if he had the talent Kasper was given

maybe he's not the genius he was said to be, and PR is just a blue blood program, time will tell
BP....I didn't know he was considered a genius. He hasn't done enough to be anywhere near that status. Here's genius in my view:
Bob Wolfrum, Wyomissing, 337-86-9
Pete Antimarino, Gateway, 236-80-12
George Curry, Lake Lehman, Valley West, Berwick 455-99-5
Mike WIlliams, Man Central, 348-75-3
Jim Render, Upper St. Clair, 406-141-6....your favorite!
Jim Roth, Southern Columbia, 469-64-2

Now that's genius or greatness; sustained success OVER TIME. Not a few years at Pine. I wish he had stayed there as he was certainly building greatness!

BP: That take isn’t a bad one. I can say with confidence though that the P-R football community thought last year’s win wasn’t all LeDonnes. But going forward, no kids are left were ever in the Coach K system. So if it continues, then maybe P-R is a Blue Blood.

I don’t actually think Coach K will be around long enough to reach genius level in terms of wins and losses. Going to the college ranks.

HSFB: Yes, I suspect that happens. It was never any real secret that that was his eventual goal, at least as of 5-6 years ago.

Kasper is/was a great coach. Kinda silly to split hairs, on "how good."

Funny part of the whole "Pine-richland saga" of his firing that gets forgotten. Feb of 2021, Kasper was interviewing for a LB coach at Pitt, did not get it. IMO, that added to his being pushed out- the PR admin did not like his move- then Apr 2021, they fired him.

Kasper will go coach college after fall of 2025, his boy's last yr of HS- anywhere, anyhow, not necessarily Pitt. Most likely he pans to climb the ladder of college- assistant, then D-coordinator, maybe HC, then big money.

Too early to tell, who knows, maybe 30 years from now, we look back and say, he was a good HS coach, and "genius college coach."

Reactions: new2pa and Stalker
The question must be asked. What are the expectations for mars this year? It can’t be wpial champions. They’re simply not at the level of Aliquippa or Central Valley yet. Even Bill belicheck would need ~4 years to build this team

If I’m coach Kasperowicz, I am Irate. He would have won the state championship (at pr) with his sophomore son. That would have been the memory to top all memories. Now he’s stuck on “mid mars”

The question must be asked. What are the expectations for mars this year? It can’t be wpial champions. They’re simply not at the level of Aliquippa or Central Valley yet. Even Bill belicheck would need ~4 years to build this team

If I’m coach Kasperowicz, I am Irate. He would have won the state championship (at pr) with his sophomore son. That would have been the memory to top all memories. Now he’s stuck on “mid mars”
tiger- your "take" on Kasper being "irate" is most likely why the Pr leaders fired him when they did- to "ruin" his plan of coaching his son- and in fact, this was likely part of the whole thing falling apart- they threatened him w his job, and he probably freaked out on them, thinking he might not be able to coach his son- his "angry response" adding to reasons for them to fire him- it was a fight-for power between a HS coach, and school leaders- and the school leaders "won."

Now, expectations for '23 Mars? Might not be accurate- but in 2014-not sure anyone thought PR would be so good to challenge for state title? Well, they did- Kasper and staff are very good at coaching and "program building."

This year- yes Mars, maybe- CV lost talent- Quippa lost size- Mars might challenge for WPIAL top 4. Reg season is not too diff- but if they can go 10-0, gain confidence, maybe win WPIAL.... not state, but maybe WPIAL/D7. If i had to make a prediction- id guess, 9-1, and lose to Quippa in either semi or final, depending on bracket

2020: You take above on coaching his son and getting pissed about being threatened seems about right to me as well.

Also, I think top 4 in WPIAL is not unrealistic. Winning would take more and would need some breakout players.

The only thing I know is the list of coaches "better" then Eric is very small when it comes to PA.

99% of HS coaches in PA would agree with that too..

The only thing I know is the list of coaches "better" then Eric is very small when it comes to PA.

99% of HS coaches in PA would agree with that too..
steel- you seem to have knowledge of EK- I agree w your comments.. but

I heard a few years ago- that the "6A coaches don't like him." Is there any truth to that? I did not think so... but. Could that have had anything to do we him being pushed out? Like North Allegheny or PCC coaches causing him problems? I had never heard that- only from one dude- but that guy was a coach- 5A assistant coach. Any knowledge of that?

If coaching his son was that important, why was he interviewing at Pitt? I know it's a rhetorical question because no one here can get inside his head.

steel- you seem to have knowledge of EK- I agree w your comments.. but

I heard a few years ago- that the "6A coaches don't like him." Is there any truth to that? I did not think so... but. Could that have had anything to do we him being pushed out? Like North Allegheny or PCC coaches causing him problems? I had never heard that- only from one dude- but that guy was a coach- 5A assistant coach. Any knowledge of that?
I've personally never heard that.

However, I think what might turn off some people is EK is usually the smartest guy in the room and he knows it. He's very confident because he's talented but his preparation is elite.

Guys like EK assemble great staffs because guys want to coach with him. You don't attract talented coaches if they don't believe in you or your vision.

If coaching his son was that important, why was he interviewing at Pitt? I know it's a rhetorical question because no one here can get inside his head.
That's a good question. I was right after they won their second state championship and before his son was in high school, so maybe he felt that was a natural break if he was going to do it.

That's a good question. I was right after they won their second state championship and before his son was in high school, so maybe he felt that was a natural break if he was going to do it.
Honestly, I think EK really wanted to keep coaching at PR, and coach his son- but ALSO, was being offered/recruited at varying levels of college to coach, so, maybe just keeping his options open. Also, the leadership at PR made life difficult- not an easy place to coach, nit-picking him for years- AND, possible he knew he might be forced out, either pushed to resign, or fired, so that's why he was considering moving to college.

The more interesting thing- is what is gonna happen to LeDonne. Very possible the same thing will happen to him!! His boy is like 11-12. Also, LeDonne, although doing good so far- I just do not think he's gonna last 5 more years.

Heard over the weekend LeDonne's getting investigated or something for racial harassment by the andrews kid who moved to North Catholic.

Heard over the weekend LeDonne's getting investigated or something for racial harassment by the andrews kid who moved to North Catholic.
oh jeez, well even weirder cuz Andrews' twitter says Woodland Hills!! Well actually says "Woodland Hill"

prob not good to speculate, but jeez

• Haha
Gonzalez being at PCC really ruins it for mars this year. With ek son back and bevy of other kids as well and also looking a lot better in the trenches now, he could really be that “X factor” that would propel them to compete with the likes of quip CV TJ ETC. They don’t play a tough conference so it shouldn’t be hard to win most of their games in the regular season. Just not enough talent to compete with the big boys yet though.

Personally I thought the same thing and heard that as well that EK would move on from HS after his son graduated. Don’t think he choose mars to turn into another dynasty, more likely the best option to move his son out of pr at and take a position there. He doesn’t even need to win another title at this point, he’s already proven he’s one of the best.

Gonzalez being at PCC really ruins it for mars this year. With ek son back and bevy of other kids as well and also looking a lot better in the trenches now, he could really be that “X factor” that would propel them to compete with the likes of quip CV TJ ETC. They don’t play a tough conference so it shouldn’t be hard to win most of their games in the regular season. Just not enough talent to compete with the big boys yet though.

Personally I thought the same thing and heard that as well that EK would move on from HS after his son graduated. Don’t think he choose mars to turn into another dynasty, more likely the best option to move his son out of pr at and take a position there. He doesn’t even need to win another title at this point, he’s already proven he’s one of the best.
jacky- agreed... will be interesting to see where EK is 10 years from now.

Really sad, but nearly impossible these days, very rare, to make a career as a "great HS" coach in PA. No real big money, and even with success, unlikely to really get support. Great coaches either quit, or get forced out.

If, and a big IF he moves on, and becomes a "great" coach in college, EK could work his way up, as a d-coordinator- and make good money.

A little more info on Mars I got over the last week or so. OL and DL stuff. Took some notes. Mars will be significantly bigger and better along OL. Defensively, they return a ton or players and the new guys are better than who they lost. Starting on D:

DE: Hartle SR 6'3" 190 Rangy
DT: Dowds SR 6' 280 Space eater
DT: Ruffner SR 5'10 240 solid
DE: Winters SR 5'10 240 Strong and athletic
LB: Maple SR 6' 190 Returner - good instincts, best defensive player
LB: Kresinski SO 6'1 220 Young but possible D1 kid
LB: Becker JR 6' 190 Plugger
LB: Garvin FR 6'1 195 Freshman, but athletic

Offense

OT: Franklin: 6'5" 290 Soph: Huge, good feet but developing
OG: Budszilik: 6' 240 Soph: Best returning OL
OC: Painly: 5'10 200 Junior
OG: Blanco: 5'10 250 Junior
OT: Ruffner: See above

ALso in the mix are winters and one other kid I forgot.

Reactions: Stalker
BP....I didn't know he was considered a genius. He hasn't done enough to be anywhere near that status. Here's genius in my view:
Bob Wolfrum, Wyomissing, 337-86-9
Pete Antimarino, Gateway, 236-80-12
George Curry, Lake Lehman, Valley West, Berwick 455-99-5
Mike WIlliams, Man Central, 348-75-3
Jim Render, Upper St. Clair, 406-141-6....your favorite!
Jim Roth, Southern Columbia, 469-64-2

Now that's genius or greatness; sustained success OVER TIME. Not a few years at Pine. I wish he had stayed there as he was certainly building greatness!
he had 2 state titles, as many as Render within less than a decade, and 4 wpial titles too, one less than Render

so all Render really had on him was longevity

I actually spoke to Jim a few months ago he's a nice guy to talk to I don't have anything against him personally, but a few of his players didn't have good things to say about him, some loved him and some hated him but that's probably the story for everybody

he had 2 state titles, as many as Render within less than a decade, and 4 wpial titles too, one less than Render

so all Render really had on him was longevity

I actually spoke to Jim a few months ago he's a nice guy to talk to I don't have anything against him personally, but a few of his players didn't have good things to say about him, some loved him and some hated him but that's probably the story for everybody
Saying "so all Render really had on him was longevity" is like saying 'Yeah, the Romans were pretty good, but just for a couple thousand year.'

Saying "so all Render really had on him was longevity" is like saying 'Yeah, the Romans were pretty good, but just for a couple thousand year.'
all people care about is championships, coaching for 100 years and compiling wins isn't impressive to most people

i promise you if Kasper coaches until he's into his 70's, he will have a win total that meets your satisfaction

all people care about is championships, coaching for 100 years and compiling wins isn't impressive to most people

i promise you if Kasper coaches until he's into his 70's, he will have a win total that meets your satisfaction

Chris Ault
Bill Snyder
John Ralston
Barry Alvarez
Frank Beamer
Earl Bruce
John Cooper
Fisher DeBerry
Hayden Fry
Frank Kush
Dick Macpherson
Don Nehlen
Gary Pinkel
Mark Richt
Bo Schembechler
RC Slocum
Grant Teaff
Bill Yeoman

all say "Hold my beer" as none of them have ever won a national championship, yet they've received the highest honor any football coach by being put in the College HOF...

Most people believe at a minimum that Render is one of the greatest coaches to ever do it. The majority of his career was during the heyday of WPIAL football - 70's/80's/90's...

Reactions: Stalker
Chris Ault
Bill Snyder
John Ralston
Barry Alvarez
Frank Beamer
Earl Bruce
John Cooper
Fisher DeBerry
Hayden Fry
Frank Kush
Dick Macpherson
Don Nehlen
Gary Pinkel
Mark Richt
Bo Schembechler
RC Slocum
Grant Teaff
Bill Yeoman

all say "Hold my beer" as none of them have ever won a national championship, yet they've received the highest honor any football coach by being put in the College HOF...

Most people believe at a minimum that Render is one of the greatest coaches to ever do it. The majority of his career was during the heyday of WPIAL football - 70's/80's/90's...
Well put steelcurtain55. Seems almost absurd arguing well-established truths.

Stalk, with that being said, I'd propose that we no longer argue the boundary/non-boundary issue as well. While it does make interesting reading, its a bit redundant!!!!!
Agreed. I don't know why some guys keep beating a dead horse. We know what it is. And that's what it is because the PIAA says so, period.
In D3 we don't piss and moan about it. But we do (at least did) try to kick the crap out of McDevitt, Delone, York Catholic, Trinity and so forth. Take it to the field or your congressman.

Chris Ault
Bill Snyder
John Ralston
Barry Alvarez
Frank Beamer
Earl Bruce
John Cooper
Fisher DeBerry
Hayden Fry
Frank Kush
Dick Macpherson
Don Nehlen
Gary Pinkel
Mark Richt
Bo Schembechler
RC Slocum
Grant Teaff
Bill Yeoman

i'm sorry but a lot of those guys are often referred to as the following

"loser"
"choker"
"couldn't win the big one"

if you want to argue that is unfair or wrong i agree with you, but i am telling you how people largely only care about championships

Render's resume does put him among the top, all i ever said was i have met former players that didn't like him and Kasper's resume is pretty close already

what do you mean "heydey" of the wpial?

Stalk, with that being said, I'd propose that we no longer argue the boundary/non-boundary issue as well. While it does make interesting reading, its a bit redundant!!!!!
you would be arguing it the most if Swift was a year younger and if PR didn't move down to 5A

Agreed. I don't know why some guys keep beating a dead horse. We know what it is. And that's what it is because the PIAA says so, period.
In D3 we don't piss and moan about it. But we do (at least did) try to kick the crap out of McDevitt, Delone, York Catholic, Trinity and so forth. Take it to the field or your congressman.
the squeaky wheel gets the grease

you aren't more "manly" because you willingly take beatings from teams with an unfair advantage

you would be arguing it the most if Swift was a year younger and if PR didn't move down to 5A

Revisionist History...

What I don't get is that it seems like SPJ is allowed to have epically good teams. Why can't other schools. (Yes, I understand that they have them more often - but - each of their teams isn't unbeatable though.) In my memory three team have beat them in the PA playoffs. Lebo, ?Lasalle? in 2015, at P-R.

P-R is 1-2 against SJP. Lost in 2014 and had many chance win against a team with at least 3 future NFL players. Beat them in 2017 and got trounced in 2018 when IMO, the BEST group of players SJP has had were sophomores. (IMO, if the 2014 team had more "experience" they would have also won. Dropped a TD in Q4 and couldn't tackle a soul the entire game.)

Also, the 5A thing is getting old. You're wording "drop down" is just used to rile people up. Whatever. I look at it as even more validation for what the 2017 team did. They were already a small 6A and beat SJP who was on something like a 27 game win streak.

Its ok though. It was nice to be in the conversation for 7-8 years no matter what happens. And no matter what people say, having SJP and P-R mentioned in somewhat the same breath, is cool.

PS: Biggest similarity between SJP and P-R. Good coaching.

the squeaky wheel gets the grease

you aren't more "manly" because you willingly take beatings from teams with an unfair advantage
Not quite BP. Sometimes we just replace the wheel rather than waste more grease on it. And you aren't manly playing anyone. Where'd that come from? It's just high school football. Most of the teams we played had unfair advantage if you define that as being larger school or better coached.
So what. You played the next team up. No different than getting up the next day and going to work after a bad day. Nothing sexy or complicated. Just life.

Reactions: lilromeo
i'm sorry but a lot of those guys are often referred to as the following

"loser"
"choker"
"couldn't win the big one"

if you want to argue that is unfair or wrong i agree with you, but i am telling you how people largely only care about championships

Render's resume does put him among the top, all i ever said was i have met former players that didn't like him and Kasper's resume is pretty close already

what do you mean "heydey" of the wpial?
Can you find me some quotes where these coaches are referred as "losers?"

The only people "only" care about championships are the ignorant.

Render's resume speaks for itself. what I mean by heyday is if you look at back at the caliber of athletes and teams the west was producing in the 70's/80's/90's compared to today, it's not even close. The majority of Render's career was during this time.

Can you find me some quotes where these coaches are referred as "losers?"

The only people "only" care about championships are the ignorant.

Render's resume speaks for itself. what I mean by heyday is if you look at back at the caliber of athletes and teams the west was producing in the 70's/80's/90's compared to today, it's not even close. The majority of Render's career was during this time.
i just gotta chime in- Render is one of the greatest HS coaches in western Pa history. Any coach who is "doing a good job:" is not liked by everybody.

And- for a local hs football fan to "not understand" what is the "heydey" of western Pa football?? yipes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT