ADVERTISEMENT

Central League?

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
Who is the favorite to win the league and why? Many of the Central posters have dropped: Haverford guy, Beef from Ridley and the Delco Times sports writer who supported Ridley are no longer on? Speed.. Can you give us your overview? thanks

I watched Springfield / Interboro game this past week. Springfield has a nice D!! Great addition at the MLB spot with the Bonner transfer Tom Becker he was on just about every tackle. There offense needs some work they were in the redzone twice and did not put the ball up to there 6-6 TE. They only threw the ball to him once. They need to get him involved more in the offense.
This Fri will be a test they play Ridley. Ridley I hear has a good D also.

For what it's worth I'll give a thumb nail sketch of the contenders

Springfield.- they are well coached and very good defensively. But they lost a lot if speed from last year , and their top playmakers on both offense and defense. Their style of play was to keep it close going into the 4 th quarter and let one of those playmakers make plays. They followed the same script on Saturday in beating an average Interboro team 14-9 after being behind 0-9 going into the 4 th q. I don't think they have enough playmakers to keep doing that and run the table like they did last year. But their d should keep them in every game.

garnet valley - they will have their typical formula in 100 guys/2 platoon and wear you down in the 4th quarter. However , very raw at the QB position and their top RB is out with a concussion. In addition , I'm not crazy about their two platoon system I'm which all the good athletes play offense , leaving the defense with the leftovers. Gave up 37 to Unionville so nothing really has changed. If the RB gets healthy, they will score points , but they will give up points too. The QB will have to give them something it they hope to our score everyone.

Ridley - very solid defensively, built similar to Springfield, although I think they have a better offensive line and slightly better skill players than Springfield. I'm hoping after last weekend they will settle on one QB moving forward instead of rotating a quarter at a time. If they settle on the junior QB and let him manage the game and grow , he can make more plays athletically. They have a plus kicker this year who puts the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs and is a FG threat from 40 on in. That can only help in what I expect will be very low scoring games throughout the league. They play Springfield this week, and although not a league game and it has no bearing on who wins the title , we will know more about both teams after this one.

Conestoga - they have what the three teams above do not have-a very very good QB And they have an experience coaching staff that knows how to use him. In a QB starved league , their QB is the wild card. They are also probably more balanced on both sides of the ball than any of the first three teams , but they have no other star players other than the QB. So as the QB goes , so goes Stoga.

Upper Darby- probably the most athletic team in the league, they also return a decent run/throw threat at QB. Since going to the spread offense a few years ago , they've averaged well over 30 puts a game against ordinary competition, yet struggled offensively against the top tier Cebtral Leafue teams. In addition , they have a coaching staff that has been around 20+ years without once winning a title. Even their very good teams seem to inexplicably stumble once or twice a year , and I don't see that changing this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT