ADVERTISEMENT

$15.00 an hour !

I'm sure it hurts the mom and pops, but there's no reason Home Depot or McDonald's shouldn't be paying a living wage. There should be some way to balance it out.

If min wage goes up so I'll the cost of the service those jobs pertain to, Econ 101. I do not know what to think businesses will get their money one way or another

Henry Ford knew back in the 20's that he needed to pay his workers a living wage so they could buy his goods. Now-a-days it's all about getting crap cheap.

A living wage is something you can actually live on. Not an arbitrary number some suit thought was fitting. I think it varies. NYC is different from Boise. It's definitely more than $10/hour.

Last edited:
With Retail reeling, I don’t think you can look for $15 an hour there. And if not there, where? Beside unions, I don’t see the movement having any support-sympathy outside the movement. Those that are now at or above $15 an hour invested their time with a reasonable dose of talent and skill to attain that level of pay. It wasn’t handed to them.

I don't think people sweeping floors or loading trucks or painting houses and trying to support a family are looking for anything handed to them. $15 / hour doesn't go very far when you have a family. When I was younger I think the min wage was around $3.25 and things were a lot cheaper. The min wage is now double that I think? The rest of life has probably quadruple.

Are you saying it is the business man’s duty to offer a wage that supports a family, that the business owner is obligated and responsible for seeing you have enough money to support yourself?

How about ramping up your skill sets for a higher wage?....or working a second job as many of us have done to make ends meet.

And what about ‘life decisions’ all of us make and the consequences of these decisions.

The minimum wage isn't about higher skill sets. It's about a fair minimum wage. "The World needs ditch diggers too Danny."

What about those who didn't get great grades, maybe aren't physically as able or who lost a parent and had to skip trade school or college and just provide?

Too often those who have think those who have not just because they were lazy or irresponsible.

I am for a fair days pay for a fair days work but this will come back to the consumer sooner rather than later. Like I said businesses will make their money one way or another, shareholders will make their money one way or another, CEO's will make their money one way or another

Minimum wage was never ever meant to support a family. Minimum wage used to be for summer jobs. And to your point RTC, even if life threw you a bunch of curve balls you couldn't hit, there are still trade jobs and plenty of them (plumber, roofer, etc.) that pay a hellava lot more than minimum wage. As Stalker said, there are life decisions and consequences. Common sense that if you're making minimum wage, you shouldn't be in the market to start a family and buy a house. Sounds harsh but they are the facts.

That's interesting, not starting a family or buying a house if you're on minimum wage? I wonder how are ancestors did it? I often hear about not having two dimes to rub together.

Do you guys give homeless people money or are you afraid they won't spend your donation wisely?

Last edited:
That's interesting, not starting a family or buying a house if you're on minimum wage? I wonder how are ancestors did it? I often hear about not having two dimes to rub together.

Do you guys give homeless people money or are you afraid they won't spend your donation wisely?

And the ancestors worked three jobs and didn't complain because who was there to listen? I've realized how great the Greatest Generation really was. They lived through two World Wars, the Great Depression, came out of the war and became the economic power of the world. They had to ration food, gas, and clothing just being normal citizens!! They didn't have to be homeless. Not that we have to go back to those days, but really how would we today handle rationing. Not well I think. Maybe Trump was right. America may still be the best country on earth but we haven't been great for a while.

And no I do not give money to the homeless, just for that reason.

I've heard about actual Presidents of the United States giving people 20% paycuts too. You're right, it's not easy out there!

Come on Reluctant, Paul’s point is simple, if you can’t pay you can’t play. It’s not derogatory to say I wanted an Avalon 10 years ago, couldn’t afford it and settled on a Corolla. That’s called responsible behavior, living within your means; kids, mortgage, whatever.
If I’m paying the person in the checkout line $15 dollars an hour….(it even sounds ridiculous!)….what in hell are the rest of us worth? You're saying we’re worth twice as much....right?....7.25 to 15.00?

Stalker and all I'm saying is sometimes people hit hard times not because of laziness like you guys always like to point out. I'm not talking about hand outs. I'm talking about a fair wage. I don't think I said 15, but somewhere above 10.

Stalker and all I'm saying is sometimes people hit hard times not because of laziness like you guys always like to point out. I'm not talking about hand outs. I'm talking about a fair wage. I don't think I said 15, but somewhere above 10.
I think you better re-read things before putting words out there. I never called anyone lazy.

Same here Reluctant. I never used the word lazy. If you're working three jobs at minimum wage to make ends meet, the last thing you are is lazy. I'm saying make a better choice. Instead of flipping burgers or mowing lawns, how about a trade?

Last edited:
Same here Reluctant. I never used the word lazy. If you're working three jobs at minimum wage to make ends meet, the last thing you are is lazy. I'm saying make a better choice. Instead of flipping burgers or mowing lawns, how about a trade?
Paul, good point in defending yourself on the "lazy" description. That's the problem with the dems on this board. THEY bring the word "lazy" into the conversation when the other side had not previously mentioned it, and when they are corrected, they run away and hide. They take no responsibility, but I wonder if they are even aware enough to know that they were out of line. It's the "I am never wrong" mentality that gets them into the hole (20% paycuts, screaming about teacher salaries in NC, etc.) that they are in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT