ADVERTISEMENT

Can eight man football make it?

myboyblue62

Oct 30, 2016
Recently I spoke with a head coach of a small program, Single A. This program dropped football last year due to injuries for the season. He told me they are going to play eight man football this coming year. If your not familiar, it's the same but just no offensive tackles. Still five skill guys but fewer lineman.
Around the country small rural schools have played this brand of football for years.
With teams, not all, struggling to field 35 to 40 players yearly could this keep our sport alive?

I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. Could be fun, maybe more wide open and yet still football.
This will not be popular with everyone. Anything that keeps our young kids playing a sport I believe in, and love, works for me.

Save football?

Recently I spoke with a head coach of a small program, Single A. This program dropped football last year due to injuries for the season. He told me they are going to play eight man football this coming year. If your not familiar, it's the same but just no offensive tackles. Still five skill guys but fewer lineman.
Around the country small rural schools have played this brand of football for years.
With teams, not all, struggling to field 35 to 40 players yearly could this keep our sport alive?

I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. Could be fun, maybe more wide open and yet still football.
This will not be popular with everyone. Anything that keeps our young kids playing a sport I believe in, and love, works for me.

Save football?
Didn't we just do this 2 months or so ago? I know I contributed then.

You are correct sir!
March first to be exact. I never thought I'd see eight man football in our area even considered.
With the large population is SEPA hard to grasp.

Reading the post on this from March, I was surprised about the wimpy notion of eight man ball.
Take two fat tackles out of the game and it gets to be a sissy sport?
Does that make the game in Canada a REAL mans game because they play with twelve? Ha!

Reactions: Stalker
You are correct sir!
March first to be exact. I never thought I'd see eight man football in our area even considered.
With the large population is SEPA hard to grasp.

Reading the post on this from March, I was surprised about the wimpy notion of eight man ball.
Take two fat tackles out of the game and it gets to be a sissy sport?
Does that make the game in Canada a REAL mans game because they play with twelve? Ha!
Can add being from the boonies of PA where there are cows and horses between your town and rival, there are some towns bordering on villages/shires that would be better served fielding 8-man teams per real population issues and related cost that accompany a smaller base.
It's all most Single-A's can do to field a team in some cases. Heart is still in it in my view but you need bodies. Hated seeing nephews teams get pounded by a bigger school with two dozen guys (kids) fighting their asses off for their school to stay within 6 scores. Love of the game and small town pride can only take you so far.

Reactions: myboyblue62
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT