ADVERTISEMENT

Gordon resigns!!!

Simple explanation is Brett told Drew a few months ago, (like Drew told O'Brien) he was done to focus on young kids. John considered everything and after 33 years was done as well....Drew still unsure and thinking maybe he could make it work, decided he couldn't......Drew told admin when he resigned that Brett was not interested in Head coaching job...

That would be the simple explanation.......No matter what the reasons are, it feels a little unfinished, and they all were very, very good at what they did!

I, like many others, will miss them....

The coaches resignations were not done in unison for the purpose of conformity. There was serious strain amongst the group for some time. It's ironic that the LS faithful will quote their PCL superiority in athletics in almost every sport yet point to the administration that has supported such success as the reason why football now has its challenges? That's some unusual analytical and rhetorical analysis.

Spider,
That would be the "simple explanation" and probably the one that will be echoed by the powers to be.

Again, if decided he couldn't make it work, then perhaps the "right opportunity comes along" comment would suggest a future position that is unbridled.

As to the original declaration article by R.O., no further comment...

roxy,
Not at all. I've maintained there has not been a "change" in the LS hierarchy's support when it comes to their athletic programs. It's been the same mindset for years and will not change anytime soon. There has been a broad, constant level of support to all the athletic teams as well as the non-athletic endeavors. The successes that the teams have earned over the years has been a by-product of the student athlete's talent, dedication and the coaches who've guided them.

Football is the high profile sport, unfortunately it has not or is unable to keep pace with the generous philanthropy that has enriched your FB program at 17th & G. This obviously becomes a huge factor in open boundary, large tuition schools like Prep and LS in providing financial relief to such families.

Originally posted by Spider 2Y Banana:
The Prep is doing things never really done here in Philly before, the North NJ and D.C. model. Not sure LS or anyone else will ever follow suit...Nothing against what Prep has done, but different model and radius of bringing kids in..It is also a tough model to sustain long term if you are the only comparable school doing. Only so many spots and eventually all the promises you can't fulfill hurt you and families start looking for alternatives.

Wood is totally different than LS or Prep they basically have created a great monopoly in Central Bucks for great football and a much lower price and/or cost to support tuition. Think all Central Bucks horses and throw in some top skill players from Bensalem, Q-town, Levittown and look out AAA.....

But to everyone's point, the common denominator of all great programs is great coaching and admin support working together.....

No different in the Pub....

Spider, not trying to nitpik here, but who does Wood have from Levittown and Quakertown on the current roster? I realize Garlick was from Quakertown, but he's no longer there. Or, was your comment more about the general geographical range in which Wood operates?

LS got a new President and a new Principal in 2012; I think there still needs to be time for this to play out. Plenty of time for them to ruin multiple programs if they choose to.

No, I don't give them credit for what was already in place when they arrived.

I, as one of the La Salle faithful, believe that Gordon resigned because "the getting was good"!! He sees the writing on the wall It is my belief that the admin at La Salle will stand behind the football team as they always have, but as some have mentioned in earlier posts, St. Joe's admin just said "all in" when it came to football and took it to another level and La Salle is saying no thanks. So Roxy, as you mentioned all the athletic teams at La Salle, which athletic team should take the hit to upkeep the football team. That aint kosher to all the athletes that are playing lacrosse, rowing, swimming, basketball, hockey, etc, etc..

I also believe, as mentioned in a previous post, that St. Joe's will find itself head and shoulders above everyone to the point that there will be no one else to play against here in Pa. Hence, the dreaded words, "Travel Team". Now this is a question for the St. Joe faithful. Who is going to pay for the travel, the school or the parents? I guaran-galdern-tee if the parents have to pony up travel expenses to Chicago and Texas, and any other place they choose to play, it will be a short ride. It's high school football!!
This post was edited on 2/17 1:12 PM by paul from philly

Paul,

It's not as if the Prep sacrifices other programs for the sake of football. In fact, it may be there are more students in the crew program than the football program, and it's been one of the best high school programs in the country for many years--and an expensive one to run. The basketball team under Speedy, despite last week's loss, has been strong, sometimes very strong, for over a decade. And though I will grant you that LaSalle does better in lacrosse, soccer, swimming, baseball, and cross-country, the Prep usually has good teams in all those sports and occasionally wins a championship. And this year SJP owned LaSalle in golf!

As for football, there's still local competition. Maybe the Wood series can be resumed. I understand Malvern is keen to play at a higher level--not that they haven't had some very good teams in recent years. I expect Roman to get better. Maybe Judge will, and, who knows, O'Hara might be much stronger in two or three years. Also, you don't have to go to Texas and Chicago to find good "national" teams to play. As we know, there are at least a handful in Jersey, some in Maryland, and quite a few in Ohio. Finally, I'd like to see LaSalle not settle for mere respectability. The Prep-LaSalle rivalry has been a good one.

For the uninitiated like myself, what does "taking it to another level" entail when you're talking about the differences between SJP and LaSalle? I'm not naïve enough to believe that either school is just fields a team of whoever happens to walk through their doors, but what about Prep been doing to up the ante in such a way that a coach who won a state title throws up his hands and says "I'm done, I can't (or won't) compete anymore"?

If everybody seems to know what the deal is, why all the euphemism? I'm assuming Prep now has a pot of money the coaches can use to pay the tuition of incoming football players? And Gordon either doesn't have that or doesn't have as much money as Infante does now? And Infante has a more leeway in admissions when it comes to "academic risks" to attend an elite private school? Anything I'm missing? Affiliations with 7-on-7 programs in SEPA and South Jersey of either assistants or "friends of the program" that LaSalle doesn't have/won't do? If that's what "administrative support" is, why is everybody dancing around it?

Tulla, all your points are true. Prep fields very good teams in all sports and sometimes as you say they own La Salle, but the point is La Salle has how many state titles? How many does the Prep have? I think that shows La Salle's administration backs athletics pretty well across the board. Whether that's to some peoples liking or not, that's the way it is.
This post was edited on 2/17 5:27 PM by paul from philly

REMOVED BECAUSE IT UPSET JB!!!!!

Let's look at the reality of Gordon leaving!

Gordon (1)

INFANTE (2)

Gordon retires!

Enough said!!!!

Bring on the next greatest offensive mind in PA football!

Or will we hear about the gradual change of parents opinions towards football or maybe the demographics of the LaSalle student.

Or should we start counting the quidditch championships in place of PIAA AAAA football championships! That should help your total!

This post was edited on 2/19 2:57 PM by 2loudNclear

I wouldn't say for a second that the Prep and LaSalle were on different levels last year. The first game they played was quite even and they did about the same against common opponents. The championship game was another story. Was it one of those games where nearly everything went well for one team and bad for another? Looking ahead , however, the disparity seems likely to solidify and maybe to grow given the comparative strength of their freshmen and sophomore classes. And given the one big advantage the Prep will always have over LaSalle--its ability, because of its location, to attract students from all over the area--Gordon may have simply decided that he had had a good run but it was well and truly over.

2lNc,,
You need to stop with these 'War and Peace' length rhetoricals on Shurmur to LaSalle and Shurmur vs.Martin essays. Please don't wear yourself out brother, worried about you!

1. Montana and/or Brady as LaSalle's QB was not going to make a difference these 2 years. I think Kyle's abilities were able to keep a couple of the contests competitive.
Superior talent all over the field should beat less than superior talent when competent coaching is in place.

2. The story we heard is that Marty Mornhinweg was the influential speak in Pat Shurmur's ear regarding final decision. It was assumed because Marty had expressed dissatisfaction that Skyler was not the college prepared QB that he could/should have been. My personal feeling.....a lot of crap going on with the Brooks/Infante transition occurring midway though his matriculation coupled with Brooks' passing schemes that pre-date Rockne retarded his maturation.
This post was edited on 2/18 11:28 AM by yesman3

Yesman, the story that SJP fans would have you believe is not in the same galaxy as the story according to the Shurmur family. It's an issue best put to bed and all should wish Kyle the best at Vandy!

This post was edited on 2/18 1:38 PM by JBinPA

Let's see ... fact: visited SJP first ... fact: he was told there would be open competition ... fact: Herron wanted nothing to do with QB - now, could it be that the Shurmur family voiced different reasons to each, opposite side? Possibly.

JBinPAin - your self righteousness and ambiguity toward open dialogue are obvious to everyone on this board, including your faithful who have asked you to tone it down ... "we're still laughing at that one" (see what I did there)

Could it be LS was chosen when Chip Kelly told Pat that Brett was one of the best QB's he ever coached against when he was at New Hampshire and he would be a great teacher. Also, doesn't hurt that LS throws 25-30 times per game and Martin threw 18.4 and Clements threw 15.6 times per game....and swimming had nothing to do with it.....

Nobody has asked me to tone down a thing; nor would they. They all realize we're free to say what we want; great country we live in. I"m not the one making all the stupid "see what I did there" posts but you're free to continue although it really is old by now.

Go blow your hot air somewhere else. Thanks.

EDIT: since you brought it up, please post the names of people who "talked to me and asked me to tone it down". You will come up with some excuse but the fact is you can't post a single one. People who make things up just have zero credibility.
This post was edited on 2/18 5:11 PM by JBinPA

How come you know Martin threw 18.4 times per game and Clements threw 15.6 times per game but you become vague on the 25-30 times per game for Shurmur? The only stat I am 100% sure of is both Martin and Clements won ONE State Championship.

We still laugh at the fact that you guys laugh that Shurmur went to LaSalle to avoid Martin!

Can we get this back to Gordon?

27.9 in 2013 and 28.36 in 2014...

Was less specific because they threw 25-30 times a game for last 9 years...and even someone moving here from Cleveland could figure that would probably throw a lot...

DG was great, one of the best all-time, but next man up! Let's see what they got..

I know JV and frosh teams struggled against wood and prep last year...heard in coming class has a lot of potential if it sticks with DG gone...

Shurmur went to LS because he, and his Dad recognized being coached but the Gordon's, especially Brett, would prepare him, and actually give him a huge advantage when he arrived at a college program. This is not a knock on Gabe or SJP at all it is simply a compliment to Gordon's knowledge and experience in preparing QB's to play in college. Like them or not you no one can argue that the offensive system and principles they teach are more advanced than any other in the area and playing in that system for 2 yrs gives any QB a clear advantage when they have to compete in college with other great QB's. Again, I'm not attacking SJP and I am very aware of the scores the last 4 gms so no need to misinterpret what I am saying.

2lNc,
Probably not a good idea beating your chest over championships SJ team/s have won.

You're liable to get a LS supporter on here listing all the PCL/City/State championships won in just the last 10+ years by their athletic teams. The length of which would look like one of your Shurmur expose`s and undoubtedly would start page '3' on this topic/thread.

I have not the time nor the energy.

So, as you say, let's get this back to Gordon..
This post was edited on 2/19 7:36 AM by yesman3

Part of the make up of a good coach is being a salesman. You have to get the players to buy into the program and Gordon was topnotch at that. The new coach whoever he "or she" might be (just being politically correct) is gonna have to be a real good salesman. Gordon did it with mirrors sometimes. We've all agreed in the past that La Salle never had the D1 stud but they all bought into the program. Geez even their quarterback during their championship year, Loughery, didn't even get a nibble at the college level, but all he did was win.

"Can we get this back to Gordon?"

The entire thread was about Gordon until you interjected your post of biblical proportions about Shurmur and Martin.

#1 ... who other than you really cares at this point; both their senior seasons are completed.
#2 ... both young men are moving on and hopefully will find personal success in life and on the field

So, to get this "back to Gordon" we just need to delete your post, right?

Loughery and Martin were so similar to me. The ultimate poised field generals that led by example. Threw to the right players in the right places at the right time. Both superb at shaking off the infrequent miscue immediately.

Drew Gordon's replacement will have hands full. LS's returning strength will be all their returning lineman. Ferguson has all the physical attributes to be a fine QB but inexperienced, no plethora of skill people. Headon has State-class speed, route running and hands need to associate. Rinella is a special player, would love to clone that boy! May we see a LS team that emphasizes the running game?? Perhaps another sign that the Apocolypse is upon us..
This post was edited on 2/20 12:09 AM by yesman3

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT