ADVERTISEMENT

Chester

newport

Nov 22, 2002
How serious are the Clippers this year? 5 and 0. They have outscored opponents 233-10 and have 3 shutouts. Frosh QB has already thrown for a school record 20 tds. Are they a legit D1 5A contender? 4 basically lopsided wins against underwhelming teams but also a 33-0 win over a decent Interboro team at Interboro. Pafootballnews has them ranked 7th, right behind Malvern(5) and Imhotep(6) and ahead of Roman(8) and Cathedral Prep(9)

How serious are the Clippers this year? 5 and 0. They have outscored opponents 233-10 and have 3 shutouts. Frosh QB has already thrown for a school record 20 tds. Are they a legit D1 5A contender? 4 basically lopsided wins against underwhelming teams but also a 33-0 win over a decent Interboro team at Interboro. Pafootballnews has them ranked 7th, right behind Malvern(5) and Imhotep(6) and ahead of Roman(8) and Cathedral Prep(9)
Not a believer yet. Ahead of Roman and Cathedral Prep ---No Way

Reactions: Stalker
Schedule has been weak and will be weak until they play downingtown. The first 6 teams they played have a total of 9 wins. Their best win coming against Interboro. They can put up points but have done so by throwing the ball like crazy when up 40/50/60 points. There’s a way to win and a way not to win. When Chester was awful - not too long ago- I can’t remember anyone running the score up on them like they’ve done against these teams. With that said- they’re doing something right up there. Community support, kids buying into the program, and it seems like athletes staying in or moving into Chester.

Reactions: lilromeo
Chester is definitely on to something but lets not get carried away until they beat a legit team. Wins against Central, Bartram, Phoenixville, WC East, and Interboro are nice but other than Interboro (4A) none of those teams will be contenders for playoff runs. What's more impressive than the points is that they are shutting teams out while being so far ahead.

Good for that community to have a team that's bringing some positivity. Seems like they have been on the right track recently. For what it's worth, D1 5A is pretty good across the board and should be more competitive than 6A. My money's on either Strath Haven or Upper Dublin but would love to see the Clippers make a run.

I worked in Chester for 16 years where they live and die for basketball. And football was NEVER a priority. You've got to go back decades when there was a big game that was Chester vs St. James. Both had good teams, while the Bulldogs had a few awesome teams.

When you think of Chester, think of present-day Kentucky who is analogous being a basketball school steeped in tradition with new-found success on the gridiron. Hopefully they're a few college FB fans on the board.

About the team; you can do some linkage to see they're at least a mid-rung 5A.

Stalk -

'Skins played Chester in 1958 and then and '60, '61 and '62.

It seems the Clippers had a couple of decent years and teams back in the day. I'm not so sure about their overall record when Neshaminy picked them up during those four years (that was when the LBC split into two divisions which saw Langhorne scrambling in the early 1960s to fill their schedule and which is what led to the Big 6, 7 and 8 leagues -- with the Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown crowd -- from 1964 to 1975).

Reactions: Stalker
Billy Whiteshoes Johnson Era
The Clips have been playing good basketball since....?....at least back to HACC-PSU days in Harrisburg when a punch of us would go to the Farm Show Arena or Hershey (before Giant Ctr) seeing them in the playoffs, often against Steel High or Reading who have also fielded great teams for decades.

Chester will be playing penn wood this week and that will mark 3 straight weeks of playing winless teams. I’m not sure I have ever seen that before- at the high school or college level.

Not a believer yet. Ahead of Roman and Cathedral Prep ---No Way
Or Imhotep. I think after cathedral preps 41-0 win over McDowell there's a good chance we will see another prep and tep finals. Chester is a tear down from those 3 teams.

First real test coming up this week vs DTown West. Any chance they keep it close? Will they be exposed as a team taking advantage of an historically easy schedule to start the year?

I think this question needs to be looked at in several parts. One would be health. Is Chester’s Qb healthy enough to play tomorrow evening? I believe I read somewhere he missed the second half of last weeks game due to a possible head injury?
Second, if Qb is healthy I definitely think Chester will gain yards and be able to put points on the board. Offensively, they will be fine.
Third, defense could be a problem. Not because Chester doesn’t have a good defense so much as they have no experience playing against DWest. Chester will see a lot of formations with motions and shifts and pass patterns that take advantage of regular Cover 3 and man defenses. If you haven’t seen them before, they are a bitch to get ready for.
Four, special teams return game. Punt return and kick return are probably the strongest group West has had since ‘19. Can’t give them a crease.
All in all if I were staying in Chester County tomorrow night, I would head to Kottemeyer to see this one.

First real test coming up this week vs DTown West. Any chance they keep it close? Will they be exposed as a team taking advantage of an historically easy schedule to start the year?
Chester already passed a test at Interboro, shutting out the Bucs 33-0 whereas D-West lost 30-29 at Perk Val. Both played Henderson and WC East, DW winning 96-20, Chester 63-0.

I think this question needs to be looked at in several parts. One would be health. Is Chester’s Qb healthy enough to play tomorrow evening? I believe I read somewhere he missed the second half of last weeks game due to a possible head injury?
Second, if Qb is healthy I definitely think Chester will gain yards and be able to put points on the board. Offensively, they will be fine.
Third, defense could be a problem. Not because Chester doesn’t have a good defense so much as they have no experience playing against DWest. Chester will see a lot of formations with motions and shifts and pass patterns that take advantage of regular Cover 3 and man defenses. If you haven’t seen them before, they are a bitch to get ready for.
Four, special teams return game. Punt return and kick return are probably the strongest group West has had since ‘19. Can’t give them a crease.
All in all if I were staying in Chester County tomorrow night, I would head to Kottemeyer to see this one.
I'll be taking the ten-minute ride to see Chester in person. Whippets win 41-27. This has the potential if Chester takes care of the ball and minimizes penalties to be a good one, but I think West presents a different level of offensive execution and skill, & superior special teams than Chester has seen this year. .

It is great to see Chester football on the upswing. They gave Coatesville everything they could handle last year.

Chester was a few points (2 Tds) from being 10-1 last year. Plus they've traveled the last few making this setting no big deal, not after stretching Coatesville out last year as mentioned. They'll get/see some new looks at Dtown as IA suggested....and Dtown will see some speed they typically don't encounter, barring Coats.
I wouldn't be surprised if they won or made it a real tight game. Qb health is obviously key.

Penalty filled mess of a game. Chester has a really nice squad.

Update: 37 penalties for 325 yards. Refs needed PT for their shoulders after that one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT