ADVERTISEMENT

LaSalle-SJP... the video history

yesman3

Oct 15, 2013
Saw this posted by Bill Wasylenko, LS "historian". Thought it was cool, brought back some fond memories, and some not so fond..
Only saw 1st 6-7 minutes then had to get back to work!! Great job Bill, I'm sure our Jesuit brothers will enjoy as well..

Saw this posted by Bill Wasylenko, LS "historian". Thought it was cool, brought back some fond memories, and some not so fond..
Only saw 1st 6-7 minutes then had to get back to work!! Great job Bill, I'm sure our Jesuit brothers will enjoy as well..

The Wizard of Wyndmoor does it again. Did either of these teams play defense through the years!!!!

What a video. What's more impressive especially from LaSalle's perspective is the fact that they were so successful doing it all these years with so few D1 prospects.

Greta video. Well done and impressive. Good perspective for those not in tune with the rivalry and history of the 2 schools.

Very nice video. Really nice to see that type of "thing" which was really fun to watch. Some "historical" photos and "older" video clips with it with the recent years. Some great runs and pass plays. Just the right music to set it all off (and nice touch at the end).

Great job.

Reactions: lilromeo

Really fun to watch .I wish I could identify more of the players . It got me going for this year.

Really fun to watch .I wish I could identify more of the players . It got me going for this year.
Lots of good and lots of painful memories in the video.

In the ten years or so I know most about (early 60's to early 70's) the Prep and LaSalle were not particular rivals The Prep's big Thanksgiving game was against Roman (at the time the second longest rivalry in the city after Central-Northeast) and the team we played the biggest games against were West Catholic (in the earlier years) and Bonner. In fact, the North Division / South Division structure meant that most years the Prep and LaSallle didn't even play one another. I remember we opened 1969 playing a non-division game against LaSalle and it didn't generate much interest on either side. I guess it was LaSalle's replacing Roman as the Prep's Thanksgiving opponent in about '73 (maybe caused by the closing of Roman's Cahill Field at 29th and Allegheny) that restarted the Prep-LaSalle rivalry.

Reactions: paul from philly
Lots of good and lots of painful memories in the video.

In the ten years or so I know most about (early 60's to early 70's) the Prep and LaSalle were not particular rivals The Prep's big Thanksgiving game was against Roman (at the time the second longest rivalry in the city after Central-Northeast) and the team we played the biggest games against were West Catholic (in the earlier years) and Bonner. In fact, the North Division / South Division structure meant that most years the Prep and LaSallle didn't even play one another. I remember we opened 1969 playing a non-division game against LaSalle and it didn't generate much interest on either side. I guess it was LaSalle's replacing Roman as the Prep's Thanksgiving opponent in about '73 (maybe caused by the closing of Roman's Cahill Field at 29th and Allegheny) that restarted the Prep-LaSalle rivalry.

Very true Tulla. There were decades where La Salle didn't play St. Joe's. And another point about the rivalry, only until recently have the two been good at the same time. Sort of like the Mets and the Phillies never really having an out and out rivalry. They were never good at the same time. The Flannery years at La Salle were dark. George Winslow, Ryan Winslow's father always told a funny story about "Tex" Flannery. George was the punter and during a game, Tex yelled out "Punting team get out there!" George told him it was only third down and Tex responded, "Well, punt anyway!!"

Last edited:
Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Need to give props when they're due. This is very well done. Pain and pride from both sides. This was a respectful representation of one of the best rivalries in the area. The season is just about upon us.

Need to give props when they're due. This is very well done. Pain and pride from both sides. This was a respectful representation of one of the best rivalries in the area. The season is just about upon us.

That's "the Waz"/"Mr. LaSalle". He bleeds the Blue and Gold but one of the most respectful and kindest men I've ever met. His history data bank is unparalleled, IMO.

I see where Prep and Bergen scrimmage this weekend. BC again has gotten big-time national pre-season praise, yet still looking for their 1st title since '04. Major undercurrent here, Greg Toal, who brought Don Bosco football to national prominence was "dismissed" (the real story here seems to be a mystery?) by Bosco earlier this year and has joined the coaching staff of Bergen Catholic. Should be a good test in gauging where both programs lie for the upcoming season. Needless to say and for the most part, both schools at this point in their program histories weigh their success on winning state championships and preparing their student-athletes for the next level.

Reactions: lilromeo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT