ADVERTISEMENT

Let the belly aching begin!

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
Stick to reporting games not your biased opinion! You (not all) reporters know who you are and opinions are just like.. everyone has one!

What belly aching are you talking about? About how one's league was hosed or the normal "Catholic schools have an unfair advantage" belly aching? :rolleyes::p

What belly aching are you talking about? About how one's league was hosed or the normal "Catholic schools have an unfair advantage" belly aching? :rolleyes::p
So... one writer here from our award winning/Pulitzer Prize newspaper has already started conplaining St Joes Prep. PIAA needs address as a whole including how public teams such as North Penn gets a new QB or how CB West got move in’s and Strath Haven got Chester kids during heyday. As you clearly started you singled out Catholic schools and I’m saying we are unfairly having football players move into public.

What you are saying is that parents should not move into a school district because of football. In your opinion parents should not move to another school district because of other sports, the band, or a better education. There is also a difference between Public and Private schools and as I sat in the stands (prep side) this weekend at the Prep, Parkland game it was very evident.

Chesmont.. post the link to the article so we can make our own assessment. Thx.

Shoe- what was evident sitting in the stands?

What was evident was the Brand, which makes businesses and teams different.

One. A coed school sponsored and representing the population of the townships which the school draws from, with cheerleaders and a band of 125+ and students in the stands.
The other, no cheerleaders, no band, only adults in the stands. Sponsored by aid for some and skinny kids on the sidelines who parents pay full tuition so they can get a championship jacket. This wasn't true of Lasalle. They played here a couple of years ago against Nazereth and had a pep band and a nice student section and following. It was evident the LaSalle brand is different from the Prep. I would be interested how Lasalle people feel about Prep.

One, A team sponsored by a community. The other a AAU team sponsored by a school. Like any customer pick your brand and don't complain.
lets discuss Prep vs Coatesville and forget about Public vs. Private.

Shoe, The Prep pep band goes to lots of games, but Saturday evening was homecoming at the Prep. There may have been other reasons the band and not many students were there, though the Prep crowd still looked bigger than in '14. The Prep has drawn pretty well when the games are in SE PA, especially for the Wood and the first LaSalle games. Given the weather the crowd wasn't bad for the second LaSalle game either. And remember: relatively few Prep kids live anywhere near Widener and not many more live near Northeast.

And let's look at the last few years. The Prep drew good crowds when they played Nashaminy in '13, when they played North Penn last year and of course always when they've played LaSalle.

Going to the Lehigh Valley is a different matter. Prep families (much more so than LaSalle families) are scattered across the Delaware Valley, so that makes a bus impractical--unless you think a kid from Jersey or Delaware County is going to get to the Prep on Saturday morning, get a bus to the game, take the bus back to the Prep to arrive at 5:00 or so, and then travel home. There will be many more Prep students at Friday's game and, if they win, there will be lots who travel to Hershey--as they have the first three times they were there. And, by the way, what happened to the Parkland band after halftime? Aside from the band members--who, of course, are required to be at the games--I don't think there were more Parkland fans who came to Philly last year than there were Prep fans who travelled to Bethlehem this year.

How many Prep games have you been to?

One. A coed school sponsored and representing the population of the townships which the school draws from, with cheerleaders and a band of 125+ and students in the stands.
The other, no cheerleaders, no band, only adults in the stands. Sponsored by aid for some and skinny kids on the sidelines who parents pay full tuition so they can get a championship jacket. This wasn't true of Lasalle. They played here a couple of years ago against Nazereth and had a pep band and a nice student section and following. It was evident the LaSalle brand is different from the Prep. I would be interested how Lasalle people feel about Prep.

One, A team sponsored by a community. The other a AAU team sponsored by a school. Like any customer pick your brand and don't complain.

You're pathetic ... you have no clue ... you go to one game and make a general assessment. It was homecoming weekend with a massive dance at the school. What do you know about the school, let alone the program to make that statement? The reality is they have the best coach and staff in the state. The school took a big chance on hiring him and that same risk was reciprocated in his effort to expand on heads up training. Simply put, they out work other teams. The amount of speed, agility and endurance training, not to mention a modern core strengthening program that has made a huge difference, oh, and summer training at 5 am. The school has been around since 1851. 30% of population is legacy meaning grandfather, father, brother, cousin went there. By the way, 22 players on team are legacy with quite a number starting. 20% is from New Jersey due to proximity, it's been that way for 60 years. I'll bet you Parkland kids bus from further than the Jersey kids. Frankly, football is most visible program but not the best. Rugby, crew and especially theater far eclipse football. Aid is based on need, that's a simple fact. Let's not forget it's in the inner city - urban core. There's greater choices if you're looking for facilities. And speaking of facilities, how about some of them pubs! And last I looked, every kid playing on the pubs is on full scholarship. Prep doesn't have one kid on the team on full scholarship. Maybe, just maybe, the expectations are higher.

Tulla, I have seen the Prep play 3 times. Evidently you do not see many public school teams play or you would understand about the band. Usually the visitors band plays at half time, but Parkland had to play before and at halftime. It is also a tradition after halftime that band members from both schools meet at the snack bars and if you notice parkland band members were at both snack bars. Again it's a choice, one school was represented by 50 students and the other by over 200 students, pick your brand. I will not make it to Downingtown this week so post a picture of the prep marching band that i have never seen at a game.

You're pathetic ... you have no clue ... you go to one game and make a general assessment. It was homecoming weekend with a massive dance at the school. What do you know about the school, let alone the program to make that statement? The reality is they have the best coach and staff in the state. The school took a big chance on hiring him and that same risk was reciprocated in his effort to expand on heads up training. Simply put, they out work other teams. The amount of speed, agility and endurance training, not to mention a modern core strengthening program that has made a huge difference, oh, and summer training at 5 am. The school has been around since 1851. 30% of population is legacy meaning grandfather, father, brother, cousin went there. By the way, 22 players on team are legacy with quite a number starting. 20% is from New Jersey due to proximity, it's been that way for 60 years. I'll bet you Parkland kids bus from further than the Jersey kids. Frankly, football is most visible program but not the best. Rugby, crew and especially theater far eclipse football. Aid is based on need, that's a simple fact. Let's not forget it's in the inner city - urban core. There's greater choices if you're looking for facilities. And speaking of facilities, how about some of them pubs! And last I looked, every kid playing on the pubs is on full scholarship. Prep doesn't have one kid on the team on full scholarship. Maybe, just maybe, the expectations are higher.

What you are saying is that parents should not move into a school district because of football. In your opinion parents should not move to another school district because of other sports, the band, or a better education. There is also a difference between Public and Private schools and as I sat in the stands (prep side) this weekend at the Prep, Parkland game it was very evident.
Why single out Catholic over public. Kids move the both PUBLIC, Private and Catholic for a better education, football or maybe band. It’s not a Catholic or Private problem... it happens in public but for some that’s not an issue.

Tulla, I have seen the Prep play 3 times. Evidently you do not see many public school teams play or you would understand about the band. Usually the visitors band plays at half time, but Parkland had to play before and at halftime. It is also a tradition after halftime that band members from both schools meet at the snack bars and if you notice parkland band members were at both snack bars. Again it's a choice, one school was represented by 50 students and the other by over 200 students, pick your brand. I will not make it to Downingtown this week so post a picture of the prep marching band that i have never seen at a game.
Ha ... slippery slope (look it up), now it's about the band and snack stand. Please make sure you're up on your CE credits, you sound tardy.

Agreed Roxy. Pathetic or anti sure sums it up.

Look up Nate Heckenberger. He’s the typical Unionville redneck that all Catholic schools recruit. Stick to wrestling and just reporting football stats.

Referring to this SJ Prep team as some sort of AAU all-star team is a bit out of touch. They’re not loaded with elite talent. The player with the highest offer hasn’t played all year. Of course they have talent, but I’d argue that their strength lies more in coaching, preparation, and being coachable than relying on immense talent.

The Prep hasn't had a marching band in 50 years. Forget the talk of brand, but, yes, it's a different kind of school.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy

Parkland is not far from the stadium yet they didn't even fill their side of the stadium. I thought Parkland would have had a crowd twice that size ,

Referring to this SJ Prep team as some sort of AAU all-star team is a bit out of touch. They’re not loaded with elite talent. The player with the highest offer hasn’t played all year. Of course they have talent, but I’d argue that their strength lies more in coaching, preparation, and being coachable than relying on immense talent.
Here you have it! Huck has no dog is this fight, not a SJP guy. Like Huck said Virginia Tech is highest recruited kid and he's played zero snaps. SJP is a program like Southern Columbia, the expectations are very high with the program. I have heard all-star team, now AAU. The fact is SJP is always prepared, with kids who trust, love, and play for one another. Yes they are talented!

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
I agree, Burrs. Prep has had much more talented players in the past 5 years or so. IMO, this year's squad is the best team. There is no Reid, Zacchaeus or Swift to lean on this year. Multiple players are stepping up to get the job done as a whole. Once again, IMO, the coaching staff is having their best year. From all accounts, both Coatesville and, if it happens, P-R are juggernauts. It promises to be a fun ride either way.

Still would like to read the article. Maybe just point us all in the right direction. What paper, what day, what journalist. Thanks.

I agree, Burrs. Prep has had much more talented players in the past 5 years or so. IMO, this year's squad is the best team. There is no Reid, Zacchaeus or Swift to lean on this year. Multiple players are stepping up to get the job done as a whole. Once again, IMO, the coaching staff is having their best year. From all accounts, both Coatesville and, if it happens, P-R are juggernauts. It promises to be a fun ride either way.

Agree. You could argue that they implore a skill position by committee. Look at their stats. Nothing overly gaudy about any of it. Now, some circumstances led by an excellent defense and special teams play have limited opportunities and having to drive the field to compile bigger numbers, but being blessed with an elite skill guy really doesn't exists. You're right. There is nothing close to a Swift on this team, but that's to be expected because he's a once-in-a-decade (Maybe more) type talent. There is no John Reid, Zaccheaus. Heck, there isn't even a Terrance Green on this team, who was probably one of the more underrated players on their club last season. McCray is a really good HS quarterback and he's seasoned and mature. Good place to start, especially when inexperienced existed everywhere else on offense entering this season.

Look at the defense. Yea, Bryce is a big kid at 6'4", 280-lbs. However, other than what other player stands out from a physical standpoint? O'Connor is terrific and he can really run, has a nose for the ball, and instincts that can't be taught. Wallace is unassuming but seriously productive. He has a tremendous, strong base, that allows him to stay low and balanced at the point of attack. Feehery is 6'0", 205 lbs (maybe?), but has a motor and drive that few in this area can match. Cobaugh has average HS LB features, but always seems to be around the ball The secondary is just a cohesive unit. All of these kids know how to play, but I can't stress enough that as a group their #1 quality is that they allow themselves to be coached. They believe in what they're being taught and they take pride in doing their job. They're all good kids, with excellent heads on their shoulders, and this is probably half the battle for coaches in this day and age. The SJP staff is fortunate in this regard, but make no mistake this group of coaches isn't rolling out the balls and saying go get them guys because of unbelievable high-end talent.

I've been on their sidelines for roughly 5 or 6 games. Seen all of them on film. Not once have I witnessed a look of dismay of confusion. Do they win every play? Of course not, but they win a lot of them, and it stems from their preparation and intellect more so than out-worldly talent.

Going back to the Brooks' days covering Prep teams has always been a really good experience for me. There is just something about a SJP football player that allows you to leave with a good feeling. And I believe it all starts with and is led by outstanding individual character. Good job to the SJP coaching staff, faculty, and most importantly the parents of these players.

Reactions: lilromeo
I am not a Prep supporter. So let's not get carried away with downplaying the talent here. In order to get on the field at the prep you have to be a really really good player. They don't have offers yet because if you look at some of the talent on the field it's young. As a matter of fact it's really young. Now that being said, what the prep has going on now is astounding. I agree with the comparison to Southern Columbia, at least from a cultural standpoint. The culture is all for one and one for all, complete dedication to the team, and also to working on your game. They may not beat PR this year, but even if they lose I would still say they are bordering dynasty like qualities. I don't know who beats them next year. There comes a time when you just have to take your hat off to the coaching staff. It's more than recruiting or aggregating talent. And I would prefer not to start another thread where the lasalle people say what they feel about the prep people.

Of course, they have talent. It's just not All-Star, AAU like with a boatload of high D-1 kids. I still maintain their best quality as a group if they're coachable and the ability they have to play intelligently and with supreme fundamentals.

The defense is mostly seniors. Offensively, they have underclassmen on the OL and at skill positions outside of McCray and Sanders. I'd say the kid Rightly has the highest D-1 potential of the skill kids right now and he's involved but not all that extensively. Their RBs are solid. They may end up as really good HS RB's, but neither looks to be a high D-1 player to me at this point.

Good god, beating a dead horse. All this prep talk is nauseating. There good, well coached. Congrats, now lets move on.

Good god, beating a dead horse. All this prep talk is nauseating. There good, well coached. Congrats, now lets move on.

Cover- One more. I like busting your b*lls. I have buddies that coach on Pgh CC and also SJP. SJP out coached Pgh CC both times @ States. Talent was very close or even tipped towards Pgh CC. Infante and Staff are very, very good. I will addthat this team has as much talent as anyone in the state hands down.. Do not forget the size of the OL.... huge factor.

Soup, for Christ's sake, i said they were well coached, hell they practice stripping the ball but really this is hs football, high level but come on man.

Soup, for Christ's sake, i said they were well coached, hell they practice stripping the ball but really this is hs football, high level but come on man.

Cover - You are in the NP community. Beck almost had his finest moment against SJP last year but his stud QB had 4 turnovers... almost, almost. Almost gets you zip.... SJP D can def stop Pine Richland.

Cover

Relax, Prep guys were not on here all pre-season and season simply listing their roster and calling them play makers and hyping up their team. They contributed when appropriate. Now that the games actually mean something, there is a pretty good discussion of one of a few teams left.

Soup
100% correct, adding the size of the totally reloaded OL to Huck's spot on analysis. One other area that really separates them is their quality depth, they can overcome injuries and stay fresh with rotations, just impressive to have very few weak spots 2-3 deep.

All that said, they have been on a heck of a run and probably only way they lose to Coatesville is if they make a few bug mistakes and C-ville takes advantage of them. They are due for some mistakes, see if they can hold them off a couple more weeks.

Had a great game plan, team played best ive seen. Funny np kid was transfer from cb west to np and prep qb was tranfer, or re-located from Lansdale/ np to prep. Ha, craziness bruh!

I do enjoy Cover getting fired up. And that NP team last year was fantastic, took a kid who is getting his highlights on espn now to beat them.
Recently looked at QB from PR highlights. I cannot say he will be shut down easily. If Prep gets them they are gonna have to score. Gotta tell you, Jurkovec being tall and athletic in those green uni's reminds me of a squad out of delco many many moons ago that I thought was fantastic. He kind of throws and moves like that qb and the small receivers remind of them. Cov...any idea what I am referring to?

I do enjoy Cover getting fired up. And that NP team last year was fantastic, took a kid who is getting his highlights on espn now to beat them.
Recently looked at QB from PR highlights. I cannot say he will be shut down easily. If Prep gets them they are gonna have to score. Gotta tell you, Jurkovec being tall and athletic in those green uni's reminds me of a squad out of delco many many moons ago that I thought was fantastic. He kind of throws and moves like that qb and the small receivers remind of them. Cov...any idea what I am referring to?

6DTS - Dennis Decker?

Jeez, could be a blundin reference, my god those teams from McNicholas, to blundin, to bair, and on and on, egee etc, etc. Man that was qb U.

Soup, yes denny decker, holy shit look at that group. Tough loss in final from what i recall.

Nailed it on Blundin. Watching PR Jurkovec towers over his receivers and throws bullets to average sized kids. I think Blundin had a bigger cannon though honestly.

Yea man, shafted by kc and Joe montana. Had ncaa record for awhile i believe, may still have it. Consecutive passes without int if not mistaken.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT