ADVERTISEMENT

Great Games in SEPA

HSFballFan19

Jul 4, 2017
I can't remember the last time we had this many good games with such high stakes in SEPA. All of these District 1 6A games look great. Amazing storylines and intrigue considering these teams have all played each other recently. Add Prep-LaSalle into the mix also. That makes five big-time games in the 6A playoffs. Are there some clear favorites? Eh, maybe so. But, I think they will all be decided in the 4th quarter.

So, which one do you go to? Correct me if I'm wrong, but all these games are Friday at 7 pm. Couldn't we stagger these games? At least in District 1...Say, one Friday night, 12:00 Saturday, 3:30 Saturday, then 7:00 Saturday. These are all can't miss games!

That would be ideal and make great sense. But we are in District 1.......

I'm not sure.

It would make great sense for about 3% of the area that likes HS football regardless of school, but let's face it these games are mostly attended by the people who only care about the schools playing in the game. From that point of view, 7 o'clock on Friday night makes perfect sense.

I'm not sure.

It would make great sense for about 3% of the area that likes HS football regardless of school, but let's face it these games are mostly attended by the people who only care about the schools playing in the game. From that point of view, 7 o'clock on Friday night makes perfect sense.
Agreed. For instance, the maximum crowd you'd get for SJP-LaSalle is maybe six thousand--on a Friday night when the weather is great, when the start time is 7:30 or even 8:00 (given the distance many from each school, especially SJP, have to travel) and when there are no other major events going on at each school. So I'll be surprised if there are four thousand at NE on Friday night, and there could be only between two and three thousand.

Agreed. For instance, the maximum crowd you'd get for SJP-LaSalle is maybe six thousand--on a Friday night when the weather is great, when the start time is 7:30 or even 8:00 (given the distance many from each school, especially SJP, have to travel) and when there are no other major events going on at each school. So I'll be surprised if there are four thousand at NE on Friday night, and there could be only between two and three thousand.
Will Prep/LaSalle be live streamed Tulla ? Don't think I can get there Friay.

Will Prep/LaSalle be live streamed Tulla ? Don't think I can get there Friay.
I looked on the SFBN website: no sign the game will be streamed there. I'm going to try to get down. Maybe some snow up here late Thursday / early Friday and it looks like cold temps in Philly at game time.

Yeah will be around freezing throughout games, considering the big drop in temps this year from unseasonably warm through this past weekend, have to figure temps will have an impact to some teams....

Yeah, I see the other side. Sorry I was thinking very selfishly! I'd love to be able to see all of these games.

I looked on the SFBN website: no sign the game will be streamed there. I'm going to try to get down. Maybe some snow up here late Thursday / early Friday and it looks like cold temps in Philly at game time.

Audio broadcast on boblongsports.com. Too cold to be sitting in the friendly confines of Charlie Martin Stadium. Start a fire, a nice cup of cocoa (or something else) and just sit back and relax.

Audio broadcast on boblongsports.com. Too cold to be sitting in the friendly confines of Charlie Martin Stadium. Start a fire, a nice cup of cocoa (or something else) and just sit back and relax.
The cold won't bother me if I can drive down earlier on Friday. Maybe I'm peculiar, but I like watching games in the cold as long as there is no sleet.

You had a predication for the game three weeks ago, Paul. What are you expecting this time? I read that Solecki injured his knee last week. If he can't play or has very limited mobility, it'll make things harder for LaSalle--obviously. I'm expecting a very close game, decided by a touchdown or less. I'll go with the Prep.

The cold won't bother me if I can drive down earlier on Friday. Maybe I'm peculiar, but I like watching games in the cold as long as there is no sleet.

You had a predication for the game three weeks ago, Paul. What are you expecting this time? I read that Solecki injured his knee last week. If he can't play or has very limited mobility, it'll make things harder for LaSalle--obviously. I'm expecting a very close game, decided by a touchdown or less. I'll go with the Prep.

Honestly Tulla, I don't have a clue. And the reason is how severe was Solecki's injury? Enough to bring back Jones? They have seen each other and they are both coached well. Be interesting to see the adjustments both coaches make from the previous meeting. I think it will be low scoring, say both teams no more than the low twenties. "Stuff" happens in this rivalry. From the extra point in 2006 to the catch in 2015 (both La Salle wins. I had to take my shot) Just for argument sake, La Salle 24-21.

I can't remember the last time we had this many good games with such high stakes in SEPA. All of these District 1 6A games look great. Amazing storylines and intrigue considering these teams have all played each other recently. Add Prep-LaSalle into the mix also. That makes five big-time games in the 6A playoffs. Are there some clear favorites? Eh, maybe so. But, I think they will all be decided in the 4th quarter.

So, which one do you go to? Correct me if I'm wrong, but all these games are Friday at 7 pm. Couldn't we stagger these games? At least in District 1...Say, one Friday night, 12:00 Saturday, 3:30 Saturday, then 7:00 Saturday. These are all can't miss games!

All the games are great this weekend. As for the Friday at 7pm schedule, they have to do that this time of year so there can be no argument the next week of someone having an "extra day" to prepare (the team that won on Friday vs the team that won on Saturday). Tough for the fans but makes sense for the teams involved.

And I guess the elephant in the room is the dwindling popularity of football, for all the reasons we know. Florida has reduced numbers at playoff games and I imagine TX and CA do as well.

Big Ticket is great; it's a shame they don't continue throughout the playoffs.

Fletch, the Big Ticket is most definitely still going through the playoffs. It will air as usual Friday at 11. They will go until they have have enough games to cover. They may cut it 30 minutes in the next week or two.

6daystosaturday, good chance you will see all 4 D1 quarters featured this week.

Honestly Tulla, I don't have a clue. And the reason is how severe was Solecki's injury? Enough to bring back Jones? They have seen each other and they are both coached well. Be interesting to see the adjustments both coaches make from the previous meeting. I think it will be low scoring, say both teams no more than the low twenties. "Stuff" happens in this rivalry. From the extra point in 2006 to the catch in 2015 (both La Salle wins. I had to take my shot) Just for argument sake, La Salle 24-21.
Paul, I think you mean the extra point in 2012 rather than in 2006. In any case there has been a pattern since 2005 when the Prep won the league game by a wide margin and lost by a point in the Thanksgiving game. We know what happened in '06. The Prep won the regular season games in '09 and '12 and LaSalle won the championship games. As I recall, both Prep wins were close in '13. In '14 the pattern was broken with a runaway Prep win in the championship. In '15 and '16 the Prep won the regular season games very comfortably but LaSalle won the championship by a point in '15 and was in the championship game until nearly halfway into the fourth quarter last year.

One conclusion: it's hard to beat a fierce rival twice in the same year, and even when you win twice the second game is very likely to be close. But we're probably more aware of the history of the series, even fairly recent history, than today's players are.

Given that the forecast is not only for much colder weather but for pretty strong winds, I think there are likely to be at least a few turnovers. I think McCray's greater experience and his good judgment give the Prep the edge.

Paul, I think you mean the extra point in 2012 rather than in 2006. In any case there has been a pattern since 2005 when the Prep won the league game by a wide margin and lost by a point in the Thanksgiving game. We know what happened in '06. The Prep won the regular season games in '09 and '12 and LaSalle won the championship games. As I recall, both Prep wins were close in '13. In '14 the pattern was broken with a runaway Prep win in the championship. In '15 and '16 the Prep won the regular season games very comfortably but LaSalle won the championship by a point in '15 and was in the championship game until nearly halfway into the fourth quarter last year.

One conclusion: it's hard to beat a fierce rival twice in the same year, and even when you win twice the second game is very likely to be close. But we're probably more aware of the history of the series, even fairly recent history, than today's players are.

Given that the forecast is not only for much colder weather but for pretty strong winds, I think there are likely to be at least a few turnovers. I think McCray's greater experience and his good judgment give the Prep the edge.

I took my son to the '06 Thanksgiving day game at McCarthy Stadium at La Salle College. I was assured, by some people I thought were in the know, that the game would not go into overtime if it ended in a tie. So we left. Did you ever try to explain to a 12 year old you screwed up?

I took my son to the '06 Thanksgiving day game at McCarthy Stadium at La Salle College. I was assured, by some people I thought were in the know, that the game would not go into overtime if it ended in a tie. So we left. Did you ever try to explain to a 12 year old you screwed up?
Paul, a small correction. That Thanksgiving game was '05. The Prep went on to beat O'Hara for the Red Division Championship. In '06 the Prep beat LaSalle by four or five touchdowns in the regular season, but LaSalle won the freaky championship game at Northeast, the one where they returned a fumble 99 yards, had no net rushing yards, etc.

Fletch, the Big Ticket is most definitely still going through the playoffs. It will air as usual Friday at 11. They will go until they have have enough games to cover. They may cut it 30 minutes in the next week or two.

6daystosaturday, good chance you will see all 4 D1 quarters featured this week.

I'm pretty sure they don't go throughout the whole playoffs.

Paul, a small correction. That Thanksgiving game was '05. The Prep went on to beat O'Hara for the Red Division Championship. In '06 the Prep beat LaSalle by four or five touchdowns in the regular season, but LaSalle won the freaky championship game at Northeast, the one where they returned a fumble 99 yards, had no net rushing yards, etc.

All bets are off. I have it from a very reliable source that Solecki is out! Bring in Young! And with that, this game could go in a lot of directions. I'm taking the direction that since Brett Gordon will finally get to show off his full playbook, he's gonna surprise St. Joe with a lot of big plays to the tune of 28 to 31 points. La Salle's defense adjusts from the first game and holds firm. 31-17 La Salle!!

I agree with Paul, bring in Young, he was pre-season SE-PA MVP and the back up QB struggled vs Prep and Wood, the only games that mattered, Young should give them the options they need to beat Prep.

Ya I knew it was Jones I just didn't understand where the name Young came in

It will be interesting to see the game plan LS comes up with Jones back at the helm and cold, possibly windy conditions during the game. Jones doesn’t throw the ball as well or accurately (IMO) as Solecki does. No doubt he’s capable in that regard, but if they are looking for ball control, move the chain type deal, then he is better equipped for that type of game with his running ability. If he’s healthy enough. I’d like to see them use #4 Burnham asthe primRy back and from the spots that he was successful at last game and generally when given the ball in the second half of the season. Mix in some WR seeeps with Carter and Harrison. Easier said than done. SJP is hard to run against. LaSalle needs an A+ game from their talented DL, who are capable of such outings, too. They probably need to be +2 in the turnover column, as well. SJP’s defense and special teams has been excellent all year at setting-up their offense. Need to make the Hawks drive the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT