ADVERTISEMENT

Bad football- Delco halftime scores

SPEED&JUMP DR.

Jan 3, 2007
I can’t ever remember there being this many bad teams in a year. Is this the direction of HS football?

Gv 28. UD 21
SHaven 35. Harriton 0
Springfield 21. Stoga 0
Penn Wood 35. Interboro 0
Marple 28. Penncrest 0

Not only are those teams all being shut out , they are having trouble even getting a first down .

Inside of 20 years of it being a club sport. 3 to 4 high schools to a club. Been to a lot of games in Delco this year. Even some of the “good” teams are ridiculously flawed. The difference in the game from 3 to 5 years ago is amazing.

If these Delco 6a teams play anyone remotely physical in the playoffs going to get ugly. If I watch one more group of offensive lineman catch guys or start out with a their hands out I’m going to vomit. It’s not professional football where everyone is great athlete. Can someone please strike someone off the football and drive their feet instead of this catch and redirect that looks like flag. Zone blocking sucks in hs football. No one can coach it and kids aren’t good enough to properly combo.

Some of the things I’ve seen this year are amazing. Fascinating from both a playing and coaching perspective. Whole new world.

First PA football not what it once was. Look at starters at PSU, Pitt,Temple, Villanova etc. not HS players from PA. Look at LSU,Ala, home grown.
2nd, talent is going to private schools, not just PCL schools but inter-ac & schools across the river.
3rd, Coaching, fundamentals are not taught, a lot of adult supervision as coaches.

It applies to Ridley Football as well the days of 12 min run and then doing Indy right after kids today aren’t built for the old school. Lineman that wrestle to get them better doesn’t happen as well. I take an old school coach that believes in the technique and conditioning. But let’s be honest most kids today are a product of their environment! Most are not willing to put in the time unless they come from a football family or a good program that has good coaches that are willing to put in a great amount of time because they are either a teacher or have flexibility with their jobs.

Here’s one for you. O’Hara lost 46-0 but never through a pass. How is that even possible ? Don’t you at least owe it to your players to try and win the game ?

O’Hara is actually coached compared to a lot of these teams I’ve seen. There were multiple passes to be attempted but literally 6 snaps were over the qb head and multiple scrambles. So realistically if they just wanted to run out the clock they would have gotten under center. OHara playing multiple freshmen. Not because they want to but because they have to. Not much there this year. It was ugly matchup wise.

Two schools of thought on that. Down 46-0 and other team calls off the dogs some coaches run the football and say let’s go out of here healthy. That’s what Ohara did.

Tonight minute QB came out of game for Haverford and it was 37-0, Ridley put 11 guys within two yards of ball and brought house on first play second kid was in and throw was zero threat. Only time in that alignment all game. Resulted in 70 yard td on dive with no safety. Then onside kicked twice in mercy rule game with the twos in for Haverford. So I guess there is that school of thought as well. Whatever the coach thinks is best for their team at that particular time I guess.

I always was one that when the other guy is trying to be magnanimous and could likely name the score I’m not going to make him put his hands team out there with a running clock. So probably opposite extremes in 46-0 and 44-0 games.

GG - I hear you . But it was only 8-0 early in the 2Nd quarter. I do not know how many of those bad snaps were actually called pass plays , but if the other team knows you are not going to pass - as in not even call a pass play - I think you are doing a disservice to your kids .

Also , looking at it from another angle , they still have games left this season that might matter. So what better time to test your passing offense than in a game that you are getting blown out. It might not help you now , but it might actually benefit you down the road.

Speed I understand your point. Being there it was brutal mismatch. As an alum I will staunchly defend BJ Hogan. He’s excellent both as a coach and a human being. When he has talent they have done very well. Granted losing quality assistants has hurt the program. But the fact they went there in first place tells you the respect really good football people had for Hogan.

One thing I love about Hogan. When O’Hara doesn’t win he always puts in paper he has to do better and takes the hit why they aren’t winning. He’s old school stand up guy who can really coach football. The failing there isn’t him. It’s with guys like myself who haven’t raised enough dough for them to be more competitive. Catholic League a money game. Have a historic rich program. As an alumni we haven’t gotten him the proper level of financial support. The failings our absolutely ours as an alumni not his. Take him any day. When it’s good he is first to delve praise to others. When it’s bad he’s first to take responsibility. An absolute winner. Again take him any day. And I throw compliments around like man hole covers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT