ADVERTISEMENT

EPC Game of the Week: Parkland at Easton

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
Last Time They Met: Seventh seeded Parkland upset 12-0 Easton to win the D11 championship, 13-10 in OT. Parkland used superior special teams, with a blocked punt leading to their only TD, a bad snap on a punt setting up a field goal, and a field goal in OT to win. It was the third straight playoff victory for Parkland over Easton after losing the regular season meeting.

Parkland Leaders
Passing: Devante Cross: 83-133, 1,200 yards, 10 TDs, 4 INTs
Rushing: Devante Cross: 74 carries, 450 yards, 11 TDs
Receiving: Kenny Yeboah: 26 catches, 356 yards, 4 TDs; Nolan Ridgway: 18 catches, 351 yards, 3 TDs

Easton Leaders:
Passing: Trey Durrah: 30-58, 466 yards, 4 TDs, 5 INTs
Rushing: Nysir Minney-Gratz: 88 carries, 756 yard, 16Tds
Receiving: Trevon Mills: 11 catches, 209 yards

Parkland’s Offense: The Trojans run a high tempo, air raid type offense with an exceptional quarterback in senior Devante Cross. Like most spread teams, they throw tons of short screens, slants, and hitch routes. Easton showed some vulnerability to a similar type of offense against ACC, so expect Parkland to take what the defensive gives them and take yardage in small chunks down the field. But Easton has been susceptible to the big play, so look for shots down field to Ridgway and slot man Rick Panella, particularly off play action. Parkland has big, physical receivers, and particularly in the red zone, they’ll try to put them in jump ball situations. Yeboah is obviously deadly there, but Zack Bross and Ridgway both can really can go ge the ball in the air. Parkland’s running game is largely limited to designed QB runs, but Cross is dynamic in the open field. Parkland’s smallest offensive lineman is 35 pounds heavier than Easton’s biggest defensive lineman, so the Trojans may try to push the Rovers around in the run game if they can get off the ball with the smaller, quicker Rover defensive line.

Easton’s Defense: Easton flashed their potential last week by shutting Whitehall out, and allowing just 67 yards of total offense (despite being 2-4, the Zephyrs averaged 366 yards and 28 points per game coming into last week). On the year, the Rovers are allowing just 163.4 yards per game and only ACC has broken the 200 yard barrier. Still, Parkland will test Easton’s defense like no team it’s seen all year. For the first time I can remember, Easton is playing a ton of nickel, which is simply a response to the evolution of high school offenses. The Rovers are not big, but everybody from the defensive tackles to the cornerbacks can run. The Trojans have excelled in is pass protection, and the battle between Parkland’s huge offensive tackles Steven Feher (6’5 265) and Noel Brouse (6’6 270) against Daloni Caldwell and David Simmons coming off the edge will be a good one. Caldwell has 6.5 sacks on the year, mostly speed rushing by bigger, slower offensive linemen. But they’ll have to remain disciplined and set an edge against Cross, otherwise he’ll kill them with scrambles. They did a great job last week containing Gianni Sinatore, but Cross presents and even greater challenge.

Easton’s Offense: As usual, the Red Rovers are going to pound the rock until you make them do otherwise. Tailback Nysir Minney-Gratz is possibly the smallest running back in Pennsylvania (5’5 155), but runs tough and is going to get a bulk of the carries. Easton loves to use him on toss plays and sprint-draws, which give him some space to operate. He has exceptional balance and teams seem to really struggle in hitting him squarely and despite his size, he has the lower body strength to break some tackles. Easton’s offensive line will be at a size disadvantage, but one thing they’ll do is force the bigger Parkland defensive line to run around and chase them. I’d expect lots of sweeps and spring-out passes to move the pocket, mostly in an effort to tire out Parkland’s big bodies up front to exploit a conditioning advantage. And of course, they’ll trap you to death if you let them. But Easton will need Trey Durrah to be at his absolute best, because Easton isn’t going to be able to line up and run play after play against nine and ten guys in the box. Last week, they were more successful with a midrange passing game, and it’s those exact throws in the 7-15 yard range that they’ll need, and will have to avoid falling in love with the deep ball.

Parkland’s Defense: The Trojans struggled the last two weeks against multifaceted attacks with dual threat quarterbacks. That isn’t really the case here. Parkland has a large defensive front who tries to swallow up linemen and allow their physical but undersized linebackers to fill gaps and make plays. Eric DiGiralomo is having a fantastic year, and reads and reacts as well as any backer in the EPC. He’s a really good athlete and while Easton wants to go side to side and make Parkland chase them, that can be a recipe for disaster against a Tim Moncman defense. Parkland’s team speed secondary is the one identifiable weakness in the defense as they really don’t have burners back there. But unlike Whitehall and Liberty, Easton doesn’t have the passing game to really attack that part of the defense. If the Trojans can really get some push up front, they’ll take control of the game.

Special Teams: This is where Easton has been excellent this year. The Rovers have returned four kicks for TDs and both Greg Albertson and Katrell Thompson are dangerous return men. They’ve blocked three punts and had an excellent kick coverage unit. Easton’s place kicking has also improved dramatically from a year ago. Parkland graduated all state caliber kicker Jake Bissel, and is decidedly more average in the kicking game this season. They also don’t have the electricity in the return game that Easton possesses.

Parkland Wins If: They stop the Easton running game. They take advantage of their size advantage everywhere.

Easton Wins If: They don’t give up the big play. They pass enough to open running lanes for Minney-Gratz.

The Pick: The regular season match up doesn’t seem to mean a lot between these two teams. Easton and Parkland have re-matched in the playoffs seven times, with the winner of the regular season game going 2-5. Easton has at times looked very good this season, but they haven’t seen an opponent as good as Parkland. Parkland is not as strong as preseason polls would indicate, but they’re a very good football team with a dynamic quarterback and the ability to stop the run. It may be more of a low scoring affair than we’ve become accustomed to in D11 this year, I’m picking the Trojans to go into Cottingham and get their fifth win in the West Ward in their last six tries.Parkland: 28-10.

Last Time They Met: Seventh seeded Parkland upset 12-0 Easton to win the D11 championship, 13-10 in OT. Parkland used superior special teams, with a blocked punt leading to their only TD, a bad snap on a punt setting up a field goal, and a field goal in OT to win. It was the third straight playoff victory for Parkland over Easton after losing the regular season meeting.

Parkland Leaders
Passing: Devante Cross: 83-133, 1,200 yards, 10 TDs, 4 INTs
Rushing: Devante Cross: 74 carries, 450 yards, 11 TDs
Receiving: Kenny Yeboah: 26 catches, 356 yards, 4 TDs; Nolan Ridgway: 18 catches, 351 yards, 3 TDs

Easton Leaders:
Passing: Trey Durrah: 30-58, 466 yards, 4 TDs, 5 INTs
Rushing: Nysir Minney-Gratz: 88 carries, 756 yard, 16Tds
Receiving: Trevon Mills: 11 catches, 209 yards

Parkland’s Offense: The Trojans run a high tempo, air raid type offense with an exceptional quarterback in senior Devante Cross. Like most spread teams, they throw tons of short screens, slants, and hitch routes. Easton showed some vulnerability to a similar type of offense against ACC, so expect Parkland to take what the defensive gives them and take yardage in small chunks down the field. But Easton has been susceptible to the big play, so look for shots down field to Ridgway and slot man Rick Panella, particularly off play action. Parkland has big, physical receivers, and particularly in the red zone, they’ll try to put them in jump ball situations. Yeboah is obviously deadly there, but Zack Bross and Ridgway both can really can go ge the ball in the air. Parkland’s running game is largely limited to designed QB runs, but Cross is dynamic in the open field. Parkland’s smallest offensive lineman is 35 pounds heavier than Easton’s biggest defensive lineman, so the Trojans may try to push the Rovers around in the run game if they can get off the ball with the smaller, quicker Rover defensive line.

Easton’s Defense: Easton flashed their potential last week by shutting Whitehall out, and allowing just 67 yards of total offense (despite being 2-4, the Zephyrs averaged 366 yards and 28 points per game coming into last week). On the year, the Rovers are allowing just 163.4 yards per game and only ACC has broken the 200 yard barrier. Still, Parkland will test Easton’s defense like no team it’s seen all year. For the first time I can remember, Easton is playing a ton of nickel, which is simply a response to the evolution of high school offenses. The Rovers are not big, but everybody from the defensive tackles to the cornerbacks can run. The Trojans have excelled in is pass protection, and the battle between Parkland’s huge offensive tackles Steven Feher (6’5 265) and Noel Brouse (6’6 270) against Daloni Caldwell and David Simmons coming off the edge will be a good one. Caldwell has 6.5 sacks on the year, mostly speed rushing by bigger, slower offensive linemen. But they’ll have to remain disciplined and set an edge against Cross, otherwise he’ll kill them with scrambles. They did a great job last week containing Gianni Sinatore, but Cross presents and even greater challenge.

Easton’s Offense: As usual, the Red Rovers are going to pound the rock until you make them do otherwise. Tailback Nysir Minney-Gratz is possibly the smallest running back in Pennsylvania (5’5 155), but runs tough and is going to get a bulk of the carries. Easton loves to use him on toss plays and sprint-draws, which give him some space to operate. He has exceptional balance and teams seem to really struggle in hitting him squarely and despite his size, he has the lower body strength to break some tackles. Easton’s offensive line will be at a size disadvantage, but one thing they’ll do is force the bigger Parkland defensive line to run around and chase them. I’d expect lots of sweeps and spring-out passes to move the pocket, mostly in an effort to tire out Parkland’s big bodies up front to exploit a conditioning advantage. And of course, they’ll trap you to death if you let them. But Easton will need Trey Durrah to be at his absolute best, because Easton isn’t going to be able to line up and run play after play against nine and ten guys in the box. Last week, they were more successful with a midrange passing game, and it’s those exact throws in the 7-15 yard range that they’ll need, and will have to avoid falling in love with the deep ball.

Parkland’s Defense: The Trojans struggled the last two weeks against multifaceted attacks with dual threat quarterbacks. That isn’t really the case here. Parkland has a large defensive front who tries to swallow up linemen and allow their physical but undersized linebackers to fill gaps and make plays. Eric DiGiralomo is having a fantastic year, and reads and reacts as well as any backer in the EPC. He’s a really good athlete and while Easton wants to go side to side and make Parkland chase them, that can be a recipe for disaster against a Tim Moncman defense. Parkland’s team speed secondary is the one identifiable weakness in the defense as they really don’t have burners back there. But unlike Whitehall and Liberty, Easton doesn’t have the passing game to really attack that part of the defense. If the Trojans can really get some push up front, they’ll take control of the game.

Special Teams: This is where Easton has been excellent this year. The Rovers have returned four kicks for TDs and both Greg Albertson and Katrell Thompson are dangerous return men. They’ve blocked three punts and had an excellent kick coverage unit. Easton’s place kicking has also improved dramatically from a year ago. Parkland graduated all state caliber kicker Jake Bissel, and is decidedly more average in the kicking game this season. They also don’t have the electricity in the return game that Easton possesses.

Parkland Wins If: They stop the Easton running game. They take advantage of their size advantage everywhere.

Easton Wins If: They don’t give up the big play. They pass enough to open running lanes for Minney-Gratz.

The Pick: The regular season match up doesn’t seem to mean a lot between these two teams. Easton and Parkland have re-matched in the playoffs seven times, with the winner of the regular season game going 2-5. Easton has at times looked very good this season, but they haven’t seen an opponent as good as Parkland. Parkland is not as strong as preseason polls would indicate, but they’re a very good football team with a dynamic quarterback and the ability to stop the run. It may be more of a low scoring affair than we’ve become accustomed to in D11 this year, I’m picking the Trojans to go into Cottingham and get their fifth win in the West Ward in their last six tries.Parkland: 28-10.

Here is where Parkland is nowhere as good as last year. Kicking. Bissell was a weapon for them. Having to begin drive after drive on the 20 yard line makes it tough to score. He was also a terrific punter. It matters.
Easton 27 Parkland 13.

PS: How the hell does Shane Simpson not get one touch in overtime?

Heading up to Cottingham for this one. Been to long since I've been there. Really looking forward to this one. Not really high on this Easton team, and I agree with RoverNation's prediction.

Agreed that losing Bissel is huge. He probably is the best kicker from the Lehigh Valley this century. Nobody remembers, but his punt to pin Easton inside their 10 is what led to that second punting miscue by the Rovers that helped put Parkland up 10-7. If he can stop getting his kicks blocked (not his fault) he'll have a solid career at Lafayette.

I agree with you on overtime, to a point. They only ran two plays. The inside handoff to Reynolds on first down, then the pick. The first down call is probably the one you want back in my opinion. Second and nine, and they had had success moving the ball through the air in the fourth quarter.

Because I'm a masochist, I found the interception on Parkland's Hudl page and re watched it a couple times. Three Parkland defenders pick up Simpson and Bina is wide open at the 3 yard line. What I never realized is the reason the ball was so behind Bina is that the Parkland d-end tipped it at the line. The deflection goes right to DiGiralomo. He doesn't jump the route at all, he went inside with the safety to cover Simpson. They didn't execute, but the play was wide open.

Everybody focuses on OT, but the bigger plays to me was Easton mismanaging the clock at the end of regulation and having to settle for a field goal to tie, and not getting any points after forcing the fumble on the kick off after their touchdown to tie it. Just a missed opportunity.

Reactions: EPC FAN
EPC: 27-13? I just don't know if Easton scores that many points unless the defense and special teams get involved. This Easton team has been better than I expected, and I'm not sold on Parkland, but I think there's just simply a talent gap. Are you more wary of Parkland than I am?

EPC: 27-13? I just don't know if Easton scores that many points unless the defense and special teams get involved. This Easton team has been better than I expected, and I'm not sold on Parkland, but I think there's just simply a talent gap. Are you more wary of Parkland than I am?
Whitehall put up over 400 yards of offense vs. Parkland. The quarterback slipped going into the end zone on 4th down on one possession, nobody near him, costing them one TD. They put up 28 on Parkland, settling for two field goals on drives ending up inside the ten yard line.
Easton just hammered my Zephyrs. Our team gets very little from its Senior class, other than Gianni. Easton made it look like that. Parkland did not. I'm not sold on them.
Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but I've seen Easton and I believe they have more team speed than Parkland. Parkland seems to me to be a big play or bust team. They aren't relentless running ball unless Cross is allowed to run that spread option and come out the back door. I just believe Easton will control that part of the game.
Let's put it this way. If Easton were up on Parkland 41-13, the bus would be running for the trip back to Meyersville. Liberty is a team which has a tendency to get undisciplined at times, which they did against Parkland. Easton rarely does that.

I watched most of Parkland-Whitehall on tv, the Trojans defensive effort was not inspiring and offensively it was "go make a play Devante." I agree it wasn't impressive, other than I thought Cross showed a lot of toughness. I've been on his bandwagon since he was a sophomore, but while he has really improved, I don't think the team around him is as good as '13 or '14.

And while Easton's defense looked better against Whitehall's offense than Parkland's did, Easton's offense is a totally different animal than Whitehall, and one I think Parkland is better equipped to stop. Easton's interior linemen weigh 200, 205, and 215 pounds, and Parkland's best defenders are their 250 pound nose tackle and their 270 pound 3 technique. My worry is Brouse and Danko just swallow up Easton's running game, and I don't know what plan B is. I do think Easton's defense can stop Parkland's offense, first to 21 probably wins, but Parkland seems to have more ways to get there.

In years past, I would have hung my hat on Easton simply being tougher than Parkland (I've called Trojan teams soft more times than is probably appropriate) but the last three years of district games leaves me unable to take that position.

Nice stuff guys, a lot of work with good insights. You guys bring another perspective to this.

About the game; with the most important aspect of it being special teams then defense, regardless of the spread's impact that only gets you part of the way, I'll lean to Easton in this one, acknowledging the glitz and glamor (more weapons) Parkland brings to the game and in some areas outright physical superiority.

I don't know if Easton has a big kicking game advantage. Since last year, Parkland has moved from exceptional to average while Easton has gone from awful to average.

I wonder if this is the week Kenny Yeboah really breaks out. Outside of a ten catch game against a terrible Northampton team, he's been quiet. Because of his physicality he's a unique talent, but I wonder if he's been hampered by not having Jarey Elder around for teams to worry about.

They've returned how many for Tds, but I mentioned overall special teams, not just the kicking game where again, I think their team speed gives them an edge. Know they've returned a bunch of punts for Tds and have gotten good field position via kicking game, decent coverage. We'll see soon enough?

Right, when's Yeboah breakout occur? Ok, gotta go. Later Rover.

7-0 at halftime, Parkland leads. They had the ball the whole half, totally outplaying easton, somehow just a one score game. Rovers not scoring when they had first and goal after the muffed punt was a major missed opportunity.

Easton drives to the 5 after an interception, but commits a personal foul to set up 3rd and goal from the 20, just missed two pass plays and came away with no points.

Rovers force another 3 and out, drive inside the 10, false start penalty backs them up on third and 1, have to settle for a field goal. 7-3. Beautiful throwback screen for 40 yards keyed the drive on third and 11.

After an easton interception Parkland drives for a TD and goes up 21-3 with 1:36 left. Fade to Yeboah on fourth and goal.

Excepting a brave defensive effort by the Rovers with no help from a non-existent offense (?), that was about as thorough a job of self destruction a team can do via penalties and picks. Do disrespect to Park's D but when you throw it right to the other guy!! Good luck Rovers with a super tough run coming up at Lib, Free then home to Naz.
Despite some hickups Parkland looks like the team I still feel can get to Hershey.

Had a chance to make the trip up to Cottingham last night night, some thoughts. I don't think either team beats the D12 or D1 rep. That is the smallest Easton team I've seen. Shiffert is still stubborn, running too many plays right up the gut. Parkland was to big and strong for the Easton's o line, but they still kept trying to overpower Parkland. Parkland's offense wasn't overly impressive, maybe Easton's defense had something to do with that though. The Trojans struggled with the running game most of the game. Easton had their chances, but had a few mental lapses. Number 8 and 9 for Easton were all over the field, both were very good tacklers. All that being said, I enjoyed my return to Cottingham, although I can't recall Easton not scoring a touchdown in the many games I watched there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT