ADVERTISEMENT

CBW vs CBS

HSFB99

Oct 4, 2020
Two undefeated teams atop of District 1 going at it tonight. I’ve seen West a few times, but I’ve only seen highlights of South. Based on reports, I’d make West the slight favorite. Bucks, I’d love your take on this one. Thanks. Looking forward to a great game.

Two undefeated teams atop of District 1 going at it tonight. I’ve seen West a few times, but I’ve only seen highlights of South. Based on reports, I’d make West the slight favorite. Bucks, I’d love your take on this one. Thanks. Looking forward to a great game.
Should be a great one and the biggest SOL crowd since the same matchup in 2019. Very similar teams, both have very mobile QBs and both want to principally run the ball… exclusively if they could. South has a significant size advantage up front on both sides of the ball, but the West D-line has been very very good. They are fast and athletic and will have to play at a very high level to counter a big South o-line which is their best unit on the field and has mauled everyone to date. West o-line is undersized but has obviously done a fantastic job so far. I don’t see South shutting down the West run game, it’ll be a matter of can they force West into some passing situations that West would rather not be in. (South doesn’t want to be throwing it regularly either)

To me the game swings on:

1. South big o-line vs West athletic d-line. No one has slowed down the South run game this year, but no one has run on West at all either. Something has to give.

2. How healthy is West? 4 senior defensive starters were in street clothes vs Pennridge.

3. McFadden has scored a bunch of dynamic TDs this year, on very few actual touches. Can South stop him without over adjusting to the point that QB Taylor and HB Clemens have big games?

This one could be an instant classic.

Reactions: lilromeo
And obviously the winner clinches at least a share of the conference title and is the number one seed in the district if they win the following week.

Thanks buddy. I appreciate your insight.

I have noticed CBW’s DL (specifically the DTs) are very undersized. On offense, I like that they have put McFadden in the backfield to get him some more guaranteed touches. I’d imagine in the big games (like tonight and in the playoffs) that package will be more extensive.

With both of these teams relying on the run game, it will be important to jump out to a lead. If someone can get up by two scores, the other will have a difficult time coming back by leaning on their passing attack.

Reactions: bucksftball
hey guys- this looks like a massive 6A matchup- can one of these schools go far on state playoffs? Would the d1 district champ face SJP maybe in semis?

I’d say winning District 1 IS going far in the playoffs considering it puts you directly in the state semi-finals. However, you are correct they’d presumably (unless LaSalle can pull off the upset) face SJP. I can’t speak for all District 1 teams, but CBW and CBS would be mercy-ruled (perhaps in the first half) by SJP.

Thanks buddy. I appreciate your insight.

I have noticed CBW’s DL (specifically the DTs) are very undersized. On offense, I like that they have put McFadden in the backfield to get him some more guaranteed touches. I’d imagine in the big games (like tonight and in the playoffs) that package will be more extensive.

With both of these teams relying on the run game, it will be important to jump out to a lead. If someone can get up by two scores, the other will have a difficult time coming back by leaning on their passing attack.
Agreed, fall behind tonight and the other team will take the air out of the ball. They’ve done a nice job getting the ball into McFadden’s hands in creative ways. I’d assume that as they play these big games going forward his touches will go up. The two DTs are young, junior and sophomore but have been terrific. One DE is a senior but the other

And obviously the winner clinches at least a share of the conference title and is the number one seed in the district if they win the following week.
Bucks, is this at a neutral site? Looks like an even game unless South's big OL just manhandles them, eats clock and pounds away. That Qb (Pinkerton) can scamper and could make a difference if no TOs.
Weird that neither has played a real monster team. But, sign of the times with Neshaminy, North Penn and Pennsbury mere shadows of themselves. Even Abington. Who'd a thunk that a few years ago?

Bucks, is this at a neutral site? Looks like an even game unless South's big OL just manhandles them, eats clock and pounds away. That Qb (Pinkerton) can scamper and could make a difference if no TOs.
Weird that neither has played a real monster team. But, sign of the times with Neshaminy, North Penn and Pennsbury mere shadows of themselves. Even Abington. Who'd a thunk that a few years ago?
No, it’s at War Memorial at West. Definitely a weird year, although to their credit, both teams handled the SOL competition fairly easily. If there’s a difference, it’s that South gave up more on the ground to Pennsbury and NP. No idea how it’ll all play out. Like you said, games like these usually turn on special teams or turnovers.

Should be a great one and the biggest SOL crowd since the same matchup in 2019. Very similar teams, both have very mobile QBs and both want to principally run the ball… exclusively if they could. South has a significant size advantage up front on both sides of the ball, but the West D-line has been very very good. They are fast and athletic and will have to play at a very high level to counter a big South o-line which is their best unit on the field and has mauled everyone to date. West o-line is undersized but has obviously done a fantastic job so far. I don’t see South shutting down the West run game, it’ll be a matter of can they force West into some passing situations that West would rather not be in. (South doesn’t want to be throwing it regularly either)

To me the game swings on:

1. South big o-line vs West athletic d-line. No one has slowed down the South run game this year, but no one has run on West at all either. Something has to give.

2. How healthy is West? 4 senior defensive starters were in street clothes vs Pennridge.

3. McFadden has scored a bunch of dynamic TDs this year, on very few actual touches. Can South stop him without over adjusting to the point that QB Taylor and HB Clemens have big games?

This one could be an instant classic.
Clemens could definitely be the difference ,both running and his kicking. Go Bucks !!!!!!!

21-7 West after 1Q. A lot more offense than I was expecting coming into the game.

West looks good. Only critique early is 10 playing too much D might come back to bite them in the long run against better comp. Yes, I know he was a S prior to the QB injury.

West answers to make it 34-21 at the end of the 3rd.
West just executes so well. Having both Mcfadden and Clemens in the backfield gives them many options ,in addition to Taylor. All 3 are threats. Their undersized line is relentless . This is a fun team to watch. Clemens is my MVP .

I’d say winning District 1 IS going far in the playoffs considering it puts you directly in the state semi-finals. However, you are correct they’d presumably (unless LaSalle can pull off the upset) face SJP. I can’t speak for all District 1 teams, but CBW and CBS would be mercy-ruled (perhaps in the first half) by SJP.
Last few years one of the main difference I see in the semis is size. GV ran the table in district 1 but was overpowered in the semis mainly due to size up front. To hear that west is small up front gives me worries that it will be the same this year. No matter who they’ll play. Baring some crazy adjustments from lasalle it looks like sjp again. This is SJP’s biggest line in quite some time. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. Couple that with speed, running any variation of wing T and you’re playing into their hands.

Last few years one of the main difference I see in the semis is size. GV ran the table in district 1 but was overpowered in the semis mainly due to size up front. To hear that west is small up front gives me worries that it will be the same this year. No matter who they’ll play. Baring some crazy adjustments from lasalle it looks like sjp again. This is SJP’s biggest line in quite some time. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. Couple that with speed, running any variation of wing T and you’re playing into their hands.
Unfortunately I think everyone will be a huge underdog against prep this year and next. They have way to much talent and will continue to bring it in. I'll be pulling for west but does west even have any D1 kids? Plus a lot of west kids I assume goes both ways? Unfortunately I think they get mercy ruled if they play prep.

West just executes so well. Having both Mcfadden and Clemens in the backfield gives them many options ,in addition to Taylor. All 3 are threats. Their undersized line is relentless . This is a fun team to watch. Clemens is my MVP .
Totally agree about Clemens. He doesn’t get the headlines but I believe he’s over 1000 yards while sharing touches with Taylor and McFadden, does a ton of hard work between the tackles, and is also one of the best kickers in D1. He’s also very solid on D when he’s called on.

Unfortunately I think everyone will be a huge underdog against prep this year and next. They have way to much talent and will continue to bring it in. I'll be pulling for west but does west even have any D1 kids? Plus a lot of west kids I assume goes both ways? Unfortunately I think they get mercy ruled if they play prep.
Left tackle Mulligan has a couple of FCS offers, McFadden has committed to Navy I believe for track, but they wanted him for football also, and held an Army football offer too. Jack Williams at DE has stated in articles that he’s putting off his decision to play in college until after the season, but he’s definitely an FCS prospect. Injured QB Cooper was a D1 prospect at safety and could have perhaps gotten QB interest too if he played this year.

I think the reality is that D1 teams have to have two goals: 1. Win your league. 2. Win the district. Ches-mont and SOL can be a minefield depending on the year, and you have to play in some very physical games against teams that might not have good records, but whose kids will give you a good fight on Friday night. So you build your team to win against other D1 teams and then the D1 winner goes out and does their best against the Prep. I agree that where Wing-t / Veer type offenses break down is in the face of vastly superior talent. It’s a great equalizer against teams that are more talented, but only to a point. Once you start losing most of your individual battles it falls apart. The problem is that it allows teams like West / GV to win their league and compete in the district, so it’s still the best solution for their program, and they’re certainly not competing against Prep any better by being a spread team and trying to beat them at their own game.

I think the reality is that D1 teams have to have two goals: 1. Win your league. 2. Win the district. Ches-mont and SOL can be a minefield depending on the year, and you have to play in some very physical games against teams that might not have good records, but whose kids will give you a good fight on Friday night. So you build your team to win against other D1 teams and then the D1 winner goes out and does their best against the Prep. I agree that where Wing-t / Veer type offenses break down is in the face of vastly superior talent. It’s a great equalizer against teams that are more talented, but only to a point. Once you start losing most of your individual battles it falls apart. The problem is that it allows teams like West / GV to win their league and compete in the district, so it’s still the best solution for their program, and they’re certainly not competing against Prep any better by being a spread team and trying to beat them at their own game.
In addition ,as already mentioned several key players go both ways. Depth is an issue when going against teams like the prep for sure. Im enjoying the ride . To see War Memorial full and rocking is a reminder of the Pettine years.

The reality is MAYBE one player (two max) on CBW would start for SJP. I’m assuming the OT would crack the starting lineup and maybe McFadden somewhere? Although it’s tough to say considering SJP has 2 or 3 D1 WRs?

With that said, scheme really doesn’t matter at that point. Last year everyone hammered GV because of their offense. Do you really think the game would be any different if they spread them out? SJP is vastly more talented at 10/11 starting positions (and the talent gap at the one CBW might better at isn’t very wide at all). Coaching, scheme, etc is semantics when the talent gap is that wide.

I know it may sound like I am “dissing” SJP, but I promise you I am not. They are just operating under rules that are a little different than CBW. SJP has elite coaching on top of elite talent. Maybe next year (or 2-3 years down the road the gap will close). Personally, I think the D1 rep vs LaSalle would be a competitive game in most years. SJP is just on a different level right now. This is why I am for not separating (and see the NJ result of separation). I’m hopeful the gap may close some day.

The reality is MAYBE one player (two max) on CBW would start for SJP. I’m assuming the OT would crack the starting lineup and maybe McFadden somewhere? Although it’s tough to say considering SJP has 2 or 3 D1 WRs?

With that said, scheme really doesn’t matter at that point. Last year everyone hammered GV because of their offense. Do you really think the game would be any different if they spread them out? SJP is vastly more talented at 10/11 starting positions (and the talent gap at the one CBW might better at isn’t very wide at all). Coaching, scheme, etc is semantics when the talent gap is that wide.

I know it may sound like I am “dissing” SJP, but I promise you I am not. They are just operating under rules that are a little different than CBW. SJP has elite coaching on top of elite talent. Maybe next year (or 2-3 years down the road the gap will close). Personally, I think the D1 rep vs LaSalle would be a competitive game in most years. SJP is just on a different level right now. This is why I am for not separating (and see the NJ result of separation). I’m hopeful the gap may close some day.
I agree and it's not just district one it's the rest of the state as well. I think prep will be just as good next year especially with the transfers from Roman and new Jersey (both juniors and top rivals 200 players.) I don't foresee prep having any down years with what they are able to do and bring in. It is what it is.

West looks great, but a SJP matchup does not.

Exactly, and the reality is when you do that thought experiment... what if GV runs the spread? They're not even getting to the semis, probably not getting very far in D1 either. They do what they need to do to win the Central and compete for the District. There's an awareness required to look at your roster, your community, and say "we can't just go 4 wide and sling it around" because we don't have those 4 receivers, so what do I run that will let us compete with everyone else in my area?

Crazy McFadden season stats that were posted yesterday by the West alumni. 30 Carries on the season, 450 yards and 10 TDs. Scores every third time he has touched it on the ground. And he's not taking handoffs on the 1 and running dive for TDs.

Crazy McFadden season stats that were posted yesterday by the West alumni. 30 Carries on the season, 450 yards and 10 TDs. Scores every third time he has touched it on the ground. And he's not taking handoffs on the 1 and running dive for TDs.
Clemens over 1000 yds and Taylor at 980 to complement Mcfadden. These guys can run.

Bucks: am I crazy to think CBW can be just as good (potentially slightly better) next year? By my count, they’ll return a ton of starters, headlined by Clemens. Of course the losses of McFadden, Mulligan and Williams are massive. But, they are going to return a ton of quality experience. What do you think?

Bucks: am I crazy to think CBW can be just as good (potentially slightly better) next year? By my count, they’ll return a ton of starters, headlined by Clemens. Of course the losses of McFadden, Mulligan and Williams are massive. But, they are going to return a ton of quality experience. What do you think?
I'd say with what is coming back on the o-line, d-line, LBs and HB, it should be another good year. Besides those you mentioned, all of the starting secondary needs to be replaced. Not sure at this point who all the candidates are for the different openings, but I'm sure they can find another tackle somewhere to develop. Nice to have to only replace one offensive lineman.

Devin McGowan exploded against CB South for two big plays... we've seen hints of his speed on some kickoff returns and spot appearances in the secondary, so he's the heir apparent to McFadden. (Who is obviously irreplaceable) The backup QB has filled in really well defensively after they lost Matt Cleland, so we at least know he's athletic and tough. The D-line will only lose Williams so they will be expected to again be the best unit in the SOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT