ADVERTISEMENT

5A Top Teams

shfoot

Sep 1, 2001
As of now it's Springfield, Upper Moreland (4A team playing up), Unionville, Upper Dublin, Academy Park, Bishop Shanahan, Great Valley, and Marple rounding up the top 8.

In a previous post GV/Sprng I mentioned Rustin was a threat. My bad on reading my notes. Rustin is 4-0 at home and I missed some of their away games. Also, I failed to mention Upper Dublin is doing well. I don't believe Upper Moreland has been challenged this yr, but will be when they play Upper Dublin Friday night. Springfield and UM maybe to two team who go into the playoffs undefeated. Springfield will be tested again going up against Haverford and the coach Gallagher affect. Unionville goes up against Great Valley. So, there are a few games which will affect the playoff positioning. Acd. Pk should beat Interboro this week making them 6-3. Shanahan has a tough one against Coatesville. I see Shanahan finishing with a 7-3 record. They may just stay at the 6th seed.

Foot. Ok. Never quite got the Joe Gal love. Great high school player , great guy. But 2 championships in 27 years and roughly .500 in the Central league over the years. But they do have a nice squad this year. Last year Springfield won a close one 24-17. See if they can get up again on back to back weeks.

Foot. Ok. Never quite got the Joe Gal love. Great high school player , great guy. But 2 championships in 27 years and roughly .500 in the Central league over the years. But they do have a nice squad this year. Last year Springfield won a close one 24-17. See if they can get up again on back to back weeks.

Speed - happy to chime in on the reasoning for the Coach Gal love. Yes he has been the coach for over 25 years and has 2 CLCs and about a 500 record. He had good teams in the mid-90s when he first started, then had some rough years in the late 90s/early 2000s. That was a tough time for most Central League schools to compete with Strath Haven during their run and Ridley being Ridley.

Things were especially tough for Haverford during that time with over 50% of boys in the township heading to catholic of private high schools. Not even getting into the recruiting or private/public debate, but Havertown was one of the most densely populated Irish-Catholic towns in America at that time. While we certainly lost a lot of the top football talent due to private school recruitment, the bigger issue was the depth we lost out on from the masses opting for catholic school over Haverford.

Additionally, the only youth football programs in Havertown at the time were the CYO teams. The good CYO players in Havertown would end up at Prep/Malvern/Episcopal, and the rest of the players basically fed into the Bonner/O'Hara/Carroll systems. Coach Gal tried to get CYO kids to come to Haverford, but the Catholic League / Inter Ac was seen as the place to go if you wanted to play competitive football. Quite frankly, the perception was you can't go to Haverford unless you're ok with 2-8 seasons being the norm. Haverford got the leftovers or the kids who didn't grow up playing football (meaning their freshman year was their first year playing organized football). These were the kids Gal had trying to compete with the Strath Havens/Ridleys of the world for about 10 years, and you cannot blame his coaching for the losses during that time.

Gal realized this issue and was heavily involved with the creation of the Haverford youth football program in the mid 2000s. This gave the CYO kids another option and got the non-catholic kids playing football at an earlier age. It took a few years for these kids to finally filter into the high school system, but now the team is full of kids who grew up in this system. Additionally, the decline of enrollment in the Catholic schools has really benefited Haverford. Kids who in the past would have gone to Bonner/O'Hara are now at Haverford, and that's given them a level of depth they've never had before.

You really have to credit the 2007 team for turning the culture around at Haverford. That team went 7-3 and made the playoffs for the first time in Coach Gal's tenure. But more importantly, it set the tone that you can win at Haverford. The lineage of QBs Gal has gotten since that season is really quote impressive, and they've all come from CYO programs. Eddie Durkin (Sacred Heart CYO) was the QB from 2010-2012, Jack Donaghy (Annunciation) from 2013-2015, and now Jake Ruane (Annunciation) from 2016-present. These kids all might have gone to Catholic schools in years past, but they all felt like they would win at Haverford and they all did.

Now that Coach Gal finally has the guys to compete, Haverford has become a perennial playoff team (5 of the past 6 seasons) and a contender in the Central League. 7/8 win seasons have become the new norm, and in a good year they have the potential to win 9 or 10. The next step in the process is to make some noise in the playoffs, but they way they've progressed the past 10 years, I think that will happen in the near future.

Plus they've flown under the radar all season, but could get Gal his 2nd Central League title in 3 years with a win Friday. Springfield is a tough, complete team and will be the favorite, but Gal has a way of getting his guys ready. Expect a good one Friday night.

Speed - happy to chime in on the reasoning for the Coach Gal love. Yes he has been the coach for over 25 years and has 2 CLCs and about a 500 record. He had good teams in the mid-90s when he first started, then had some rough years in the late 90s/early 2000s. That was a tough time for most Central League schools to compete with Strath Haven during their run and Ridley being Ridley.

Things were especially tough for Haverford during that time with over 50% of boys in the township heading to catholic of private high schools. Not even getting into the recruiting or private/public debate, but Havertown was one of the most densely populated Irish-Catholic towns in America at that time. While we certainly lost a lot of the top football talent due to private school recruitment, the bigger issue was the depth we lost out on from the masses opting for catholic school over Haverford.

Additionally, the only youth football programs in Havertown at the time were the CYO teams. The good CYO players in Havertown would end up at Prep/Malvern/Episcopal, and the rest of the players basically fed into the Bonner/O'Hara/Carroll systems. Coach Gal tried to get CYO kids to come to Haverford, but the Catholic League / Inter Ac was seen as the place to go if you wanted to play competitive football. Quite frankly, the perception was you can't go to Haverford unless you're ok with 2-8 seasons being the norm. Haverford got the leftovers or the kids who didn't grow up playing football (meaning their freshman year was their first year playing organized football). These were the kids Gal had trying to compete with the Strath Havens/Ridleys of the world for about 10 years, and you cannot blame his coaching for the losses during that time.

Gal realized this issue and was heavily involved with the creation of the Haverford youth football program in the mid 2000s. This gave the CYO kids another option and got the non-catholic kids playing football at an earlier age. It took a few years for these kids to finally filter into the high school system, but now the team is full of kids who grew up in this system. Additionally, the decline of enrollment in the Catholic schools has really benefited Haverford. Kids who in the past would have gone to Bonner/O'Hara are now at Haverford, and that's given them a level of depth they've never had before.

You really have to credit the 2007 team for turning the culture around at Haverford. That team went 7-3 and made the playoffs for the first time in Coach Gal's tenure. But more importantly, it set the tone that you can win at Haverford. The lineage of QBs Gal has gotten since that season is really quote impressive, and they've all come from CYO programs. Eddie Durkin (Sacred Heart CYO) was the QB from 2010-2012, Jack Donaghy (Annunciation) from 2013-2015, and now Jake Ruane (Annunciation) from 2016-present. These kids all might have gone to Catholic schools in years past, but they all felt like they would win at Haverford and they all did.

Now that Coach Gal finally has the guys to compete, Haverford has become a perennial playoff team (5 of the past 6 seasons) and a contender in the Central League. 7/8 win seasons have become the new norm, and in a good year they have the potential to win 9 or 10. The next step in the process is to make some noise in the playoffs, but they way they've progressed the past 10 years, I think that will happen in the near future.

Plus they've flown under the radar all season, but could get Gal his 2nd Central League title in 3 years with a win Friday. Springfield is a tough, complete team and will be the favorite, but Gal has a way of getting his guys ready. Expect a good one Friday night.
Thx Haverford20 well said

Thanks for the input 20. I guess I may be jaded since I'm a Ridley guy , but I would not be willing to write off 10 years of bad football simply on losing kids to private schools. But the last 5-6 years they are definitely competing at a high level, which is good for the league. Would be nice to see them win a game or 2 in districts. I think Friday is going to be a good game. Springfield spilled the bucket against GV, and now they have to come back a week later. Let's see if they have anything left in the gas tank .

Also ( Foot too ) have you heard anything about the new enrollment numbers and more realignment? Supposedly , the next 2 year cycle shows Lower Merion and Penncrest with more kids than Springfield. That would move Springfield down to the small school division , and either LM or Penncrest up? LM has supposedly said they will refuse to move up. Not sure about Penncrest , but if so , the league could get even more intersting.

Speed look at the ten years at Haverford before Gal got there. Beyond brutal. Haverford20 hit the nail right on the head. He made Haverford football relevant with a lot of work and effort. To those of us who have lived in Haverford township for years we understand what a herculean task that really has been. Literally for 25 years anyone who was any good found a way not to play there for all the factors mentioned above. Jack Donaghy and Jack Farrell staying when they could have went anywhere was a game changer and decision party based upon the success of the kids before them. Add in a lot of loyal 1995 guys now teaching and coaching and they are on the come.

One thing holding Haverford back in playoff seeding is never playing Upper Darby in regular season and needing to fill that game with a AAA team. I'd wish they play UD twice to keep the tradition. It's hurting them in power points in a league that skews towards 5a. The matchups if they lose to Springfield aren't very favorable.

Haverford a pretty young team this year. Will have to replace some very good seniors especially J. Mosely but it could be argued that their best shot might be in next two years. Some very good young skill kids. As always it comes down to will they be big enough and physical enough up front to compete. Early indications are a definite maybe. Have some body types they haven't gotten in the past. Agree it's time to win a district game or two and next phase of progression. Gal has done a lot to build this thing over a very long road to at least be a factor. I don't like their matchup against Springfield this week but we will see.

Speed look at the ten years at Haverford before Gal got there. Beyond brutal. Haverford20 hit the nail right on the head. He made Haverford football relevant with a lot of work and effort. To those of us who have lived in Haverford township for years we understand what a herculean task that really has been. Literally for 25 years anyone who was any good found a way not to play there for all the factors mentioned above. Jack Donaghy and Jack Farrell staying when they could have went anywhere was a game changer and decision party based upon the success of the kids before them. Add in a lot of loyal 1995 guys now teaching and coaching and they are on the come.

One thing holding Haverford back in playoff seeding is never playing Upper Darby in regular season and needing to fill that game with a AAA team. I'd wish they play UD twice to keep the tradition. It's hurting them in power points in a league that skews towards 5a. The matchups if they lose to Springfield aren't very favorable.

Haverford a pretty young team this year. Will have to replace some very good seniors especially J. Mosely but it could be argued that their best shot might be in next two years. Some very good young skill kids. As always it comes down to will they be big enough and physical enough up front to compete. Early indications are a definite maybe. Have some body types they haven't gotten in the past. Agree it's time to win a district game or two and next phase of progression. Gal has done a lot to build this thing over a very long road to at least be a factor. I don't like their matchup against Springfield this week but we will see.

Great points GG. Milew taking over as D-coordinator has been another game-changer for Haverford, their defense is only giving up 8 points a game this year and has posted 3 shutouts. Garnet Valley is the only team that scored more than once against their starting D. I know the schedule hasn't been very tough, but they're soundly beating the teams they've played. And you are right, they are very young so this season should be something to build on for the next couple of years.

The Upper Darby / Haverford scheduling dilemma is a tricky situation. I kind of like the idea of playing twice where the regular season game would be a "non-league" game, but not sure if the school's would want to do that. The more realistic option is to get the Central League to give both teams their league "bye" in week 2 or 3 so that they could schedule a Catholic League Red or Suburban One opponent before their league play starts. The reality is you just can't get a quality big school opponent in week 7 or 8 of the season so Haverford and Upper Darby continue to be hurt in the power rankings by whatever small school they're stuck playing.

I know the league skews toward 5A and that can hurt the big schools for district playoff points, but I still like that the league plays as many teams as they can. If they split the league in two and you only played the teams in your division, I would miss the match-ups against Haven/Marple/Penncrest/Springfield/Radnor. All of those teams have had their runs where they were competitive against the big schools and I would hate to see those longstanding match-ups go away. The only schools that really don't fit are Lower Merion and Harriton. They honestly should just combine their football teams since they're in the same school district so they'd at least have the same number of bodies as everyone else. Not sure if that's allowed but it's a better option than having Lower Merion go 0-9 in the league every year with 30 kids on the roster trying to compete against Garnet Valley's army.

And the problem with Haverford is their offense has stalled against the only two good defenses they have played this year (they only put up 13 points against Garnet Valley and Ridley). Even Radnor held them to 10. They haven't been able to run the ball against a good D, and you're easy to beat if you're one dimensional.

Haverford's defense should keep them competitive against most teams, but their offense better put up some points if they want a shot at beating Springfield Friday or winning a game in Districts. Matchups don't look favorable in the playoffs the way things stand now...

Stop with the Gal love. Results speak. They underachieve year in and year out, with the exception of one year with Donaghy. Didn't they lose in the first round that year too? I know they didn't make it far either way. The head coach at Springfield has won more Central League titles (3) in only 4 years than Joe Gal has in 27 years, with far less number of kids. Plus its hard to gloss over the fact that he made the news a few years back for all the wrong reasons and somehow kept his job.

He is over valued as a coach. As a Ridley fan, I hope he stays there forever.

Defcon you may be right and are entitled to your opinion. They have had zero PIAA playoff success. Maybe a different guy would have done more who knows but in a lot of those years he has had close to nothing. He also has won his last three games at Ridley so I guess he hasn't underachieved on Morton Ave in recent times. Haverford is consistently competitive which they haven't been since the early 70's. Ridley made a living beating the hell of some ragtag programs like Haverford. Now it's an actual league which is good for everyone.

As for the glossing over true also. Guy made a big mistake. He's done a ton of good for his program and for a ton of kids. Community rallied around him knowing how much good he has done that is unseen and beyond W-L's. I think that is a good thing but I can see the other side. There is definitely more talent at Haverford then in a long, long time. As stated before they are going to be pretty good over next two years and may be a year ahead of schedule so proof will be in the results.

Haverford20 I agree with your points. Run offense hasn't been good enough and teams have dared them to run inside. Defensively the numbers are outstanding. I worry about about their run defense tomorrow night as I think they have proven more vulnerable there than the numbers suggest. I know one thing it's fun to have a game of this magnitude being played consistently at Haverford over the last few years. That may be taken for granted at place like Ridley with their fantastic tradition.

Defcon you may be right and are entitled to your opinion. They have had zero PIAA playoff success. Maybe a different guy would have done more who knows but in a lot of those years he has had close to nothing. He also has won his last three games at Ridley so I guess he hasn't underachieved on Morton Ave in recent times. Haverford is consistently competitive which they haven't been since the early 70's. Ridley made a living beating the hell of some ragtag programs like Haverford. Now it's an actual league which is good for everyone.

As for the glossing over true also. Guy made a big mistake. He's done a ton of good for his program and for a ton of kids. Community rallied around him knowing how much good he has done that is unseen and beyond W-L's. I think that is a good thing but I can see the other side. There is definitely more talent at Haverford then in a long, long time. As stated before they are going to be pretty good over next two years and may be a year ahead of schedule so proof will be in the results.

Haverford20 I agree with your points. Run offense hasn't been good enough and teams have dared them to run inside. Defensively the numbers are outstanding. I worry about about their run defense tomorrow night as I think they have proven more vulnerable there than the numbers suggest. I know one thing it's fun to have a game of this magnitude being played consistently at Haverford over the last few years. That may be taken for granted at place like Ridley with their fantastic tradition.

Last thing on Gal: he made a mistake, he owned it, and it won't happen again. GG is right if he hadn't done so much good for the school/program the past 25 years he probably wouldn't be the coach, but that is why they forgave his mistake. Can't think of a former player or student at Haverford that didn't like Gal and I'm glad he's still the coach.

As for football, it is very true that Haverford's strength on defense is their secondary which is why Garnet Valley gave them trouble. Springfield runs the ball well too so you have to give the edge to them on paper, Haverford's front 7 will need to play their best game of the year if they want to win.

Agreed that it's nice to see a meaningful game played at Haverford this late in the season, hopefully they can give Springfield a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT