ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Rankings So Far & Some thoughts

solfootballfan

Sep 24, 2018
This year's rankings are interesting:

1 NORTH PENN: Impressive record, but appear to have some issues stopping some average to above average squads.

2 COATESVILLE: Very impressive wins. They look like the real deal and the clear favorite in D1. The way they dismantled a good Downingtown W. team was their statement win.

3 GARNET VALLEY: Like North P, impressive record but some obvious issues as well against some average to below average squads. Is Radnor that good?

4 DOWNINGTOWN WEST: The way they put a hurt on their local rival last week and Neshaminy, it appears that they're a contender too.

5 HARRY S. TRUMAN: Where did they come from? Are they that good or is SoL that down?

6 SPRING-FORD: Surprised to hear little to nothing about this team. Any insights?

7 DOWNINGTOWN EAST: They're usually the class of the Chestmont until the Red Raiders the last couple years. They should be a tough out as always. Local rivalries sometimes don't tell the story.

8 HAVERFORD: Another under the radar team. Could they do some damage? Any insights?

9 PERKIOMEN VALLEY: Seems every year this team makes some noise. Do they still have a great pass attack?

10 UPPER DARBY: Another squad under reported. Good to see they rebounded. Any insights?

My pick is Coatesville, but I think there's going to be some upsets.

Could be real fun to see how D1 shakes-out this year.

Look forward to hear from others.

This year's rankings are interesting:

1 NORTH PENN: Impressive record, but appear to have some issues stopping some average to above average squads.

2 COATESVILLE: Very impressive wins. They look like the real deal and the clear favorite in D1. The way they dismantled a good Downingtown W. team was their statement win.

3 GARNET VALLEY: Like North P, impressive record but some obvious issues as well against some average to below average squads. Is Radnor that good?

4 DOWNINGTOWN WEST: The way they put a hurt on their local rival last week and Neshaminy, it appears that they're a contender too.

5 HARRY S. TRUMAN: Where did they come from? Are they that good or is SoL that down?

6 SPRING-FORD: Surprised to hear little to nothing about this team. Any insights?

7 DOWNINGTOWN EAST: They're usually the class of the Chestmont until the Red Raiders the last couple years. They should be a tough out as always. Local rivalries sometimes don't tell the story.

8 HAVERFORD: Another under the radar team. Could they do some damage? Any insights?

9 PERKIOMEN VALLEY: Seems every year this team makes some noise. Do they still have a great pass attack?

10 UPPER DARBY: Another squad under reported. Good to see they rebounded. Any insights?

My pick is Coatesville, but I think there's going to be some upsets.

Could be real fun to see how D1 shakes-out this year.

Look forward to hear from others.

Radnor is good. Though Stalker asked me who I would pick between Penn Wood, Springfield, or Radnor, I picked Springfield to win D1. I just may change that to PW or Radnor. I have to review more tape on both. Yes, Radnor is that good. Their time maybe here.

Haverford is another one of those team who could shake things up in the post season. They played GV well.

Having seen a bunch of these teams I’ll give you my two cents. Would not be surprised that when it’s said and done Coatesville is 28 points better than everyone this year in D1. Also would not shock me if next two best teams are the Dowingtowns.

I’ve seen everyone in the Central at least once. Garnet Valley is good and will be a threat because their style is very difficult for non familiar opponents come playoff time and they are tremendously coached. Big factor in one game situation. I thought they were huge threat in both 16 and 17. Don’t see it with this group. Offensively backs aren’t as explosive as in past and line is good but not nearly as big as before. Defensively not terribly dynamic on back end and teams have thrown ball very well against them.

Haverford very explosive offensively. Really have been humming last month. Very good passing game with multiple weapons. Difference this year has been when teams play coverage and dare them to run it in the box this year they have been able to. Bigger than they have been. Springfield and Ridley games will be very interesting to see if they can keep it rolling. Absolutely rolled in third qtr of Radnor game against pretty good defense. Had six trips to red zone against GV and only got 7 for game so who knows.

Defensively a bit of mystery. Fairly young on that side. Some teams have run the ball on them very well who are fairly pedestrian on offense and have given up some big plays in secondary which has been surprising. Overall they have some dangerous athletes that you need athletes to match.

Upper Darby getting better each week. Junior QB reminds of kid doing great things for Radnor. Junior RB very good. Great size up front and some athletes outside. Work in progress on offense but have talent and pieces.

Very good on D. Big, fast and good in secondary. Will know more after Ridley and GV. Think they are better than advertised but might be year away.

Radnor has great senior class and good pieces. Mullarkey,Cohen and Rider great triplet. Almost beat Garnet sans Cohen. Played Haverford great for a half. If Cohen ok they will be best offense in 5a playoffs along with Penn Wood. Defense is also very feisty. You will have to be able to score to beat them.

Springfield has excellent D. Not sure they have offense where they need it but another well coached bunch. Can throw the ball and have two LBs as good as anyone’s.

Haven can beat right opponent. Wing T can give the wrong defense fits.

Marple too young this year. Not enough up front and young at key spots.

District 1 down. Central down from last year but in fairness it was a helluva of a league last year.

Gang Green I believe you are spot on with all of your assessments. Seen most of the teams you have mentioned in one form or another and I believe the two suprises for me who can do damage in the 6A with the right draw are Haverford High and Upper Darby. Only thing with UD is they do not have much playoff experience so maybe they are a year away but Haverford should have and could have beaten Perk Valley last year correct?

They played Perk Valley in 2015. Donaghy’s last year and have lost to North Penn last two. Could have won Perk Valley game but were outmanned up front. Stumm and Jaworski were too much.

Had shot with North Penn last year but got overwhelmed at point of attack defensively. This version bigger and deeper but need to win a District game. This is their most complete team. How good they are remains to be seen over next month. Will be very good again next year.

I like Coatesville too, but as IA said in another thread, you have to play the game. Remember these are high school kids and they can surprise you. I still remember that Wissahickon (16) upset of DE (1) a few years back. Don’t underestimate the Suburban 1 and Central League teams. Anybody can be beat. We’ll see. Can’t wait.

I like Coatesville too, but as IA said in another thread, you have to play the game. Remember these are high school kids and they can surprise you. I still remember that Wissahickon (16) upset of DE (1) a few years back. Don’t underestimate the Suburban 1 and Central League teams. Anybody can be beat. We’ll see. Can’t wait.
The central league? When was the last time a 6A Central team not named Garnet Valley actually won a district playoff game? Or even scheduled a team from Sub1 or Chesmont for their non-league game?

UD I believe beat CR North in districts during Brandon McIlwains senior season. They also played State College that year for one of their non-league games. Not Sub 1 or Chesmont, but comparable to any of the heavy hitters in either league.

This is pretty bad research on you’re part delco 4 life. Haverford played unionvills this year. While they have not won a playoff game- they have had some pretty tough draws. Perk valley, coatesville and north penn. UD non league games the last few years have been state college, Wood, Middletown Delaware. This year it was MLK (yes a pub team but pretty talented) I’d take Those three over many of chesrmont/sub 1 teams you speak of. Also, UD won a playoff game as a recent as 2015.

Interesting reviews. I'll try to work out a power rating today/tomorrow that can be indicative, fun.

Ridley won a playoff game in 2016. The problem with the Central League and the non league portion of the schedule is that its only week 1-they have no other open dates. So its hard to find quality opponents that are only willing to play week one. In the past 10 years or so Ridley has opened up with Coatesville, Malvern, Bensalem, Glen Mills, Truman, Judge.

PV and SF down a notch from when they made their playoff runs several years ago. Would be surprised to see either win a playoff game, but SF might win 1 if they beat PV this week and Pottsgrove next week and get a high seed.

The only team that could beat Cville in D1 this year is Coatesville. Have seen them play 3 times this season and will see them play East next week. Penalties which lead to 3rd & longs will be the only thing that takes down the Red Raiders. Speed everywhere, defense much better than last year. Hope the final four has a couple of new faces this year. It's better for the district when it's not the same four teams.

Just curious D1, what makes you say that Coatesville defense is better this year than last? I believe numbers last year at this time were almost exactly the same if not better.

Just curious D1, what makes you say that Coatesville defense is better this year than last? I believe numbers last year at this time were almost exactly the same if not better.

Even faster than last year. Tackle better. Another year with many returning starters. Bigger, faster, stronger.

Even faster than last year. Tackle better. Another year with many returning starters. Bigger, faster, stronger.

They may tackle better, but the pass defense is not better in my opinion. The defensive line sorely misses Alex Raimondo and Avery Young was a shut down corner last year. Don't get me wrong Aaron is a good HS corner, but he's about 3-4 inches shorter than his brother. The middle of the field and flats are problematic if once they face stiffer competitions.

The only team that could beat Cville in D1 this year is Coatesville. Have seen them play 3 times this season and will see them play East next week. Penalties which lead to 3rd & longs will be the only thing that takes down the Red Raiders. Speed everywhere, defense much better than last year. Hope the final four has a couple of new faces this year. It's better for the district when it's not the same four teams.
Could get a rematch with Harrisburg.

Could get a rematch with Harrisburg.

Would that rematch be possibly in Hershey? According to the brackets, D3 is hosting the game this year. D1 will host the 5A semi-final with D3. I would think either Coatesville or Downingtown would be logical choices for that game.

Would that rematch be possibly in Hershey? According to the brackets, D3 is hosting the game this year. D1 will host the 5A semi-final with D3. I would think either Coatesville or Downingtown would be logical choices for that game.
Hard saying now per the article below. Many of the great college stadiums in D3 would be nice. Gburg College is beautiful, spacious parking right there.
http://highschoolsports.pennlive.co...all-championships-out-of-hersheypark-stadium/

I agree with the Pastor. The points Cville have given up this year was through the air. Either a long TD pass or a long pass to set up a short TD run. A lot of these points were given up when the score was already 28-0 or 35-0. But either way there are some soft spots in the Cville secondary and LBs.

Ok I mean I'm not disagreeing with you guys. I think missing 4 kids that were all league especially Avery Young and Alex Raimando, who should have been defensive player of the year hands down are missed. However, numbers are very similar almost identical. Guess the next two weeks will tell the story of of this defense is better or not. Also, if the Red Raiders defense is vulnerable to the pass, why don't teams try and throw more before it's 28-0 or 35-0. Is Young, Bryant or the Lbs even on the field at that point or is it Dbs 4 and 5 on the field. Someone said in pacing the Red Raiders have started 5 different Lbs this year and 4 different corners 3 Dends and 4 different Dts. If this is true which is hard to believe, that is pretty good depth. Curious if anyone that has any inside info can shed more light on this info. I would vote for last year's Day but this year's version appears to be playing pretty good as well.

Ok I mean I'm not disagreeing with you guys. I think missing 4 kids that were all league especially Avery Young and Alex Raimando, who should have been defensive player of the year hands down are missed. However, numbers are very similar almost identical. Guess the next two weeks will tell the story of of this defense is better or not. Also, if the Red Raiders defense is vulnerable to the pass, why don't teams try and throw more before it's 28-0 or 35-0. Is Young, Bryant or the Lbs even on the field at that point or is it Dbs 4 and 5 on the field. Someone said in pacing the Red Raiders have started 5 different Lbs this year and 4 different corners 3 Dends and 4 different Dts. If this is true which is hard to believe, that is pretty good depth. Curious if anyone that has any inside info can shed more light on this info. I would vote for last year's Day but this year's version appears to be playing pretty good as well.
I was about to post that I’d take the athletes they had on their squad any day, but if that is true (that many different kids playing), kudos to the coaches. Ortega runs a great program.

No doubt Raimondo was a monster-any defense would miss his presence. Same can be said of Young. But it takes 11.

Hard to gauge PPG, because the starters play so little in the 2nd half of most games.

AG has been running the same offense as last year, without Francis. They’ve been improving all year though, and I wasn’t expecting them to be shut out. Nice job by Coatesville D.

https://www.piaad1.org/sports/fall-sports/football/scores-and-rankings/

Updated Rankings.

Doesn't seem right that PV (7-2) is in front of D-East (8-1), East beat them pretty good. D-East may end up a 9th,10th or 11th seed (after a loss to CV). They would be a dangerous first round opponent for a higher seed.

Will be interesting to see how good D-West really is without QB Howard. Beat D-East, but barely got the win vs Shanahan. They play a decent WC East team this weekend, should give us a clue.

I would not be surprised to see Truman vs NP in Semi's.

D-1 play-offs should be very interesting.

Schedule Strength is killing them. D-East Plays (4A with 3 Win's) Shanahan, (5A 5W's) WC East, (5A 0 W) WC Henderson and (5A 3W's) Unionville. PV plays all but one 6A Team and power points kick in. PAC 10 Realignment Benefits are working. They used to get killed before with all the small school enrollment League games. Same reason Neshaminy(3 Losses) and Pennsbury(4 Losses) are ahead of a 2 loss Upper Darby Team.

So it seems like its a forgone conclusion that Coatesville will beat DEast? DEast is one of if not the best rushing offense in District 1. If they can run the ball, control the clock and make some of their own breaks like DWest did against them, they have a shot. Then they would be a top 4 seed again which I believe is where they belong. I believe you will be able to tell early if they can hang in the game. If Coatesville gets them off the field in 3, 5, 6 play drives, it will be a long night for the visitors.

So it seems like its a forgone conclusion that Coatesville will beat DEast? DEast is one of if not the best rushing offense in District 1. If they can run the ball, control the clock and make some of their own breaks like DWest did against them, they have a shot. Then they would be a top 4 seed again which I believe is where they belong. I believe you will be able to tell early if they can hang in the game. If Coatesville gets them off the field in 3, 5, 6 play drives, it will be a long night for the visitors.
DEast has played Coatesville the toughest of any division rivals especially over the last 5 years. Still doubtful East will win but they would be the team w the o and d line to match up and also have a very solid run game.

Coatesville by at least 21, I'll say 42-17...D East lacks the skill guys to hang with the Red Raiders & the Coatesvile D-line is underrated. Not big, but very strong & quick to the ball. You can't block what you can't catch. Coatesville looks focused on bigger things this year. They should cruise through DEast on the way to the playoffs.

IA, lets hear a prediction. You seem to have a lot of good insight. I agree with not_a_fan , Red Raiders will roll D-East. Just more athletes and speed. Plus, this game is for the Ches-Mont Title, a little more motivation for CV, like they need it.

CV 48-21.

This game comes down to how effective Coatesville is in getting out to a lead and its ability to stop Jounassaint. Last year, he did more damage as their H back due to us keying on Brassir Stocker. If Coatesville gets out in front and limits their rushing attack and forces them to throw more, it may be more of the same from this season. But, I believe Coach Cantafio has been keeping his powder dry for this game and quite possibly playoff matchups.

Staying at #2 or even moving to #1 in the playoff rankings is what is keeping the team focused, plus according to my son on the team, it is FEAST week and they are all fired up and focused.

Plus its senior night, and the class doesn't want to end the night like that.

My call: CV 51 DEast 28

As an aside, Hylan will get his first opportunity to kick a FG this season. Has their been a AllState kicker who has yet to try a FG? Kid is great, but hasn't been needed for FG's yet this season.

Pastor Zach and King Chesco,
I understand what you are both saying but from a motivational standpoint, Deast has just at much at stake even more. They win and they get a share of Chestmont title. They win, and they would increase their seed in District playoffs tremendously. If they lose, they are a #10 seed and most likely draw Haverford High, a team with a lot of similarities to Coatesville and they have to go to Delaware County to play the game. This game comes down to running the ball, stopping the run and clock control. If DEAST can run the ball effectively as they have all year long, anyone attending will get there $5 worth. If Coatesville can effectively stop the run and only give up 7 points in the first half, should be lights out for the Cougars.
Incidentally on a side not, Jouassaint was one of 3 backs along with Stocker and #3 last year for Deast. He was a tailback not an Hback. Deast had a regular fullback. Joussaint alternated with Stocker and #3. Honestly, I always thought Jouisssaint was there best back last year as far as running DEAST offense. He cuts really well and sees the holes very well. Glad to see he is getting credit that he didnt necessarily receive last year. He and Young are clearly the best backs in the league.

This game is going to be interesting. I was at the playoff game last year. DTown East put up around 40 some points. I feel like the East staff has the Red Raiders number. Coatesville was lucky to be winning 28-7 at the half because the East O scored at will in the second half. The second half looked like the Ville couldn't make D adjustments. If the East Coaches figure out the D early enough this one could go down to the wire.

This game is going to be interesting. I was at the playoff game last year. DTown East put up around 40 some points. I feel like the East staff has the Red Raiders number. Coatesville was lucky to be winning 28-7 at the half because the East O scored at will in the second half. The second half looked like the Ville couldn't make D adjustments. If the East Coaches figure out the D early enough this one could go down to the wire.

Coatesville scored 33 in the second half as well. Game was out of hand early and they played their 2nd/3rd string in the 4th quarter. Trust me, my son played in the 4th and was happy about it. He said he got tired of standing in the cold and was excited to get warm and play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT