ADVERTISEMENT

Board thoughts - 2 Players missing for a critical state softball game

Chest-when you say you are with the kids, are you saying you agree with their decision to go to the shore, or that they should not have been named in the article?

Yeah, seeing kids, particularly young men and a couple inner city young ladies, personally named all fall and winter in the crossfire of the stupid private/public debate, pardon me if I don't give a crap about naming a couple of gals sunning on the beach instead of playing in a game. But since you brought it up I have been in that position as a parent...and my child came up from senior week the night before, played (lost) and went back down after the game. It was a decision that was never regretted and better to love and lose than never to love. They made the decision, and they will regret it as often as anyone mentions softball.

Their names never needed to be mentioned. It's irrelevant to the story.
I completely agree with 6days and the way that situation was handled. I would have made arrangements for them to do both.

Yeah, seeing kids, particularly young men and a couple inner city young ladies, personally named all fall and winter in the crossfire of the stupid private/public debate, pardon me if I don't give a crap about naming a couple of gals sunning on the beach instead of playing in a game. But since you brought it up I have been in that position as a parent...and my child came up from senior week the night before, played (lost) and went back down after the game. It was a decision that was never regretted and better to love and lose than never to love. They made the decision, and they will regret it as often as anyone mentions softball.
Point noted and thank you

Isn’t reporting the names kind of journalism 101 ( who , what , where , when , why )? I guess he could have reported that 2 seniors missed the game because they decided to go to Senior Week instead. But that could end up disparaging the seniors that did play because it just leads to speculation as which were the 2 seniors that bailed ?

Girls should have played, parents should have made them play. Softball is a team sport not an individual one. Mentioning their names publicly was wrong. Back in the day I missed 3 days of senior week to play in an allstar football game. There wasn’t even the thought of a choice back then.

Isn’t reporting the names kind of journalism 101 ( who , what , where , when , why )? I guess he could have reported that 2 seniors missed the game because they decided to go to Senior Week instead. But that could end up disparaging the seniors that did play because it just leads to speculation as which were the 2 seniors that bailed ?
Speed - His personal comments in the article. It’s the same local paper that disparaged Catholic schools in the PIAA as being unfair. Report facts you dumb ass f....s. We can interpret from there here in Chesco.

Girls should have played, parents should have made them play. Softball is a team sport not an individual one. Mentioning their names publicly was wrong. Back in the day I missed 3 days of senior week to play in an allstar football game. There wasn’t even the thought of a choice back then.
Girls should have played but are these kids going to play in college or beyond.. no. Life is short and enjoy it w your friends and opportunities. I see both ways but .. keep the opinion and prolly names out.

If Coatesville just didn’t have Aaron Young and Ricky Santiago in their state semifinals this year because they skipped it, should the paper just not mention it in the story?

Reactions: kitwor
If Coatesville just didn’t have Aaron Young and Ricky Santiago in their state semifinals this year because they skipped it, should the paper just not mention it in the story?
Rover - His personal opinion jabs. Lay facts out period. It’s not his job to crucify and say how bad they are and create a mob lynching.

Well at least they deserted their teammates for an important reason!*? Nice job mom and dad!
Can’t blame parents. These girls are 17-19 years old. Society, liberal laws, etc allow these kids to do things like this more than ever. I’ll sue my parents if they don’t let me go to senior week! I’m a damn good devils advocate!

Can’t blame parents. These girls are 17-19 years old. Society, liberal laws, etc allow these kids to do things like this more than ever. I’ll sue my parents if they don’t let me go to senior week! I’m a damn good devils advocate!
That's an aspect of my point. If you've raised kids that would even consider suing you, you've failed as a parent. And if the girls think its ok to let down your teammates and school for their own selfish wants, that's clearly a values failure, whoever you want to blame. Kids don't come out of the womb wanting to sue mom and dad and stab heretofore friends in the back. This is learned ! And someone allowed or encouraged it.

That's an aspect of my point. If you've raised kids that would even consider suing you, you've failed as a parent. And if the girls think its ok to let down your teammates and school for their own selfish wants, that's clearly a values failure, whoever you want to blame. Kids don't come out of the womb wanting to sue mom and dad and stab heretofore friends in the back. This is learned ! And someone allowed or encouraged it.

Exactly! It’s not like this was the only story about the game. The game was reported on as well in another article. Even if they reported it under the opinion section people still would have complained. The girls should have played, but then again that’s me assuming they truly understand what being on a team means. I’m pretty sure WHATEVER beach they chose to go to will be there for years to come. Playing with your teammates for another week and a chance at being a state champ never happening again!

Cheers,

Busch

Girls should have played but are these kids going to play in college or beyond.. no. Life is short and enjoy it w your friends and opportunities. I see both ways but .. keep the opinion and prolly names out.
Correction: one of them is going to play softball at D1 Fordham U

Busch- very interesting! It will be interesting to see what the Fordham softball coach does in this case.. I wouldn’t be surprised if this athlete ends up at another school. I hope not for her but would not be surprised.

Stalk - I disagree. News, newspapers, social media allow movements to spin up quickly. Some schools are going to push a liberal agenda (Lower Merion, Conestoga or a Strath Haven vs like a Twin Valley , octorara or a Coudersport PA). Parents don’t raise a kid a society who’s values which have terribly diminished are the main reason.

That's just wrong! (For the players to miss the game). One would think that a D1 athlete is an all in athlete. To do at this point in time makes you wonder how committed they really are to the sport / team. The parents had to play a role in arranging for senior week and could have pulled rank and made arrangements. A couple of girls in N.J. had similar situation, going to Canada for sr. Week, not sure of their decision. How do you invest your heart & soul into something then just bail for a vacation?

Let's also put blame on PIAA in this instance, Senior Week starts after graduation. Maybe the PIAA should see that these games are scheduled before schools graduate, then we would not be having this conversation.

Reactions: kitwor
Let's also put blame on PIAA in this instance, Senior Week starts after graduation. Maybe the PIAA should see that these games are scheduled before schools graduate, then we would not be having this conversation.
Agreed Sam and the PIAA could help w this situation. Graduation and Senior Week are right up w a state championship. Why should 17-19 years be put to a hard decision when they should be able to take advantage of all.

No wonder kids are so entitled nowawdays...we're talking about switching the state championship to give kids a chance to party & drink illegally with their friends for a week. Wow.....you guys have got to be kidding me. How about following through on a committment? What happened to being there for your teammates? Now we're excusing the kids b/c the friggin' championship game interrupts their stupid senior week? How bout you just miss a day or two of senior week instead of bailing on your teammates like that? Their teammates were robbed of a once in a lifetime opportunity b/c of a couple selfish kids. Hope the parties were worth it...

No wonder kids are so entitled nowawdays...we're talking about switching the state championship to give kids a chance to party & drink illegally with their friends for a week. Wow.....you guys have got to be kidding me. How about following through on a committment? What happened to being there for your teammates? Now we're excusing the kids b/c the friggin' championship game interrupts their stupid senior week? How bout you just miss a day or two of senior week instead of bailing on your teammates like that? Their teammates were robbed of a once in a lifetime opportunity b/c of a couple selfish kids. Hope the parties were worth it...
Fan - I hear and partly agree w where you are coming from but... Softball is just a blip in life. Maybe these kids don’t drink and just like the sand and beach!

Not a fan-

Totally hear ya, but do you think the coach would let them just come back for games and miss practices? No, so have to be there everyday, I don't think it would be an issue if the coach was truly respected and cultivated a culture where you would not want to let them down or your teammates. Too many HS coaches about their ego and less about each player. If these players weren't good, and sat the bench all year we would not be discussing. Like any relationship, it's a 2-way street. Coaches can do better as well...

Not a fan-

Totally hear ya, but do you think the coach would let them just come back for games and miss practices? No, so have to be there everyday, I don't think it would be an issue if the coach was truly respected and cultivated a culture where you would not want to let them down or your teammates. Too many HS coaches about their ego and less about each player. If these players weren't good, and sat the bench all year we would not be discussing. Like any relationship, it's a 2-way street. Coaches can do better as well...

Not sure I follow Salvucci. Are you saying the coach should have let them go and come back? I don't recall seeing that as part of the story anywhere. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have cared if they made arrangements to be there for the most important game (possibly 2 games) of their careers AND THEN gone to senior week. I'm confused as to what the coach has to do with players making a personal decision.

Of course it wouldn't be a big deal publicly if the 2 girls were bench players b/c they probably would have won but don't think for a second that the team would have been any less frustrated or disappointed in such a selfish decision regardless their status on the team...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT