ADVERTISEMENT

Harrisburg 27 Cville 24 final

ChesMont2

Oct 25, 2007
Coatesville looked out of sync all game. Harrisburg played well and QB is tremendous athlete. Ortega was off often appeared to be trying to do too much. All state RB never saw ball as much as he should all year especially today. At least ten false start or illegal procedure penalties. Really curious game plan offensively

Not shocking at all, genius coaching staff at coatesville got outcoached by Harrisburg. Great job by that staff in last 5 minutes, burning clock and sending pressure so Ortega couldn't get off hail Mary. Rushed 4 on that play, sending one off the edge. Kudos to hburg after getting blasted before by coatesville.

Reactions: Bighead75
Coatesville I heard 16 penalties for 99 yards. News flash Harrisburg is very good. Had athletes to match Ville. 1st game of year final score was misleading. Game was much closer. Coatesville scored on 2 trick plays if I recall. Not that big a upset

Come on btm, knowledgeable in the know guy like you promotes stud ex prep coach who is DC or the like at coatesville, who confers with the great Infante himself and cant do better than that against a team they beat by 30 earlier in year. Outcoached by a mile, cantafio not that spectacular and 16 penalties reflects coaching. Prep wins another one....and would've smoked coatesville.

Reactions: btm2070
I agree Prep wins big; I think by 4 scores. Cover - did you watch the game? If so, how did Harrisburg slow down Ortega and Cville offense?

Come on btm, knowledgeable in the know guy like you promotes stud ex prep coach who is DC or the like at coatesville, who confers with the great Infante himself and cant do better than that against a team they beat by 30 earlier in year. Outcoached by a mile, cantafio not that spectacular and 16 penalties reflects coaching. Prep wins another one....and would've smoked coatesville.
Lol. You are calling him a stud! I stand by everything I said. Guy is a good coach, it has nothing to do with him coaching at SJP. I have not seen the film of Coatesville/Harrisburg game from today. Harrisburg has won every game since the opener. Sometimes kids get ahead of themselves. I'm sure Coatesville didnt play their best game nor coach it. With that being said give Harrisburg credit.

Hs, caught last half of game or so, did a nice job of rushing 3 on obvious pass situations to play coverage, still got pressure at times, played solid up the middle and were ready for ortega run/draw. Hburg obviously had athletes to match red raiders, especially jet sweep action. Didnt see A Young get ball all that much. From NP game, coatesville likes to just chuck it, send fly or post, no real passing concepts, just my athletes are better than yours. Harrisburg was ready for almost all of it.

Prep is so young at key positions, and will become even a more attractive destination for talented players in the next few years, if that is possible.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Based on what I saw from SJP today, Harrisburg must be a huge underdog going into this matchup correct?

Needed more designed runs for Aaron. Everything was zone read where Qb often waited too long to give or keep and by then H burg D was there as they controlled line of scrimmage. Same thing in pass game as Young would more or less sit out in flat and when Ortega finally went to him it was usually him and two or three defenders he had to beat.

Last edited:
C/M, why are you the way you are?? I wanted another shot at SJP, never said C-Ville would get past H-burg. I was hoping they would, did not happen, but all you do is keep trashing pub schools....why??? And buy the way Jackyboy, crow not good, but I will eat, see above!

Cover and Move, you don't see too good then. Harrisburg used their stud linebacker to spy Ortega. They rushed 4 all day, kept him in the pocket and when he decided to run, the Lb would Chase him down. Secondly, what do you mean Coatesville has no pass concepts? They have averaged 40 some odd points the last three years. Start going to some games or become friendly with some coaches. Tough to see pass routes or concepts when your watching on TV. Doesn't give you the entire picture.

Reactions: coverandmove1
Great season Coatesville and good luck to Harrisburg. I’m not shocked by the result as over confidence was a factor which I’m sure it was hard for the kids to get away from students, locals and even the local newspaper predicting a blowout. Let’s get behind the Prep!

Chesmont,
I think most of the time you are spot on with your thoughts and criticisms. However, unless you have spoken to coaches of the team or kids that played, how would you know Coatesville was over confident? I spoke to a couple of coaches during the week and they acknowledge how much better Harrisburg was compared to the first contest and was really concerned with Harrisburg Qb. Felt the kids prepared well and were ready to play. At some point maybe we should consider Harrisburg made more plays, had a better gameplan, executed better and deserved to win the game.

Chesmont,
I think most of the time you are spot on with your thoughts and criticisms. However, unless you have spoken to coaches of the team or kids that played, how would you know Coatesville was over confident? I spoke to a couple of coaches during the week and they acknowledge how much better Harrisburg was compared to the first contest and was really concerned with Harrisburg Qb. Felt the kids prepared well and were ready to play. At some point maybe we should consider Harrisburg made more plays, had a better gameplan, executed better and deserved to win the game.

Right IAdelco. Anyone who read a newspaper knew they were improved tremendously unless the SE PA is deceiving itself that no one else in the state can play football. Coach Ortega knows District 3 football well and would not allow this. He’s from Steelton.

I tried getting Everson’s skills and Harrisburg development across in the weekly write-ups. Being from D3, there's a line I try not to cross not wanting to appear as a homer. I'll try to be more convincing next time and risk that. It was an entirely different and confident team this time around, now led by an experienced Qb totally familiar with their system after transferring in.

Chesmont,
IA - How do you go from 37-6 to 27-24. Coatesville improves too but this loss was due to several factors. Over confidence, penalties and one team much better prepared to win. I knew a loss was possible but expected the Raiders to win. Hell.. they had a great season. Good luck coming to Harrisburg.

Ps. Wish Pete D from DLN would chose his articles more carefully before ganeday. The kids read this stuff too

Come on Chestmont, your sounding like a novice observer. Your better than that. The first game was played in August. Kane was starting his first game at Qb for Harrisburg. They didnt even play him in the scrimmage from what I recall. Coatesville knocked him out of the game by halftime. Penalties most defintely. Too many and at bad times pushed the Red Raiders back on offense and put them in long situations. Something you can not do against this Harrisburg defense. They are really fast and will pin their ears back and come get you. They had a great gameplan to contain Ortega and it appeared they were doubling or bracketing Bryant on some plays. Advantage Harrisburg! Defensively, Coatesville struggled in the second quarter to contain Kane. He got loose and made a couple of big plays to keep drives going. He made a perfect throw to beat Young barely on the first TD and then he made two Red Raider defenders miss to get into the endzone with 5 seconds left in the half. Lost the turnover battle 1-0. Coatesville had a huge opportunity to intercept a screen pass in the 3rd or 4th quarter down 21-17 and possible return it for a TD. However, went right through DE hands.

In hindsight, Coatesville probably played their worst game of the year collectively at the most inopportune time. However, Harrisburg was responsible for causing Coatesville to make these mistakes. They deserve credit. They were well prepared. Had two weeks to prepare actually. I attended the game. After th efirst quarter, score was 0-0. Coatesville had good field position but went backwards. Harrisburg hit on a long pass play and a long run in the second quarter to set up there first two scores. Kane made some plays because he runs a 4.3 something but other then that Coatesville defense held Harrisburg to under 100yds of total offense in the second half. Harrisburg has a defensive end that came into the game with 17 sacks, a qb going to Army and an LB who is a 5 star going to Texas A+M. Some of their lineman when the become seniors will eventually be D1 or 2 just based on size. Based on all this information, maybe the question should be how did Harrisburg end up losing by 31 points in the first game at home?

I can't comment on the game specifically because I didn't see it. I will comment on the absurdity of Harrisburg having a bye the week of state quarterfinals. Whether one thinks it's an advantage or disadvantage doesn't matter. Everyone should be playing that week. Next year D3 needs to do the right thing and have a bye week one of playoffs.

Punch in the gut for those Red Raiders, but congrats to the Cougars. We all lose out on the SJP-Cville rematch...

I can't comment on the game specifically because I didn't see it. I will comment on the absurdity of Harrisburg having a bye the week of state quarterfinals. Whether one thinks it's an advantage or disadvantage doesn't matter. Everyone should be playing that week. Next year D3 needs to do the right thing and have a bye week one of playoffs.
I think there's little doubt that at this point in the season it's a big advantage to have the bye that Harrisburg had--two weeks to plan and practice what they would do against Coatesville and time for some injuries to heal.

Reactions: MC1975
My son plays(ed) for Cville. He said that Harrisburg's DLine were simulating (grunting "hut" or "go") the snap counts and then shifting to cause the OLine to move. This was told to the officiating crew numerous times and they failed to do anything. They said they did or can't hear it. This happened on almost every snap. This contributed to the large majority of false starts from Coatesville.

Reactions: MC1975
I had heard the same thing about the false starts after the game. I mean obviously that is illegal. However, great ploy used by Harrisburg. If you get caught, you get a warning or a penalty. If not, Coatesville gets 50 yards in false start penalties.
Not privy to conversations had on the field between coaches and referees but 10 false start penalties for a team that made it to a semifinal game in states seems egregious. There is also some chatter on Central Pa social media circles about teachers complaining about academic eligibility of players. As far as Im concerned, its chatter. Not exactly sure why something like that would be put out there but it was. If someone knows more feel free to expand. I will not because it is hearsay to me. If true however, PIAA put in a quandry similar to soccer final. UGH!!

Come on Chestmont, your sounding like a novice observer. Your better than that. The first game was played in August. Kane was starting his first game at Qb for Harrisburg. They didnt even play him in the scrimmage from what I recall. Coatesville knocked him out of the game by halftime. Penalties most defintely. Too many and at bad times pushed the Red Raiders back on offense and put them in long situations. Something you can not do against this Harrisburg defense. They are really fast and will pin their ears back and come get you. They had a great gameplan to contain Ortega and it appeared they were doubling or bracketing Bryant on some plays. Advantage Harrisburg! Defensively, Coatesville struggled in the second quarter to contain Kane. He got loose and made a couple of big plays to keep drives going. He made a perfect throw to beat Young barely on the first TD and then he made two Red Raider defenders miss to get into the endzone with 5 seconds left in the half. Lost the turnover battle 1-0. Coatesville had a huge opportunity to intercept a screen pass in the 3rd or 4th quarter down 21-17 and possible return it for a TD. However, went right through DE hands.

In hindsight, Coatesville probably played their worst game of the year collectively at the most inopportune time. However, Harrisburg was responsible for causing Coatesville to make these mistakes. They deserve credit. They were well prepared. Had two weeks to prepare actually. I attended the game. After th efirst quarter, score was 0-0. Coatesville had good field position but went backwards. Harrisburg hit on a long pass play and a long run in the second quarter to set up there first two scores. Kane made some plays because he runs a 4.3 something but other then that Coatesville defense held Harrisburg to under 100yds of total offense in the second half. Harrisburg has a defensive end that came into the game with 17 sacks, a qb going to Army and an LB who is a 5 star going to Texas A+M. Some of their lineman when the become seniors will eventually be D1 or 2 just based on size. Based on all this information, maybe the question should be how did Harrisburg end up losing by 31 points in the first game at home?
IA - Cville lost anyway you slice and dice. If Harrisburg had all this top talent why the hell is the newspaper telling us the Raiders were gonna blow these guys out? A bye definitely helps and maybe the short end in penalties but a great team should have over come. Like I said .. great season by Cville! Let’s go Prep!

I read in Rick O'Brien in Phila. Inquirer article a few weeks ago Coatesville Offensive Coordinator Cantafio being a "Guru" That didn't look like a Guru performance by a well traveled former HC who never won a state championship, much less anything else. As Mike Pettine use to say, "stop reading your press clippings."

IA - Cville lost anyway you slice and dice. If Harrisburg had all this top talent why the hell is the newspaper telling us the Raiders were gonna blow these guys out? A bye definitely helps and maybe the short end in penalties but a great team should have over come. Like I said .. great season by Cville! Let’s go Prep!
CL1, those newspaper guys don't know didley and can't diagnose as good as some of the guys on this board. Scores, stats and history far better than journalists. Last place I go for opinions unless it's a coach!

CL1, those newspaper guys don't know didley and can't diagnose as good as some of the guys on this board. Scores, stats and history far better than journalists. Last place I go for opinions unless it's a coach!
Stalk - Agreed. Some of the posters are much more informative than some of our local guys.

If C'Ville had a chance to beat SJPrep, which I don't think they would have based on looking at the semi final games (if C'Ville came back to win), I think the sun has set for them and their fans thinking they can beat the Prep. SJP returns 8 starters next year on O and has some young guns waiting in the wings on both sides of the ball. They will be even better next year if they can replace some key pieces on D (Talley/Kim/Bougess) and backfill the stud seniors (Freeman/Mason/Cerruti) on O.

If C'Ville had a chance to beat SJPrep, which I don't think they would have based on looking at the semi final games (if C'Ville came back to win), I think the sun has set for them and their fans thinking they can beat the Prep. SJP returns 8 starters next year on O and has some young guns waiting in the wings on both sides of the ball. They will be even better next year if they can replace some key pieces on D (Talley/Kim/Bougess) and backfill the stud seniors (Freeman/Mason/Cerruti) on O.
Prep is loaded much more than any other team. Good luck to them and the Burg! Hope it’s a great game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT