ADVERTISEMENT

8 man football

D1sideline

Jan 29, 2019
So I wonder if the other potential team is Penncrest or Glenn Mills? It sounds like Smith is already experiencing low numbers at Penncrest unless I read the quote wrong. Either way 8 man football is just a band-aid; true it's better then nothing, but the game is in serious trouble.

And Pop Warner announced yesterday that their three youngest divisions will disallow 3 & 4 pt stances - safety issue? Also announced that individual leagues will be allowed to switch to age-only if they'd like - numbers issue?

Call me a purist or old school or what ever. Seriously w/ 8 man football and no 3 or 4 point stance in pop warner? What in the Hell is going on? I watched an ESPN special on 8 man, no thank you. Bus the kids to the next school over and let them play with them if numbers are down, school disctrict can sign off on it.( I know a stretch)Lucky and proud all of my sons love and play the greatest game going but where is it actually going? College anymore is like flag football the way these guys tackle, NFL is a joke with all the non contact rules. Parents upset that their kids are held accountable and disciplined by a coach who is actually teaching them life lessons. I wont give in and join the pussification of a game that teaches life lessons and creates life time bonds....

Last edited:
Parents upset that their kids are held accountable and disciplined by a coach who is actually teaching them life lessons. I wont give in and join the pussification of a game that teaches life lessons and creates life time bonds....

Our society is really fragile right now - masculinity is definitely under attack. It is a shame what this is doing to our young boys.

Scary stuff and sad to say the least, I keep telling myself that too many people are making too much money to let the (traditional) game go! But no one"s yet to really take a hard stand, but like Fletch said masculinity is definitely under attack and I guess no large entity wants to put their neck on the line.

Im hearing Springfield Montco. It wont be Penncrest, unless they leave the Central League. By Laws state you must field a team in every sport or you leave the league. I also think G Mills is on the verge of being closed down and their Director just "retired" amid some pretty serious allegations.

If this takes off and gives kids an opportunity to enjoy the game do you ever think we will see schools with both an 8 man squad and an 11 man squad? Why or why not?

Cheers,

Busch

If this takes off and gives kids an opportunity to enjoy the game do you ever think we will see schools with both an 8 man squad and an 11 man squad? Why or why not?

Cheers,

Busch
I think some of the larger schools could support both your 6A and some 5A schools that have large numbers. However what type of conflicts does that create for the 11 man programs? Will you get some elite skill guys playing 8 man vs 11 because it's perceived as "safer?" Therefore Ad's who support 11 man may fight it in an effort to support their coaches. I wonder if an 8 man spring season would allow harmony between the two?

Reactions: Busch08
Surprised to see how many already have 8 or 6 man fb, Ga, Ala, Fla, SC, Va, La, Ark, Okla, Neb, Tex, Mich, Wis doing just a fast/partial scan. Pa, Ohio, Illinois, W-Va, Maine, Indy and some others don't. If you live in the boonies or are urban with a very small school I get it. You want to play.
Numbers may be down but a lot of guys still want to play football. Got to watch whose pushing what agenda when the bs talking heads give their tela-prompter assisted views on TV. A lot of words out there with people just wanting time in front of the camera.

Reactions: D1sideline
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT