ADVERTISEMENT

40 Days Until Camps Start

HSFballFan19

Jul 4, 2017
Summer is winding down and camp is around the corner. The board is going to start heating up!

What are some early match-ups you guys are looking forward to?

I just realized we'll be away for opening weekend. Still hard to grasp the season starting on August 25th.

Summer is winding down and camp is around the corner. The board is going to start heating up!

What are some early match-ups you guys are looking forward to?
A few of my favorite early season games to watch will be Tampa Jesuit/ St Joe Prep, Oxbridge Academy/Archbishop Wood ,LaSalle/North Penn and st Peters Prep/ St Joe Prep.

LaSalle/NP always an exiting one. I noticed NP's first 5 games are away.

LaSalle NP is always a good one. Who does LS return besides their QB from injury?

Also, I've heard NP has had some crucial transfers come in...can't blame Beck as it is probably his only way to compete for state titles.

LaSalle/NP always an exiting one. I noticed NP's first 5 games are away.
It's weird though. The schedule I saw lists LaSalle as the home team but says the game will be played at North Penn.

LaSalle NP is always a good one. Who does LS return besides their QB from injury?

Also, I've heard NP has had some crucial transfers come in...can't blame Beck as it is probably his only way to compete for state titles.

A lot.

They lost a really good RB in Syaire Madden, but return many, many starters.

Good reveal on the power structure of D1 and 3 with Coatesville visiting Cumberland Valley 9/1. CV has few back but will be good as always vs a more mature Raider group this year. CV’s physical brand of football may have surprised last year, defeating a younger group at home 41-21, one of two losses for them; CV ended 9-4.
Slight role reversal this year but Eagles are always strong in the trenches with heads up well coached players. Very tough winning at cozy Chapman Field behind the school. Great atmosphere!

CYO -

They have pass catching talent back in guys like Oleh Manzyk (TE/LB/DE - junior this year, 15 TD catches and 1,003 yards receiving in 2016, 1st team all-state, PFN, TE), Mike Garlick (WR - senior this year, 6 TD catches and 631 yards receiving in 2016), Cory Joyce (2 TD catches and 231 yards receiving in 2016, junior this year) and then to a lesser degree (as a receiver), Zach Canimore (will be a junior).

Then at running back Mike Crescenzo (senior this year) is going to get plenty of carries in 2017 after serving as understudy to reliable running back Will Dogba (3,146 yards rushing and 35 ground scores last two seasons) with help from one or both of the Hebron brothers, Savaughn and Savion - both juniors (former Eagle running back Vaughn Hebron's kids). There are some other names floating around too while with FB Hayden Rooney gone that slot is available (the FB wasn't/isn't quite as important in that spread set-up Coach Wilmot has used since he took over in 2015 -- and his record is 20-5 in his first two years as the head honcho).

At QB, and with record setting, three-year starter Mason Jones graduated, the front runners (as I understand it) are looking to be Billy Clark (senior this year) and Brody McAndrew (sophomore this season, has very good arm). They both have good points so for the moment - we'll see (regardless of who it is either will have plenty of targets - see paragraph one above).

On the line they're expecting noise from senior to be John Copabionco (6', 6", 226 last year as a junior) and a few more returners (will get more later).

On defense watch for upcoming sophomore LB Zach Magdelinskas who will be a sophomore, listed at 5',11", 193 last season).

I'll get a more complete report soon. There will be a fair mount of new faces so I have to dig in a bit. A lot of starters are gone off the 11-1 team, that seemed to come up a little short of expectations, so it's an opportunity for people to step up.

And I apologize for the less than complete "news" but it's been a bit hectic out here in Hollyweird (so I'm getting to the party a little later than usual).

Ridley has A very intersting opening game this year with Father Judge. I l know Judge hasn't been able to compete with St Joes or Ladalle , etc, but they seem to do ok out of the PCL

Can any PCL guys give me a brief thumbnail on Judge this year ?

Burrs, do you see LS competing with Prep this year?

I do. SJP does return some really good defensive player. I think like 7 starters on that side. A lot will depend on offense, where the shawls will probably take a step back. How do you lose Swift and a really good OL and not? They have the QB still, but it will be interesting to see how well offensive newcomers develop and how quickly.

Ridley has A very intersting opening game this year with Father Judge. I l know Judge hasn't been able to compete with St Joes or Ladalle , etc, but they seem to do ok out of the PCL

Can any PCL guys give me a brief thumbnail on Judge this year ?

Judge had 21 seniors on the roster last year and every player honored as an AC was a senior. They have a couple of potentially solid backs in Tim Weldon, a bruising type runner and Katob Joseph, who is the speedier of the two. WR Steve Arrington is a capable threat on the outside and doubles as a good DB. Rising jr. Shane Dooley will be the QB and he's a versatile and tough kid. I think he can be a good one. The Crusaders lost most of their quality lineman, so a rebuild is in order here. Defensively, not too man names ring out to me. They usually have some scrappiness on that side of the ball. Without knowing what they're adding I'd say a .500 season would be a solid showing based on returnees. I don't expect them to threaten the pcl heavyweights.

Good reveal on the power structure of D1 and 3 with Coatesville visiting Cumberland Valley 9/1. CV has few back but will be good as always vs a more mature Raider group this year. CV’s physical brand of football may have surprised last year, defeating a younger group at home 41-21, one of two losses for them; CV ended 9-4.
Slight role reversal this year but Eagles are always strong in the trenches with heads up well coached players. Very tough winning at cozy Chapman Field behind the school. Great atmosphere!
Stalker,
Do the Red Raiders stand a chance? If so how can they go about winning the game?

CYO -

They have pass catching talent back in guys like Oleh Manzyk (TE/LB/DE - junior this year, 15 TD catches and 1,003 yards receiving in 2016, 1st team all-state, PFN, TE), Mike Garlick (WR - senior this year, 6 TD catches and 631 yards receiving in 2016), Cory Joyce (2 TD catches and 231 yards receiving in 2016, junior this year) and then to a lesser degree (as a receiver), Zach Canimore (will be a junior).

Then at running back Mike Crescenzo (senior this year) is going to get plenty of carries in 2017 after serving as understudy to reliable running back Will Dogba (3,146 yards rushing and 35 ground scores last two seasons) with help from one or both of the Hebron brothers, Savaughn and Savion - both juniors (former Eagle running back Vaughn Hebron's kids). There are some other names floating around too while with FB Hayden Rooney gone that slot is available (the FB wasn't/isn't quite as important in that spread set-up Coach Wilmot has used since he took over in 2015 -- and his record is 20-5 in his first two years as the head honcho).

At QB, and with record setting, three-year starter Mason Jones graduated, the front runners (as I understand it) are looking to be Billy Clark (senior this year) and Brody McAndrew (sophomore this season, has very good arm). They both have good points so for the moment - we'll see (regardless of who it is either will have plenty of targets - see paragraph one above).

On the line they're expecting noise from senior to be John Copabionco (6', 6", 226 last year as a junior) and a few more returners (will get more later).

On defense watch for upcoming sophomore LB Zach Magdelinskas who will be a sophomore, listed at 5',11", 193 last season).

I'll get a more complete report soon. There will be a fair mount of new faces so I have to dig in a bit. A lot of starters are gone off the 11-1 team, that seemed to come up a little short of expectations, so it's an opportunity for people to step up.

And I apologize for the less than complete "news" but it's been a bit hectic out here in Hollyweird (so I'm getting to the party a little later than usual).

Mole: Is there a link to last years stats for the skins?

A few of my favorite early season games to watch will be Tampa Jesuit/ St Joe Prep, Oxbridge Academy/Archbishop Wood ,LaSalle/North Penn and st Peters Prep/ St Joe Prep.
Those are some great matchups, and I'm planning on being at Crawford Stadium for NP/LS - those two have a legit shot to meet again in December. I think Wood/Bergen is interesting also. Devlin always has those guys believing, and Bergen is going to be very tough. While not necessarily indicative of anything, Coatesville and SJP have a 7v7 scheduled for next week. Good chance to get a peek at young Ortega and see what he looks like now. Also to see what SJP has as options to fill myriad positions left open by graduation.

Reactions: lilromeo
I do. SJP does return some really good defensive player. I think like 7 starters on that side. A lot will depend on offense, where the shawls will probably take a step back. How do you lose Swift and a really good OL and not? They have the QB still, but it will be interesting to see how well offensive newcomers develop and how quickly.
I agree. LS returns a lot of starters, is senior-heavy and will certainly by motivated by last year's results. And Steinmetz probably hasn't left the film room since Thanksgiving. SJP has big shoes to fill, and a lot of them. But they have a good number of talented young bulls for Infante to work with - as you noted, it will be interesting to see how well and how quickly they develop. They will likely rely on a veteran defense to carry the burden early in the season. Counting SJP out would be foolish, but at this point LS looks to be very strong. I've already circled that game on the calendar - should be a classic.

If Beck doesn't bring in some players he has no shot in the post season. High School football in SE PA has become way too predictable. Coatesville maybe is one other team that has a puncher's chance for the pubs. No one else is in the same stratosphere as the PCL. Just the facts.....

Judge had 21 seniors on the roster last year and every player honored as an AC was a senior. They have a couple of potentially solid backs in Tim Weldon, a bruising type runner and Katob Joseph, who is the speedier of the two. WR Steve Arrington is a capable threat on the outside and doubles as a good DB. Rising jr. Shane Dooley will be the QB and he's a versatile and tough kid. I think he can be a good one. The Crusaders lost most of their quality lineman, so a rebuild is in order here. Defensively, not too man names ring out to me. They usually have some scrappiness on that side of the ball. Without knowing what they're adding I'd say a .500 season would be a solid showing based on returnees. I don't expect them to threaten the pcl heavyweights.
I know that LaSalle returns more starters overall than SJP, but you could say that Sayre was a bigger part of LaSalle's offense last year than Swift was of SJP's--not saying, obviously, that Sayre was as good as Swift but take Sayre away and LaSalle would have had a very meagre offense. This they have Jones back, but the question remains how much of a passing attack can he lead. Maybe they have another good runner transferring in.

If Beck doesn't bring in some players he has no shot in the post season. High School football in SE PA has become way too predictable. Coatesville maybe is one other team that has a puncher's chance for the pubs. No one else is in the same stratosphere as the PCL. Just the facts.....
One of the most talked about topics on another site is the 4-5 transfers that have taken place in North Penns favor .

Stalker,
Do the Red Raiders stand a chance? If so how can they go about winning the game?

IAdelco....
Cumberland Valley, Central Dauphin and Wilson may be royalty in the district but are far from unbeatable so yeah IAdelco, they definitely have a chance with so many returning starters, multi threat QB Ortega, Young and company plus last year’s experience and motivation off a bad loss.

The only team that dominated CV last year was Harrisburg (11-4) who was really a freakish group with D1 Marion Barber and Micah Parsons at DE eliminating half the playbook. Not exactly a Coatesville clone but a gifted, balanced team (like Coatesville) who routed them in Mechanicsburg so it is doable. Other losses where to heavy weights Wilson (12-2) and State College (10-2) where they lost substantial half time leads. 5A Lower Dauphin (5-5) upset them 15-10 and all were balanced attacks who ran well against them. So, obviously, do that and you stand a chance.

They run the Wing T that while predictable is difficult to defend, especially today with so many offenses going to the spread allowing this basic offense to really sneak up on you. A good Wing T coach is tough to beat and the Eagles have been running the thing for over 20 years with Coach Whitehead made HC 4 years ago (CV grad) after 19 years there as an assistant. As Coatesville found out, just seeing the backs can be a challenge and speedy Jake Palmer returns, 5-9, 175, sr. Doubt the principles have changed much of keying on guards, beating up the center, keeping them in front of you and not allowing the corners to play too soft. I’m not a coach IA with no X-O expertise other than that gained in HS at Gburg and CD as a LB, but that offense can really put a D in conflict so no matter how fancy you go at it….it will stress any defense. Blitzing can kill you against them as they adjust so well and can always pass with last year’s soph back, Jared Plessinger 6-1 175. Their best player is probably Charlie Katshir, 6-3, 195 (SS/WR last yr) who is talented as he is smart so they have a solid offensive core back. Some D losses but will reload around OL/DL Jacob Fetteroff, 6-3, 275, sr, LB Christian Arrington 6-2, 220 sr and Katshir.
Road games are difficult at Chapman Field on grass but they have a game up on them this year, as they did last year with Gratz. Not really being a road warrior (eg, SJP, NPenn, Nesh) should make this a difficult one for Raiders. CV will fill the place in their opener.

Reactions: lilromeo
Burrs, who do you see as the current favorite in the PCL Red...assuming it'll be between Prep, LS, and AW?

Stalk -

I know the season is just about here when you start banging out your more detailed write-ups (I love them -- especially the D3 stuff).

And let's see -- kickoff is Friday, August 25 which means just 47 days to go (that's practically tomorrow).

Yay - it's almost here!!!!

Burrs, who do you see as the current favorite in the PCL Red...assuming it'll be between Prep, LS, and AW?

Yea, your assumptions are correct. Solid chance that those three are very competitive with one another. I'd lean towards SJP as of today. Could be really close. The rest of the league might be ok in normal standards, but the three mentioned aren't normal. It could be a major struggle for all of them. Tho, I think Carroll could show improvement considering where they've been recently.

It's crazy how Prep reloads. They lost their entire OL, Swift, and a top WR yet they are still the favorite in the best league in the state.

Carroll is certainly headed in the right direction under Connor. I'm excited to see their progress.

It's crazy how Prep reloads. They lost their entire OL, Swift, and a top WR yet they are still the favorite in the best league in the state.

Carroll is certainly headed in the right direction under Connor. I'm excited to see their progress.
I saw Carroll twice last yr and they were young. I think they will improve over last yr with those youngsters gaining experience and Connors coaching. I think they need a coupe more yrs with Connors system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT