ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL Top 8 - Week 4

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Well, this board seems a little dead, so I figured I'd post some rankings to see if that starts any conversation:

1. Woodland Hills: Solid win over Bethel Park, and Woody always improves as season progresses. They won't be tested again until West-A.
2. Pine-Richland: Little bit of a slow start vs. Fox Chapel, but nice win at home versus NA. Turnovers killed NA's offense that game, but their defense didn't have an answer for Jurkovec and company.
3. Penn-Trafford: Very nice win over McKeesport last week. Senior laden team. Only tough game left will be Plum.
4. North Allegheny: Played PR tough and got huge win over PCC. Came out slow vs. PCC but wore them down in the end.
5. Central Catholic: Best talent in WPIAL - need to find a way to get it together before week 8 matchup with PR.
6. Bethel Park: One turnover away from beating Woody - could easily be top 4 team. Tough schedule and good coaching with Senior QB.
7. McKeesport: Tough loss to Penn-Trafford. Only competition left is Plum. The must find some sort of passing game, or they can't win the big games.
8. Plum: Nice win over an always tough North Hills team has them sitting at 3-0. Could go on a run until late season games vs. PT and McKeesport.

Also receiving votes:
Lebo: They have to beat someone to convince me they won't have a late season skid like last year.

Very nice work new2pa!
Quick hit here with no time for comments.

Pine Rich
PTraf
Woody
Pitt CC
USC
Plum
McKees
No. Alley
Bethel
Lebo

Updated:

1. Woodland Hills: Another easy win over Baldwin, but Sander hurt his foot. Will be ok, but need him back for stretch run.
2. Pine-Richland: Dominated Kiski. Still looking for their defense to get better. Must do that before Central.
3. Penn-Trafford: They have no competition left until a couple weeks when they play Plum.
4. North Allegheny: Should win out by mercy rule with possible speed bump vs. North Hills last game of the year.
5. Central Catholic: No Change - Best talent in WPIAL - need to find a way to get it together before week 8 matchup with PR. Versus Fox Chapel they went back to more 2 back ground and pound plays.
6. Bethel Park: One turnover away from beating Woody - could easily be top 4 team. Tough schedule and good coaching with Senior QB.
7. McKeesport: Only tough game left is vs. Plum. Should win over other one by 20+
8. Plum: As I said above, holding pattern with winning until PT and McKeesport. Could be interesting for a while this week vs. Kiski - who have some athletes, but no real scheme.

Also receiving votes:
Lebo: They have to beat someone to convince me they won't have a late season skid like last year.
SV: Have some athletes and a decent system - next week against PR will be their next test to see if they can play with the big boys.

As a side note, was able to see some of the USC-NA game. USC is not in a class with any of these top tier teams. A couple nice sized lineman, but skill players are severely lacking on both side of the ball.

-Woody? Great stuff if can win in clutch
-PR, nice win vs NA, going 7-2 in worst case scenario with NH, PCC left
-PT, road game at Mustangs!
-NA....No D!
-CC, Just PR left but on road
-BP, a lot of bodes back like PT. May run out depending on Lebo. PH at home
-McKees, Shouldn't get cocky vs Hemp, get Plum at home
-Plum, 6-0 going into McKeesport with a decent, under rated defense

Ok now I got to hit the road for Harrisburg. Later new2pa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT