ADVERTISEMENT

Chesmont2 - Thoughts on Cville - DWest game?

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
Dtown seems to have the line and solid defense along w the other things. Should give us an idea who is the league front runner. I still think the big 3 all could have 1 loss of more after league play.

Dynamic offenses, will be fun. C-ville sched has been light to date so difficult to measure the impact of the loss of key players from last year's team but they replenish pretty darn well.

Last edited:
Haven't seen Cville yet this year but I pretty much know what I;m getting there with Jordan and now his two little brothers out there tearing it up. I hear the 9th grader is even more impressive. I've seen West all four games and the offense is better than last years which is saying something. Riddick sat out most of the Kennett game with some sort of injury (foot?), hopefully he's healthy for Sat. Barr is fast, shifty and just a nightmare to cover out of the backfield. Thomas is just plain fun to watch and stats wise is having a phenomenal year so far. The defense has been solid for the most part. LB's Harper and Myers will have to play well to contain Jordan, keep him from escaping the pocket and keep his runs to a minimum. If they do that they can win. I wouldn't be surprised either if DTE, DTW and Cville all ended up with a loss from beating each other. Nice to be a HS football fan in this area with these three programs all on a roll right now.

Ha!!..good question. In a rivalry game like this one, throw everything out the window!

Downingtown essentially brings back last year’s team excepting new QB Thomas Mattioni with a vet backfield of Barr, Riddick. Most of last year’s receivers are gone but Barr, Riddick are excellent receivers, well integrated into the system. They return something like 18-19 starters, almost all the defense. QB Mattioni isn’t like McNulty who could really wing it. Mattioni can throw it but has more running skills, kind of like Pagel two years ago so that will be a factor for Coatesville to contend with especially with good receivers coming out of the backfield. Downingtown will present a lot of problems for most teams being diverse and having the size to bang with anyone.
Coatesville has the best duel threat QB around in Jordan Young, a game changer running or passing. Big dude at 6-3, 215-220. But the skill is new in soph WR Avery Young, frosh RB Aaron Young, Jordan’s brothers. The line returns G, C and TE with this year’s edition considered a team strength, highly regarded by Coach Ortega. The defense is veteran along the line, great size, also return returning 1 LB and 1 CB so they’re vulnerable there particularly with Mattioni’s scrambling skills.
Schedule-other: Edge to Downingtown at Kottmeyer, some revenge factor losing 47-33 last year. Downingtown hasn’t played a hard opponent since Neshaminy 3 weeks ago, routing Mifllin Cty 42-14 and Kennett 61-20 (Kennett!?) last week. Coatesville is coming off Roman and Henderson last week. Polar opposite of West but had to play a disciplined game last week facing Henderson’s triple option. Will need that discipline this week. Young presents some of those threats as well. At a neutral field, I’d toss is up but at Kottmeyer with their veterans, I’d lean to Downingtown. Heck of a game!

Dtown will have home field and experience edge but its certainly never in the bag w Chesmont League games. many former DYW and Cville kid raiders will be colliding for the 8, 9 or 10th year. Hope for a classic here. I still think DTE is the league front runner. The big lineman put a hurting on North Penn and will do the same to the league opponents too. DTE is very well rounded w few weaknesses.

I do think that DTE is the front runner although I wouldn't put as much credence on the NP win. It was much closer than expected.

Zip - I attended the DTE - NP game. The game was close in score but in all do reality DTE should easily had 7 probably 14 points on the board. On top of it DTE physically beat up NP that game. I think I lost count after they took the 5th NP player off. I put stock in that game as NP has been at the top of D1 for the last 10 years. No disrespect to NP but DTE needs to tighten up on ball handling not to make games as close.

Reactions: Zipline33
NP has a tremendous RB in West. When he was on the sidelines NP is certainly a much different team. The other RBs are good and so is the QB but West is the key guy and helps the others games. It wouldn't surprise me if NP tightens up ship as they always do and they will be there at the end. I don't mean to disrespect them but calling the game like I saw it.

Watched a little Downingtown today. Wow was very impressed with their QB, very good athlete. On defense I think their 34 is very vulnerable. I hope this is a good game!!

D1, if you like points, it will be a very very good game although I believe West's D (3-4) is a vast improvement from last year.

I think it's going to be a close game, and I think the more disciplined team will take it. Which means I think D West will win. Coatesville can get away with 13 penalties against Henderson and still win by 2 TD's, but they can't do that against a West team that is a lot better than Henderson. I say 28-24 West with experience and discipline winning it for them.

I'll be at Kottmeyer for this one. Two good QBs facing off in the first big ChesMont game of the season. West's speed won't look as impressive with the Red Raiders flying around, so the Whippets will have to grind it out. I like the Whippets by 5 in a close one - Riddick too much to tackle for 4 quarters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT