ADVERTISEMENT

Gordon resigns!!!

IrishCB

Jul 4, 2012
Well the info I was given told me he would resign on Monday. They didn't say which Monday, just got word he just stepped down. Can anyone from LaSalle elaborate on why he did?

Gordon was a great high school QB...... a great college QB and a great high school head coach and offensive innovator. Best of luck to him.

CB,
I believe we elaborated last week on why this was percolating and his frustrations. I'm sure you will hear the PC version from Drew and the LS hierarchy over the next several days.
Best of luck to Drew in his future endeavors and many thanks on his years of service and commitment to our boys.

Brooks to LaSalle. There ya go, I said it!
Im kidding but I am sure those rumors will start up very soon..

For the right info, "Better Call Saul!!" Sorry I had to do it. I just finished watching Breaking Bad!!

Don't kid yourself, there were rumors that he was coming on to take over the defense since Steinmetz left. But that's all they were.....rumors.
This post was edited on 2/10 1:08 PM by paul from philly

Amen chuvalo. The school and league lost a fine coach and class act that will be difficult to replace. The way SJP's program has elevaated, I think this is a big, big hit to the PCL.

Neither Carey or Gil Brooks would ever agree
to work with the administration at LS especially once they realized they
had WAY more financial flexibility at Wood and the Prep. There are
countless players in the last 4 yrs that were headed to LS until they
chose not to provide the amount of "aid" that came through from Wood or
the Prep. The administration at LS doesn't value the football team and
they are not willing to invest in it in order to stay relevant.
Unfortunately, Gordon resigning at LS will mark the end of them being a
top tier HS program. My guess is rather than aggressively pursuing a
high profile coach (like Carey, Brooks or possible an existing LS
HOF'er!!!) they will take the very safe route by not going after anyone,
accepting the candidates that apply, and eventually going with someone
that will not rock the boat and is not that good of a coach. 6-4 will
lead to 5-5 and eventually 4-6.

Read Coach Gordon's brief comments via interview with Rick O'Brien.

PC as expected, total class!! Refused to throw anyone under the bus despite the LS-known undercurrent. Why else "if the RIGHT situation came along" sub-text.

Best of luck in your future endeavors Drew, enjoy those grandchildren!!

Yesman, you are correct, Coach Gordon is total class; however, please don't buy this story the Administration is putting out that Drew just wants to sit around with his grandchildren.

I'm sure Drew loves his grandkids but this really is not about them. Most of us know what is behind all this; we also know there was plenty of time for all parties to come to a compromise, a resolution that would benefit the student athletes of LaSalle..

Drew is nice enough to not burn bridges as he leaves LaSalle; he is leaving exactly how he coached with honor, dignity and class. One would not expect anything less.

On the other hand, his comment that he may be open to other opportunities lays the burden for this fiasco squarely at the feet of this administration. The next coach is guaranteed less support than Drew received so the administration has clearly chosen not to be competitive but to be mediocre. I would expect LaSalle to quickly return to the days of 2 -8 which many remember all too well. We will see then who stands up and takes credit for forcing Drew out of the picture. I doubt the line will be very long.

Many things have changed around Wyndmoor since the football program became successful; almost all athletic programs now compete at a state championship level where few ever did. Will we see deterioration in those programs as well? Time will tell.

This is not a story of a coach wanting to sit around and tell his grandchildren stories of his non stop scrambling at Bishop McDevitt; it is really a story of an administration choosing mediocrity over state championships which as an alum I am embarrassed they chose to do.

I wish the Gordons and all members of the coaching staff great success in life and on the field.

This post was edited on 2/15 6:23 PM by JBinPA

JB, I know this type of conversation is normally reserved for the other board, but it would be interesting to find out what is behind the administration's thinking. Are they big liberals? Most staunch liberals want to deemphasize football. One Council Rock administrator (Patty Sexton, in 2012) wrote a paper about potentially banning football, stating that "it is no longer appropriate for public institutions to fund gladiators." It is something that people need to be aware of; when you have a big liberal administration, football will generally be deemphasized. People who vote for these know-it-alls need to know in advance what they are voting for. Of course, there could be other reasons, but it would be good to find out.

Let's leave the "US Weekly/TMZ Comments" to another message board. This is a football site, not a site to attack people personally, especially when your facts are 100% incorrect. And hey Phillysportz, If you want to personally attack someone like that at least have the stones to sign your real name……

My guess is the players that said those things were the same ones whose parents complained about playing time and raised their kids with the type of entitlement philosophy that is crippling our youth. Every kid doesn't need a trophy and every kid isn't going to be a varsity football star. Go poll the best players from the past 20 years that played for Coach Gordon and I assure you that they will say he was hard nosed, required a tremendous amount of effort, preparation and commitment. He demanded his players bring a intensity and a relentless will to succeed. He told them if they sacrificed in the off season and in practice they would be rewarded as a team. Hmmmm, sounds like things that 16-18yr olds could take them with them and apply to every aspect of their lives outside of football. Sounds like he may have been preparing his players to win PCL titles (and a state title) and to develop skills to use once they left the bubble of LS.

FYI - The guy also NEVER took a dollar for all his years as a head coach. Not a penny.

philly, why not bring something other than innuendo and mudslinging to the board? Actually, if you want any credibility you'd prove your allegations.

You said you've heard these things from former players and people who know him so why not start with naming the former players? Or a few people who know him?

I've got no skin in this game, my thoughts on the administration are out there but you've put yourself in a position of put up or shut up. Which will it be?

JB-

Hard to believe LS admin is that hostile toward football program? Doesn't appear that they pulled support back from earlier years, they never gave the type of support Prep appears to be giving now or the desire to expand the radius from Easton to Mt Laurel. If Steinmetz was done after 33 years and Brett needed a break, some frustration with admin, and Prep support probably all played into it. However, it does sound like he was not 100% ready to go, which is the shame of it. Coaches like him do not grow on trees and to let him go is a big mistake.

Anyone on current staff, wanting to step up?

I apologize, JB, my post was completely inelegant. I don't know how you would expect me to "prove" something I merely heard, but these are things that I HAVE heard from former players. And, yes, I know not everyone is always happy with a coach, but to fabricate that because of a lack of playing time? That's why I entertained the idea. Honestly, has no one else ever heard anything about that? If that's so I'll gladly take the shut-up option.

oh, and murphy, entitlement crippling our youth? Let me guess, Obama isnt YOUR president, right? That's such a tired narrative. The "youth" you speak of is changing the world for the better. Just retire and go guard your lawn already.
This post was edited on 2/15 10:38 PM by phillysportz

As an interested outsider, I'm wondering if the "Gordon era" just didn't come to a natural end.

I was surprised at the PCL championship game this year not that the Prep won but that LaSalle didn't seem to playing with much intensity. I was expecting a close game, but the two teams just seemed to be going in different directions. I know superior speed (Prep's) can make it look like the other team is not making much effort, but LaSalle didn't seem so well-prepared and wasn't very good in the fundamentals. And maybe Shurmur's talent somewhat masked a real decline in the last two years. Would LaSalle have had a winning record this year without Shurmur? I can't see them beating Wood, DeMatha, or McDonogh for sure.

Maybe I'm making too much of a single game, but the overall SJP-LaSalle trajectory is pretty clear. SJP was really strong in the first six years of the last decade when LaSalle was pretty weak. SJP weakened some in Brooks' last years and LaSalle was on the rise, taking over from SJP as the top team in the last part of the decade. SJP then had a couple of major down years in the difficult aftermath of the Brooks departure and LaSalle was unchallenged. Then in '12 LaSalle wins the championship by a point, and since then it's been the Prep winning four straight games and appearing to have the stronger program for the next few years, though of course nothing is a sure thing.

Gordon did a great job with the talent he had. And I agree that both in terms of game preparation and adjustments during games, the LaSalle staff was excellent. But they need everything to be aligned just right to compete successfully against a Prep program that's now going full-speed ahead and against other prominent and ambitious programs. That means travel, it means getting your hat handed to you some times, and it means going mano a mano for players. Maybe Gordon would really rather spend times with his grandchildren. Sounds OK to me.

You keep reiterating your unsubstantiated attacks were merely heard from former players; well, I'm merely asking that you substantiate your attacks by telling us the players names. If you can't, or don't, one can only assume you're doing what many do on the net, posting inaccurate stories they usually have made up. Perhaps you have an axe to grind; I wouldn't know.

I'd suggest in the future, if you can't prove an allegation that you merely don't post it. That's what most intelligent adults do.

Agree, too much hearsay, sour grapes, hindsight opinions in youth/HS sports and politics to spread it without substantiating or putting your name to it.

Right, because the only intelligent adult thing to do would be to double down on my classless comments and throw some names out there. I think another intelligent adult thing to do would be not to take the bait and simply retract my ignorant comments. While i respect Drew Gordon as a coach, the real loss here is Brett Gordon. Even with Drew and Steinmetz leaving, Lasalle couldve continued on and perhaps even improved with Brett manning the ship. Best offensive mind the PCL has ever seen

Exactly.....If Schurmur wasn't a swimmer and heard good things about Gordon's scheme he would have been at prep....

LaSalle to me isn't the variable that has changed here, it is Prep. Credit to them attracting, investing in, getting, and coaching top talent.

The key will be if LaSalle gets the right coach...Maybe the most critical decision the program has faced with no succession plan in place..

An administration doesn't have to be "hostile" to make doing the job more difficult than it needs to be. If the administration is not going to step up and provide the support needed to compete they are making the job more difficult. John and Brett knew what was coming so their resignations were not unexpected; Brett has said on numerous occasions that when Drew goes, Brett goes. In light of what has transpired, almost all LS supporters would love for Brett to step up but it just won't happen IMO.

I doubt you'll see anyone from the current staff offered the position but that's just one opinion.

The presence of Chris Martin and the staff's loyalty to him as well. The spot wasn't open at the prep like it was at lasalle

Not sure I buy that, Martin did a great job, heart of a lion...But not sure anyone including prep staff would not take D1 SEC recruit over JHU hard worker....Or at least have a open competition...

Chris Martin was their quarterback. Kyle would've had to beat him for the job, and if their head-to-head match up was an indicator I don't know if he would've won it. Is he the better D1 prospect? That's a joke of a question, of course. But Chris Martin went on a state playoff run with a torn ACL, the Prep wasn't handing that job to anyone else. SEC or no SEC

Did I just read Martin would have won the starting job over Shurmur? I am literally speechless. I guess Meachum would have won the job over Swift then too? BTW - Martin and Meachum are gutsy kids and very good football players but comparing them to Schurmur and Swift is silly.

Here is a very simple example of the administration at LS not being committed to Football:

After
Drew resigned they didn't even reach out to Brett to gauge his possible
interest in the job. The first thing the AD should have
done was to personally call Brett and ask/beg him to consider replacing
his Dad. Then the AD, the Principal and the President should have put a
creative package together. (similar to the one Gabe or Speedy has or the one Malvern offered him last year!!!)

I am quite certain, he would not have accepted
it but if you say you are committed to the football program and you have
a Hall of Famer and the brightest football mind around you are
obligated to reach out and force him to say no. You are obligated to talk to him about what type of things he would need to see change in order to take the job. That shows they are at least making an effort to get the best person. Even if he said no they would have gained some insight from a qualified source as to how the program could be improved. Instead they will follow the standard process of sitting back and waiting for applicants to grace them with their interest. That leads me to the real problem at LS, and the LS
English teachers will appreciate this. LS is guilty of Hubris -
excessive pride/superior self confidence. The administration at LS
thinks the school and the community is better than any one person or
coach. They do not feel they need to do anything other than sit back and simply be LS. They honestly believe they do not need either Gordon and wouldn't
think of trying to encourage a coach or god forbid player that would help the school and the
football program. They are running the school and the athletic program
as if it were the 1980's. In fact, a few key people making the
decisions were around in the 80's.

I recognize the idea of Brett replacing his dad, especially under the circumstances, would never happen but the school needed to at least explore the conversation and be 100% sure it was not an option. They failed to do that. I guess none of us should be surprised......

I think Brett was ready to move on before his Dad, but you are right make him say no. Your plan is very sound. So, if no Brooks, Schmidt, anyone else from staff Dean? Who is on short list?

"The next hire"?
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Bringing in Belichick , Bryant, Lombardi, Stagg, Rockne, Walsh, Paterno and Saban on the sideline will not make a difference with the current posture in tow if winning FB championships is your primary interest.

What SJP has proven the last couple years and Wood for the last several is that attracting and funding superior talent coupled with hard dedicated work and competent coaching trumps any advantage the later may hold.

FYI: BG is not an option, statement his resignation was tendered along with Drew. See LS website for official statement.

...RIP to applicable greats above

This post was edited on 2/16 9:27 AM by yesman3

This post was edited on 2/16 11:18 AM by yesman3

The Prep is doing things never really done here in Philly before, the North NJ and D.C. model. Not sure LS or anyone else will ever follow suit...Nothing against what Prep has done, but different model and radius of bringing kids in..It is also a tough model to sustain long term if you are the only comparable school doing. Only so many spots and eventually all the promises you can't fulfill hurt you and families start looking for alternatives.

Wood is totally different than LS or Prep they basically have created a great monopoly in Central Bucks for great football and a much lower price and/or cost to support tuition. Think all Central Bucks horses and throw in some top skill players from Bensalem, Q-town, Levittown and look out AAA.....

But to everyone's point, the common denominator of all great programs is great coaching and admin support working together.....

No different in the Pub....

I don't know why you're speechless, murphman. Infante never would've abandoned someone going into their senior year and second season as starter for a big-name transfer. I don't think gordon would've done that either. He would've ended up at like penn charter if Lasalle had a returning starter. That's just not how you treat kids

And yea, I was under the impression that Brett leaving was a major factor in Drew stepping down.
This post was edited on 2/16 10:39 AM by phillysportz

Philly, it's just clear that you don't know the LS program that well; Brett will not be replacing his father. John and Brett left because they knew what was going down with Drew. They were not independent decisions.

I do agree with your comment about the best offensive mind the PCL has ever seen.

I know he won't be replacing his father. Im curious with spider as well.
Was the Drew decision made behind closed doors and then Brett and Steinmetz made theirs public before Drew? I had heard something about Brett and a commitment at work

Steinmetz resigned a week or so before Drew and did it very publicly. Interesting move from a D coordinator to resign before the head coach. Maybe there was a communication problem there but it is fairly non standard to have a coordinator resign prior to a head coach. I'd love to get the story on that, I'm guessing there is more to it??

Drew then resigned and Brett said he was not coming back a day or so after Drew stepped down.

The administration spoke to Steinmetz and Drew at the times of their resignation and from what I've been told no one from LS has spoken to or reached out to Brett.

See my earlier post for my thoughts on this.

Murph,
You won't get the story, John keeping things very private. As you know, he's an accomplished, sincere, loyal man and I applaud his dignity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT