ADVERTISEMENT

Inter-AC Football

interacfan

Sep 5, 2015
Since they're not in the PIAA nobody really talks about them, but the Inter-AC has come a long way in recent years. For years the only team that was worth mentioning was Malvern, but the Inter-AC as a whole has put itself on the map a little bit. The Haverford School dominated Malvern this weekend 31-14. HS has now won 6 of their last 7 meetings with Malvern, Malvern beat St Joes Prep and nearly beat LaSalle. According to Ted Silary, the league was 25-5 this year in non-league play which includes going 8-3 against the Philly Catholic League. It seems like every team has underclassmen playing all over the field. The youth movement can only mean that the league's future remains bright. I can't wait to see who is going to win the league championship. Right now the two undefeated teams (Haverford School and Germantown Academy) control their own destiny, but don't count Malvern out.

Was kind of hoping the PIAA would have included 1 or 2 classifications for Private schools in their realignment with the Inter-Ac and PCL joining from the Philly area. I know the Inter-AC generally wouldn't do it because of traditional reasons and the fact that kids generally play multiple sports, but was holding out hope anyway. Oh well.

The issue with the InterAc joining with the PCL is the 5th year issue. Schools like Chestnut Hill, Penn Charter, and Haverford School make a living on getting those 7-8-9th graders and repeating them to get adjusted to the heavy school load.
All things aside, would love to see the Prep, Malvern, Lasalle, Haverford in a league battling it out in a more "meaningful" setting.

I know Penn Charter is known for Post graduates. Not so sure Haverford School has that reputation. I do not recall any in recent years.

The issue with the InterAc joining with the PCL is the 5th year issue. Schools like Chestnut Hill, Penn Charter, and Haverford School make a living on getting those 7-8-9th graders and repeating them to get adjusted to the heavy school load.
All things aside, would love to see the Prep, Malvern, Lasalle, Haverford in a league battling it out in a more "meaningful" setting.

Everyone get your terms straight as I think it causes a lot of confusion when talking about post grad students. A 7th or 8th grade student repeating a grade before entering HS is not considered a 5th year student by the PIAA. It happens all the time at public HSs. Same as starting a kid a year late beginning in kindergarten. You can check birthdays of some of the public school stars if you like on their college site as most post birth dates to see who was older.

A 5th year Post grad is some one who has graduated HS. The Interac does not have "post grads" but many kids who repeat a grade before entering or who take more than 4 years to graduate.

Last edited:
Since they're not in the PIAA nobody really talks about them, but the Inter-AC has come a long way in recent years. For years the only team that was worth mentioning was Malvern, but the Inter-AC as a whole has put itself on the map a little bit. The Haverford School dominated Malvern this weekend 31-14. HS has now won 6 of their last 7 meetings with Malvern, Malvern beat St Joes Prep and nearly beat LaSalle. According to Ted Silary, the league was 25-5 this year in non-league play which includes going 8-3 against the Philly Catholic League. It seems like every team has underclassmen playing all over the field. The youth movement can only mean that the league's future remains bright. I can't wait to see who is going to win the league championship. Right now the two undefeated teams (Haverford School and Germantown Academy) control their own destiny, but don't count Malvern out.

Was kind of hoping the PIAA would have included 1 or 2 classifications for Private schools in their realignment with the Inter-Ac and PCL joining from the Philly area. I know the Inter-AC generally wouldn't do it because of traditional reasons and the fact that kids generally play multiple sports, but was holding out hope anyway. Oh well.

Within 5 years LaSalle & the Prep will be in the inter-ac

I believe the PIAA rule is an individual can play a sport as long as they have not turned 20 before July 1st of a school year. Looking back I can remember a couple kids not playing their SR. year. They were also driving in ninth grade. Not positive of the rule, does anyone know for sure?

Within 5 years LaSalle & the Prep will be in the inter-ac
No chance the Inter-Ac takes in St.Joes or LaSalle. What does the Inter-Ac have to gain by having them in the league. Right now CHA, Penn Charter, EA and GA could not compete against the Prep or LaSalle in football. Risk of not only getting embarrassed but seriously beat up. Also, the Prep and LaSalle are going to give up charging for games? The inter AC only charges for attendance to first league basketball game.

The PIAA rules is twofold: you cannot turn 20 during the school year AND once you enter 9th grade, you only have 4 years of eligibility. So if you repeat any grade(9-11) you do NOT gain an extra year of eligibility regardless of how old you are. In other words, once you enroll in ANY high school, you cannot "redshirt" and gain an extra year. If you are forced to repeat a year in high school for some unforeseen reason that usually is not academically related ( health issues, family issues, etc) you can petition the PIAA for an extra year. But you can only petition if you are also not turning 20 during the school year in question.

So what many schools in the south do is flunk kids in 8th grade=which is perfectly legal since they are not in high school yet. In theory, a kid held back as an 8th grader is one year older, one year more mature, etc by the time he is a senior, therefore a better player-just like a redshirt in college.

Back in the day, the Inter Ac used to make kids transferring in repeat years for academic reasons. So if a kid from Ridley was transferring in to Malvern in 10th grade, Malvern would look at the Ridley kids transcript and basically say you are going to be way behind the rest of the 10th grade kids here academically so we think you should repeat 9th grade here at Malvern so you don't totally get left behind academically. And for academic reasons its a very sound philosophy since you are giving the kid a chance to succeed. However, if the Ridley student also played 9th grade football at Ridley, and then 4 more years of football at Malvern, he would then be a "5TH YEAR SENIOR". This is a NO NO under the PIAA, but acceptable in the Inter AC. I am not sure if this still takes place in the Inter AC and how many kids it affects but maybe some one in the know from the league can shed some light on this.

The PIAA rules is twofold: you cannot turn 20 during the school year AND once you enter 9th grade, you only have 4 years of eligibility. So if you repeat any grade(9-11) you do NOT gain an extra year of eligibility regardless of how old you are. In other words, once you enroll in ANY high school, you cannot "redshirt" and gain an extra year. If you are forced to repeat a year in high school for some unforeseen reason that usually is not academically related ( health issues, family issues, etc) you can petition the PIAA for an extra year. But you can only petition if you are also not turning 20 during the school year in question.

So what many schools in the south do is flunk kids in 8th grade=which is perfectly legal since they are not in high school yet. In theory, a kid held back as an 8th grader is one year older, one year more mature, etc by the time he is a senior, therefore a better player-just like a redshirt in college.

Back in the day, the Inter Ac used to make kids transferring in repeat years for academic reasons. So if a kid from Ridley was transferring in to Malvern in 10th grade, Malvern would look at the Ridley kids transcript and basically say you are going to be way behind the rest of the 10th grade kids here academically so we think you should repeat 9th grade here at Malvern so you don't totally get left behind academically. And for academic reasons its a very sound philosophy since you are giving the kid a chance to succeed. However, if the Ridley student also played 9th grade football at Ridley, and then 4 more years of football at Malvern, he would then be a "5TH YEAR SENIOR". This is a NO NO under the PIAA, but acceptable in the Inter AC. I am not sure if this still takes place in the Inter AC and how many kids it affects but maybe some one in the know from the league can shed some light on this.
Haverford School has one football player who transferred from a PCL school after his junior year. I believe he was re-classified as a junior.

Assuming the Haverford School scenario is true, that student would be ineligible to play next year as a senior if Haverford were part of the PIAA. In addition, no PIAA school could play Haverford School next year if that kid plays. So Haverford School would have to sit the kid out against any PIAA member school or the PIAA school would risk forfeiting the game.

I could be wrong, but I believe the rule is that you can't be 19 before the start of the school year (senior year).

No chance the Inter-Ac takes in St.Joes or LaSalle. What does the Inter-Ac have to gain by having them in the league. Right now CHA, Penn Charter, EA and GA could not compete against the Prep or LaSalle in football. Risk of not only getting embarrassed but seriously beat up. Also, the Prep and LaSalle are going to give up charging for games? The inter AC only charges for attendance to first league basketball game.

Agree 100% with this. Why would LaSalle and SJP give up the chance to compete in the PIAA, especially considering how successful they've been since entering? They have absolutely nothing to gain by joining the Inter-Ac.

The actual age rule says you cannot turn 19 before June 30 of the year proceeding your senior year, which is the same as not turning 20 before July 1 of your senior year.

Assuming the Haverford School scenario is true, that student would be ineligible to play next year as a senior if Haverford were part of the PIAA. In addition, no PIAA school could play Haverford School next year if that kid plays. So Haverford School would have to sit the kid out against any PIAA member school or the PIAA school would risk forfeiting the game.

I am pretty sure age is the only thing the PIAA would look at to determine eligibility when playing a PIAA team. Other rules like the 5 year rule and recruiting do not apply in a PIAA review. Should also note that the Interac has a transfer rule, I think it is still in effect, which requires a player to sit out any Interac game if they transfer and played that sport at another school the previous season. They can play in other games just not Interac games. This really limits transfers which are quite rare in the Interac. You can count transfers INTO the Interac on one hand. Should be a PIAA rule too.

The actual age rule says you cannot turn 19 before June 30 of the year proceeding your senior year, which is the same as not turning 20 before July 1 of your senior year.

Jeez, didn't realize that rule. Would think most PIAA kids are entering or in their Soph. year of college at 20 years of age by July 1st, No?

There a many players out there that turn 19 during the summer prior or during there senior year. Inter-Ac with reclassification in 8th grade or transfer like mentioned earlier, PCL as well, especially with transfers from inter-ac, and public schools with pre-first or repeating a elementary/middle school grade....19 vs 15-16-17 is a distinct difference.....All schools have, just an individual situation....True age is very rarely discussed but huge fatcor, the scouting sites do give a better picture when they post age... Parents get real sensitive about it too, when it is discussed......

The other side of it is you have some 17 year olds playing freshman collegiate ball vs 23 year olds..not as frequent but it happens, but 18 is very common....

Imagine being 19 playing high school or 18 playing college.....

We've seen kids with late birthdays ( November / December ) start first grade in September as five year olds ( turning 6 that November/December) playing football as seniors at 16 ( turning 17 that November/ December) against other seniors who are 19. 3 year age difference , same class.

Not sure why Inter-Ac fans every year make it out that the PIAA is keeping the league out. It's easy; adhere to all the rules and regulations that every PIAA member school does and I'm sure they would welcome you into the PIAA. The issue here is the Inter-Ac, not the PIAA or the PIAA member schools

Don't think that is the issue JB. The ADs and headmasters meet almost every year and vote. They have their own rules and their own way of doing things that they have followed for years. It will be many years before the Inter-Ac has another party dictate to them what rules will be.

I agree the IA is having a great year in football. I don't see a joining to the PIAA...they have a good thing, why would you change it to play a few extra games.

I agree the IA is having a great year in football. I don't see a joining to the PIAA...they have a good thing, why would you change it to play a few extra games.

pcl,
I never see them joining the PIAA either. They are well endowed, well funded, mostly venerable institutions. Economically they can survive w/o any outside dictation, period. They would not adhere to PIAA rules and regulations, nor due they have any desire to.

I still think playing for that Hershey Gold (FB, Soccer, Lax et al.) and the weekend TV coverage for that is something special, IMHO.. People like John Nostrant offset that by becoming a recruiting magnet promoting school and playing a "national" schedule, thus contending for "mythical" NC's. The Inter-Academy's post season (lax) tournament is a high level affair, I just don't think it compares to the intrigue and impassioned debate/profile that follows the PIAA tournaments.

Last edited:
Yes you are on point with that. The state gold is awesome and an experience that even if you win the inter ac and then the independent school tourney (in some sports) doesn't compare. But I think that is also what makes it unique. It's true prep school athletics, and I think there is room for that. While the talent is surely very good, sometimes outstanding in spots, it isn't PIAA and that is ok. If you need the Hershey gold...you gotta go where you can get it.

They have done this before. But typically they don't have anymore than 1 or 2 per class. Not sure they have any this year.

So...when a parent "holds" their child back in 8th grade and then the kid goes on to high school...how is that different than someone going to an Inter-Ac school and repeating 9th grade to academically catch up?

Don't know of any Post-Graduates in the league this year. Hill School (non-InterAc school) has 2 and one of them is from Penn Charter!

Also if you are referring to the Judge lineman who transferred to Haverford, he is a senior.

So...when a parent "holds" their child back in 8th grade and then the kid goes on to high school...how is that different than someone going to an Inter-Ac school and repeating 9th grade to academically catch up?

Don't know of any Post-Graduates in the league this year. Hill School (non-InterAc school) has 2 and one of them is from Penn Charter!

Also if you are referring to the Judge lineman who transferred to Haverford, he is a senior.

There isn't much difference, IMO.

It's the athletic allowance of a 20 y.o. by July 1st "senior" that continues to catch my eye and rubs me differently. That being said, it's a family decision, not mine. If they are comfortable with that and not being done for academic reasons, that's their call.

As I mentioned before, I really don't believe the I-Ac cares what the PIAA rules and regs are. There is no movement to assimilate in any official manner. They are mostly venerable, well funded, well endowed institutions that have been surviving quite nicely w/o any "outside" interference.

The Judge lineman returned to Judge before the season started. He is a senior, but would have been a junior if he stayed at HS.

Not sure why we the public make such a major issue out of this non issue. LaSalle and St. Joes play Malvern. Father Judge and DTown East (last year) play The Haverford School. Bishop Shanahan played GA and Penn Charter. Conestoga played Episcopal. These teams would not play them if eligibility were a concern. The punishment, if caught is very strict and would cost teams playoff seeds. Can we please put this non issue to bed.

Not sure why we the public make such a major issue out of this non issue. LaSalle and St. Joes play Malvern. Father Judge and DTown East (last year) play The Haverford School. Bishop Shanahan played GA and Penn Charter. Conestoga played Episcopal. These teams would not play them if eligibility were a concern. The punishment, if caught is very strict and would cost teams playoff seeds. Can we please put this non issue to bed.

delco,
Don't really see anyone here making a "major" issue of it? My stated feeling noted above, family decision/concern, not my issue. Don't assume the I-Ac folks really get worked up over what PCL/PIAA people think anyway including athletic age allowances.

We enjoy playing MP in football, their history is rich and teams are always fundamentally sound. Lax, of course, is essential. Although they're not PIAA participating, that's generally how you grade yourself in this state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT