ADVERTISEMENT

WOOD WINS BIG

MC48

Gold Member
Jul 18, 2002
WOOD 42 to 7 Coaching big advantage in this game

Re really ?

I see a much closer game. Ive been told that Imhotep has many big, fast and skilled players and that they are coached well. Could be a 4th quarter win for either one of the teams

ramgreen check out the state game last year 42 to 0

This post was edited on 11/20 8:49 PM by MC48

I would think Wood would win. That Carter guy has Imhotep ranked above Wood in the Daily News . Either I have lost total touch with local football or Carter is a "not ready for prime time" high school football reporting. Or he is a PPL homer

This post was edited on 11/20 8:48 PM by chuvalo

I bet none of you guys have never seen Imhotep play this year. You judge them on one game. If I remember Wood got blown out by TJ in 2008.

If Imhotep coaching or lack there of is anything like what we witnessed last year vs S Fayette, Wood runs by 75. IC is hype this year just like last year. The Wood players will be better conditioned , better coached, and more disciplined. Wood will wear the underconditioned Panthers down. It will be a slow methodical run it down your throat process.

Imhotep should be 3 TD underdogs at a minimum.

Wood wins 35-7.

2008 was Wood first time in a state championship game and last year was Imhoteps first state chip that the reason I compared the two. I'm just saying you can have your on thoughts of the game but to say Imhotep is going to lose by 75 makes you sound really stupid!!!! And for the record Imhotep is 4-0 against the PCL. And 1 of those wins came against a good LaSalle team. I'm a h.s football fan and I enjoy good football so I'm excited to see two great Philly teams play against each other on Saturday.

I never said 75, that was someone else. Your comparison is apple and oranges. In 2008, Wood went in a heavy underdog to a superior TJ team. Last year Imhotep was the heavy favorite and got crushed by a very discipline and talented smash mouth team. I think Wood wins 42-20.

I wouldn't be shocked if Imhoptep pulls off the upset. More balanced attack then Wood. Be more shocked if it were a blowout.

I was responding back to a poster who said that Tep would lose by 75. The comparison was made because it was both teams first state chips and the both lost !! Imhotep had a bad game at the wrong time and they didn't make any excuses. VThat was last years team !!! Its funny to me but if you ask any of the Coaches in PCL that have played them they would differ with your thoughts.

I coach football, which means I have access to hudl as well as game film from multiple games as well as scrimmages of both teams.

In my opinion, based on seeing multiple games and scrimmages of BOTH teams, and seeing the championship games from both teams the other week...I really hate to say that I don't think Imhotep has too much of a chance to win. The only way I see Imhotep winning is if Wood completely breaks down and Imhotep takes advantage.

I do not think it will be as big of a blowout as Ben Franklin and that ridiculously talented, well coached and focused St Joes Prep....but I really don't think that the very talented and well coached Imhotep cam beat the incredibly talented and well coached Wood team.

Imhotep is a crazy talented team that can spread you out and throw the ball to some very talented kids, don't misunderstand what I am saying.

Wood is just, however crazy good. They have a dominant offensive line from the looks of it that FIRES off the ball low every single time; a collection of backs led by the very quick, fast and even downhill running McClenton (#1(, and the dangerous wrinkle (if you can call something as dangerous as it a wrinkle) of being able to run-to almost perfection-the most important plays of the Double Wing. The thing that is even more ridiculous, though, is what you saw when they played O'hara and Bonner....they can throw like some of the best passing teams around. The QB is big and has a cannon (an almost unheard of talent at QB for a team that is as dominant of a punch you right in the mouth "smash-mouth" football team) and a collection of recievers that can take over a game if given the chance. They have one wide out that is maybe a sophomore or even freshman, and even at the ripe age that he is, he looks like a man amongst boys against all of the defensive backs that I saw him matched up against.

I really, truly don't mean to or even want to sound like I am a Wood guy or somebody that goes around acting like a homer...because I am not. I couldn't stand them this year when they were putting whoopings on certain teams, including a Lasalle team who they let back in the game. Still, though, I cant come out here and lie to you fine gents. My honest assessment of Archbishop Wood is that even with how incredible they are, St Joes Prep might have had their hands full if they had scheduled Wood. Not saying the Wood would have done anything close to their usual D-word (dominate) let alone win, but it could have been close.

Prediction- Wood's defense has more trouble containing the Imhotep offense, but Imhotep has a very hard time

Wood 55
Imhotep 21

2008 has nothing to do with 2014, but neither does IC's 2013 loss. This is new year for both teams.

I think this game has a good chance to be very competitive. I think it benefits IC that they are perceived as the underdogs and in some cases heavy by the people on here. Being over confident (Like in last year's state final?) shouldn't be an issue.

I'm going to go with Wood, but I see a competitive game, 28-20.

As long as there are NOT any un-coachable moments, this is WOOD all the way.

- tipped balls going for interceptions for Imhotep
- punts hitting off of WOOD players and being recovered by Imhotep
- Soph kick returners dropping the ball on the 4 yard line and coughing it up
- phantom fumbles being recovered out of bounds
- city referees pulling yellow laundry out of their pocket after big WOOD plays

The only way a good team beats WOOD is if the un-coachable happens.

Look at LaSalle - they didn't get the lucky un-coachable breaks in the Prep game
and they couldn't even score an offensive TD.

WOOD is disciplined, technically perfect, ultra conditioned and will out work any team in the state.
Once Imhotep gets down by 2 TD's, they will start finger pointing and blaming and then,
the flood gates will open for a romp.

Imhotep's linemen are big and slooooooow and it will be a party in the Imhotep back field all afternoon.

The Bonner's and Ryan's would beat up on many, if not all of the Pubs teams on the Imhotep schedule.

Won't guess the score just a "W" and moving on to Great Valley and then Crestwood!

Roll Vikes!

In the games I saw Imhotep play they do look sloppy, but that was only against PPL teams and I'm sure part of that is the fact they know they can destroy them at any time. Imhotep seems to get a lot of quick points on special teams and big plays, which I don't think will happen this week. It may be competitive for a while and if there line gives the QB time to throw I do think Imhotep will put up some points but I don't see them stopping Wood very often if at all. I say 42-20 Wood and that is because I think Wood is just a really really good football team not because Imhotep isn't they just are a step or two below them.

Imhotep 42 Wood 14 just got a feeling these boys are ready to play

This post was edited on 11/21 11:54 AM by littleguyscoach

This is going to be a close game. Wood will not RUN the ball over Imhoetep. Wood will come out on top but will be a very close game.

Yo Little, weren't you the one who picked Frankford to pull the big upset a couple years ago. I hope you don't bet with your heart too.

Coach, that's pretty damn funny! Unfortunately for us Judge guys, I think your question rings true. Things over on Solly Ave. are really bad right now. I don't think I'd blame the kid for leaving. I wouldn't see it as walking out on a bad team, because they're not, it's just a bad environment.

Not whether the kids are ready to play; is the coaching staff ready to coach a meaningful game?

It is reasonable to question the ability of IC's coaching staff to coach well in a high stress, state playoff game. They have been in this situation twice and failed miserably both times. So, they do not have history on their side. Last year was more an embarrassment than the previous year so you can't even say they've improved.

I have faith that Devlin's staff will outcoach them based simply on the history of the two programs; will that be enough for Wood to win? We will see!

This post was edited on 11/22 10:23 AM by JBinPA

Jive, I understand. He is a great player without a doubt. I thought things at Judge were looking up with the new staff. From what I understand the kids like the open O they run and the new staff. I'm surprised to there there are rumblings.

JB, when Imhotep beat LaSalle last year was that a meaningful game? Yes, RS but in think both programs viewed as important. Granted IC's sidelines isn't as experienced as Wood's at this point.,

Huck, I just believed the difference in the game would be the talent on the sidelines; not the talent on the field. I think IC skill wise can play with anyone.

That said, in a high stakes, important game I'll continue to question IC's staff until they prove they can get it done. I'm comfortable with that even though they appear to have done a better job this season.

To answer your question, an early season game against a higher class team is not the same as a city championship game / state playoff game. At least, not in my estimation.

JB I believ they did a better job than lasalle's staff did last week who looked like they were lost. Your just biased vs ALL PUB TEAMS

LGC, not hiding the fact I think the PPL plays an inferior brand of ball when compared to the PCL

Now, when you can prove that statement wrong, come back and we'll discuss it.

All that aside, IC's staff, especially last year, was an embarrassment to their kids IMHO.
This post was edited on 11/24 12:01 PM by JBinPA

There is no doubt that the PCL is a better league then the PPL at this time. But it is comparing apples and oranges. The PCl has the ability to strongly recruit players to their schools. Where as most public schools are getting home grown talent (with the exception of the charter schools).

I think the 3A city title game was a great example of what the present and future of the city and state title games will become. Highly recruited teams that will steam roll most of the league until they reach a point in the playoffs when another highly recruited team is their opponent. If you are for or against it is not important, I just don't think its a good thing for high school football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT