ADVERTISEMENT

Coatesville at Cumberland Valley….thoughts?

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
What’s the thinking people? Here are some of my thoughts. CV has a veteran D (8), everyone back in the secondary, smaller quick guys except for S’s (hybrids) that are bangers, Maximos Dell’Anno 6-3 205, Logan Ramper 6-2 180 but athletic. 2 vet DLs in Chase Myers 6-1 295 and Wyatt Claypool 6-2 225 decent quickness at DE/LB Derek Sauve 6-0 190 and Anthony Fry 6-1 225. Conner Mundis 6-1 235 I believe is both ways as are many of the players and LB Dontey Rogan 6-1 210 is playing. Dell’Anno limping some last week.

Offensively it’s the Wing-T with a jr QB who can throw (ok accuracy), Alex Kovach 6-0 165, 1st yr. See the CV-Cent York write-up in at Mid State Ratings below. Decent spec teams especially kicking with T. Kissinger getting 28 and 42 FGs vs Cent York. Ramper a good receiver, Dell’Anno a hard runner, bright. A lot of heads up players, fundamentally sound. Not a lot of dumb penalties with CV, good tackling like Harrisburg, very confident chip-on-shoulder-team, but quiet not cocky.

Coatesville had some issues picking up backs in a few of the contests with CV; may be compounded with a Qb who can throw. I mention this occasionally with the Mid Penn Commonwealth mistakenly viewed as a run only conference. Believe that at your own peril per CV-Cent York as an eg and any of the in-conference power teams….CD, St Coll, Hburg, Chambersburg and CV. Chapman Field can be intimidating, but probably not daunting for Cville depending on their confidence level after Harrisburg? CV will be riding high beating Bishop McDevitt then the comeback under three minutes last week. Have the offense to frustrate Cville. I think a lot rides on Cville’s state of mind following Harrisburg. Should be a competitive game.

Definitely a big early season test for both teams. It seems like CV has righted the ship after an uncharacteristic losing season. The Wing-T will give a young D fits especially if the QB can keep them honest with boots and waggle. I think Coatesville will be ready after a "bye" week and definitely won't be intimidated by playing on the road in Mechanicsburg.

This will go a long way in setting up the path to the District 1 (and possibly District 3 titles). If Coatesville, loses they could be looking at losing out on home field advantage in the playoffs which is very big in HS. Meaning the path to D1 could go through Downingtown (West or East, doesn;t matter since they share Kottmeyer Stadium) Also, if CV can beat Coatesville it sets them up as a threat to Harrisburg in D3.

Should be a great game-I'll go Coatesville 24-20.

Reactions: Soup13 and Stalker
I like Coatesville in this one, especially after the bye week. Two weeks should’ve enough to prepare for CV’s Wing T. I still think Coatesville wins District 1. I think them and DTW are the two best teams in the district, but I like Coatesville a little more.

Reactions: Soup13 and Stalker
I Like CV in a close one. I think they will run the ball well and control the clock.

Reactions: Stalker
I think it stays pedestrian, bash ball, like Harrisburg minus the passing, typical CV football, grinding out drives winning something like 24-21, 28-24 tops. Unless you have an over-the-top offense like Harrisburg last two years, McDevitt 2015 (lost in state semifinal) or like Coatesville the last two years....unless you have that kind of an offense, few games get away from CV at home. CV cannot turnover. Wildcards are their passing Qb that is difficult to prep for with a Wing-T team and spec-teams, their strong FG kicker, Kissinger.
**** Not sure Cville benefits from the break this time of year. Week 6-7, ok, you need it. You don't need a break after losing your home opener; rather keep playing. Like Cville-Hburg, the two know each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soup13
Is there any chance , with a loss here , that Cville does not make the playoffs! They could also lose to both Downingtowns and end up 6-4? Just thinking ahead.

I don’t think there’s a chance they lose to DTE. They are way more talented than them.

Is there any chance , with a loss here , that Cville does not make the playoffs! They could also lose to both Downingtowns and end up 6-4? Just thinking ahead.

Not impossible, IF they lose 4. Plus they will only be 5-4 with the bye. Last year 6-4 OJR and 5-4 H-H missed the playoffs. But 5-5 Pennsbury got in, so maybe Coatesville SOS still gets them in at 5-4.

Coatesville is very young this year. They have only 2 returning starters on O. They are lucky to have West and East at the end of the year. This will allow those inexperienced players to grow before those two big games. They have already made some strides with only having one penalty on O against CV. That is a huge improvement over week ones 15 penalties.

Coatesville is very young this year. They have only 2 returning starters on O. They are lucky to have West and East at the end of the year. This will allow those inexperienced players to grow before those two big games. They have already made some strides with only having one penalty on O against CV. That is a huge improvement over week ones 15 penalties.
I thought Coatesville had Santiago and another lineman back on O Line? Either way they have tons to replace both sides besides the massive loss of Young at RB. Wouldn’t surprise me if they lost another game or two. Drowns look really strong. WC East is really good and Shanahan has been known to sneak up on the big 3.

I have a buddy of mine who’s kid is a player at Coatesville. From what I hear everyone on the oline is a first year starter. He told me and from what I see is the linebacker play from the defense has been phenomenal! Ortega brought in a new linebacker coach Jim “wild man” Limper who has ties with Shawn Stratz the dc from the Prep they go back to old North Catholic days.

I thought Coatesville had Santiago and another lineman back on O Line? Either way they have tons to replace both sides besides the massive loss of Young at RB. Wouldn’t surprise me if they lost another game or two. Drowns look really strong. WC East is really good and Shanahan has been known to sneak up on the big 3.

Cross Shanahan out of sneaking up on anyone...

Come on Busch... it took until 1:00am come up w that response? Obviously not a Shanahan grad!
Talk about a drifting post; from Coats-CV to Shanahan!? It's going to be a heck of a district playoff in D3. I haven't seen anyone better than Wilson and Manheim Township unless it St Joe's. And after last night vs IMG, they may able to keep up with them too!

Come on Busch... it took until 1:00am come up w that response? Obviously not a Shanahan grad!

You’re correct on both ends, I’ll give you that. My mind was just at a stand still with you trying to make them relevant in the division.

Props to playing up and not dodging like WCSD, but you are grasping at straws.

Cheers,

Busch

You’re correct on both ends, I’ll give you that. My mind was just at a stand still with you trying to make them relevant in the division.

Cheers,

Busch
Haven't seen particulars but on the face of it, how did they lose to an 0-3 AG team? Interesting seeing how they recover and where AG goes from here.

Cheers,

Busch[/QUOTE
I think you misinterpreted my comment. I certainly don’t expect Shanahan to win the Chesmont anytime soon and they will take a beating from Coatesville and the Dtowns but they certainly have many times played one of these teams very tough making it much closer. BTW.. we must of recruited those academic kids who won the state STEM last year!

Haven't seen particulars but on the face of it, how did they lose to an 0-3 AG team? Interesting seeing how they recover and where AG goes from here.
Come on Stalker. Avon Grove played some tough teams those first 3 losses. OJ is 4-0, Bonner is 2-1 losing to a very good Neumann team and Perk Valley is very strong. I think Shanahan could still be favorite to win District 1 4A

No dis to AG but if you consider them good teams (PV, BP, OJR) simply because their W/L is +.500, you look at it differently than I do. Losing to Perk Val, Bonner and OJR by a cum of 23-70 are "good" losses....??….or in any way indicating that would thump Shanahan 43-14!?

As I said above...……..
"Interesting seeing how they recover and where AG goes from here." What, you disagree with that? You lost me on that one Chest.

Kudos for Shanahan stepping up and playing with the Big Boys year in and year out. However, they are not a very good football team. They were not a good football team last year either. Could they be better, yes. Should they be better, yes. Are they poorly coached, ABSOLUTELY!

Reactions: 4i tech
Feedback welcomed and agreed Shanahan could play better. They’d have to take a St Joes Prep approach in football to have a chance of competing for the league title or going far in states which won’t happen w the current administration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT