ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL: 'Skins 42 - Whippets 14

PA2CAMoleskinner

Sep 18, 2007
On the fourth play of the first series in the game Mason Jones hit junior Mike Garlick for a 74 yard score and the first 'Skins TD of the night. Then not long after they stitched together a nice drive for the second touchdown with Will Dogba taking it in.

Still in the first, D-Town's Riddick looked good on a nice drive for his team to make it 14-7 with 2:00 left in that period (a lot of action in the initial 10 minutes). And Neshaminy looked like they relaxed on that drive perhaps thinking the game would be an easy one (don't do that).

The early pace then slowed down quite a bit over the next 8 minutes or so before Jones hit sophomore Corey Joyce for a 50 plus yarder to make it 21-7 with 6:55 left on the 2nd quarter clock.

The Whippets then responded with a very, very nice 13 play 80 yard drive and scored with less than a minute left in the second quarter. Neshaminy was letting them make too many nice gains with their ground game (misdirection stuff). With that score it was 21-14 for Neshaminy at the half.

In the third quarter Jones hit Zach Tredway for another TD pass with 5:44 on the clock (that score closed out a beautiful 95 yard drive by the Redskins to make it 28-14). And at that point in the game Jones had hit for three aerial TDs even though he had missed on a fair amount of throws (the 'Skins receivers had probably dropped three that were easy catches so they weren't helping). It does appear that Jones either nails it or misses it. As to Dogba, he was also chewing up some nice yards to that time in the game (he just chugs and chugs).

Moving into the fourth Neshaminy then put together another long drive that stalled out in close but they soon got the ball back and then scored after a shorter drive to make it 35-14. Dogba was dinged on that series and went to the bench (he must have had 150 yards, at least, by then) and the back up RB, junior Mike Crescenzo, did the honors on that score.

A little later, following a picked D-Town pass and a short field for Neshaminy, the 'Skins punched in another ground score to make it 42-14. And once again the back up RB - Crescenzo - did a really great job filling in for Dogba (he's got very quick acceleration).

Then that's the way the game ended.

It seemed a little like the game was in slow motion but still Neshaminy must have piled up a lot of yards (probably in that 425 to 450 range). And just like the first two games that they have played it seemed that the other team just sort of faded away in the second half (while the 'Skins just kept on their same game). Plus their game is misleading too as they "do things" that are pretty nice but it just of looks like it's rolling along mechanically - just happening as if it's supposed to be that way (if that makes sense).

Anyway, good game for them (and they are 3-0 so no complaints).

Go 'Skins!

Last edited:
The Neshaminy returner took the opening kickoff back all the way for the first 'Skins TD. Not long after they stitched together a nice drive for the second (Jones tossed a TD pass on that one).

Then Riddick looked good on a nice drive to make it 14-7 with 2:00 on the first session clock (a lot of action in that first period). Neshaminy looked like they relaxed on that drive perhaps thinking the game would be easy.

The pace then slowed down quite a bit over the next 8 minutes or so before Jones hit Joyce for a 50 plus yarder to make it 21-7 with 6:55 left on the 2nd quarter clock.

The Whippets then responded with a very nice 13 play 80 yard drive and scored with less than a minute left in the second quarter. Neshaminy was letting them mak too many nice gains with their ground game (misdirection stuff) and it was 21-14 Neshaminy at the half.

In the third quarter Jones hit Tredway for another TD pass with 5:44 on the clock which closed out a beautiful 95 yard drive by the Redskins to make it 28-14. And Jones had hit for two TDs at that point but has missed a boatload it seemed ('Skins receivers had probably dropped three that were easy catches). Still, Jones either nails it or misses it (as it seems). Dogba was also chewing up some nice yards to that time in the game (he just chugs and chugs).

Getting into the fourth Neshaminy then put together another long drive that stalled, got the ball back and then scored on a shorter drive to make it 35-14. Dogba was dinged on that series and went to the bench (he must have had 150 yards, at least, by then). The back up RB ran the score in.

Following a picked D-Town pass, and a short field for Neshaminy, they punched in another one on the ground to make it 42-14. Once again the 'Skins' back up RB - junior Mike Crescenzo - did a great job filling for Dogba (and he scored that one too with both on the ground).

That's the way the game ended.

It seemed a little like the game was in slow motion but still Neshaminy must have piled up a lot of yards. And just like the first two games they played it seemed that the other team just sort of faded away in the second half while the 'Skins just kept on their same game. Their game is misleading too as they do things but it just sort of rolls along almost mechanically - just happening (if that makes sense).

Anyway, good game for them and they are 3-0 so no complaints.

Go 'Skins!
Mole,

I live in the North Penn area so I only saw Neshaminy one time last year, against NP. The player I was really impressed with was Tredway. Big kid who covered a ton of ground at safety, very competitive and a hitter. Only saw him that one game but impressed with his game and potential.
Any idea on college plans?

Thanks

I just got back from the game. Moleskinner got it right as usual. I was sitting with Dan Dogba, Wil's brother and former LB/DE/FB. Will got popped with a helmet to the chin. Dan checked and said he was alright, but was done for the night. Neshaminy's trainer is rightly cautious with blows to the head.
JHoops, Tredway is getting looks from Rhode Island, Towson, Delaware and Villanova as well as every D2 school around. His Mom told me that the offer sheets will roll in after he has three weeks of senior film, and last week short circuited it. Dogba was contacted by Yale and another Ivy, I forget which before the season. He is a very good student and good kid. He is also thinking about attending Bentley University in Mass. good academics and D2 football.
The Redskins look like the real deal. i think tonight answered any lingering questions about them.

Tackling has to be better; lots of head down whiffs, arm tackles, and tackling forward.

The Perk Valley-Pennridge score is downright scary.

IronMarshal and Fletchster -

It's odd that in a 42-14 win you feel like Neshaminy could have done more/should have done more. Still, they did keep West to 14 (when they had averaged 35 or something in the first two games). But the Whippets do give up a bunch so the 42 was about average.

Then it did seem that Neshaminy missed some tackles and/or got caught flatfooted in the first half (and at 21-14 at the half it was still a game). I think the Wing-T traps/misdirection got them a bit in the first 24 minutes.

However, even at 28-14 it still seemed kinda tight (I wish they had gone for a field goal late in the third/early fourth at the 5 yard line or so -- which could have made it 31-14 -- instead of that soft lob to the right corner to Tredway -- which was close but no cigar).

What is impressive, though, is that they have Tredway, Garlick, Manzyk and Joyce running around and making grabs (and Dogba on the screen is nice). Watching those guys run their routes it is really tough for the DBs to keep them under wraps over the course of the game.

And when they bust it loose they do it (Tredway's TDs tonight were 74, 54 and 32 yards). They don't get rattled either and even if they get bunched up they play their game and "boom" they score. NOTE: After three games Jones has nearly 850 yards passing with 8 TDs and one pick on that bounced/tipped pass against Pennridge. The only knock is his completion percentage is probably around 45%.

Dogba has 410 yards in three games on just under 70 carries so he's averaging about 6 a carry. And I think he might have about ten catches for probably 100 or so (mostly the screen)

Line play on offense is looking good. D line is coming along but needs some polishing.

Having seen Pennsbury now and Neshaminy the Skins go undefeated this season. The league will not challenge them. As long as Jones stays healthy they are in for a nice year. I actually see the backup QB, a freshman, getting a lot of snaps this year.

Having seen Pennsbury now and Neshaminy the Skins go undefeated this season. The league will not challenge them. As long as Jones stays healthy they are in for a nice year. I actually see the backup QB, a freshman, getting a lot of snaps this year.
It looks very much like North Penn and Neshaminy will be undefeated heading into district play. Perk Valley looks like the biggest wildcard and could also be undefeated heading in.

Neshaminy may be undefeated at the end of the season but they'll probably go into the playoffs untested/no marquee wins. The Skins are pretty good but they sqweaked by Pennridge by 7 who got demolished last night by Perk Valley then beat a DWest team who has given up 118 points in 3 games (that's almost 40 points per game) which even a decent team wouldn't allow. Maybe Pennsbury will really test them based on a rivalry and for season pride. Good luck to Skins and they methodically got things done last night on offense piling up yards.

Chesmont -

Good point on the season. Still, I think Roman, Pennridge and D-Town too are each solid clubs (despite the Whippets having a tough go of it so far). And then West's first two cliffhanger games might have created a bit of a hangover for them and you wonder if maybe in the second half (against Neshaminy) that it was a bit of a cloud on them (and when Tredway grabbed that one score mid-way in the third, to make it 28-14, it might have begun to wear on them).

Then Pennridge did seem to get clobbered by Perk Valley. So either Perk Valley is really good or Pennridge was smarting from the week before against the 'Skins. And Roman rebounded against West Catholic last week (so we're watching for sure) while playing D-Town East tonight should provide a good measuring stick.

You are right, though, about the SOL National looking down this year so that right now a 3-0 CB South is looking like the best of the remaining games (that's a non-league game in week 7). So it would seem that they have an opportunity to win out but going into week four that's the kind of talk that usually leads to a loss for a high school team (like the kids with visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads). But assuming they do you hope that they don't then hit the playoffs thinking they're world-beaters because of a softer schedule.

In any event, it's very early in the year and I'd hope that the 'Skins are just looking at next Friday's game -- period. There's plenty of time and many years for them to look back at the exploits of youth (I should know).

First, Perk Valley IS that good. Second, The D1 playoffs are all about match ups anyway. some teams present multiple match up problems. Others are one dimensional. Some have great team Defense. Others don't. Some run. Some spread. Some read option. Some wing T. Some are balanced run and pass. Some play a 4-3. Others 5-2. Others 3-3 stack. Point is, it is way too early to o predict anything... That is the beauty of D1 6A playoffs. 16 teams. Last man standing wins... A thing of beauty and some great Friday nights in November!!! Gotta love it....

Reactions: IronMarshal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT