ADVERTISEMENT

Final: Neshaminy 56 - Truman 7

PA2CAMoleskinner

Sep 18, 2007
Don't let the score fool you -- Truman has a good team. It was one of those games where everything the 'Skins did worked and the Tigers had a hard time stringing a consistent performance together.

And what looked more like a "Flexbone" as opposed to the Delaware Winged-T (the Truman O) is tricky and the visitors lone score came on an outside sweep that showed their RBs speed (early in the game). But the Tigers had no luck up the middle and when their primary game (the run) was bottled up and they were forced to go to the air it didn't really work. As it was, the first few times Truman tossed the ball it caught Neshaminy off a bit but once they realized Truman would throw the 'Skins shut their air game down. Honestly, once the inside game was gone and with no air attack defending the outside run game was a little easier.

In the first half Neshaminy scored on 5 of their 6 possessions. Joel Stills scored three on the ground (with a couple of long ones) and Brody McAndrew hit Mike Garlick on a 50 or 60 yard pass while Leonhauser nailed a 40 yard field goal late in the second. McAndrew was right on with his passes and I think he missed just two of the maybe 10 he threw in the first two quarters (no picks and the 1 TD to Garlick).

Nershaminy's PAT efforts still need work as in the first half they missed two kicks and had another blocked but the ball was caught in the air by Cory Joyce (after the Truman player got his hand on it) who then ran it in for two. They also missed on a two point try so the facts are they were 1 for 4 on PATs after their first 4 scores (and remember they missed 4 against D-Town in their 37-33 loss).

Anyway you cut it, though, you can tell Truman is dangerous and on some of their plays it was very difficult to know who actually had the ball (they ran a double reverse that faked out everyone). So kudos to the 'Skins D for staying focused and playing position ball.

Then defensively Truman's front four are quick and they pressured McAndrews on several plays and caught Neshaminy's backs too many times before they hit the line of scrimmage.

At the half it was 30-7 for Neshaminy and they kicked off to start the second-half. Following course for the visitors, the Truman returner coughed up the ball on the tackle with a 'Skin picking up the loose ball and running it in to make it 37-7. After the following kickoff Neshaminy stopped Truman and they had to punt with another drive by the 'Skins seeing a score with McAndrew sneaking it in for 44-7 lead (that was 6 out of 7 possessions for points).

After kicking it to Truman their next drive saw a Tiger back pop it loose for a nice long run but he lost the ball when he was tackled around the 20 and it then bounced and rolled into end zone where Oleh Manzyk recovered it for the touchback.

On that next Neshaminy possession which started at their 20 (after the touchback) Savaughn Hebron (Savion's twin and one of the two Vaughn Hebron boys)ripped off a long distance run for a TD but he somersaulted into the end zone and the refs nullified the score giving Neshaminy a first and 25 at the 25 (WTF?? - isn't that a 15-yard penalty for excessive celebration). Anyway, the second teamers took it in a few plays later and the 'Skins took a knee on the PAT to make it 50-7 (that was 7 out of 8 possessions for a score).

Neshaminy's third team scored the last TD running the same play over and over and over out of I formation - the up back right up the middle (Wilmot wasn't trying anything fancy). They took a knee on the PAT and the final is 56-7.

Have you ever seen a game where one team seems to get every break and does nothing wrong and the other group can't catch a cold? That was this game. But don't count Truman out - you can see they have athletes and talent all over the place but today just wasn't their day. I'm expecting them in the playoffs and watch out for any team that sleeps on them.

By the way, the Redskins ground game has really come into its own. The first two games it was a little sketchy but with Joel Stills (sr), Savaungh and Savion Hebron (jrs), Oleh Manzyk (jr), Emmanuel Ampofo (jr), Chris James (freshmen) coming in with Mike Crescenzo (sr) it has developed nicely. I think Chris Majors (soph) has had a few handoffs too.

You know, looking down the road you have Brody McAndrew at QB (soph) with his receivers that are underclassmen including Manzyk (jr), Zach Canimore (jr), Marcus Griffin (jr) and Cory Joyce (jr) with the RBs including the Hebron brothers (jrs), Ampofo (jr), James (frosh) and Majors (soph) the skill crew is very young and will be getting nothing but better (I'm sure I'm forgetting someone). These guys are going to be a force over the next few years (in his first five starts McAndrews has about 1,150 yards with 8 TDs and only 2 picks).

Defensively Neshaminy really only slipped in the D-Town game and I think that was the cold water slap they needed (they played well today).

Wrapping it up ---- way to go 'Skins!!!

Last edited:
Nice write up pa2ca, probably won't be many responses as everyone seems to talk about western pa or plc. Heading to pennridge tonight, good game on tap. Congrats to the skins.

Cover -

Thanks.

I'm pulling for the Rams tonight (glad we played them early and they've turned it up since our game - and they're scary). And the Knights are a bit of a mystery - I'm just not sure about them yet.

Crazy year this year. I'm not sure I know how to respond. I saw the Skins game against DWest and I was planning on attending the game today at Heartbreak Ridge but I'm glad I missed it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say judging what I know about Truman's 4-0 record so far, their offensive makeup and Neshaminy's multiple weapons on offense, this is what I think. Neshaminy's D struggles to cover the pass (see DWest game). Truman doesn't throw well or at all. Truman faced their first test today and to put it mildly, wasn't up for the task. Truman is at least a year away but much improved. Anyone know Truman's remaining schedule? Neshaminy's?

Ran into a good team is all Skinner....finally, but yes, it can be hard finding the backs in that T-Flex. Just watching Bama crush Vandy who some also said were a good team. You're allowed to savor your alma mater kicking ass today Skinner! Truman will win their share of games with that system and their speed.
Ok, off to see State kick Iowa's ass! We'll be watching 3 at least with rest of inbreds for Georgia and Florida. Bulldogs seem legit and Kentucky will be sky high for Gators.

Moleskinner, it is interesting that the refs allowed a blocked try to be advanced for two points. The try becomes a dead ball once it is apparent it will not go through the uprights. Hard to believe no one on the field knew this. Not that it would have mattered!

705 -

I'm trying to figure out how they took away the TD Hebron scored when he somersaulted into the end zone. He was untouched and he was racing in and launched himself from the one yard line in a flip and landed on his feet in the end zone and then fell to the ground. The ref then threw a flag and ruled him down at the one and tacked on 15 yards for "excessive celebrating" so it became first and goal-to-go from the 16 yard line.

And I was wondering about that two point PAT myself.

Is the offense allowed to advance the ball if it doesn't hit the ground? For the defense the play is dead. I wondered about both myself.

I am 99% sure Hebron's TD should have counted, and Truman would have the option to take the 15 yards on the try or the kickoff.

Reluctant - only two "results" can happen once a try is kicked: kick is good OR kick is no good. Nothing else can happen to advance the ball either way, including the kicking team catching a blocked kick in the air. (This is just for a try, FG's are different).

Pa2ca,
Correct, knights are a mystery. Closer game than that should have been. No identity on offense, light up front and in the middle on defense. Work in progress, hopefully beck and the many coaches eyes he has will fix some areas. Anyway, the best players should play. Cb South game should be interesting...

I am 99% sure Hebron's TD should have counted, and Truman would have the option to take the 15 yards on the try or the kickoff.

Reluctant - only two "results" can happen once a try is kicked: kick is good OR kick is no good. Nothing else can happen to advance the ball either way, including the kicking team catching a blocked kick in the air. (This is just for a try, FG's are different).

Aren't PATs treated like punts in that if the block occurs behind the line of scrimmage it can still be advanced by the kicking team?? I don't know, just asking.

Under NFHS (high school) rules, which PIAA uses, FGs and punts are both scrimmage kicks and are treated the same, with the only exception being FGs can score points. On a blocked FG (or punt), the kicking team can pick up the ball behind the LOS and attempt to advance it.

On a PAT (officially called a try), if the ball is kicked, the try ends either:
1. when the kick is good, or
2. when it becomes apparent that the kick will be no good.

A blocked try that does not cross the LOS obviously will be no good; therefore, the ball immediately becomes dead and the try ends.

Under NFHS (high school) rules, which PIAA uses, FGs and punts are both scrimmage kicks and are treated the same, with the only exception being FGs can score points. On a blocked FG (or punt), the kicking team can pick up the ball behind the LOS and attempt to advance it.

On a PAT (officially called a try), if the ball is kicked, the try ends either:
1. when the kick is good, or
2. when it becomes apparent that the kick will be no good.

A blocked try that does not cross the LOS obviously will be no good; therefore, the ball immediately becomes dead and the try ends.

Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the explanation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT