ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL AAAA Top 8 - Week 6

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
1. Woodland Hills: After a slow start, handled USC with ease. Need to get Miles back to pair with Shaw, as well as improve their passing game a little.

2. Penn-Trafford: With Plum's true colors showing in loss to Kiski, PT is essentially assured of its second undefeated season in a row. Likely won't be tested until 2nd round of playoffs.

3. Pine-Richland: Big game this week with an interesting Seneca Valley team who have a very good QB and play solid defense. I expect PR to win, but in a high scoring affair.

4. North Allegheny: Like Penn-Trafford, competition has essentially ended until the playoffs. The do have a season-ending rivalry game versus North Hills, but that looks to be a mercy rule affair judging from North Hill's showing versus PR last week.

5. Pittsburgh Central Catholic: Still have best talent in WPIAL, but need to get some kids healthy. Two-way monster C.J. Thorpe was out last game with injury. Still looking to find identity on offense, and consistent effort on defense.

6. Bethel Park: They have exploded offensively the past 2 weeks and look to continue that this week versus Lebo. I think they will, with a 21+ point victory.

7. McKeesport: Well, with Plum losing to Kiski last week, looks like smooth sailing to the playoffs. Hudson is a start, but not sure how far they can go being so one dimensional.

8. Lebo: While they are 5-0, I'm still not sold. They need a good showing versus Bethel Park to be considered a contender, but with only games left versus Woody and down USC and North Hills clubs, a 7-2 record with a possible home playoff game is in reach.

Others receiving votes:

- Seneca Valley: Only wins are against winless Fox Chapel and Butler, and North Hills (who have also only beat Butler and Fox Chapel). Bad loss to Norwin, but played very tough in opener vs. NA. Game this week against PR will determine if they have a chance at a home playoff game, or will end up on the road.

- Plum: Hard to recover after losing to Kiski. Not sure what this team is about. They need huge performances against PT and McKeesport.

- Kisk: Go figure - could conceivably get a home playoff game for finishing third in their conference.

1. Woody; Big tests vs West A, perhaps Lebo but at Wolvarina then who knows vs PHills. Lost to 2 of those 3 last year. Passing game!?
2. Penn Traf; Walk in the park in super weak Foothills equals 9-0.
3. Pine Rich; No test til Pitt CC
4. NA; Coming opponents Butler, Latrobe, Fox are combined 0-15! Who's afraid of the Wpial anymore!! NA doesn't have the weapons PR has to dismantle NHills so like Woody-PHills who knows in these rivalry games.
5. PittCC; No test til PR since SenVal can't win on the road.
6. Bethel; Maybe the best in west at 3-2....but 21 over Lebo in ML who beat them last year?
7. McKees; Amen, the flex will doom them at some point probably PR or PT again.
8. Lebo; Like QB Eddie Jenkins, RBs, their receivers and the FG kicker Garrett

I like PR or PT to come out of 7, playing State College before the West Final against Central Dauphin....projected to play Parkland in the final. Like Wpial to rep West....IF....Central Dauphin passing doesn't develop further.

I'm on the BP bandwagon after seeing them preseason and how well they played versus Woody and PCC! :)

On that note, just read on Twitter Lebo QB is hurt and may not be able to play QB - talked about him moving to WR this week, so I guess an upper body injury. That kid was a nice player and effective runner.

Stalker - you were right on Lebo. Game turned on a 98 yd pick-6, but MUCH closer than I ever expected.

Also, PR's defense MUST stop the big plays and their offense needs to convert in the red zone. FG/XP was miserable....

Not impressed with Central Catholic so far. They are loaded, talent wise but not playing well as a team IMO. Highly penalized to the extreme. Never seen anything like it . Soph QB Troy Fisher showing signs of being a good QB. I think their press clippings and D1 offers have gone to their heads. They beat a weak north Hills team 52-7 and I was not impressed. They still can get it together because they have so much size and talent but We shall see.

Right new2pa but Lebo has a veteran team playing at home and a heck of a tradition looking back over the years. BP might get back on track this weekend vs Penn Hills if can deal with their speed/athletes. Nasty little run coming up for PH at Bethel, SenVal then the war with Woody.

PCC; Need focus this weekend with SenVal in putting up a lot of points. Wow, Ii thought they'd struggle this year after graduating last year's disappointing team that had some players. Scored 24 on NA, 28 on PR so if anything left in tanks after PR game, Vikings could have hands full.

Seneca Valley is VERY good on offense. Defensively, I think they are suspect tho. PR easily should have had 50 if they wouldn't have shot themselves in the foot 3 times in the redzone. I think the PA announcer said PR had 450 yards of offense at halftime. From what I have seen of PCC, they are studs, but seem to be looking for an identity on offense - spread and ground and pound. They probably have the personnel to do that tho.

I could easily see SV keeping it close against PCC - their kids didn't quit and they have the firepower to score if PCC rolls off a couple big plays. I would still take PCC, but I wouldn't be surprised if SV pulls out a victory, particularly if they can score 21-24 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT