ADVERTISEMENT

You want to see overated?

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Try PSU's Coach Franklin on for size as he limps along unable to beat the big boys, just like it was at Vandy. Here's his record against the big three....Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State since arriving in 2014. No opinion, just the facts. Maybe I should start a new list that includes Minnesota. And to think Jim Harbaugh is in trouble at M unable to beat OSU!

Michigan 2-4
MSU 2-4
OSU 1-5
Total 5-13.
** Bowls 2-3

Reactions: solfootballfan
Minnesota played an awesome game and hoping they get a shot at the Buckeyes in the Big 10 championship. Franklin reminds me of Brian Kelly where they aren’t winning many of the big games. (Both are damn good coaches though)

No doubt that PSU can’t lose to Minnesota and expect to be a national power. Need to install a power family for short yardage and red zone in order to score more consistently - without a lights out QB, a FB needs to be on the field and QB under center. And secondary just needs better players.

But, don’t forget they’re still recovering from the JoePa deal.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lties-breaking-down-the-ncaa-sanctions#slide6

No doubt that PSU can’t lose to Minnesota and expect to be a national power. Need to install a power family for short yardage and red zone in order to score more consistently - without a lights out QB, a FB needs to be on the field and QB under center. And secondary just needs better players.

But, don’t forget they’re still recovering from the JoePa deal.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lties-breaking-down-the-ncaa-sanctions#slide6
I know I'm repeating myself but how many McSorley's and Barkleys can they ever hope to have....and they're both history. Like a lot of grads/fans, I'm beyond disappointed having been raised in Lion Country and a fan since childhood. I hear you Fletch on Coach Paterno and guess that's part of the disappointment and anger still wrestling with those mixed feelings. He was "the man" for so long.

Reactions: solfootballfan
Try PSU's Coach Franklin on for size as he limps along unable to beat the big boys, just like it was at Vandy. Here's his record against the big three....Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State since arriving in 2014. No opinion, just the facts. Maybe I should start a new list that includes Minnesota. And to think Jim Harbaugh is in trouble at M unable to beat OSU!

Michigan 2-4
MSU 2-4
OSU 1-5
Total 5-13.
** Bowls 2-3

isn't Franklin delegating? I think he’s more of a recruiter?

How about lasalle vs their rival Prep and Wood since DG left in 2014...........No opinion just the facts.

LS vs Wood 0-5
LS vs Prep 1-9

Total 1-14

HS Coaches like refs these days are hard to come by. Not many let go for just poor performance, above is telling.

Well here are some reasons why PSU is good and not great

1. Football talent in PA is a shell of it's former self
2. PSU is in the wrong conference should be in the ACC
3. PSU has to catch up on recruiting the National stage and its a tough sell to go to Florida and tell a kid hey want to come here.
4. PSU cant even get the states top recruits anymore

Now PSU will always be relevant and has a great program and could be elite but they have to keep grinding and keep going after top players nationally

Sammyk, I would disagree on a couple points:
first, they are in the right conference. ACC would not give them anything the Big 10 doesn't already give-national recognition, great conference competition, playing in areas where you recruit, playing similar type of schools (big state schools w/ good academics), etc.

second, they can recruit on a national level (just haven't done it very well) b/c they are a big public school with a huge alumni base. If Franklin wanted to he could go into Cali or Texas and pull a couple 4 star recruits. You can go into the southern states and sell PSU on a lot & weather doesn't have to be an issue. Do you think the weather is that much better in Ann Arbor or Columbus?

I will agree that the recruits in state are not what they used to be. PA may have at 2-3 4 star or 5 star guys each year. They haven't been able to pull all the elite ones (see Julian Fleming) so that does hurt. But they have enough of a talent pool between PA, NJ, Eastern Ohio, Maryland/Virginia to compete if you can steal a couple Fla, Georgia, Texas type skill guys.

No reason that PSU shouldn't be able to compete with Ohio St. if they recruit better. Remember, Justin Fields originally committed to PSU before going to Georgia. When he had a 2nd chance, he then chose Ohio St. If they win that battle, they have a better chance at competing with the Buckeyes...

Sometimes it is the coach who pushes the program up to the next level. As an example, if you could get Urban Meyers to take over the Penn State or ND job , those programs would become so relevant so quickly, the SEC would be shaking in their boots. I don't like Meyers that much for the way he has left jobs in the past but he has won with two different teams in two different climates. Franklin is not that guy, not even close.

How about lasalle vs their rival Prep and Wood since DG left in 2014...........No opinion just the facts.

LS vs Wood 0-5
LS vs Prep 1-9

Total 1-14
I'm shocked that the alumni from Lasalle haven't raised cain about what has happen to the program. It all boils down to poor coaching as they get great numbers out in terms of players. To lose to Wood 5 times in a row and the Wood team this year is just a good team with no great players is a disgrace. Plus the gap with Prep has jumped immensely ! Time for a change

Interesting question Ram. Would you look for alumni to raise heck? My experience with multiple alumni is this forum. Can't be everywhere and hear everything at all times.
Other than Ridley I haven't heard any alumni raise heck over their team. Would you expect that? Everyone wants their HS to win. But let's look at Prep, when they lose to Lasalle (yes it has happened), my perception was not that their alumni were screaming.
Is the program in bad shape? Would the alumni in their right minds say they need to build something similar to the Prep?

I'm shocked that the alumni from Lasalle haven't raised cain about what has happen to the program. It all boils down to poor coaching as they get great numbers out in terms of players. To lose to Wood 5 times in a row and the Wood team this year is just a good team with no great players is a disgrace. Plus the gap with Prep has jumped immensely ! Time for a change

Why would the Alumni of La Salle raise Cain? They won all the games they were supposed to. The Wood game was close so it's not like they were run over by a Mac truck. They were 8-3. You're a tough audience Ram!! You've just got to face the fact that St. Joe's is on a much higher pedestal. You gonna scrap a perfectly good BMW just because it can't keep up with a Lamborghini!!?? And Steinmetz aint the problem, if there is one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT