ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL Reclassification

aerogenes

Jan 31, 2021
Only a few weeks away from the official PIAA reclassification. A few changes have been reported already.

Central Catholic dropped from 6A to 5A. They have already announced they will play up in 6A.
Baldwin dropped from 6A to 5A.
Woodland Hills has dropped from 5A to 3A. No decision yet on if they will play up in 4A or 5A.

Real brave of Totten staying in 6A when all the quality/power teams are in 5A. Thanks aero, I just saw article in Pitt PG, a lengthy and interesting article.

Last edited:
WPIAL 4A is going to be even more loaded. Here's what I'm hearing.

Central Valley is moving from 3A to 4A
North Catholic is moving from 3A to 4A
South Fayette and West A are moving from 5A to 4A
Woodland Hills could drop all the way to 3A from 5A but 4A is a natural landing spot

And 4A already has: Thomas Jefferson, Belle Vernon, Aliquippa, and McKeesport

And South Fayette and West A could all be candidate to be in same conference as TJ, BV, and McKeesport. (I would expect CV to go with Quips.)

Real brave of Totten staying in 6A when all the quality/power teams are in 5A. Thanks aero, I just saw article in Pitt PG, a lengthy and interesting article.

4A is where the power is....

PCC beat P-R and mercy ruled Penn Hills - 2 of the 4 WPIAL Semifinalists in 5A. I do think staying away from P-R is smart if Coach K is coming back. 5A Moon did beat a decent SV team. Penn-Trafford got smacked by Belle Vernon (4A.)

P-R should be set up for a dominating run in 5A since the rest of the conference is mediocre in absolute terms. Penn Hills should be odds-on favorite next year with their QB back. You would think Gateway would also be a contender, but they have underwhelmed last few years.

6A will stink and probably have to play D8 in a subregional. NA needs to turn it around. SV has a lot of kids back next year, but I don't see Lebo being nearly as strong (huge, talented seniors class), and Hempfield, Norwin, CMac are who they are...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT