ADVERTISEMENT

1 of the 2

Re: Who is ..

He was La Salle's line coach and fitness and strength coach. Great guy. The players loved him!!

Re: Who is ..

Paul -

That's very good info to which I insinuated in previous thread. I suspect very strongly it will be the later.

Addono, is not a head coach plain and simple. He's been involved in the program for years and never had any responsibility other than o line and babysitting the weight room both of which he's been very, very average at. LS's weight room philosophies are the same as they were in 70's.

Let's also stop using the phrase, "kids love him," as if that should have anything to do with this decision. A great HS coach is someone you love after you played for them when you mature and understand why they did what they did. Great HS coaches push players, challenge them constantly and always ask for more. That can be uncomfortable for 16-18yr old kids, especially ones that may come from an affluent background but it is the what is needed in football to get the most out of a team. Of course they need to build a winning culture and bring a team together but you don't need to be friends with the players to do it.

AND, I am not talking about the stereotypical yelling and screaming football coach, we all know that is a way of the past.

Steinmetz is the lead guy. We can dissect that once he gets the job.

Agreed, I also believe Dom's actions last season were not indicative of what you want in a HC candidate. I believe they were off the cuff responses but you can't always shoot from the hip. Just my opinion.

I"m riding the same horse as you; we'll see.

No questions on Steinmetz. As I stated during the season he was thrown under the bus.Somethingobviously changed. That he resigned says alot. I believe he's a good candidate.

I'm hearing that the job is Steinmetz's if he wants the job. His relationship with Colistra (who's on the selection committee) has always been very good during Steinmetz's tenor. In my view he would be perfect as a HC due to his long standing commitment to that program as well as being a player's coach.

Heard this from the grapevine as well that Drew Gordon plans to get right back into it as an OC for an upper tier program as well as Schmidt taking a job as OLine coach for a major D12 program.

If Steinmetz and Gordon take those positions where will the younger Gordon go? He's too good a coordinator to not coach. His game plan over SJP in their 28-27 PCL final in 2012 was one of the best game plan's I ever witnessed.

This post was edited on 3/7 4:21 AM by kitwor

This post was edited on 3/7 4:24 AM by kitwor

This post was edited on 3/7 4:30 AM by kitwor

My previous post was inaccurate but this one is not. Absolutely ZERO chance Brett coaches at lasalle next year and he is not moving to Fla. Assuming Steinmetz gets job he will ask, but it won't happen. As unbelievable as it sounds no one from LS has reached out to him since his DG's departure, not even to be on the selection committee! What's interesting is that 5 other schools in the PCL and/or D12 have reached out including extreme LS rivals. Whoever gets the lasalle job better hope he doesn't accept any of the pending offers.

Can't speak to that but great suggestion for website to provide a forum for coaches to take questions from subscribers.

Nova, we know you think you're breaking news for CNN but you're not.

Since 2010, everyone at LS knew that Brett was going to stop coaching when Dad retired. If you ever spoke to Brett, you would know that too. It would be nice if he changed his mind but since his reasons were personal, I doubt they have changed and I take Brett at his word.

What 5 jobs have been offered that are in the 'pending offer" category that you now have him deciding on?

This post was edited on 3/8 9:47 PM by JBinPA

Kit, don't let the name fool you, he had one post and it was total BS; I'm sensing a trend here now with post 2 and 3.

This post was edited on 3/8 9:54 PM by JBinPA

BS huh? no one at lasalle has reached out to him he's not on the selection committee. care to dispute that? also, i said have offers, never said there is a pending decision. read post again. both
brett and DG have multiple offers to join others staffs in a varitey of
different capacities. are the people on this site naive enough to think
that competitors of lasalle wouldn't come after them immediately. these
two redefined how to run a high school offense and they had a bit of
success doing it. the lasalle faithful can say what they want but neither left with good feelings about the school. whether they are on
the sidelines next fall is up to them but there are numerous school
actively offering them jobs.

Nova-

You are the only one disputing that, in your first post....Brett is in discussions with LS admin and alumni, putting a staff together..

Disgruntled coaches rarely seem to rise again.... The schools, programs, and the kids always suffer when coaches and admin can't get along....

hey spider, i said i made an error with my original post. i apologize for my brian williams moment and i stated that earlier this week. after my first post i have only spoken the truth and you, JB and everyone else know it.

Spider, I would not put Brett Gordon in the category of a disgruntled coach. I think Brett was clear, at least to the LaSalle folks, that he was there as long as Drew was coaching. I almost got the sense that Brett coached to "help out" his Dad and they were a great combo. We owe them both a great deal.

Brett was just as clear that for personal reasons when Dad retired, Brett would no longer be coaching, anywhere. Now circumstances change as life goes on so nothing surprises me any longer. If Steinmetz gets the job will he make a call to Brett; most likely yes, but John knows all that I know and more. I doubt he is holding out any hope that there would ever be a change of heart.

Brett loves La Salle, as does Drew, and La Salle alumni, players and fans love them in return. Please don't label them, especially Brett, as disgruntled.

I have been trying to stay out of this one but I can do it! Shockingly I think nova is actually correct with a lot of what he is stating. Obviously his first post was irresponsible and dumb. I think Drew and Brett left because they didn't feel the playing field was equal in terms of school support. They are ultra competitive and didn't want to be handicapped by administration. The ultra competitive thing will lead them both back to coaching somewhere.

I do believe they are not happy with the school and feel disrespected and based on a few things I've heard I don't blame them. To say that Drew loves LS shows that you don't really know him JB. He doesn't operate that way. He loves some of his former players and he surely loves football/coaching but at this point he is indifferent about LS. If Brett is disgruntled he has ever reason to be. LS needs to blame themselves for that for not making him part of coaching selection process or at least asking to stay involved in some way. That is a slap in the face and a dumb decision.

hahahah - you lasalle guys crack me up. i'm not sure what the right word
is, disgruntled, frustrated, dumbfounded, but i assure you the emotion
the gordon's feel about lasalle right now is not love. if BG loves lasalle so much how come if steinmetz asks
for his help you believe he will turn him down? oh the personal
reasons, right......you don't think there may be a little more to it?
grow up peter pan

You seem to think life is all about HS football; for someone who hasn't posted a factual statement so far I can understand that type of thinking.

I told you that at least 5 years ago Brett was on record as saying he would not coach once his Dad retired. You do understand that simple sentence, yes? You do understand that was 5 years before his Dad left La Salle, right?

His reasons are personal and quite understandable; nobody is getting wealthy being a HS OC. The time they all devote can never match what their families miss out on. It's tough to be Dad and OC and the renumeration makes walking away the easy path to take.

PS ... are you really a Nova grad? Do you know Brett? Have you ever had a conversation with Brett?

Idk here boys, all this "talk" of BG coaching elsewhere is somewhat mindboggling to me?

Here was an All-State/All-American Maxwell/Henry Award winner from LaSalle, came back to his alma mater working for peanuts and occupation juggling to coach with his Dad, re-establishing a highly respected football program to a state/regional power. He's been inducted into the LaSalle sports H.O.F. and who's imprint in/on the school's walls and trophy cases are forever apparent.

Have known Brett for ~10 yrs, to see him ANYWHERE else at the high school level would be beyond strange, guess you never know??
This post was edited on 3/10 8:24 PM by yesman3

yesman you are correct. but that is why lasalle not reaching out to brett makes no sense. the ad, the principle, the president, they all know him and no one even puts a call in to gauge his thoughts or ask that he stay involved at least to help identify the new coach? it doesn't add up but if DG takes a job BG will be back involved at some level.

JB, you implied that we spoke 5 yrs ago??????

Nova,
You're right, it doesn't add up. I find it extraordinarily strange if the LS hierarchy has not reached out to Brett. I do know he is not on the selection committee for the next coach, that in itself is a little odd but it is what it is.

If the possibility even exists to coach elsewhere, then where??

The only regional high schools that is football paramount and administratively generous to the football program that could compete with SJP is Wood and Imhotep. IMHO.. North Penn when the program had the horses may have been interesting?

...would find it extremely unlikely that the Gordons' would play 2nd fiddle to either of those HC's!!

This continues to be a very bizarre circumstance..

What's strange from an outsider's perspective is that Steinmetz resigned a couple of months ago, with some of the LaSalle guys on here expressing certainty that there had been no disagreement/friction with one or both of the Gordons, and now he is said by at least some of the LaSalle guys to be the main candidate for the HC job now that DG has resigned and BG is apparently completely out of the picture, even though he is forever enshrined in the LaSalle Sports HoF.

Btw Nova, if an alum of LaSalle and going by your user name, I believe "we" know who you are?

I hope you're well brother!! My best to the family..

I think part of the equation is what Schmidt did to the coaching staff during the season. It had to be part of the situation.
This post was edited on 3/10 10:04 PM by paul from philly

yesman, i assure you i have no idea who are. if you know me i encourage you to post my name or reach out to me directly.

Tulla, i wonder if you are on to something.

Nova,
Would never post your name on this forum whether assumed or not. Will reach out directly if I see you at a private/school function.

Be well..

Nova, poor writing on my part, no we've never spoken; what I mean was I had told you up front that as early as 2010 Brett had stated that when Drew retired, Brett would no longer coach. That was the reference to 5 years ago.

You seem to be personal friends with Brett, are you?

not personal friends, i'm more in DG's era than BG'st but I knew him when he was at nova and i have some ties to their coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT