ADVERTISEMENT

District 1 Playoffs

Kind of cool to have the neighbors meeting in the playoffs; throw out the records in rivalry games.
If all the higher seeds win we will have an excellent second round of games. Some of the 5A games should be pretty good w Rustin and Great Valley and Shanahan and Strath Haven.

District 1 agrees with Glenn and has decided Neshaminy is not a normal #1 seed. Neshaminy lost 8 weeks ago. Action must be taken. A meeting is scheduled for 7pm tonight to reseed the bracket.
Not sure what a "normal" # 1 seed is but Coatesville and DT East would be higher seeded if they didn't play 4-5A teams. Ditto Perk Val playing 1-5A and 2-4A teams. That's not Neshaminy's fault

Just for the sake of conversation and just one man's opinion, so certainly not the be all end all here....

This is how I'd rank the 16 6A teams....

1. Coatesville
2. D-East
3. North Penn
4. Garnet Valley
5. Perk. Valley
6. Pennridge
7. Neshaminy
8. Pennsbury
9. CB South
10. Haverford
11. CB West
12. OJR
13. Q'Town
14. Truman
15. S-Ford
16. Penn Wood

Just for the sake of conversation and just one man's opinion, so certainly not the be all end all here....

1. Coatesville
2. D-East
3. North Penn
4. Garnet Valley
5. Perk. Valley
6. Pennridge
7. Neshaminy
8. Pennsbury
9. CB South
10. Haverford
11. CB West
12. OJR
13. Q'Town
14. Truman
15. S-Ford
16. Penn Wood

I think that’s decent Huck. Coats and D-East for sure but it’s an argument not having Skins higher than Pennridge who I know you know they beat. Skins won some tight games that shows class, competitiveness etc….on the road but hey, it’s a difficult thing to do and would be a fun sit-around over a few beers to figure out.

That looks pretty fair to me. Huck - would love to see you ranking of the the pcl teams. While its obvious the top 3. I'd be curious to see the rest 4 through the bottom.

I think that’s decent Huck. Coats and D-East for sure but it’s an argument not having Skins higher than Pennridge who I know you know they beat. Skins won some tight games that shows class, competitiveness etc….on the road but hey, it’s a difficult thing to do and would be a fun sit-around over a few beers to figure out.

Agree. Fair. I think you're splitting hairs at least from the 5-10 spots. Then, maybe hairs between the 11-16 spots. Give or take. Pennridge also beat Perk Valley.

Burrs

Solid list, I would only make 2 minor changes, switch PV and Pennridge as head to head Pennridge beat PV 29-0, and move Spring-Ford in front of Truman.

R1:

1 Neshaminy
16 Spring-Ford

8 Pennsbury
9 Central Bucks South

4 Coatesville
13 Harry S Truman

5 Downingtown East
12 Owen J Roberts

2 Perkiomen Valley
15 Penn Wood

7 Pennridge
10 Quakertown

3 Garnet Valley
14 Central Bucks West

6 North Penn
11 Haverford

R2:

1 Neshaminy
8 Pennsbury

4 Coatesville
5 Downingtown East

2 Perkiomen Valley
7 Pennridge

3 Garnet Valley
6 North Penn

Semis:

1 Neshaminy
4 Coatesville

2 Perkiomen Valley
6 North Penn

Final:

4 Coatesville
6 North Penn
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R1 went as most thought it would with all of the higher seeds advancing. 5 (Pennsbury, Cville, Dtown East, Pennridge, GV) no-doubters with 3 games that weren't decided by halftime (Skins, PV (comeback), NP (tight game until late)).

R2 makes for a little more challenging picks as all 4 games look good on paper. Three rematches from the regular season and a rematch of last year's district final.

1v8: Can the Skins beat the Falcons for the second time in 15 days? It took a big 4th quarter comeback last time. Falcons looked impressive versus CB South.

4v5: Can the Red Raiders beat the Cougars for the second time this season? It took a last minute comeback last time. Both looked impressive in R1 blowouts.

2v7: Can the Rams beat the Vikings for the second time this season? It was an absolute blowout last time around, but I see this one being much closer. Rams hammered an outgunned Quakertown team while the Vikings needed a big comeback over Penn Wood to pull off the win.

3v6: Two different teams from the two that met in the District Final last year. In R1, the Knights struggled versus Haverford while GV hammered CB West. Common opponents are Haverford (GV won 28-13, NP won 41-26) and CB West (GV won 32-13, NP won 28-14). It looks like a tight one on paper.

Reactions: Relayer
All of these look like terrific games on paper. All of these teams are very familiar with each other, which is why I think coaching will be the deciding factor in all of them. 3/4 are rematches from this year; how will these staffs adjust to what went well/poorly in their first match-up? What new wrinkles will they install? Please do not just sit in your base O/D and say "well this is what we do." That's a recipe for disaster and the other staff will exploit you! IMO, this is is a very common mistake for high school defenses (much more so than offenses). These offenses are typically multiple and complex. You need a great defensive game plan to stop these high-scoring offenses. You need to be multiple on defense to keep the offense and their coordinator/QB off-balance.

As we all know, defenses come to the fore-front this time of the year. As much as we love watching these prolific offenses, defense is what wins in the playoffs. For these reasons, I see the following teams emerging to the semis: Pennsbury (defense looked strong vs CBS and I think they continue that this week), Coatesville, Pennridge (defense blanked them the first time) and North Penn (toss up but I think Beck figures them out).

1. Coatesville
2. D-East
3. North Penn
4. Garnet Valley
5. Perk. Valley
6. Pennridge
7. Neshaminy
8. Pennsbury
9. CB South
10. Haverford
11. CB West
12. OJR
13. Q'Town
14. Truman
15. S-Ford
16. Penn Wood

I understand the thinking and don't disagree "too much", but Neshaminy has beaten Pennridge 3 times in 2 seasons and you put Pennridge ahead of them?

I think this year's D1 "Big Class" quarter-final games are the best across the board that I can recall. Each features a match up of teams that might not have been selected any better -- in terms of head-to-head "strengths & weaknesses" and abilities -- with the histories of the schools playing each other (whether referencing only recent seasons or stretching way back into the 1900s) adding plenty of weight to the "must see" quality of the entire group.

Talk about the rubber meeting the road (I can't wait).

Go 'Skins!!

Reactions: Fletchster1
You couldn't draw these matchups any better if you did them in middle of october. We have what I think are two of the best teams in DTE and NP ready for the fights of their lives. Not sure we can say NP over GV in a high scoring game is an upset but I'll take the higher seed their. I think Pennridge has a fantastic draw. I see them winning by 2 td's over PV and headed to a rematch with NP. But thats gold for NP who owns Pennridge. Cville vs Np in the final....what the over/under? 70?

R1:

1 Neshaminy
16 Spring-Ford

8 Pennsbury
9 Central Bucks South

4 Coatesville
13 Harry S Truman

5 Downingtown East
12 Owen J Roberts

2 Perkiomen Valley
15 Penn Wood

7 Pennridge
10 Quakertown

3 Garnet Valley
14 Central Bucks West

6 North Penn
11 Haverford

R2:

1 Neshaminy
8 Pennsbury

4 Coatesville
5 Downingtown East

2 Perkiomen Valley
7 Pennridge

3 Garnet Valley
6 North Penn

Semis:

1 Neshaminy
4 Coatesville

2 Perkiomen Valley
6 North Penn

Final:

4 Coatesville
6 North Penn
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R2 produced 3 lopsided outcomes and 1 amazing comeback - it also destroyed my predictions as only 1 team remains. It's hard to believe NP blew a 35-7 3rd quarter lead. Kudos to GV for continuing to fight, but major collapse by NP.

4v8: Red Raiders look like the class of the field and a potential state title contender. Speed all over the place, so the Falcons must slow down the game with long grueling drives and hope for a few turnovers. Doesn't happen, Red Raiders by 20.

3v7: Two straight shutouts for the Rams, but the GV O is a different animal. That comeback against NP has them playing with house money. GV by 14.

Liberty vs parkland winner gets the prep...

Coatesville vs pennridge/garnet valley..

Out west central catholic plays pine Richland.. and then of course is Cumberland valley in the upper bracket. Exciting time for 6A football

Is looks as though they're blowing out everyone in their path. 12-0 with a +442 point differential - wow! They beat PCC by 30 earlier in the season, so that might be another laugher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT