ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Ellis steps down at Great Valley

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
Just read Ellis submitted resignation at Great Valley. Correct me if I’m wrong but turned around and bought toughness turning around Springfield Delco program then a short stint at WC East then did a very nice job reviving Great Valley. Is it common for school districts not to offer a teaching job to a football coach after 5 years? Academically GV in my opinion is just a tad under Conestoga, Unionville and Lower Merion as tops in Phila area and state. Is it GV still will not ultimately value a very good coach? Thoughts? Thanks

Ches I am on board with your thoughts about GV. The area is highly desired, the school system is elite. I thought Ellis really made the program something to be followed and legit. Not hard to see that even 10 years ago this would have been embraced far more than it is now.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
Team recently had a drop in talent, which certainly may have factored into the decision.
Not having a job in the school clearly is an uphill battle for anyone, but they won 12 games his first year and 3 his last. Ellis can coach, maybe he saw the future and didn't see it getting better. He also has sons and maybe wants to see them play.

Team recently had a drop in talent, which certainly may have factored into the decision.
Not having a job in the school clearly is an uphill battle for anyone, but they won 12 games his first year and 3 his last. Ellis can coach, maybe he saw the future and didn't see it getting better. He also has sons and maybe wants to see them play.
Great Valley started its own yourh football program maybe 5-8 years back. I would think this would help Ellis or any new coach. He turned around Springfield who battles Garnet Valley for league title. He couldn’t seem to pull Great Valley up w Rustin or Unionville in the Ches-Mont though.

Reactions: D1sideline
In today's world of football, maintaining, building or rebuilding a successful program is not only difficult, but more so exhausting! But everyone here is well aware of that

Great Valley started its own yourh football program maybe 5-8 years back. I would think this would help Ellis or any new coach. He turned around Springfield who battles Garnet Valley for league title. He couldn’t seem to pull Great Valley up w Rustin or Unionville in the Ches-Mont though.
3 years ago he was saying the success the youth program was having was about to level off..... I would think it's 2 or 3 factors in his decision.

3 years ago he was saying the success the youth program was having was about to level off..... I would think it's 2 or 3 factors in his decision.
What is hard to understand is Great Valley is the same size as Rustin and Unionville and I think most would agree they have maintained a successful program over 10 or so years. Great Valley is a sports school and would think a good coach could make them constantly competitive.

What exactly is Coach Ellis certified to teach in PA? Besides that like you said schools in this area are generally not just going to be able to create a position for a coach. Could have been a bunch of openings at GV over the last five years, but if they were not in what coach was certified for what could the district or administration do?

Cheers,

Busch

He teaches social studies at West Chester East. I believe he was there before he coached at Springfield. One of the reasons he left Springfield was to be closer to home. 3 youngsters.

He teaches social studies at West Chester East. I believe he was there before he coached at Springfield. One of the reasons he left Springfield was to be closer to home. 3 youngsters.

Shoe that makes sense. Shame nothing popped up at Great Valley. Just don’t see that happening to often in this area anymore.

Cheers,

Busch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT