ADVERTISEMENT

CBW - Coatesville

HSFB99

Oct 4, 2020
Bucks, were you able to catch this game? I missed it. I always look forward to your analysis. How did west look? How about coatesville? Thanks.

I saw the whole game, I'll write it up tomorrow in depth. Coatesville looked very good, West not so much, but were uncharacteristically sloppy at times. I think West will be fine going forward, but they ran into a buzz saw tonight.

Reactions: lilromeo and HSFB99
Bucks, were you able to catch this game? I missed it. I always look forward to your analysis. How did west look? How about coatesville? Thanks.
Here's my takeaways:

1. Obviously Coatesville was the better team, with more talent at almost every position. QB is the real deal, not as much of a running threat as Ortega was, but strong, accurate arm on his deep balls. RB was quick and shifty and had a few runs where he broke multiple tackles. West tackling was poor.
2. West is still a young team and it showed at times. Two bad first half fumbles gave Coatesville short fields and they shot themselves in the foot with two bad penalties that stopped drives when they were moving the ball.
3. Cooper threw a couple of good balls but had a fumble where the ball just slipped out of his hand when he brought it back to throw... he also missed a swing pass to Boehm where he was wide open with a lot of green to run.
4. West backs ran hard - haven't seen a box score but I'm sure they were over 200 yards rushing... needed 300 though to be competitive, don't think I saw a single negative rushing play, but when you are a run heavy team, you can't: commit penalties, fumble the ball
5. Young CBs got burned a couple times on nice throws. Look for them to get better, plus their best DB (senior) is on suspension for the first two games because of an ejection at the end of last season. That will be a big plus in week 3.
6. LaSalle transfer McFadden had a nice debut, with a good contested catch over the middle and almost breaking a kickoff for a TD. (that'll be a strength this year with he and Boehm deep on kickoff return. Teams are going to start squibbing is my guess) Also made a great catch on a ball thrown a full yard out of bounds while trying to drag a toe but was just out of bounds. If Cooper can get in synch with him... he can be one of the most explosive players in the SOL.
7. I think Coatesville is top three in D1 based on results from around the area... (North Penn and Garnet Valley being the other 2) West not in that class right now.
8. West won't face another team of that caliber until week 8 against North Penn. I expect them to win more than they lose in the meantime and put up some really big rushing numbers in the process. Coatesville was getting gashed at the point of attack at times, but they have the team speed to limit those runs to short gains. A team with lesser talent will have a long day against West.

Reactions: HSFB99 and lilromeo
Game was over by half 28-0. OL looked good tackle to tackle, pushed CV back when they ran inside for study yards and that's with CV all in the box, Not able to block the DE so no running game outside. If West wants to run outside have to work on blocking the DE in. Team is in good physical condition but needs to hit the weight room to compete at this level, Cut out the turnovers and they should do ok, looks like the division is weak.

Game was over by half 28-0. OL looked good tackle to tackle, pushed CV back when they ran inside for study yards and that's with CV all in the box, Not able to block the DE so no running game outside. If West wants to run outside have to work on blocking the DE in. Team is in good physical condition but needs to hit the weight room to compete at this level, Cut out the turnovers and they should do ok, looks like the division is weak.
A bit surprising, thought they were coached up and had some players. Aren’t there X Pennsbury coaches there now? Those kids down in Levittown were one tough group in the day. I don’t think Ridge ever got the better of those teams.

A bit surprising, thought they were coached up and had some players. Aren’t there X Pennsbury coaches there now? Those kids down in Levittown were one tough group in the day. I don’t think Ridge ever got the better of those teams.
No, the Pennsbury guys didn't work out and I don't believe were ever at a practice. I expected more from them this week, but they are not good enough to compete at that level when they're turning the ball over and backing themselves up with penalties.

Reactions: solfootballfan
What happened with the Pennsbury guys? Wasn’t Snyder supposed to be the OC this year?

What happened with the Pennsbury guys? Wasn’t Snyder supposed to be the OC this year?
He was, with his son being a position coach. I don't know the exact particulars, but it sounds like all the personalities didn't mesh. Dave Sanderson continued as the OC.

Reactions: lilromeo
Thanks Bucks, had no ideas. But West should get better if they run a tight system as those teams start surging later on. Shame on personalities stopping a good thing as
It’s always good to get different perspectives on everything. Strong leaders encourage different opinions but insist to tow the line once a decision is made. Anyhow….

Fun to finally see FB back!

Who you got now that we have a glimpse?

NP, Coatsville, GV, as the D1 Favorites?

Reactions: lilromeo
Thanks Bucks, had no ideas. But West should get better if they run a tight system as those teams start surging later on. Shame on personalities stopping a good thing as
It’s always good to get different perspectives on everything. Strong leaders encourage different opinions but insist to tow the line once a decision is made. Anyhow….

Fun to finally see FB back!

Who you got now that we have a glimpse?

NP, Coatsville, GV, as the D1 Favorites?
Agreed they'll get better as the year goes on, because of the system as you said and also because they are still young and the young guys will come along with some experience.

Yes, based only on week one... those three have to be the early favorites in D1. Most impressive win goes to GV, but we'll see how it goes the next few weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT