ADVERTISEMENT

Allentown Central Catholic 26 Easton 24 Final

Great win for John Cupples and company. Competition is thick for 3A playoff spots, and this win puts ACC right in the middle of everything. Kids did everything asked of them and more. They weathered an early disaster (snap goes through the punter’s hands for a safety), got a key turnover (the kicker stripping Nysir Minney-Gratz on a kickoff return he took past midfield), made a huge special teams play (recovered an onside kick to start the 2nd half), got big plays on offense (a 50 yard TD pass on a blown coverage right after the fumble recovery, 60 yard run to get them in field goal range, a 45 yard pass to set up a score right after the onside kick), put together a key drive (75 yard march to go up 26-17), and got key stops, particularly bulling their neck with Easton on the 25 trailing by two.

Ethan Persa played very well. The fourth quarter touchdown drive to give them some breathing room was exceptionally well executed. Rob Melosky sure can coach quarterbacks. And he made the big throw on the busted coverage TD. One thing the spread does is force defenders to make a lot of decisions and reads on every snap. ACC used a lot of bubble screens and short routes, and when both the corner and safety came up to jump the bubble screen, Kassis ran all by himself down the middle of the field, and Persa hit him in stride. They also have a kicker who is a real weapon, in a tight game like this, that 40 yard field goal was obviously a difference maker.

For Easton, it’s a gut check time. They did not play well. I’d warned that they couldn’t keep scoring these long, quick strike touchdowns forever, and early in the game they had real trouble putting drives together. They had that long (91 yard) march before halftime, but ACC kept plays in front of them, tackled, and made Easton earn it. They found their footing a little as the game wore on, but self inflicted wounds (the two fumbles on the second to last drive were terribly frustrating and totally unnecessary, and the eight penalties isn’t helpful either) and solid play by the ACC defense. Defensively, they simply gave up too many big plays, particularly in spots where they needed to swing momentum (after the fumble and after the onside kick they immediately gave up 40+ yard pass plays).. This is a nice little football team, but at this point they’ve beaten three teams which are a combined 3-9 and lost to the 3-1 team on the schedule. There is not a huge margin for error now to get back to District play, with both Nazareth and Liberty looking like real challengers. They get East Stroudsburg South next week as a rebound before finishing with a Whitehall-Parkland-Freedom-Liberty-Nazareth stretch that is mighty treacherous.

For all the crap the Catholic schools have taken in that league (just one guy's opinion), it's nice to see one of them jump up and bite the big dog!

Reactions: lilromeo
I miss those days when Bob Stem would go for two up 63-0 over Easton in the D11 championship game. I could never understand why Stemmy had so many enemies in the Lehigh Valley.

I miss those days when Bob Stem would go for two up 63-0 over Easton in the D11 championship game. I could never understand why Stemmy had so many enemies in the Lehigh Valley.

Probably because he DIDN'T go for two up 63-0. I was at that game with my Dad and two of my brothers. None of us had a dog in that fight. We ALL saw what happened. It was right in front of us. The holder dropped the snap from center, yelled something, and they executed the contingency play for that situation. Easton, and this I say having much respect for the Rovers program, quit that night, in the second quarter.

Why in the world would you still be at a game that's 63-0? I like Stem, met him at the WFMZ studios when he was a guest commentator for the Big Ticket. Good guy in person, we talked about those CB-West battles in '99 and 2000. I still miss Tom Leyden on that show. I see Tom is now working in Boston, he's a class act.

I wasn't surprised at this score. ACC played Parkland tough last week, and I thought they would give the Rovers a game. I don't believe this is one of Easton's stronger teams. They'll win 3 or 4 more games because of weak competition, but I won't be surprised if Easton doesn't make districts either.

It's definitely not one of Easton's stronger teams. They do some things well, but have some real limitations. It's an odd roster with virtually no juniors (one of those classes I guess). They'll be competitive because thats the program, but it's part of a rebuilding cycle. That happens.

The score only surprised me because ACC has struggled so much recently. I thought the Parkland game was more a function of them laying off the gas with a three touchdown lead by halftime.

I'll say this about the 65-0 game (which was 15 years ago!), that Easton team might be the weakest D11 finalist in the 32 year history of the tournament. They pulled a MASSIVE upset the weak before of a Parkland team that had both Austin Scott and Tim Massaquoi, but were 7-3 on the year, and spent most of the season searching for an offensive identity after the loss of one 1,000 yard rusher to suspension and another to blot clots in his brain after getting assaulted. And the best running back with an Easton mailing address was playing for Bethlehem Catholic. Meanwhile, that Becahi team was the best Stemmy had, and with all that was going on politically, he was going to take every opportunity he could to embarrass any MVC school he played.

All of Bob Stem's reputations, good and bad, are well deserved. There's probably a great book to be written about Stem, talk about a complicated legacy. (Also, to JB's point, Jim Morgans had arguably more success than Stem in the 1990s, but nobody ever complains about him or ACC).

And ditto on Tom Leyden, great guy, and I'm glad to see he's been successful and moved up in media markets (not that working in the Lehigh Valley isn't great).

Thanks for the input. I moved away from Easton last year, but still keep in touch with my buddies, and still follow the program. Haven't been to a game in two years, though. I didn't know Parkland was up by 3 touchdowns, so you're probably correct in your assessment of that game.

Morgans had some great teams at ACC in the 90's. I'm thinking people didn't complain about him as much as Stemmy because he wasn't as cocky. He was getting good players from all over, just not from Easton and Bethlehem, and those are the schools who shouted the loudest about BECA. Stemmy screwed himself out of at least one State championship by playing up at 4A just to get back at the MVC schools.

Why in the world would you still be at a game that's 63-0? I like Stem, met him at the WFMZ studios when he was a guest commentator for the Big Ticket. Good guy in person, we talked about those CB-West battles in '99 and 2000. I still miss Tom Leyden on that show. I see Tom is now working in Boston, he's a class act.[/QUOTE

Because we go to games, get involved shooting the breeze with people around us and just stay until the end. My Dad loves high school football. He never leaves a game early. That's the way it's been for about 58 of my 63 years. Sorry if that offends you.

By the way, I agree on Tom Leyden. The twits who do the show now have no clue at all. Just watching Hein do sports during the week is painful. The only things more painful on that station are Kathy Craine's outfits.

Now, one last thing. A guy I worked with had a kid who was in a car accident. His car burst into flames. He would have been dead, except this hulk of a man dived in the car and pulled him out. Yeah, it was Bob Stem. Selfless when it really mattered.

Not offended at all, point taken. I remember you've mentioned that story before about Bob.

Stemmy screwed himself out of at least one State championship by playing up at 4A just to get back at the MVC schools.

I think Beca would have won at least 2 and maybe 3 AA state titles if they didn't move up to AAAA. Take any combination of 1999, 2000 and 2002. That '02 team was probably the second best in the state behind Austin Scott's Parkland squad.

EPC your story about Stem doesn't surprise me. Everybody I know who played or coached for him loves him, and my limited interactions with him have always been positive. I think he's a good guy with a big heart. But he's also crazy competitive with a huge ego and a self righteous streak, which were both his greatest professional strengths and greatest professional downfalls.

Becahi from 1999-2002 would have given the Strath Haven dynasty a real challenge in 3A. You won't get any arguments from me about the 2002 team being the second best team in the state that year. The 2001 team was the strangest to me, essentially the 2002 team but with Eddie Scipio, but laid an egg against Cumberland Valley in state playoffs.

Getting back to the current EPC, ACC has a big opportunity Friday. If they can beat Freedom, they have a shot at winning out until the finale with Becahi. Saucon Valley, Lehigjton, Blue Mountain, Southern Lehigh, Becahi, and Jim Thorpe all are likely to have gaudy records, so ACC really needs to take care of business.

Thanks for the input. I moved away from Easton last year, but still keep in touch with my buddies, and still follow the program. Haven't been to a game in two years, though. I didn't know Parkland was up by 3 touchdowns, so you're probably correct in your assessment of that game.

Morgans had some great teams at ACC in the 90's. I'm thinking people didn't complain about him as much as Stemmy because he wasn't as cocky. He was getting good players from all over, just not from Easton and Bethlehem, and those are the schools who shouted the loudest about BECA. Stemmy screwed himself out of at least one State championship by playing up at 4A just to get back at the MVC schools.
I wanted to give you a shout out for defending Pa. football vs. NJ. on the National HS site. Nice job to you.

EPC your story about Stem doesn't surprise me. Everybody I know who played or coached for him loves him, and my limited interactions with him have always been positive. I think he's a good guy with a big heart. But he's also crazy competitive with a huge ego and a self righteous streak, which were both his greatest professional strengths and greatest professional downfalls.

Becahi from 1999-2002 would have given the Strath Haven dynasty a real challenge in 3A. You won't get any arguments from me about the 2002 team being the second best team in the state that year. The 2001 team was the strangest to me, essentially the 2002 team but with Eddie Scipio, but laid an egg against Cumberland Valley in state playoffs.

Getting back to the current EPC, ACC has a big opportunity Friday. If they can beat Freedom, they have a shot at winning out until the finale with Becahi. Saucon Valley, Lehigjton, Blue Mountain, Southern Lehigh, Becahi, and Jim Thorpe all are likely to have gaudy records, so ACC really needs to take care of business.

Laid an egg or had to use an inexperienced kid at Quarterback. If I recall correctly, Becahi's quarterback did what teenage kids do sometimes. He made a huge mistake involving alcohol.

I just read two articles about that Cumberland Valley game. I didn't remember Becahi had played without four defensive starters, who were suspended for underage drinking. I also forgot it was quarterback Adam Bednarik's fourth start.
The thing I remember most about that game is the fact Becahi kept chasing a missed extra point which put them behind the eight ball late in that game. Going for two and missing put them backwards. Had they just kicked those points, it would have been a 7 point game late, instead of a 10 point game. Big difference in how you play offense. Final was 41-31. Under the circumstances, Becahi did as well as could be expected.

Laid an egg was probably strong, given the circumstances, but I think it was an opportunity lost.

I clearly remembered Borda and a linebacker were suspended, I didn't remember the other defensive players. That changed the equation a little going against a good offense. But while Borda was excellent, Bednark threw for something like 900 yards and 8 touchdowns in his first three starts and three for another 300 against Cumberland Valley. He wasn't just some guy coming off of the bench and he had one of the better collections of skill talent the Lehigh Valkey has seen in the state playoff era.

Even with the suspensions, this was an excellently talented team. I don't think I'd be remiss in saying they were favored in the playoff game, or that when they had a 10 point lead late in the third quarter that they were expected to close it out.

Programs get years they can grab the brass ring. With the end of CB West's reign in the East, and a very good, but not necessarily dominant Neshaminy team ultimately winning the whole thing, 2001 was an opportunity lost for Becahi in my opinion. In the end, probably was too much to ask a group of high school kids to overcome all of the off the field stuff that happened that year.

2001 was an opportunity lost for Easton also. They finished undefeated behind one of their bigger o-lines, and a good QB, I think the name was Todd Piersons, and two tough running backs. I believe they should have beaten Beca at Cottingham in the District finals. If I remember correctly, the Rovers had no problems running the ball right at Beca, but chose to throw the ball more often that game, The Rover QB threw a few picks after not throwing many at all during the season. That 2001 Neshaminy team was a very good one, but one that Easton had a shot at.

Some thought CV would get another title that year after Beca but Neshaminy had other ideas. You guys got lucky PA2CA, Ha! CV had a run in that period of monster lines and crazy big, fast FBs, super backs actually like Jon Ritchie, Regis Perry that made Rimpfel's Wing-T hum. Few could hang beyond a couple SOL, LVC teams. Of course, Central Dauphin and Gettysburg were better than most of them.

PS; heading to Harrisburg tomorrow via G-Burg to catch CD 4-0-Harrisburg 3-1 at Landis. Other area games of impact in 3....
CD East 3-1 at CV 3-1
Lower Dauphin 4-0 at Cedar Cliff 4-0

No argument from me. Part of the reason I'm hard on that Becahi team historically is how badly they beat that Easton team, then didn't win it all.

If I'm drafting Easton teams from the state playoff era, I'm not sure I take anybody other than 1991 and 2009 over the 2001 team. Parsons, now the QB coach at Brown, was the best pure passer Easton's had in my lifetime and I think he broke the single season passing record by hundreds of yards. They had two bulls at running back, running behind four linemen that played college football, and an excellent run defense with a huge and physical front 7. The kicking game was even excellent. But the Achilles heel was a mediocre secondary, that got torched by Becahi. That would not have been much of a factor against CV, Neshaminy, and Woodland Hills. Not saying they would have won, but they matched up with the rest of the path much better than they matched up with the wide open Golden Hawk spread offense (before there was such a thing).

Yes, you're completely right, Easton had sustained, methodical drives throughout the first half. I think they opened the game with a 15 play TD drive that took ungodly time off the clock. But once they were down, they panicked and tried to get in a track meet, and just dug a deeper and deeper hole by turning it over. And Scipio, Trovato and Martell ran wide open all night. That was as disappointing a loss as there has been during the state playoff era. Which is part of the reason it was jarring that Beca's season ended the next weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT