ADVERTISEMENT

D11/2/4 Big School Power Rankings

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
Better late than never!

1. Parkland (4-0)
Last Week: Parkland rushed for almost 300 yards in a comfortable 63-14 win over Pocono Mountain West. No back carried the ball more than six times, but they got touchdowns from Eric DiGiralomo, Jahan Worth, and Nolan Ridgway. Kenny Yeboah also grabbed a TD.

My Take
: Parkland came into the season a heavy favorite. To this point, they have not been challenged. The ACC looks more impressive now that they’ve taken down Easton, but wins over PMW, Northampton, and Dieruff simply don’t provide much information.

This Week: Parkland takes on Whitehall. Although it’s a very different Whitehall team than the one that beat the Trojans last season, this has been a real rivalry for the last twenty five years. Gianni Sinatore has been shockingly interception prone, throwing 8 in the first four weeks after only throwing six as a junior. Parkland will want to keep the turnover train rolling and take advantage of a very young Whitehall offensive line to put pressure on Sinatore.

2. Wyoming Valley West (4-0)
Last Week: Wyoming Valley West crushed Berwick in what was billed as the game of the year so far in District 2. Devon Weidman scored a pair of TDs, including a 64 yard run, and Sean Judge also had a 60+ yard touchdown as the Spartans piled up 376 yards against the vaunted Berwick defense. On the other side of the ball, they allowed just 147 yards on 44 snaps (3.3 yards per play)

My Take: This WVW team looks to be in the conversation with 2007 Hazleton, 2009 East Stroudsburg South, and 2012 Delaware Valley as non-Lehigh Valley teams that are real threats for a subregional title. They don’t have an NFL running back like Hazleton and ESS did, but they have balance on offense, a plus sized offensive line, a pair of FCS players (LJ Wesneski and Chris Reese) at defensive end, plus another at inside linebacker (Bill Davidson) and a quarterback who has been more than solid in his first year as a starter.

This Week:
The Spartans take on a 3-1 Coughlin team, with wins over Crestwood and Dallas, but an ugly loss to Hazleton in the opening game of the season. They got pushed around in that week one game, and though WVW doesn’t have a running back built like Adrien Otero, they have the offensive line to maul Coughlin.

3. Freedom (4-0)
Last Week: Nothing to see here, Freedom 36-7. Northampton’s run of Parkland-Easton-Freedom is over, though they did break 100 yards of total offense for the first time since week 1. Freedom got three different quarterbacks snaps and seven different players carried the football, none more than seven times.

My Take: I was skeptical of Freedom coming into the year, but they’ve been nothing but solid so far. Their close call with Nazareth, originally taken by my as an indictment of the Patriots, is turning out to be a real quality win. The loss of Roberto Diez hurts, it’s particularly unfair to lose such a key player two years in a row, but Joe Young has the look of a college quarterback and can handle the offense, even without his top running back. The defense, meanwhile, has been as good as advertised, which is where I was really skeptical. They’ve continued forcing turnovers at a ridiculous clip, and at this point I don’t think it’s just the ball bouncing the right way.

Next Week: Freedom takes on Allentown Central Catholic. The Vikings are fresh off of a huge win against Easton. Freedom will need to tackle in space and be solid against the screens and hitches Ethan Persa loves to throw in their offense. Freedom’s base defense has five DBs on the field, so they’re suited to stopping spread teams. Offensively, ACC can take away yAlkhion Dunkins with Dallas Kassis, as good a DB as there is the league, so Young will have to spread it around.

4. Nazareth (3-1)
Last Week: It’s Travis Stefanik’s world, we’re just living in it. The junior quarterback threw for 235 yards (15-22) and five touchdowns and ran for another 202 (on 18 carries) and two touchdowns. Nazareth outscored Emmaus 28-7 in the second half, and withstood a monster effort from Kyle Boney (33 carries, 205 yards, 5 TDs) to move to 3-1 for their best start since winning a D11 title in 2011. Once again Jahan Dotson was the biggest weapon on the field, catching eight passes for 99 yards and a touchdown.

My Take: While at the top, I think D11 is down this year from 2014, the middle class is demonstrably better, and nowhere is that more evident than in Nazareth. The EPC South has had an influx of good coaching talent over the past few years, with Tom Falzone being one of the brightest stars. The turnaround he’s engineered in year two has been extremely impressive, and I think he’s going to have this Nazareth program firing for as long as he’s the head coach.

This Week: Nazareth takes on a struggling Northampton team. It should be a light night for Jahan Dotson and Julian Liaci, both with the weather and the potential final score. Maybe this is the week Nazareth gets some semblance of a running game going?

5. Liberty (3-1)(now 4-1)
Last Week: I had serious doubts about Liberty heading into their battle with Whitehall and boy was I wrong. The Hurricanes waxed Whitehall, 42-7, thanks to three interceptions, including a 90 yard pick 6 by Justin Haynes on the game’s opening drive. Doug Erney was an efficient 9-12 for 154 yards and three touchdowns, and freshman running back Nasir Legree ran for 109 yards, his second straight game over 100, and it looks like he’s emerging as a real guy in their three headed rushing attack of Legree, Erney, and Gunner Anglovich.

My Take
: With rumblings that John Truby is coaching for his job (with overtures being made about a certain displaced head coach) , his boys have really rallied. They’re a sleepwalked second half against Nazareth form being 5-0. The running game has been better than I was anticipating, and there really isn’t anything this team can’t do on offense. Defensively, there’s tons of talent there, and game by game they figure it out a little more.

This Week: These were drafted before Liberty’s 34-31 win over Emmaus, moved to Thursday night due to weather. Doug Erney was tremendous, throwing for 230 yards and four touchdowns in the driving rain and the Hurricanes racked up 440 yards of total offense. Like all defenses, they had trouble with Kyle Boney (216 yards, 4 touchdowns), though 188 of those yards came before halftime, great adjustments by the Hurricane defense. Ultimately, Emmaus just can’t contend in a shootout and Liberty was able to shut down the non-Boney elements of the Green Hornet offense.

6. Allentown Central Catholic (3-1)
Last Week: ACC pulled the Saturday night upset special, a 26-24 win over Easton. Quarterback Ethan Persa was brilliant, competing 14 of 17 passes for 197 yards and two touchdowns. However, the star of the night was receiver Tom Murphy. Making his first career start, he caught eight passes for 117 yards and recovered an onside kick to start the second half. Running back Alvin Pacheco also broke the century mark with 122 yards and a score on 21 carries and a touchdown.

My Take: Is ACC back? Since the 2010 state championship, the Vikings went 11-24 in conference play, and haven’t finished the regular season over .500 since going 6-4 in 2011. They’ve already surpassed their 2013 and 2014 win totals. This squad plays great defense, particularly up front where they have a college like rotation of seven defensive linemen that shuffle in and out of their base nickel scheme, and their d-backs can go with anybody. Their big issue is, will they be able to match points with all of the 3A teams that are going to have great records at the end of the year. Bethlehem Catholic, Saucon Valley, Southern Lehigh, Blue Mountain, and Lehighton all are likely to finish between 8-2 and 10-0. ACC plays a much tougher schedule than those five, but only four teams qualify for playoffs. They don’t have a huge margin of error.

This Week: ACC plays their third straight game against EPC South favorites with this week’s contest with Freedom. The Patriots are 4-0 and looking like the biggest challengers to Parkland. ACC’s defense has been excellent the last two weeks, both against the spread of Parkland and the power game of Easton. Freedom’s offense looks more like the Trojans,, so ACC will need to tackle in space and contain the quarterback run.

7. Saucon Valley (4-0)
Last Week: Saucon Valley cruised to a 55-14 win over Catasaqua. Evan Culver was out by halftime, but racked up 184 yards and 4 touchdowns on just four carries. Six different Panthers carried the football and the game was running clock for the entire second half.

My Take: The only Colonial League team ever to win a D11 AAA title was Wilson in 2008. Could Saucon Valley become the second? They’ve rolled their schedule so far, and have the most experience of any team in the Lehigh Valley. Culver is the real deal, but will they have enough to outgun or slow down Becahi or ACC in November?

Next Week: The Panthers get Northwestern Lehigh, the defending Colonial League champions and always a cream of the crop D11 team in 2A. Saucon Valley looks to avenge their only regular season loss in 2014. Tiger running back Harry Hall is an all state caliber player at running back and linebacker, and I expect him to have a dual with Culver in the sloppy conditions. Those two have combined for 1,373 yards this season and over 6,000 yards in their careers.

8. Bethlehem Catholic (3-1)
Last Week: Bethlehem Catholic beat the brakes off of East Stroudsburg South, piling up 554 yards of offense (438 rushing) winning 53-7. Antwon Keenan continued his assault on the stat sheet, piling up 169 yards on six carries and scoring. Julian Spigner also rushed for 124 yards and three TDs and threw another touchdown. ESS gained 41 of their 168 yards on a fourth quarter touchdown run while trailing 56-0 and turned the ball over five times.

My Take: Because of the conference set up, it’s hard to get a read on Becahi. Antwon Keenan has been incredible, averaging 12.4 yards per carry and scoring a touchdown once every 3.8 touches. Spigner has been quietly effective, but they haven’t really needed to throw the ball outside of the opener with Liberty. They key with the Golden Hawks will be keeping their focus and getting themselves ready for late season match ups with Stroudsburg and ACC and then the playoff push.

This Week: Bethlehem Catholic takes on Dieruff , in the midst of a disappointing 2015. Becahi is the heavy favorite, as they will be for the rest of the regular season.

9. Williamsport (4-0)
Last Week: Once again, Isaiah Hankins was excellent and the Millionaires beat Hazleton 42-24. The junior is staking his claim as one of the most exciting players in Pennsylvania, and threw for 149 yards and three touchdowns and ran for 119 yards and three more TDs. Jerah Reeves broke 100 yards for the first time this year, catching 7 passes for 110 yards and three touchdowns, including a crazy, 34 yard, over the top of the DB catch in the end zone on a 4th and 33(!) that gave Williamsport an early second half lead.

My Take: I thought Williamsport could surprise and they’re proving me right so far. They’re still a flawed team, they give up a lot of points and Hankins is forced to scramble more than I’m sure he’d like to, but they have scary talent at the skill spots. Hankins is having an all state type of year, and Reeves is one of the most productive receivers in the state. He’s complimented by a host of talent, including tight end Jalen Jackson, running back Elliott Walker, and freshman fullback Trysten Potts.

This Week: Williamsport takes on Dallas Area, who beat Scranton in their season opener, but comes it at just 1-3. Dallas is severly limited offensively (13 points against Scranton, 14 against Wallenpaupack, 0 against Berwick, 14 against Coughlin) and its doubtful they can match the Millionaires firepower.

10 (tie). Stroudsburg (3-1)
Last Week: Stroudsburg crushed Dieruff, 52-13, behind a big day from all of their skill guys. Jake Jakobson threw for 275 yards, 12 off of the school record, Marcello Riccardi caught 5 passes for 150 yards, and Jamaal Brome had a quiet 124 yards to stay on top of the state rushing charts.

My Take: Stroudsburg’s season opening shootout loss to Nazareth is not the albatross I thought it would be after week one. Stroudsburg really doesn’t play anybody other than Bethlehem Catholic and a tricky East Stroudsburg North team the rest of the way, so they have a clear path to one of the six D11 subregional spots. The story so far is clearly Jamaal Brome, the mighty mouse sized tailback who leads the state in rushing. The last two years, Gerald Douglas has been unable to carry his regular season success over into the playoffs, and that will be Stroudsburg and Brome’s challenge if they do qualify for the postseason.

This Week: Stroudsburg gets East Stroudsburg North, a triple option team with a dangerous running threat at quarterback. The Mountie should win, and win comfortably, but at least in the early going, they’ll have to figure things out on defense.

10 (tie). Easton (3-1)
Last Week: Easton dropped a 26-24 game to ACC at J. Birney Crum on Saturday. The Rovers were held without a first down until 7:53 left in the first half, and never really did find their rhythm on offense. Defensively, they got dink-and-dunked by Persa, then gave up big plays immediately after turnovers that led to scores. They got another strong performance from Nysir Minney-Gratz (26 carries, 137 yards, 2 TDs) who breaks more tackles than anybody his size has any business doing. They had the ball with a change to win in the final five minutes, but with a 2nd and 6 from the ACC 21, Easton fumbled a pitch for a loss of ten yards on 2nd down, picked six yards back up on third, then bobbled the snap and didn’t get a play off on 4th down. They would never get any closer, and ACC held on to the 26-24 win.

My Take: Easton is an average football team (Stalk, you’re crazy having them eight in the east, the Morning Call had them seventh in the conference today…). The win against Emmaus loses a little bit of luster each week, and like Parkland they have to wait to get a real signature win on the schedule. Minney-Gratz has been a pleasure to watch, a testament to that kid for sticking it out and taking advantage of his opportunity when it comes. As I’d been saying, the quick strike offense isn’t sustainable week in and week out, and they need to figure out how they’re going to maintain possession and put drives together.

This Week: Easton takes on East Stroudsburg South, who has taken some real lumps this season. Jeff Cirillo likes to throw it all over the place, so Easton’s defense is going to pin its ears back to get after the quarterback. Offensively, ESS has given up huge rushing yards so far, and don’t expect that to change tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT