ADVERTISEMENT

1st Annual Bucks/Montco All-Star Game this Friday at Tennent

Minimal mention of it outside some Facebook posts from area coaches. I'd like to make the trip, but it might not be in the cards.

Just stumbled across this article. I had no idea the game was even being played. To piggyback the thread of the city game, there isn't much media coverage on any of these games. Rosters are listed in the article. The game will be dedicated to Roger Grove who recently passed away.

http://papreplive.com/blog/2016/05/...-classic-dedicated-to-former-neshaminy-coach/
Thanks relayer.This area does a poor job of high school football with the exception of Ted Silary. I sincerely hope that someday people around the Philly area give our teams the recognition they deserve. Way too much emphasis provided by sports radio and the print media on the pro game with HS coverage always an afterthought. Sprts radio never mentioned our recent state champs in basketball or prior years football teams .I called in two years ago and was screened out before I could get on air to give a shout out to the Prep and Wood. I suppose I am a minority on this issue ,but wish it was different.

Reactions: newman107
I wish it was better too lilromeo.

That said, good to see that both WNPV and WBCB will both broadcast the game on Friday.

I can't blame guys like Rick O'Brien. He spends every day covering the baseball playoffs all over SE PA. In my book that trumps a football exhibition game. In fairness to Rick, he sent out a plethora of pictures and updates from the city game via twitter.

By the way, here is my anti-D1 rant for today. They are playing the CRN-Pennridge D1 baseball championship game at Methacton? I guess CBW, CBS, CBE, Tennent, H-H, Neshaminy, Souderton, Upper Moreland, NP, etc were not available? I was hoping to see this game, but won't because of more ineptitude. Hell, play it at BCCC or Del Val College.

Sounds like it was a decent game. Game story courtesy of the Bucks County Courier Times.

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes....cle_5fb7ea88-8257-54a3-a8ae-b0d790948c32.html
  • Montco edges Bucks in first-annual all-star game
By Drew Markol, staff writer

WARMINSTER — There was a lot of good; there was some bad; and there was plenty of entertainment.

For a first-time effort, Friday night's inaugural Bucks/Montco Lions Football All-Star Classic came off pretty well.

In the end, after a furious rally by the Bucks County side came up short, the Montgomery County All-Stars walked off with a 19-17 win at William Tennent High School.

"I want to thank all of my teammates; they just played great," said North Penn running back Nyfease West, who will soon be headed to Delaware State to play.

"It was nice to be able to play in this game. I played in the (statewide) East/West Game recently, and we won that in the last seconds like this one."

It was West who broke free behind the secondary to haul in a 35-yard scoring strike from Branden Mack (Cheltenham) with just over 90 seconds left that put Montgomery up 19-17.

"That was just a great play by Branden," West said. "That's why he's going to Temple, because he's just really talented."

West's touchdown swung all of the momentum over to Montgomery, but, to its credit, Bucks made it quite interesting.

Starting from his own 23-yard line, Bucks quarterback Tom Garlick (Quakertown, Ursinus) completed five passes, including a clutch fourth-and-5 conversion with a scrambling heave to Rob Daly (Pennsbury, Ithaca) for 30 yards that put Bucks on the Montgomery 7 in the closing seconds.

After killing the clock with a spike (Bucks had no timeouts left when the drive started), the Bucks squad sent kicker Steve Iannuzzi (Central Bucks South) out for a 24-yard field goal try that sailed wide right, ending the game.

In the previous series, Iannuzzi, also a wide receiver, completed a 51-yard option pass to Daly that set up the go-ahead score for Bucks, which came on a 1-yard plunge by Garlick.

"There were so many plays in this game that could have gone either way," said Bucks head coach John Donnelly, the head coach at Central Bucks East.

"This is just a special game, and we need to build on it and make it great year after year. Our kids, despite not winning, talked about what a great experience it was to play in this first one, and I'm just proud of all of them."

While the game ended wildly, it also began that way, as Montgomery scored on the first play from scrimmage when Mack found teammate Akeem Brown (Cheltenham, California University of Pennsylvania) for a 65-yard strike with just 11 seconds gone off the clock.

"Branden Mack is such a smart, smart player, and he can do so many things so well," said Montgomery head coach Tim Sorber, who stepped down as Abington head coach a few months ago.

"We thought we were going to have Casey Walsh from Hatboro-Horsham as our quarterback, but he got sick and couldn't play, so Branden stepped in.

"I'm not sure where he's going to play at Temple, but you could have the offensive and defensive coordinators fighting over him at wide receiver or defensive back, he's that good."

Bucks answered the TD with a 20-yard field goal from Iannuzzi, then took the lead on its next possession as quarterback Mike Alley (Pennsbury, West Chester University) found Harry S. Truman's Maurice Jackson (University of Richmond) from 8 yards out to give them a 10-7 lead late in the first quarter.

A 1-yard burst by Mack in the closing seconds of the second quarter gave Montgomery a 13-9 lead at halftime.

Defensively, Council Rock North's Tom Hewitt (Holy Cross) picked up MVP honors for Bucks with three sacks.

"I was a little hesitant about playing because I didn't want to get hurt before college, but I'm glad I did," Hewitt said. "To get the chance to play one more high school game was a lot of fun."

Notes: The game was dedicated to the memory of former longtime Norristown head coach Roger Grove, who passed away last month. ... Neither team had any success running the ball as Bucks managed just 43 yards on the ground (28 attempts) and Montgomery had just a single yard (25 attempts). ... Upper Moreland's Ryan Cavanaugh had the game's lone interception.

I wish it was better too lilromeo.

That said, good to see that both WNPV and WBCB will both broadcast the game on Friday.

I can't blame guys like Rick O'Brien. He spends every day covering the baseball playoffs all over SE PA. In my book that trumps a football exhibition game. In fairness to Rick, he sent out a plethora of pictures and updates from the city game via twitter.

By the way, here is my anti-D1 rant for today. They are playing the CRN-Pennridge D1 baseball championship game at Methacton? I guess CBW, CBS, CBE, Tennent, H-H, Neshaminy, Souderton, Upper Moreland, NP, etc were not available? I was hoping to see this game, but won't because of more ineptitude. Hell, play it at BCCC or Del Val College.
Relayer,
Just saw your post about the Pennridge - CRN baseball game. Methacton has a real nice, new baseball complex. A private business came in built the complex at no cost to the taxpayers. It's much better than NP, West and some of the others which are just basically open fields. It seems D1had already picked out Methacton before it was determined it was two Bucks County teams.

By the way, quite an accomplishment for CRN without a tremendous player (McIlvaine - sp)

Good to see you back Hoops. CRN was one of the favorites all season coming off the D1 title last year.

For me it was more a matter of location, two Bucks County teams playing in western Montco doesn't make much sense. With 4pm starting times, the games are tough enough to attend anyway.

I guess family and friends only will be attending CRN and Father Judge today. A 1:30pm start at Neumann University in Delco on a Monday. Judge has graduation so there was little choice when to play it.

It's odd to me that only one state playoff game is a night game (Plum and Erie McDowell at Slippery Rock). This time of year, I'd think you'd want as many games in a showcase slot as possible. I know there was a lot of grumbling that the D11 finals wasn't a night game for the first time in decades (Balliet Stadium in Copley is still under construction, the IronPigs wanted an insane amount of money to host this year and the two remaining host sites with lights are Parkland and Easton's Legion field, and D11 rightly wasn't giving either finalist a home game).

Anybody a DTW baseball person on here? Easton's in the state baseball playoffs for the first time since 1993 and draws the Whippets in the first round today. DTW's record is gaudy (18-3), was it an upset getting knocked out of D1 playoffs? I'm assuming Drew Britt is going to throw based on some quick Googling. Perfect Game has him in the mid-80s on the showcase circuit last summer, that seem about right?

Easton's starting EPC Pitcher of the Year Pete Violante (8-2, 1.94 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 55 K's in 65 IP). He'll give the Rovers a shot, Lehigh's coaches had him 83-84 on Saturday in D11 semis, bumping 86 a handful of times, and he's a pretty good athlete for his size (led the Rovers in scoring this winter in hoops). Pretty balanced lineup (hitting .321/.408/.463 as a team), first baseman Trey Durrah (.403/.483/.611 and the QB in the fall) is their only D1 player (Lafayette), but they have a handful of D2 and D3 guys in both baseball and football in the lineup, including the rare "defensive tackle/right fielder" combination.

DTW lost to CRN is the district semis 2-1, so it wasn't an upset per say. The seedings were a little wacky based on the point system.

CRN defeated Judge today 2-1. I see Boyertown beat Olney 18-0. My question is how did Judge ever lose to Onley?

Marple-Newtown upset D3 champ Ephrata 4-2 and will face CRN Thursday.

D1 Champ Pennridge lost to Cumberland Valley 2-0 in 8 innings.

Did anyone see this softball score? Williams Valley 39 GAMP 0. That is hard to believe.

Last edited:
Easton knocked out DTW 1-0, great baseball game. Violante gave up four hits and walked one and struck out five in a complete game shutout. Drew Britt allowed two hits in the hard luck loss, winning run coming via a hit batter, wild pitch, sac bunt, and RBI ground out. Britt looks like he'll get drafted in two years, there's definitely more velocity in the 6'4 230 pound frame. Milano needs to find that kid a helmet!

Looks like Easton-Cumberland Valley in the next round, winner gets the Boyertown-Wyoming Valley West winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT