ADVERTISEMENT

How is this transfer possible?

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
The N-G girls added the Virginia freshman of the year to their roster just in time for the state playoffs. She's only played in 4 games, all in the state playoffs. I found the comments in this article from the Dunmore coach to be pretty amusing.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/girls-basketball-dunmore-set-for-state-semis-1.2315466

I give the Dunmore coach credit in the game article. He said all the right things and didn't complain.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/...neumann-goretti-in-state-semifinals-1.2315784

What a shame. Agreed, the Dunmore HC is handling it the right way in the media. Hopefully, he's raising hell behind the scenes.

Bottom line Office of Catholic Education in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia is an absolute embarrassment at this point. The amount of these outrageous situations that never get addressed just points to have far down the slippery slope this has now gone. Conwell Egan did same thing in football. Top administration at HS level is inept and a total fangless joke and has been for years. Have been numerous transfers that come in, compete in a sport, never pay tuition and disappear. It happens at ALL these schools. It's a total farce and disgrace at this point.

While it's a joke that the PIAA is as incompetent as it is as any type of governing body the real blame here is not with them. The blame falls squarely on people of authority in the archdiocese, the individual schools, and the individual teams. First the archdiocese has done nothing to establish any guidelines and rules within the PCL that member schools can abide by. So then it falls to the individual schools. The schools are changing presidents like most people change underwear (7 new ones this year alone) and most of these new people are business people with only two goals. Raise money and increase enrollment. By any means possible.

Because of this these presidents use no common sense in situations like this. They take a kid and make them immediately eligible because it might help them win games, championships and in their minds help with the raise money and increase enrollment mandates they need to meet to keep their jobs. Then when the kids they take game the system, end up never paying tuition and the school falls into arrears with the Archdiocese because fund raising doesn't go as well as needed we change the underwear again (ie president gets fired) and we look for the next Pied Piper. No coincidence that 7 new presidents are in. See above. It's a joke.

Finally if you are a HS coach how about practicing a little of what you preach. Expect kids to have offseason commitment to program, talk about binding as a family, lessons about sports as metaphor of life etc ,etc. You can never say it's about more than winning games when you make a maneuver like this. Can't say it's about kids. It's about you. It's about you wining games. It's about you winning championships. It's about you not having the integrity to say I'm not going to take a player 30 games into the season because it isn't right, it isn't fair to both my kids and the other kids who have worked so hard.

If the president says you have to take the kid, you only have one choice. You say then I've coached my last game here because integrity and ethics are on your side and explain to your kids that if you did anything else everything you taught them was hypocritical. Amazing to me a president, AD and coach can look at each other and say yes this seems remotely reasonable. Zero perspective and integrity from adults.

Before anyone says I'm a Catholic hater, I'm a dyed in the wool Catholic League guy. 40 years deep. 19 years of Catholic education. Years of dedicated time to the sports causes. This kills me that something I have felt so strongly about can me this morally bankrupt and irretrievably broken.

As Stated earlier which Miami Hurricanes teams do you remember the Jimmy Johnson Hurricanes or the Randy Shannon Hurricanes?

Bottom line Office of Catholic Education in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia is an absolute embarrassment at this point. The amount of these outrageous situations that never get addressed just points to have far down the slippery slope this has now gone. Conwell Egan did same thing in football. Top administration at HS level is inept and a total fangless joke and has been for years. Have been numerous transfers that come in, compete in a sport, never pay tuition and disappear. It happens at ALL these schools. It's a total farce and disgrace at this point.

While it's a joke that the PIAA is as incompetent as it is as any type of governing body the real blame here is not with them. The blame falls squarely on people of authority in the archdiocese, the individual schools, and the individual teams. First the archdiocese has done nothing to establish any guidelines and rules within the PCL that member schools can abide by. So then it falls to the individual schools. The schools are changing presidents like most people change underwear (7 new ones this year alone) and most of these new people are business people with only two goals. Raise money and increase enrollment. By any means possible.

Because of this these presidents use no common sense in situations like this. They take a kid and make them immediately eligible because it might help them win games, championships and in their minds help with the raise money and increase enrollment mandates they need to meet to keep their jobs. Then when the kids they take game the system, end up never paying tuition and the school falls into arrears with the Archdiocese because fund raising doesn't go as well as needed we change the underwear again (ie president gets fired) and we look for the next Pied Piper. No coincidence that 7 new presidents are in. See above. It's a joke.

Finally if you are a HS coach how about practicing a little of what you preach. Expect kids to have offseason commitment to program, talk about binding as a family, lessons about sports as metaphor of life etc ,etc. You can never say it's about more than winning games when you make a maneuver like this. Can't say it's about kids. It's about you. It's about you wining games. It's about you winning championships. It's about you not having the integrity to say I'm not going to take a player 30 games into the season because it isn't right, it isn't fair to both my kids and the other kids who have worked so hard.

If the president says you have to take the kid, you only have one choice. You say then I've coached my last game here because integrity and ethics are on your side and explain to your kids that if you did anything else everything you taught them was hypocritical. Amazing to me a president, AD and coach can look at each other and say yes this seems remotely reasonable. Zero perspective and integrity from adults.

Before anyone says I'm a Catholic hater, I'm a dyed in the wool Catholic League guy. 40 years deep. 19 years of Catholic education. Years of dedicated time to the sports causes. This kills me that something I have felt so strongly about can me this morally bankrupt and irretrievably broken.
Imagine the howl from these sanctimonious son of a bitches if the situation was flipped.

Sammyk you are or have been a high school coach recently correct? So by reading your response I guess you fall in the win by any means necessary camp. To each their own and you are entitled to your opinion.

I personally see coaches as educators whose primary goal is impart knowledge, provide opportunity for growth and set an example.

Winning games is nice and necessary to stick around. However the how’s and why’s are very important especially at high school level. Your best record isn’t wins but the people you produce. Bringing in a mercenary to win a high school championship cheapens the whole high school landscape that is supposed to be about kids. We are at the point where we need a trade deadline for HS sports. All because ADULT parents, coaches and admins have a win at all costs ego driven mentality. Anyone with eyes can see this is ridiculous.

Reactions: bohucon
Sammyk you are or have been a high school coach recently correct? So by reading your response I guess you fall in the win by any means necessary camp. To each their own and you are entitled to your opinion.

I personally see coaches as educators whose primary goal is impart knowledge, provide opportunity for growth and set an example.

Winning games is nice and necessary to stick around. However the how’s and why’s are very important especially at high school level. Your best record isn’t wins but the people you produce. Bringing in a mercenary to win a high school championship cheapens the whole high school landscape that is supposed to be about kids. We are at the point where we need a trade deadline for HS sports. All because ADULT parents, coaches and admins have a win at all costs ego driven mentality. Anyone with eyes can see this is ridiculous.

You say it (bringing in an athlete who is brand new to the school just to play in the playoffs) happens in all the PCL schools. I can't recall other schools doing what CE and NG did this year--and I don't think most have done anything close.

Tulla transfers come in at every school in archdiocese for athletic purposes. Enroll as close to start of season as possible. Then financial obligations aren’t met after a grace period and kid disappears. Prep and LaSalle their own animal and self contained. Talking archdiocesan schools.

The shell game interactions between archdiocese, school presidents, financial offices at the schools, athletic booster clubs, and coaches is a debacle.

So insert team name here. They take four transfers 3 weeks before season. Kids play part of season. No payment made. Parents say coach said it would be taken care of. Archdiocese says money is due on per head charge to president and financial office. President goes to coach and says these 4 owe. Coach goes to boosters it’s covered or not covered. If not covered kid moves on often after season or school year. Total shadow system. Everywhere in league. Open secret. If happens too many times without payment from parents or outside sources school falls in arrears with archdiocese and president changes.

So when that culture exists you are so far down the rabbit hole that when a kid transfers in strictly for state playoffs you get a shoulder shrug and nothing is off limits.

You say it’s only happened twice this late in the season. That is true. I look at that it’s happened twice in the last two state tournament seasons. Conwell Egan in football and NG in basketball. Not even to mention the miraculous transfer turnaround at NG in football in one offseason.

Last thing and I do not know this as fact so I may be incorrect. Fairly certain this transfer was in the school before PCL playoffs. Coincidentally she wasn’t eligible until states. So it had no effect on another PCL team like OHara or Carroll in PCL playoffs because if it did league would go insane. The whole thing is cess pool and they clearly can’t self police.

Tulla transfers come in at every school in archdiocese for athletic purposes. Enroll as close to start of season as possible. Then financial obligations aren’t met after a grace period and kid disappears. Prep and LaSalle their own animal and self contained. Talking archdiocesan schools.

The shell game interactions between archdiocese, school presidents, financial offices at the schools, athletic booster clubs, and coaches is a debacle.

So insert team name here. They take four transfers 3 weeks before season. Kids play part of season. No payment made. Parents say coach said it would be taken care of. Archdiocese says money is due on per head charge to president and financial office. President goes to coach and says these 4 owe. Coach goes to boosters it’s covered or not covered. If not covered kid moves on often after season or school year. Total shadow system. Everywhere in league. Open secret. If happens too many times without payment from parents or outside sources school falls in arrears with archdiocese and president changes.

So when that culture exists you are so far down the rabbit hole that when a kid transfers in strictly for state playoffs you get a shoulder shrug and nothing is off limits.

You say it’s only happened twice this late in the season. That is true. I look at that it’s happened twice in the last two state tournament seasons. Conwell Egan in football and NG in basketball. Not even to mention the miraculous transfer turnaround at NG in football in one offseason.

Last thing and I do not know this as fact so I may be incorrect. Fairly certain this transfer was in the school before PCL playoffs. Coincidentally she wasn’t eligible until states. So it had no effect on another PCL team like OHara or Carroll in PCL playoffs because if it did league would go insane. The whole thing is cess pool and they clearly can’t self police.
Thanks for the explanation. While I understand the general picture, I think it's still important to make distinctions between more and less outrageous practices. Also, do you really think all the archdiocesan schools are implicated? It just strikes me that Lansdale Catholic and N-G, for instance, are such different kinds of schools.

Beneath the surface of your comments seems to lie the question of what's the point of many of the archdiocesan schools in 2018? I think I understand the point of West Catholic, and SJP and LaSalle are different fish completely, but I'm not sure about several of the others? Is there a distinct Catholic ethos in them now? Are they academically better than the public schools their students would otherwise attend? Are they better at engaging disadvantaged students?

....and never a peep from the Philly press....ever! Can someone have the balls for once to say this is an outrage? In many cases the D12 schools are impossible to root for. (see Egan football last fall)

Last edited:
In all fairness to the PCL , it happened a few weeks ago at Unionville High School as well. Highly decorated wrestler completed a full season of wrestling at a Maryland Prep School. Then , just before post season in Pennsylvania he transferred into Unionville and was eligible to wrestle in LESS than a week ! How can this be legal. . ? And even if it is , how does the coach use him ? What can you possibly say to,the kid whose spot he is taking , who has practiced and sweat and bled and cut weight since November and probably has been in Unionville for 10-11 years. How do you take that kid out of the lineup ? If the coaches stopped playing the kids , the kids would stop transferring.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
....and never a peep from the Philly press....ever! Can someone have the balls for once to say this is an outrage? In many cases the D12 schools are impossible to root for. (see Egan football last fall)

I can't really fault that kid who transferred to CE. When you are presented with an opportunity to get a rigorous, top notch education while playing in tradition-rich, consistently successful program, you have to jump at it.

Green $$$$. Yes I have been a coach for 23 years and a head coach for 9 and my comment was meant to be facetious to a degree. The county Where I teach and coach has a choice transfer policy that makes what is going on in PA look like Sunday school. Kids can go to any school they want to in my county at any year that they are in school. So where I am at either you adapt or you are out of a job, hell boys I could recruit in the SEC after my time in this place. You not only have to recruit to get players to come to your school you have to recruit your own kids to keep them. When I first got here there were kids player at other schools from my district that went on to play at Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, UNC, ect. Now we are keeping our kids and getting some from other schools and poof we are better and winning more , imagine that

Last edited:
I don't understand why the PIAA will not institute a rule regarding in-season transfers. They continue to allow it, which attracts a ton of negative publicity. Likewise, from a competitive standpoint it is simply unfair to all involved, besides the transfer student. People keep saying they are working on something, but I am yet to see anything come out of it. Unless I missed it?

My point is do not even put the districts/leagues in the position to make a decision; there is no uniformity amongst the districts/leagues because there is often a conflict of interest (i.e the claim this transfer student sat out PCL games and joined in state playoff games). Or there are different people governing these districts/leagues who have drastically different viewpoints regarding this issue. Either way, they have proved unable to manage the situation, so take it out of their hands.

To be clear, I'm not inherently against transfers. I just find in-season transfers to be unjust to the student-athletes involved for various reasons.

Gang, I agree with you as far as blaming the entities that you have. But - if the PIAA would just add a simple line to the bylaws, such as a transfer is ineligible (or ineligible for playoffs) if they transfer in after a certain point in the regular season, it would bind the mischievous hands of others down the line. Why does the PIAA sit silent while these things occur? The CE and NG playoff transfers are so unfair - I can't believe the PIAA endorses these moves by their inaction. And they do this while declaring other kids ineligible FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON if they determine a pre-season transfer is athletically-motivated. How can they look themselves in the mirror?

Speed - totally agree with you about the wrestler. But unfortunately many if not most coaches will use that kid if the PIAA doesn't stop them.

js - I don't fault the CE kid either. The PIAA allowed the transfer, and as Gang said, no one else in a position of authority (coach, school admin, etc.) put their foot down.

This weekend in Hershey we know one of the PIAA shills will be interviewed on PCN. I would love to see them ask specifically about this transfer, What we'll get is the usual softball questions and candy coated answers on how great everything is. Like every year, rinse and repeat.

It's pathetic that the entire PCL is painted with such a broad brush. No doubt, there have been questionable transfers in pubs as well (see above and PR football). Frankly, is love to see open boundaries for all. Your school taxes should follow your child.

Reactions: lilromeo
Haha.

NA is a far bigger public school culprit out here. See Porter, Leftwich, Kugler1, Kugler2. Those last 3 were FAR better players than any of the kids PR has gotten over the last 3 years!

PIAA board isn't going to do shit. It's up to the school districts to take action and we know that's not going to happen. Can we say, "holding pattern".

It's pathetic that the entire PCL is painted with such a broad brush. No doubt, there have been questionable transfers in pubs as well (see above and PR football). Frankly, is love to see open boundaries for all. Your school taxes should follow your child.

Agree on first two sentences.. good luck with the rest! If that happens, I am moving into Overbrook/West Philly and sending my kid to Lower Merion SD.

Reactions: Fletchster1
Frankly, is love to see open boundaries for all. Your school taxes should follow your child.

This sounds like a great idea from 10,000 feet, but the implementation would be a disaster. I'm a school choice guy; better competition equals better results, but I'm just not sure how you transition to it from our current system. This would absolutely destroy real estate values in good school districts that border crappy school districts (i.e. Dtown next to Cville).

This horse has been beat to death.. until the PIAA does something I doubt a school will... I have a bard question.. if there are any lawyers on the board (real or play one on TV)... if the PIAA did not have any type of enforcement in place for playing transfers... if a student transferred to another school regardless of when.. and the school did not let them play in a sport if they did not have a written policy regarding transfers.. could the student / parent bring a lawsuit against the school?

As Stated earlier which Miami Hurricanes teams do you remember the Jimmy Johnson Hurricanes or the Randy Shannon Hurricanes?
I wouldn't 't let my kids near you. You're a true scumbag as a coach, and as a person.
My brother's brother in law sent his kids to Allentown Central Catholic. Two girls paid almost $18,000 per years. They were taunted over and over by kids paying nothing to go there. The father and mother were big donors to the school, too. That ended after taunting wa brought to The school president's attention. The claim was blown off by the school. This guy's kids graduated and he stopped his 5 figure donations. They lost him, completely. The guy and wife have become very sour on ACCHS.

I wouldn't 't let my kids near you. You're a true scumbag as a coach, and as a person.
My brother's brother in law sent his kids to Allentown Central Catholic. Two girls paid almost $18,000 per years. They were taunted over and over by kids paying nothing to go there. The father and mother were big donors to the school, too. That ended after taunting wa brought to The school president's attention. The claim was blown off by the school. This guy's kids graduated and he stopped his 5 figure donations. They lost him, completely. The guy and wife have become very sour on ACCHS.
WOW well thanks I am sure you did not read the other post that I had and my players and parents would disagree with your comments. Wait does ECP fan mean Erie Cathedral Prep??? Now that's a little rich don't you think. Anyway as stated in a later post that comment I made was in jest so read a little further before you start calling people scumbags. So be a little informed there chief before you throw out insults. It is not hard to find out who I am and see what has been done by the staff at the school I am at,and how kids have been helped. Your kid would be lucky to have me and my coaches helping them

Last edited:
From the Pennlive website:

"N-G’s X-factor in the Class 3A rematch is 5-foot-5 guard Diamond Johnson, a controversial, late-season transfer from Virginia, who averaged 33 PPG in 19 games for Phoebus High before transferring to N-G in February. According to a statement from District 12 vice chairperson Joe Sette addressed to Bob Greenburg of sportsradio967.com, Johnson was eventually cleared to play by the PIAA and eligible to suit up for the Saints beginning on March 5."

It might not seem fair, but the PIAA deemed it legal. For what that's worth.

In other news, Kennedy Catholic had a rough path to the A State Title:
73-26, 73-37, 77-53, 77-30, 78-36 in the final. How does a team "celebrate" such laughers? Team they beat in the final had won 71-33 and 63-38 previously in the playoffs.

In other news, Kennedy Catholic had a rough path to the A State Title:
73-26, 73-37, 77-53, 77-30, 78-36 in the final. How does a team "celebrate" such laughers? Team they beat in the final had won 71-33 and 63-38 previously in the playoffs.
Watched the game and Kennedy Catholic is a very solid team that IMO should be playing way up . They are a superior program so much above the single A level of competition.

Watched the game and Kennedy Catholic is a very solid team that IMO should be playing way up . They are a superior program so much above the single A level of competition.

Lil….they’ve been saying that about Kennedy Catholic formerly Kennedy Christian for years. Back in ‘01 they were hanging with great teams from Schenley and St. Mary’s-St. Vincent (Akron, 3rd USA-Today, losing by a point) the year they put 4 consecutive state titles together to tie Carlisle while beating my nephew’s team in the final. Good genes. Ha!

Back then they looked like a college team and were awesome. Anyway, I made up a plaque with some cool photos-newspaper clippings for a booklet naming Fairfield High the “Public School State Champion.” I still get free admission to the games. But seriously it was a fun ride going to states making it to the final and Hershey.

Reactions: lilromeo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT