ADVERTISEMENT

Florida DC Geoff Collins will be new head football coach of Temple Univ

green_beans

Sep 9, 2015
This could be a big win for Temple.. bringing in a coach from a big time program with an SEC background

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) —
Florida defensive coordinator Geoff Collins will be named the new head football coach of Temple University, according to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy.

Collins was previously the defensive coordinator at Mississippi State (2011-2014) under former Gators offensive coordinator Dan Mullen before joining Florida’s staff in 2015. Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox played for Collins at Mississippi State.

Under Collins, Florida ranked sixth in the FBS in total yards allowed (298.3) and eighth nationally in total yards in 2015 (310.2).

Collins has 22 years of coaching experience. Prior to his time at Mississippi State, Collins was the linebackers coach at Fordham (1996), defensive coordinator at Albright College (1997-98), graduate assistant at Georgia Tech (1999-2001), director of player personnel at Alabama (2007), linebackers/recruiting coordinator at UCF (2008-09), and defensive coordinator/linebackers at Florida International (2010).

Really? I thought for sure they were going to hire a High School head coach who is playing down in competition.

I would love to know who else they interviewed? Looks like this guy spent the last 16 years or so down South. Recruiting in the South and recruiting to go to Temple are two different animals. I hope this guy can either keep some of Rhule's staff or has good connections up here or this could be a disaster.

Reactions: lilromeo
My son is friends with a couple of the OL.. from what he heard.. Rhule took most of the key D staff with him.. so bringing in A DC makes sense, plus if he can get some of his staff to make the move to North Philly it's icing on the cake. Rhule built a lot of his foundation with tri-state kids (actually Philly and NJ to start) and started to branch out.. I think Collins will have a couple of big challenges the next couple of months..first he has to convince the kids that have verbaled to stay and keep any transfers to a min.. it would be nice to see if he can get some of the southern talent to play up north.. but also he'll have to find someone with strong local ties/connections to join the staff and spearhead the local/northeast recruiting efforts. Having an SEC pedigree is a good selling point.. but I agree recruiting in the northeast is going to be different..

The other issue (or elephant in the room) is Temple has to step up and find a way to keep the coaches happy so they stay and not view temple as just a stepping stone.. not sure if it's more money, better facilities a new stadium etc. The program will never generate the big 10 or SEC revenues.. but if he can build a strong program.. he should be rewarded for his efforts

Reactions: lilromeo
I would love to know who else they interviewed? Looks like this guy spent the last 16 years or so down South. Recruiting in the South and recruiting to go to Temple are two different animals. I hope this guy can either keep some of Rhule's staff or has good connections up here or this could be a disaster.

Delco.. I was looking on Temples recruiting page.. it looks like the had interest in John DeFilippo as a possibility.. but it didn't give much

there is also a good write up about an issue with AAC coaches using the AAC as a stepping stone.. "Of the four biggest jobs on the college football market this offseason (LSU, Texas, Oregon and Baylor), three were filled by AAC coaches under 42 years old. Others like Morris, Montgomery and Frost were linked to those openings and others during the still ongoing coaching carousel".

info.. http://temple.247sports.com/Article...nference-the-coaching-carousel-is-ex-49681404

Temple should be happy that young, up-and-coming coaches from the SEC are looking at it as a stepping stone. That's much better than when there was talk of dropping the program altogether. Collins will be fine recruiting the tri-state-he comes from Florida where he had to out recruit every premier coach and school in the country to get players. Temple has done a good job finding a good coach. The biggest hire he makes will be his OC to complement his D.

Listening to to Collins' press conference right now, as a Temple Alum I absolutely love the hire. He's going to bring in the passion and toughness that Rhule established on North Broad, I think he's going to recruit well here and keep as much of the local talent here as possible. I'm interested in seeing who he brings in as OC, Temple has a deep crop of RB talent and Im interested to see how he uses them, future still bright on North Broad!!

Jedd Fisch, Michigan QB/WR/PGC and new UCLA OC (NJ native)
Mike Bloomgren, Stanford OC
Mario Cristobal, Alabama OL and new Oregon Co-OC/OL

Temple should be happy that young, up-and-coming coaches from the SEC are looking at it as a stepping stone. That's much better than when there was talk of dropping the program altogether. Collins will be fine recruiting the tri-state-he comes from Florida where he had to out recruit every premier coach and school in the country to get players. Temple has done a good job finding a good coach. The biggest hire he makes will be his OC to complement his D.
Same page as you not_a_fan. It is a HUGE statement that Temple is on the map for a DC to leave a SEC school. Pretty significant and a tribute to all who advanced the program to this level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT