ADVERTISEMENT

Glen Mills drops football

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
Just read due to declining enrollment from abuse allegations and legal troubles they are dropping football. Wouldn’t surprise me if this puts the school under. Does the DelVal stay at 5 schools or will they get merged into another league? Another lobby here to rollout the Chesmont carpet out and welcome them in! Chesmont could use another 6A football school and hell.. some strong basketball schools. Thoughts?

Reactions: D1sideline
Just read due to declining enrollment from abuse allegations and legal troubles they are dropping football. Wouldn’t surprise me if this puts the school under. Does the DelVal stay at 5 schools or will they get merged into another league? Another lobby here to rollout the Chesmont carpet out and welcome them in! Chesmont could use another 6A football school and hell.. some strong basketball schools. Thoughts?
Where the hell was oversight? I hope they hang some of these SOBs.

**** Del-Val: Most of the schools r right down the Blvd from Ridley. I mean, right down the road. Why go to Chester County when they're a few blocks away from some of the CL schools. Chester, Acad Pk, PWood, Interboro are a short drive from Ridley, Haven and a few others, a lot shorter than Chesco? Guess they don't want them in?

Last edited:

I am not surprised to hear that they might go under..... I worked at the facility back in the day and it was a sh*t show to say the least. Always had superior athletes, a lot to choose from, sent via judge and paid by their county, city or state, tax $$ at work. There were kids from CA, AZ, CO,NY,PA, NJ, etc , you name it.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
I am not surprised to hear that they might go under..... I worked at the facility back in the day and it was a sh*t show to say the least. Always had superior athletes, a lot to choose from, sent via judge and paid by their county, city or state, tax $$ at work. There were kids from CA, AZ, CO,NY,PA, NJ, etc , you name it.
Had some GREAT teams too, hanging with Berwick when Dawgs really were good and Moeller in 80s

Glen Mills in 1999 may have had the the best team that no one remembers and would have threatened CBW IMO. The Bulls only lost one game, 31-30 to Ohio power and state champ St Ignatius. They also beat returning state champ Allentown Central Catholic and Beca, who faced CBW in the state semis.

That one point loss to Iggy kept them out of the playoffs. Back then only four teams qualified. Too bad because a GM-CBW District One playoff game would have added more intrigue to the already great documentary, "The Last Game".

Glen Mills in 1999 may have had the the best team that no one remembers and would have threatened CBW IMO. The Bulls only lost one game, 31-30 to Ohio power and state champ St Ignatius. They also beat returning state champ Allentown Central Catholic and Beca, who faced CBW in the state semis.

That one point loss to Iggy kept them out of the playoffs. Back then only four teams qualified. Too bad because a GM-CBW District One playoff game would have added more intrigue to the already great documentary, "The Last Game".
Thanks Relayer for the correction. I told my 3rd wife....or is it the 4th?....if this keeps up I'm going to start drinking again.

Del Val currently only has one 6A school- Chester - and they teeter at the low end of the enrollment cut off. So if the Chestmont or Central absorbs them, you would be adding 3 5A schools and one 4A school to already 5A dominant leagues. It does nothing for the 6A schools

Also , per Central League rules , each school must field a team in every sport m regardless of the quality of team. Most Del Val schools do not have swimming , lacrosse , tennis ,etc. so they woukd not be admitted.

They could go with a tri-county league, move SV and the del Val schools into one divison, the current bigger schools in another and the remaining 5A's in the third and play some cross-overs to limit travel

Reactions: C-Pride
I Can't see how the scool surrvives, even if they weather the storm, rebuilding is gonna take years. I'm sure developers are lining up as the story unfolds! More bodies for GV! Lol unless George Hill has plans.

I hear Temple is looking at the property to have a branch campus , similar to its Ambler campus. Also , part of that area of Glen Mills is Rustin area.

I Can't see how the scool surrvives, even if they weather the storm, rebuilding is gonna take years. I'm sure developers are lining up as the story unfolds! More bodies for GV! Lol unless George Hill has plans.

Correct-Glen Mills campus is in Thornbury Twp. That area is Rustin.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most, if not all the students at the Mill didn't reside in Thornburt Twp.
Soup 13 nailed it, as kids from everywhere were sent to there for correctional purposes.
What value does that provide Rustin? Am I missing somethin?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most, if not all the students at the Mill didn't reside in Thornburt Twp.
Soup 13 nailed it, as kids from everywhere were sent to there for correctional purposes.

GM Staff's kids go to Rustin. If they ever develop all of that property, Rustin would benefit from all of the new homes/students if that ever happens.

Pete DiG from the DLN reported Chesmont and DelVal are meeting to discuss a football scheduling agreement (not merger). I think Pete reported before and never heard anything. Glad Chesmont is stepping up as it benefits both. What gets me is the Central w some of wealthiest liberal areas Lower Merion, Haverford, Radnor and Strath Haven are so vocal about helping these poorer communities (sorry but much of the DelVal is) but when it comes their kids playing them they are no where to be found? Curious to hear from our Haven guy and Speed? The must field a team is every sport seems like a preemptive strike to pick and choose who they don’t want in. Just this dudes read. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Pete DiG from the DLN reported Chesmont and DelVal are meeting to discuss a football scheduling agreement (not merger). I think Pete reported before and never heard anything. Glad Chesmont is stepping up as it benefits both. What gets me is the Central w some of wealthiest liberal areas Lower Merion, Haverford, Radnor and Strath Haven are so vocal about helping these poorer communities (sorry but much of the DelVal is) but when it comes their kids playing them they are no where to be found? Curious to hear from our Haven guy and Speed? The must field a team is every sport seems like a preemptive strike to pick and choose who they don’t want in. Just this dudes read. Thoughts?
My same thought/concern Ches on having to play all sports.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
I don't think you're missing anything myboyblue62. It's a court adjudicated school.

It values Rustin in terms of the land that Glen Mills has if it is sold and can be developed then Rustin sees a significant increase in enrollment. I’m pretty sure that was the meaning of the post.

Cheers,

Busch

GM Staff's kids go to Rustin. If they ever develop all of that property, Rustin would benefit from all of the new homes/students if that ever happens.
Never realiz
How about that, not to bring politics into it but you raise one hell of a point!

I know much talk is about what happens if they develop Glen Mills land but West Chester School District is already seeing an enrollment increase (Same w Downingtown) and they are building a new elementary but this will add another 100 kids per grade meaning 30 or so more per grade in each high school by 2022 and beyond.

The Central League doesn't want the Del Val schools. Even though it makes sense just to make an all Delco league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT