ADVERTISEMENT

DWest 24 Truman 22

ChesMont2

Oct 25, 2007
First half looked like DWest was going to get blown out. Couldn't stop the run and I believe they may have gained a net of zero yards on offense. Truman was bigger, stronger and had a couple of good looking backs and were running all over the Whippets. Truman scored twice in 1st qtr rather easily to go up 14-0 but DWest defense starts to show some fight and gets a few stops and goes into half down two scores. Whippets get ball to start 3rd and still nothing. Truman muffs punt and DWest starts at their 26 and moves to 1st and goal at 7 but Truman stuffs them and they turn it over on downs. Teams trade punts and DWest finally gets on the board as Lewis breaks through from about 10 yds out but they miss the extra point, Truman 14-6. DWest defense continues to tighten up and gets a stop. Next possession, Wetzel throws up a 50/50 ball from mid-field that the Truman defender tips into DWest receivers hands and he takes it in, go for two and get it. 14-14. West then forces another 3 and out deep in Truman territory, punt snap is bad and DWest ends up recovering in endzone for TD and 21-14 lead with 3:50 left. Truman gets ball at 30, three plays later are down inside 10, score with 34 sec left, go for 2 and get it, Truman 22-21. West returns kick to mid-field, 1st down Wetzel connects with Lundberg? down to the 23, take 1 shot into endzone, then Byrnes kicks 39 yarder to win it. What an exciting second half in miserable conditions. Neither team quit. Wetzel is a terrific football player. Had several crunching hits on Truman RB's and on offense pretty much willed them to the win.

Lundberg used his big frame perfectly to block out the Truman defensive back from getting to the ball when he took it down to the 23. That was a big time throw and catch.

Besides the two state championship appearances this has to rank up as one of the greatest/most memorable wins in Whippets history.

Too bad about the bs celebration flag after Truman converted a 2-pt try for a 22-21 lead with 30 seconds left in a playoff game giving DW the ball in their territory. 17-18 year olds celebrating what looked like a win. The nerve!

Too bad about the bs celebration flag after Truman converted a 2-pt try for a 22-21 lead with 30 seconds left in a playoff game giving DW the ball in their territory. 17-18 year olds celebrating what looked like a win. The nerve!
I hope you’re kidding...disgraceful if so.

I'd like to see the video of the Truman celebration after the 2 pt conversion before making a judgement.

I'd like to see the video of the Truman celebration after the 2 pt conversion before making a judgement.
Saw the video on Hudl and hard to see anything at all. Also watched the above link from The Big Ticket and did not look like anything that warranted a flag. I'm also curious if that flag would have been thrown if the game were at Truman. Horrible call in that situation.

Saw the video on Hudl and hard to see anything at all. Also watched the above link from The Big Ticket and did not look like anything that warranted a flag. I'm also curious if that flag would have been thrown if the game were at Truman. Horrible call in that situation.
The appropriate response would of been a warning rather than potentially effecting an outcome on behavior that didn’t have any impact on a play. I guess I chose the wrong game to watch. Those kids at Truman looked like a team that might of matched up with Coatesville better than most- fast and physical. If they cleaned-up some errors they go real deep. Redskins looked like they were rolling too.

I do not thinks its a PA HS thing. Most leagues from middle school through the professional level have rules against celebrating. Its not just a PA rule. Now you may argue that the refs should eat the flag under the circumstances, but thats a judgment call.

SPEED, I completely agree. If players run on the field it's a penalty. It's pretty clear. Of course it sucked for a team looking to change their history.
Remember, the officials are being graded for their performance, too. There's no guarantee the result changes because they chose not to throw a flag there.

No kidding. Only the brain dead JOs that govern PA HS sports could come up with that penalty. Let's just take the fun out of everything.
Come on Stalk. Congrats to DWest for coming back and winning. Truman let up 2 tds before to put themselves in this position. Great season Truman.

I'm not picking a side and don't have a horse in the race. Who won doesn't matter….does it? I'm talking about the rule.

Agree completely on all points, Stalk. Celebration was not excessive, 17 and 18 year olds doing something their school was about to do that had never been done before, strange rule, questionable home field call?
Still, congrats to DW and their coaches, the more experienced program that capitalized on the shorter field situation.
Excellent Truman coaching staff and players have thrilled their school and community for the last 2 years of making history. Best of luck going forward.

Reactions: Stalker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT